PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes boys get sick--are trustees available

lonelywombat
January 31st, 2008, 17:26
A friend of mine asked the other day if there was some reputable gay trustee group in Pattaya
he could leave his money to, for the benefit of thai boys in need, medical or otherwise

I know of Thais 4 Life and have heard of several other groups, but do not know them well.

But having found out the local branch of an international charity for asian [orphans] takes the first 14 months
for commissions, I am not sure what to say, or recommend.

There are a lot of cheap charlies who put shit on any attempt to raise money for gay charities in Pattaya.
There are also some very dedicated and tireless workers for gay Thai charities amongst gay expats.

We have discussed leaving the income only in case of misuse.
My experience that future income compared to current cash is not interesting in 100% of charities.

My knowledge of Thais 4 life is they are all honorable men. But time catches up to all of us.

I am making no allegations against people I admire for what they do.
I have discussed with the proposed executor of my estate and my friend's on how things can be achieved

I am reluctant to contribute to charities who have an obligation to remit a percentage to higher formations

Pattaya gay boys have been good to me and like my friend I would like to find an avenue to contribute.

Hopefully this will not get sidelined, but is there an expat group of volunteers to act as trustees????

maybe others can put this better. I at least hope this will open the subject for discussion.

allieb
January 31st, 2008, 19:41
You must be joking. A group of expats to trust money to in Pattaya!!!!!! They would probably open a bar with it and say that its helping the boys.

Tell your friend to leave his money to his Thai boyfriend. If he hasn't got one then come and get one with a large family (that won't be difficult)

How much money are we talking about anyway.

January 31st, 2008, 20:26
I agree that there are some charities that are good like Thais4life and have never thought about how those would continue if the main organizers no longer participate for whatever reason. I don't even know if their structures permit them to really continue.

I think there might be several religious charities that are ongoing but they to my knowledge don't support just Thai boys.

January 31st, 2008, 21:28
Hi,

Would you like me to e mail my bank details, trust me, I used to be a Doctor!

catawampuscat
January 31st, 2008, 23:59
We choose our friends and since many of us do not have children/wives, I think the best thing to do with one's estate is to leave it
to ones friends with intructions and requests..

I have no reason to doubt the sincerity and honesty of the lonelywombat and think the best thing his friend could do, would be to leave
him the money/estate with instructions to use it to help out the boys he cared about and do good deeds like bringing the boys to the
dentist or doctors.

So many of the boys have teeth in dire need of dental work (sort of like the Brits) and even if one paid for each boy to get a thorough
checkup and cleaning/scaling, it would help. So many have missing teeth already in their early years, and they are destined to have
many missing teeth and dental and gum problems which could be fixed and taken care of.
The trustee would need to go with the boy and not just give him the money to go to the doctor/dentist but make sure the work is done.

Just one idea, but the important piece is finding the right person to trust to spend the money for the purpose intended.
If one didn't want the responsibility, a group like Thais 4 Life would be a good alternative althou my trust is based on the men I know
who run it and it would be a leap of faith but one to consider.. :cat:

TrongpaiExpat
February 1st, 2008, 00:19
Very few of these boys have any money management skills. I have seen some boys inherit huge amounts that quickly disappear with little to show for it. In Issan the women manage the money and keep it away from the men.

The best way to endow a Thai Boyfriend is to set up a trust fund through a Thai lawyer with monthly payments.

February 1st, 2008, 01:09
If he genuinely wants to "benefit" others, he could do far worse than giving a bequest to organisations whose aims he supports, whose accounts are totally verifiable and which are not likely to die when their current trustees do. There are very few which meet all these criteria in Pattaya; the Camillian Centre in Rayong would be my first choice.

Thais4Life is the only specifically "gay" charity whose motivation and accounting I have no misgivings about, which has totally transparent accounts and no "personal expenses" hidden in its running costs; only its trustees/sponsors/supporters are predominantly gay, however, not its beneficiaries (which may not be in accordance with LW's friend's aims); it also often appears to be a charity looking for a cause to support, and the number of its trustees has declined significantly since it started, for a number of reasons, with none of those remaining being exactly in their prime.

"The best way ... is to set up a trust fund through a Thai lawyer" Best for who - the Thai lawyer?? I can only presume you were joking.

lonelywombat
February 1st, 2008, 05:38
If he genuinely wants to "benefit" others, he could do far worse than giving a bequest to organisations whose aims he supports, whose accounts are totally verifiable and which are not likely to die when their current trustees do. There are very few which meet all these criteria in Pattaya; the Camillian Centre in Rayong would be my first choice.

Thais4Life is the only specifically "gay" charity whose motivation and accounting I have no misgivings about, which has totally transparent accounts and no "personal expenses" hidden in its running costs; only its trustees/sponsors/supporters are predominantly gay, however, not its beneficiaries (which may not be in accordance with LW's friend's aims); it also often appears to be a charity looking for a cause to support, and the number of its trustees has declined significantly since it started, for a number of reasons, with none of those remaining being exactly in their prime.

"The best way ... is to set up a trust fund through a Thai lawyer" Best for who - the Thai lawyer?? I can only presume you were joking.

We have both visited the Camillian Hospice as it was then, for those in terminal stages of AIDS. He does not want to contribute to religious charities as he objects to supporting "fat cat priests and bishops" [his words]

There was a post before Xmas of a group that purchases goods.clothing and food rather than giving over cash. That is more what he has in mind.

That is in addition to Thais 4 life. We have both met Wally and others, they remain high on our list of course.

February 1st, 2008, 05:44
He must make a Will in Thailand specifically for his Thai assets otherwise it may not have any validity

travelerjim
February 1st, 2008, 09:10
Is there a tax on donations to Thailand registered charity?

Gone Fishing...and others who may know the answer....

It has been a few years since those of us who organized and were originally on the Thais4Life Committee....
researched the registration of a charity in Thailand...and at that time....

We were advised by a distinguished and experienced Thai Attorney in North Pattaya
that there indeed ...was a tax placed on all donations "received" by a charityregistered / organized in Thailand.

I believe he said 10% tax...or possibly it was the VAT of 7%...
but I think it was 10% tax on donations "received" by the registered Thai charity.

At the time we felt the tax unfair and did not incorporate the Thais4Life in Thailand.

Has this so called "tax" on donations "received" changed?

I would welcome the good news if it has been and there is NO tax on donations "received" by charity...
that is different than a taxpayer being able to "deduct" contributions they made to a charity in Thailand
on their Thailand Tax return.

Thanks for the any current information you might have regarding
the taxation of donations received by a Thai registered charity.

TravelerJim

lonelywombat
February 1st, 2008, 10:46
He must make a Will in Thailand specifically for his Thai assets otherwise it may not have any validity

He has no assets in LOS but I do . I have made provision for mine

February 1st, 2008, 10:48
He has no assets in LOS but I do . I have made provision for mineI am leaving my overdraft to Aunty

February 1st, 2008, 14:00
He has no assets in LOS but I do . I have made provision for mineI am leaving my overdraft to Aunty

Good,

Because Aunty is leaving hers to you!