PDA

View Full Version : March 1st

January 31st, 2008, 21:37
Dear Guys,

The takeover is March 1st.

Mark will be back around February 13th. Deposits are paid and exchange of contracts has been done.

I am very busy at the minute organizing staff, lighting, sound and light people, Signage, and licensing matters.

I hope we do a good enough job of this to make it worthwhile and bring a bit of Y2K into Pattaya.

We will post full details via Graham, Wally on the forum via the Weekly report.

All of you who are in Pattaya will get a warm welcome.

Don't wish to change the thread Jinks, but I was with several Police over the last two evenings,

The Smoking ban WILL be vigorously enforced, they informed me.

We are going to do a nice terraced area with gardens for smokers, they will not allow smoking inside in any shape or form, they tell me, but this is ..............T.

jinks
January 31st, 2008, 22:54
We are going to do a nice terraced area with gardens for smokers

While still in the planning stage, I do not know the property ..... Maybe.....

A Smokers terrace with a nice BIG window looking onto the stage area,

curtains open for the show,

closed at other times ??????

catawampuscat
February 1st, 2008, 00:17
Perhaps kquill can advise if Guys is still open for business during February and if so if they still have their show..
Will the boys who are currently working there (assuming it is alive and well) continue working as go go boys when
the bar changes hands on or about March 1st.?

If someone has been to Guys recently or knows what is happening, a response would be welcome.
I think it is possible that Guys could lose February business based on assumptions that it is finished or that the go go boys
have moved on..

It is unfortunate that Guys did not do any public relations or let the punters know the score on this forum and/or
the other forums available..
As kquill mentioned, a notice on the Weekly Report would also suffice.. :cat:

February 1st, 2008, 08:37
Wishing you every success in the venture, good luck with everything.

February 1st, 2008, 13:38
Perhaps kquill can advise if Guys is still open for business during February and if so if they still have their show..
Will the boys who are currently working there (assuming it is alive and well) continue working as go go boys when
the bar changes hands on or about March 1st.?

If someone has been to Guys recently or knows what is happening, a response would be welcome.
I think it is possible that Guys could lose February business based on assumptions that it is finished or that the go go boys
have moved on..

It is unfortunate that Guys did not do any public relations or let the punters know the score on this forum and/or
the other forums available..
As kquill mentioned, a notice on the Weekly Report would also suffice.. :cat:

Dear Cat,

It is open for business, I hope a lot of the boys stay on changeover because not only are they good looking, they actually seem interested and dance as well.

Invites will be out shortly, but any person that I cannot catch up with will be as welcome as everyone else, so please nobody take offence if I don't hand out an invite personally.

Sincerely,

Kevin.

February 1st, 2008, 18:52
Thanks for keeping us up to date Kevin. I know it will be a success. Two questions:

How will the continuing operations of Guys effect the changes you plan?

Did you visit with the police lay out how they would enforce the no smoking ban? Fine customers or bar, both???

Thanks

February 2nd, 2008, 00:47
Thanks for keeping us up to date Kevin. I know it will be a success. Two questions:

How will the continuing operations of Guys effect the changes you plan?

Did you visit with the police lay out how they would enforce the no smoking ban? Fine customers or bar, both???

Thanks

Hi Pattayamale,

Steve has given me permission to get on with all changes I wish to make.

They will fine both bar owners and customers as far as I am told, for breaches of the no smoking law.

I have asked Tam's two brothers to come and help us to do a garden bar for smokers,[ They are both top of their field in landscape gardening, I hope it is acceptable for the smokers!]

I Will give them a full detailed plan of what we would like to do and see what is acceptable and trying to please the best that we can.

All the best,

Kevin.

thaiguest
February 2nd, 2008, 09:15
Khun Kevin's track record augurs well for this project and this project augurs well for gay thailand. In 5 years' time Boystown will be gone. The writing is already on the over-the-top pricelists on the wall. The geeks are nightly on patrol and the old birds will soon have to seek new roosting.
I have known, like you all, that this gentleman was about to re-inter the race. I was scared shitless that he would choose Sunnee. I love to see him drinking casually in the sunnee bars but i don't want to see him in business there.
He's now just far enough away to spawn a new boystown and leave sunnee, the rough cut diamond, safe for us and him to enjoy.

