PDA

View Full Version : Phuket Hotel

thrillbill
January 27th, 2008, 21:33
Plan to go to Phuket in a couple weeks for a few days. It has been 3 years since I've been there and I was wondering what the reader's of this forum favorite place is? I am not expecting a 5 star stay but I just don't want to check into a place that is falling apart which happens frequently with some of these privately owned "boutique" hotels. What about Aquarius or Blue Dolphin? They have small pools and saunas, I think.

Nathan B
January 27th, 2008, 23:36
Last time I looked in Blue Dolphin, maybe about 4 months ago, the small indoor pool was being refurbished and was full of rubble. I would check with them before you book. They do have cute massage staff, and it is professionally run.

My preferred hotel is the Holiday Inn, it has a great location and facilities (especially the Busakorn Wing), though if you plan on taking guys back to your room I would stay elsewhere (they discourage joiners).

jinks
January 28th, 2008, 00:29
Try Club One Seven....

www.cluboneseven.net/ (http://www.cluboneseven.net/)

I stop there, nothing special, breakfast included, small garden and pool.

Joiners fee if you want more than 1 guest overnight - this pays for the extra breakfast :)))

WiFi on all floors (when it works)

No lift !

The BEST family atmosphere I have encountered.

Beachlover
January 28th, 2008, 06:31
Aquarius is ok.... very gay place and you won't pay any extra for guests. Also has free wireless.

Depends on what you're after... standards-wise.

I find most of the big chains are too far away from everything and exceedingly expensive, except for a couple of them.

Try Poppa Palace... it's a reasonably priced, but also fairly luxurious guesthouse/hotel right in the middle of everything. It's 1 minute walk to Paradise Complex, 3mins walk to the beach and 3-4 minutes walk to Bangla Rd, the main strip, and the big shopping centre, Jungcelon.

Next to the Poppa Palace is the Birdcage guesthouse.... which is fairly cheap, and looks decent in the photos.... but I don't know if it's any good.

Easy to Google these places.

January 28th, 2008, 11:00
Try Rendezvous in Paradise Complex. We stayed there last year and found it very good value, clean and comfortable.

thrillbill
January 28th, 2008, 16:54
So has anyone been to the Blue Dolphin since it has been remodeled? Also, I read about the scam of taking a van from the airport to the city. So what is the best way to get to town late at night from the airport. Thanks for the info.

January 28th, 2008, 17:16
If you like luxury and can afford it check out http://www.manathai.com/rooms.htm

Beachlover
January 28th, 2008, 19:52
So has anyone been to the Blue Dolphin since it has been remodeled? Also, I read about the scam of taking a van from the airport to the city. So what is the best way to get to town late at night from the airport. Thanks for the info.

I think the best way to get anywhere from the airport is via meter taxi service:

- Limo taxis are more expensive than necessary

- Tuk tuks cost more than meter taxis, are slower and less comfortable

- Minibus... never tried it, but I don't think it's that much cheaper, and you have to wait for them to drop everyone else off... probably not worth the extra time... esp when you want to settle in.

So best thing to do is avoid all the tuk tuk touts (they are the only ones who've paid enough to be close to the entrance).

When you walk out the airport exit, turn right and keep walking (20 metres) till you see the "meter taxi service" counter. They'll order a taxi for you.... fast, comfortable, safe* and the best value (cheaper than tuk tuk by 100-200b)

To Patong Beach it's around 450baht total.... to Phuket Town, I think it's probably cheaper but not sure.

*ps. you'll notice the speedometre in the taxi doesn't work. Don't be alarmed now, they disable the speedometres in all the taxis (not just yours), so us passengers can sit back in blissful ignorence of the suicidal speeds they drive at!

TrongpaiExpat
January 28th, 2008, 20:44
You also can just rent a car, I have used Nine Car Rent (http://phuketdir.com/ninecarrent/index.htm) several times.

I usually stay at Siam Palm (http://www.siam-palm.com/index2.html). There was some near by construction about 6 months ago, that should be done now.

