PDA

View Full Version : Pre decimal money

allieb
February 1st, 2008, 20:24
mind you in those days 2/6d went a long way.

Indeed I well remember a quite famous parl******arian who savored my favors and gave me an extra sixpence as a tip.

Oh my dear Lunch surely you mean half a crown wet a long way. Your trips to Pattaya have made you common. I am pleased to see that you at least said sixpence and not tanner.

thaiworthy-old
February 1st, 2008, 21:12
Reading Sawatdee has now become so much more cryptic for me with all these asterisks and now British monetary nomenclature. From an American's point of view, sixpence, crown and tanner have no meaning for me, and I am too lazy to look this up. What does 2/6d mean for us stupid Americans?

Cedric, I see you have been away for a awhile, but back in rare form as ever.

Marsilius
February 1st, 2008, 22:47
2/6d = in old pre-1970 non-decimalised money 2 shillings and 6 pence. Nowadays that equates to 12.5p.

That is just under 25 cents in colonists' money.

thaiworthy-old
February 1st, 2008, 23:05
it's been so long since I was called "working boy(s) whore(s) or prostitute(s( or money-boy(s).."

they really were the days and now my long term memory is coming back I can recall how often it happened !

mind you in those days 2/6d went a long way and I was more than happy to pleasure an elder gent for a small gratuity-indeed it was my wont to frequent the gentleman's swimming pool at Hampstead Heath and bat my eyelids at the odd stockbroker who had told his wife he was going for his daily constitutional at the heath.

Indeed I well remember a quite famous parl******arian who savored my favors and gave me an extra sixpence as a tip.
That episode stuck in my mind as he was rather jolly that evening in a late sitting and readily agreed to the passage of several important bills.

In my own small way-I like to feel that I was personally responsible for the governance of Great Britain and quite possibly changed the course of history.

God forbid-I never got scabies though !

Doris, you did that for 2-bits? (That's cryptic American monetary nomenclature for 25 cents, as Marcilius points out. Thank you Marcilius.) What do you charge these days? I fell in love with your old avatar of the guy with bad teeth. He was kinda cute. Is that really you? :love4:

Sen Yai
February 2nd, 2008, 01:29
Doris, you did that for 2-bits?

Is this confirmation of what we all suspected: Doris is a 2-bit w****? :cheers:

February 2nd, 2008, 02:58
From an American's point of view, sixpence, crown and tanner have no meaning for me, and I am too lazy to look this up.And what does the rest of the world care about nickels, dimes and quarters?