February 2nd, 2008, 10:37
Khun Kevin's track record augurs well for this project and this project augurs well for gay thailand. In 5 years' time Boystown will be gone. The writing is already on the over-the-top pricelists on the wall. The geeks are nightly on patrol and the old birds will soon have to seek new roosting.
I have known, like you all, that this gentleman was about to re-inter the race. I was scared shitless that he would choose Sunnee. I love to see him drinking casually in the sunnee bars but i don't want to see him in business there.
He's now just far enough away to spawn a new boystown and leave sunnee, the rough cut diamond, safe for us and him to enjoy.

I certainly agree with what you say about Kevin. But think it would be a shame to see the Boystown area close and do not believe it will. While I prefer having drinks in Sunee at the Come In Bar and Corner Bar, Boystown area is historic and has great gay hotels and bars. Many of the owners are top notch managers. What good would it do to see an area close?

I saw that Family Mart has taken over part of what use to be Thai Boys. Thai Boys many years ago was a fun venue but was not bring in many customers during the SARS scare when tourism dropped. I am not saying this was the reason for Thai boys closing. But even though change always happens....a Family Mart......

February 2nd, 2008, 20:27
Guys,

I think it is up to the venues to stay with the times.

The venue owners should not expect people to support them if they are not supplying the product that the customer requires.

Those that do will survive and thrive, those that don't, We know what will happen to them, you cannot live on past glories and reputations.[ nor can I ] If we get it right people will decide with bums on seats!

thaiguest
February 3rd, 2008, 07:19

I hardly agree with what you say about Kevin. But think it would be a shame to see the Boystown area close and do not believe it will. While I prefer having drinks in Sunee at the Come In Bar and Corner Bar, Boystown area is historic and has great gay hotels and bars. Many of the owners are top notch managers. What good would it do to see an area close?

I saw that Family Mart has taken over part of what use to be Thai Boys. Thai Boys many years ago was a fun venue but was not bring in many customers during the SARS scare when tourism dropped. I am not saying this was the reason for Thai boys closing. But even though change always happens....a Family Mart......

Of course it would be a shame to see boystown go but go it will, if it continues as it is. What justification, for example, has Panorama Bar to charge 40% more for a drink than a similar, regular bar, in Sunnee or elsewhere? The answer probably has to do with the long established trend among short-stay gays to fork out whatever is asked of them. But short stay clients may not remain gullible indefinately.
As Kquill suggests, past glories won't keep you in business forever. Boyztown will become the victim of its own success. The location is now very commercial, (a Family Mart already), the drink prices are too high, the geeks and the straights are as prolific as the gay people who built the place and if they move on other things will move in.
That's why I very glad to see this new venture (Bird Cage) in Day Nite. Its a compact neighbourhood, already has a gay flavour and is crying out for a new and exciting anchor venue. I think these Bird Cage boys can deliver.
The best of luck to them.
I'll be taking the odd trip from chaotic sunnee to sample the new and exotic wares.
I hope they listen to some of what TravellerJim says and purvey new and exotic wares.

February 3rd, 2008, 10:05
I will be a garden regular. cant wait to see the whole thing come together.

travelerjim
February 3rd, 2008, 10:13
Kevin & Mark/Marsha...

Best Wishes for spectacular success in the Birdcage!

Both bf & I will be pleased to return often to see the shows and the Birdcage too :-)

and...you know how to please the crowds ....Thank You!

but, in the process...please take good care of yourselves...

we love you both ..and greatly appreciate your efforts :-)

February 3rd, 2008, 13:25
Kevin & Mark/Marsha...

Best Wishes for spectacular success in the Birdcage!

Both bf & I will be pleased to return often to see the shows and the Birdcage too :-)

and...you know how to please the crowds ....Thank You!

but, in the process...please take good care of yourselves...

we love you both ..and greatly appreciate your efforts :-)

Thank you.

globalwanderer
February 4th, 2008, 17:51
Good luck guys, the dates in the diary

PinkSilom
February 5th, 2008, 01:38
'What justification, for example, has Panorama Bar to charge 40% more for a drink than a similar, regular bar, in Sunnee or elsewhere?'

