PDA

View Full Version : an "itty bitty bitch"...pardon me - re: Googie's

travelerjim
February 4th, 2008, 19:58
I am an early riser...and recently thought I would escape the smokers who
seem to fill Grottino's Restaurant with smoke from the moment they open doors at 7:00am...

Grottino's has been ...and is ...one of my favorite stops for their American Breakfast...
I seek out the tables closer to the fans..and air conditioning...to combat the smokers...
and enjoy their breakfast - even though they have raised the price from 90 baht to 110 baht recently.

One morning I thought I would check out Googie's Restaurant ...as it has been
recommended many times by friends and on this board...

So it was 9:00am this one morning...and I thought I would walk around the Soi and try Googie's,
which is opposite the Day Night Hotel.

It looks bright and cheerful when you walk by the newly expanded Googies.
Googie recently added a second shophouse...and now has ample space for...all his hoped for ...many customers.

I first walked by the Googies at 9:00am - opening time...and saw the Staff were still preparing to open...mopping the floor.
So I walked around the block two more times and at 9:15am I tried to seat myself at the front most table in Googies.

BUT, to my surprise..,.the staff member who appeared to be manager in Charge...said - "Not Open"...
he was busy marking the chalkboard with the day's specials - I presume....and I was denied entry.

The tone of his voice was a "definite turnoff" to me..as I had patiently walked around the Soi 3 times waiting for them to open...
and with my three operations on my hips, I really was ready to sit down...and only wanted to be seated in the front most table ...
in front of the shophouse.

So - I replied to him - "NO Problem..I will go to another restaurant"...and proceeded to Grottino's.

The moral of this "itty bitty bitch" is sleep in and do not plan on arriving at Googie's
too soon after their stated 9:00am opening hour!

And, may I add another grumble?

One other late morning I did stop by Googie's to see the menu ...
after I had already enjoyed my regular breakfast much earlier that morning...
and wanted to see his menu and rest a spell...

Do NOT try to order the 35 baht breakfast special Googie advertises on his sidewalk billboard...
and in the Breakfast Menu - hot coffee with toast...come to find out -
it has not been available for a long - long time ..according to the Waiter.

But Googie's still enjoys a fine reputation...and I will try it again when next in the area.

thrillbill
February 4th, 2008, 21:14
Some of these young ones don't get it... they may be told to clean up the place and get the place open but don't realize that some of their chores could be done as they open up the place. I went to a cafe once for lunch (was suppose to be open by 11:30) and I was turned away because they were still sweeping the floor. I said to the gal, "You don't want customers?" She smiled and turned away. Look how many restaurants serve their food, one dish at a time and you may get your cup of steamed rice setting in front of your face before the main dish comes out... (This is why a successful place has to have its owner around for opening and closing-if not 24-7). And look at the banks...they can't count their money while the customers are still in;thus, most of them close around 3pm before people are out of work and CAN go to the banks. Why do they close at 3pm? I was told by a bank manager so they can count the money and close the books. Multi-tasking isn't a common skill here yet.

February 4th, 2008, 21:39
But Googie's still enjoys a fine reputation...and I will try it again when next in the area.
The old saying 'glutton for punishment' comes to mind. There are many fine cafes in S. Pattaya in which to eat breakfast without the need to patronize a place that is obviously not well run. 'Fine reputation' for what - abusing their prospective customers ?

February 5th, 2008, 00:34
I think you were just unlucky that day TJ. lets go together next time and see .

I have been there with a couple of other forum members and the staff were extremly pleasant, and the food was good.

No idea about the prices though - i was treated lol

Jetsam
February 5th, 2008, 00:42
Try their Norwegian breakfast, I had it with my "bf" , he recommended it to me because he had it many times times before with his former bf's , maybe not cheap 180 bht, blame it on the smoked salmon .

February 5th, 2008, 13:27
DELETED

February 5th, 2008, 14:23
Re: TravelerJim

I first walked by the Googies at 9:00am - opening time...and saw the Staff were still preparing to open...mopping the floor.
So I walked around the block two more times and at 9:15am I tried to seat myself at the front most table in Googies.

BUT, to my surprise..,.the staff member who appeared to be manager in Charge...said - "Not Open"...
he was busy marking the chalkboard with the day's specials - I presume....and I was denied entry.

Well at least they clean the place.......

Could it be that travelerjim misunderstood the Thai?

I admit to eating at Googie's several times a week. But since I sleep untill 10am I never go there until after 10:30am. Usually by that time there are several other customers in the place. I know that the waiters there are fined 150 baht if they serve a customer any time during the day without washing there hands after cleaning or using the toilet and even if they run their hands through their hair. So I am happy that hygenie is important at this restraunt.

It would have been better if the waiter had said, "excuse me sir, not open yet, can you sit and wait a few minutes" But some of the waiters don't speak English other than to know the menu. They have always given me good service. And one thing I like is that they refill they coffee without charge.

It may seem that I am making excuses for them. But I too would love to have coffee and toast or better yet afternoon tea with you Tj. Next time I see you out we can set a time if your are willing.

travelerjim
February 5th, 2008, 15:14
Re: TravelerJim

[i]I first walked by the Googies at 9:00am - opening time...and saw the Staff were still preparing to open...mopping the floor.

It would have been better if the waiter had said, "excuse me sir, not open yet, can you sit and wait a few minutes" But some of the waiters don't speak English other than to know the menu. They have always given me good service. And one thing I like is that they refill they coffee without charge.

It may seem that I am making excuses for them. But I too would love to have coffee and toast or better yet afternoon tea with you Tj. Next time I see you out we can set a time if your are willing.

Thank you Pattaya Male..
I would be pleased to have an afternoon coffee or tea with you at Googies.

What surprised me most when I attempted to sit down in the front most chair...
was the harshness and abruptness ..the tone of the Thai waiter's voice..saying in effect ..
I am the boss and we are NOT open yet...(at 9:15am).

Yes, had he merely said "Please be seated...we will wait on you in a few moments.
Thank you for coming to Googies!

I was ready to wait..only needed to rest my tired hips and legs.

But that is now past..and I will try again.

Also, Thanks to JB for the suggestion of the restaurant for breakfast ...
Must find it and give it a try :-)

bigben
February 5th, 2008, 16:37
Someone needs to whisper in the owners ear what happen with TJ.

I have met the owner before and I am (100%) certain he would appreciate anyone who tells him what happened

and will have it sorted in no time.

He normally is on the property most of the the time. Maybe he took a well deserved break and as the saying goes......

When the cats away.............. the mice will play

I will be back in town March 5th and will advise him if I can remember.

February 5th, 2008, 16:56
But G****** still enjoys a fine reputation...and I will try it again when next in the area.
The old saying 'glutton for punishment' comes to mind. There are many fine cafes in S. Pattaya in which to eat breakfast without the need to patronize a place that is obviously not well run. 'Fine reputation' for what - abusing their prospective customers ?

This unfair on G******'s. I object to all this wanton mentioning of the restaurants name in question. A precedent has been set and we should stick by it, if nothing else to make Jinx's job easier.

TrongpaiExpat
February 5th, 2008, 19:12
I have on many occasions in Thailand seen signs that contradict any number of realities. I don't see the point of this post. It's it to warn others who might be awake and hungry at 9am or is it to get a little revenge on them for making you angry?

Those looking for consistency and order are in for a lot of disappointments living in Thailand. Go with the flow and keep a sense of humor and amusement.

A long time ago when ATM were new in Thailand a bank installed one with a big sign: "24 hour ATM, open at 1400 to 1700 hours"

This might help: www.bangkokbob.net/strange.htm (http://www.bangkokbob.net/strange.htm)