The Birdcage haven't published their prices yet. Perhaps we will be able to sit on the their terrace and buy our Heineken for 60 or 70 baht, but we don't know that for a fact yet. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

thaiguest
February 5th, 2008, 07:23
'What justification, for example, has Panorama Bar to charge 40% more for a drink than a similar, regular bar, in Sunnee or elsewhere?'

The Birdcage haven't published their prices yet. Perhaps we will be able to sit on the their terrace and buy our Heineken for 60 or 70 baht, but we don't know that for a fact yet. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The bar in Boystown mentioned by me above is just a regular beer bar-no shows, no go-go.
Birdcage, from what I understand will be a show bar/ go-go/hopefully something more bar. I doubt if it can survive on the kind of prices you're hoping for. Maybe but i doubt it.

February 5th, 2008, 09:51
Guys,

Early ideas www.birdcagepattaya.com (http://www.birdcagepattaya.com)

travelerjim
February 5th, 2008, 10:14
Guys,

Early ideas www.birdcagepattaya.com (http://www.birdcagepattaya.com)

Great Website for the NEW Birdcage....Looks Fantastic!

But may I ask a question?

On the photo page...

http://www.birdcagepattaya.com/html/010302.htm

Am I correct in ASSUMING this is Kevin?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/Birdcage1.jpg

and this is Mark/Marsha?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/Birdcage2.jpg

If so, the NEW Birdcage will be more like a ZOO!

with COYOTE Dancers and ALL :-)

"DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS" signs need to be posted!

Take good care Kevin & Mark...
Looks great...and a definite sign of a NEW thriving business ...
to come to Pattaya and the Day-Night area!

February 5th, 2008, 10:58
Comming from a family of smokers I have seen what smoking can do to one. Luckily I have never smoked but have had to suffer thru losing my dad at much to young an age for him. My brother also recently passed at a young age do to lung cancer that had already spread to his brain and other vitals before we found out he had a problem. My mother (now 84) tho never a smoker has badly scarred lungs and breathing problems from second hand smoke being as my dad was a two pack a day smoker. While I know smoking is a choice I just wish others would understand what affect it has on others.

February 5th, 2008, 13:05
The website looks great. And the listed prices are even more fabulous. A beer is only 00,000 baht. A bottle of whiskey is also 00,000. Can't beat those prices anywhere in the world :drunken:

Are there tickets available to the Red Carpet affair?

What is the VIP area?
Do you need a membership to the VIP area or is my EVA gold card sufficient?

Today when I ate breakfast (12:30 pm) at Googies, I parked in front of Guys (Birdcage). People were actually camped out waiting for the opening!! My Thai friend said that actually that was the cleaning crew taking a lunch nap. Oh....

I really am looking forward to the opening. It seems it has been awhile since a new bar has caused as much anticipation of great success.

PinkSilom
February 5th, 2008, 15:54
'The bar in Boyzstown mentioned by me above is just a regular beer bar-no shows, no go-go. Birdcage, from what I understand will be a show bar/ go-go/hopefully something more bar.'

Apologies, Thaiguest, you are better informed than I. I was not aware that you could watch the show and the go-go boys perform from the terrace of the Birdcage. I thought your point was that there was no difference between the terrace at Panorama and the terrace at the Birdcage, and you were irritated that Panorama was charging 40% more for a drink than Kevin, who will match the Sunee Plaza prices on his terrace.

February 6th, 2008, 08:31
The website looks great. And the listed prices are even more fabulous. A beer is only 00,000 baht. A bottle of whiskey is also 00,000. Can't beat those prices anywhere in the world :drunken:

Are there tickets available to the Red Carpet affair?

What is the VIP area?
Do you need a membership to the VIP area or is my EVA gold card sufficient?

Today when I ate breakfast (12:30 pm) at Googies, I parked in front of Guys (Birdcage). People were actually camped out waiting for the opening!! My Thai friend said that actually that was the cleaning crew taking a lunch nap. Oh....

I really am looking forward to the opening. It seems it has been awhile since a new bar has caused as much anticipation of great success.

Pattayamale,

The VIP areas are lounge type areas within the bar. I want to, hopefully, give people chance to be able to be part of it but to sit and be able to have a conversation.

The VIP for want of a better word Will be open to all and we want to be able to either pre book for groups of people.

It is a free of charge facility.

I know it is tongue in cheek regard prices as we are still awaiting the return of a few people who are to help me.

We still have a long way to get it how we want but doing my best at the minute.

Some of the comments about shows have been inwardly digested BUT some of the numbers are extremely popular with customers from the old show especially the fun ones.

Also, Mark is buying new stuff whilst in the UK.The delay will be even better to get the place ready AND give the show boys a chance to rehearse new stuff!

We are talking at the moment of a cocktail expert who is American Thai with a view to hm helping for a while to train the staff.

ALL drinks will be brand names and no cheap substitutes.

As I said on prices it will certainly be competitive on pricing but t will be impossible to achieve some of the prices expected or hoped for when you have the show salaries and Coyote dancing to pay on top of normal salaries.

I am currently trying to make an area comfortable for smokers and still make them feel part of the club whilst trying to please both smokers and non smokers which is giving me a headache at the moment.

Invitations will be out around the 25Th February for the Red Carpet affair.

Terrace pricing, I am still awaiting the contractors to decide whether or not to place a separate bar on the terrace for smokers and people who wish to watch the world go by.

. If people have access to inside the bar from the terrace it would be impossible to dual price, as they would purchase outside and take them in! [ human nature]

Please let me check this out an come back on this as I am a little overwhelmed with getting the place ready and fitting with the current owners opening and closing and getting our people in to do the works,although Steve is being very good to our staff.

February 6th, 2008, 12:13
I am currently trying to make an area comfortable for smokers and still make them feel part of the club whilst trying to please both smokers and non smokers which is giving me a headache at the moment.

Kev, maybe this decoration will satisfy both parties?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/coatimundi_2008/ceiling.jpg

Good luck mate. :thumbleft:

February 6th, 2008, 14:24
have your doorman not allow drinks to be taken outside or inside the club. In otherwords, those that sit on the terrace must consume the drink only on the terrace. Those that buy a drink in the club must consume the drink in the club. Usually it would be smokers that would leave the club to go outside to smoke. If there was no terrace wouldn't they leave their drink inside, go out to smoke and then return anyway?

I could view this similar to Oscar's beside Throb. No one would consider taking their drink from Oscar's into Throb. Same as in many big hotels. Most would not think of taking the drink from the lobby bar into a hotel club...(would they???).

Maybe you need to decide if you want two separate bars.

I enjoy sittiing at a beer bar and paying less to talk with other friends that sit there. I sit and drink with different groups of friends at Come In or Corner Bar in Sunee and see a group of farangs leave their drinks at corner bar while they go into Villa Rouge (Kaos)....I have been told this is their routine every night.

Dual pricing maybe a good business decision if you have 2 separate bars.

PinkSilom
February 6th, 2008, 15:54
Your post seems altogether sensible to me Pattaya Male. Purchasing drinks on the terrace and taking them inside is no more 'human nature' than lighting up a cigarette inside. If customers know they cannot, they won't. I can't see many people sitting on a terrace in Sunee Plaza and paying go-go bar prices for the privilege.

February 7th, 2008, 00:49
I can't see many people sitting on a terrace in Sunee Plaza and paying go-go bar prices for the privilege.

There are others like me I hope PinkSilom, that wouldn't sit in some bars; if the drinks were given away free. The decor of a bar, along with its comfort and the type of people that patronise it, are far more important in my opinion, than the fact it may be more expensive than others.

At the end of the day, if prices are the only thing that matters, we can sit outside of a laundry and drink, as some people actually do. Whilst I am aware that there are people who consider the price as the number one priority in deciding where they will drink, unless they exist on a pittance, I have never understood why.

The owner of a bar and how well he plays mine host, is also important to me and why I choose to drink in some. Some of these establishments have much higher overheads than some, a fact which I appreciate and the reason I have never objected to paying more for what is I believe at the end of the day, my benefit.

I believe that whatever Kevin's prices end up being, they will be something he has given a lot of thought to and will I am sure, be fair. Those that don't believe they are, should stay away, although this type rarely do, choosing instead to go there and whine about it afterwards on forums such as this one. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

I am enthusiastic about what will be on offer at the Birdcage and if it turns out being only half as good as I expect it to, I will be happy to pay whatever the respective price will be for my choice of tipple. Even without any show or go go boys, I personally wouldn't mind paying extra for my drink, just for the pleasure of being able to have a chat with Kevin, along with being able to have the pleasure of his company. Not a lot extra mind you, but maybe a little. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

By the way PinkSilom, whilst I have used your quote above to express how I feel about this subject, I assure you that none of what I have said, is personally aimed by me in your direction. As you are someone I do not know, that would not be possible.

So with that said, although you may well be one of those Cheap Charlie's that we all know exist, I am making no accusations here that you are. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/tongue.gif

Choc Dee PS,

George. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Peace.gif

PinkSilom
February 7th, 2008, 01:57
George, I do not think your personal views are really very different from mine. In my very short time posting on this forum, I have made it quite clear that my preferred area is Soi 3. So, the price of a drink is certainly not the number one priority for me.

However, a quick tour of Sunee Plaza would demonstrate that we are in the minority George. Clearly, hundreds of gay Westerners would sit in a rat infested toilet that reeked of vomit, if they could save thirty baht on their drink.

February 7th, 2008, 02:16
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/travelerjim/Birdcage1.jpgWhere did you find my pic? I'd always though posting actual pics of Forum members without their permission was against Forum rules?

February 7th, 2008, 07:44
have your doorman not allow drinks to be taken outside or inside the club. In otherwords, those that sit on the terrace must consume the drink only on the terrace. Those that buy a drink in the club must consume the drink in the club. Usually it would be smokers that would leave the club to go outside to smoke. If there was no terrace wouldn't they leave their drink inside, go out to smoke and then return anyway?

I could view this similar to Oscar's beside Throb. No one would consider taking their drink from Oscar's into Throb. Same as in many big hotels. Most would not think of taking the drink from the lobby bar into a hotel club...(would they???).

Maybe you need to decide if you want two separate bars.

I enjoy sittiing at a beer bar and paying less to talk with other friends that sit there. I sit and drink with different groups of friends at Come In or Corner Bar in Sunee and see a group of farangs leave their drinks at corner bar while they go into Villa Rouge (Kaos)....I have been told this is their routine every night.

Dual pricing maybe a good business decision if you have 2 separate bars.

Pattayamale,

I'll give it thought. However Oscars customers could not do what is mentioned as the two bars have totally different owners. I foresee a problem if you do not allow people who smoke, not to allow them to take their drinks with them outside. We will look at it.

The other point is there is a lot of passing things to look at in Boyztown and Sunnee Plaza and a lot going on.

In Soi Day Night 1, at the moment there isn't unless you like looking at Chinese tour groups entering the Hotel, or you are an avid Coach Spotter!

However, what is normal and usual, is a lot of potential bar owners "sit on the fence" and wait to see if a venue takes off and then wish to purchase in the vicinity. Human nature, or shrewd business, I suppose.

You will find if this venue succeeds, a lot will be buying into the Soi.

The No Smoking rules will definitely be enforced inside the bar We have no choice in this area and cannot debate it as it is 2,000 baht for the customer and 20,000 baht for the bar in fines, if caught.

If we are going to do as you suggest, We will have to create an outside bar as well.

February 13th, 2008, 05:16
Hi,

Understand from tonight, a number of Sunnee owners are wanting to relocate to Day Night as they are fed up with massive Police raids like this evening even though they say they are operating as cleanly as they can [ they say] without underage or drugs.

They say they are still targeted because of location, and when this occurs, it drains all customers from Sunnee.

It does appear, however, some go go bars don't learn and are prepared to pay the obscene fines to the Police for their obscene shows.

Takes all sorts, up to them, if they wish to be unpaid collectors for the Boys in Brown.

Mark should be back today and let's see if we can get on with Day Night, not long left till March 1st.

February 14th, 2008, 16:44
March 1st is looking dodgy as we have senate elections.

\

Looking like ,March 2nd, still talking with Police.

February 16th, 2008, 12:27
Looks like the changes have started . . .

Friday 15th Feb and the "first sign" is erected in Soi Day Night 1