Brad the Impala
January 29th, 2008, 00:04
I can second the recommendation for Nine Car Rent

January 29th, 2008, 02:43
Hello TrongpaiExpat,

Would you tell me more about Siam Palm? I am booked to stay there in Feb/March.

Cheers!

lonelywombat
January 29th, 2008, 05:03
Hello TrongpaiExpat,

Cheers!

I stayed in the wet season 2 years ago and had mixed feelings. The website does not reflect my memories but the location is the same . The narrow staircase was steep with tight corners. I was far from impressed. In fairness their staff did not hesitate to grab my bags and carry them upstairs for me. I tended to plan my trips downstairs to minimize the difficult[for me] climb back. If you have problems with stairs, make sure you do not get the top floor

There was a power failure due to the heavy rain, which made the stairs by candlelight even more difficult.

Location is closer to Paradise than Club1-7 where I have also stayed. An easy walk back from Paradise with a friend.Tuk tuks are very expensive compared to Pattaya.The beach is very handy and I used to wander across from SP to the foyer of the Andaman to read the papers or have a coffee. In the same soi was a very pleasant cake and coffee shop that served a moderate latte.

The things I liked when it was not raining,was the variety of restaurants and shops within a few hundred meters of SP

The shops, restaurants and bars in the rebuilt beach road areas are well worth seeing and in walking distance.They seemed pricey by LOS standards. Lots of seafood. Nice contrast to My Way and Tangmo, if you have a friend the live band bars are great.

From a gay point of view, there was a bar next door I thought called Jungle Boys, it was low season and I never saw anyone inside. You can forget Superboy which is dreadful, and you walk pass Sphinx on your way to Paradise

January 29th, 2008, 10:49
Well that's good timing. :cheers:
To add to Wombat's comments here's my review....

Siam Palm is a small gay owned/gay friendly hotel with 16 rooms. It is not exclusively gay and has other straight tourists staying there but I had no discomfort being there with my boyfriend. There is no joinerтАЩs fee but they will hold a visitors ID card at the desk. There is an attached restaurant that serves western and Thai food. Not great, just typical hotel food. Breakfast is free but only served until 12 pm. NOTE:! There WAS an adjoining bar тАУJungle Boys тАУ but that is now CLOSED. I asked the Thai manager what was going to happen to the space and he said maybe they were going to expand the restaurant into the area in another 2 months. There is a very small garden area in the back of the restaurant with a few tables, but only the staff seemed to use it. As TrongpiExpat mentioned there is some construction across the street but it is now mostly finished and there was no bothersome noise. I was a bit disappointed that this construction destroyed the open park area pictured on the website homepage which has now been developed with a series of 4-5 storey apartment blocks.
The rooms are on the 3 floors above the lobby/bar/restaurant. There is no elevator so one has to hike up a pretty steep staircase. (yup, Wombat's description is right) We were on the 3rd floor and even my boyfriend was huffing and puffing a bit by the end of the climb. The rooms have an electronic safe and lots of closet and dresser room for clothes. There is the typical instant coffee/tea stuff but the water heater is not the the usual "water boiler" you find. ItтАЩs a drip coffee maker. I suppose thatтАЩs great if youтАЩre bringing your own ground coffee but the gurgling noise irritated my late-sleeping boyfriend. There is free wireless internet in the rooms but there is no other internet facility in the hotel, so unless you bring your laptop youтАЩre SOL.
About the rooms тАУ from the way the building is configured the rooms get larger the higher you go. The 1st floor rooms (2nd storey) are the smallest and have only a high half size window. There is not much to look at outside except buildings so this doesnтАЩt really matter. These rooms are the cheapest and have no DVD player or coffee/tea and gurgling coffee pot. The 2nd floor (3rd storey) rooms are a bit larger and have room for a small table and 2 chairs тАУ but just barely. Boyfriend and I were in one of these rooms and did not feel uncomfortable. The top floor rooms are the most expensive and from the website look to be quite roomy. The website has pics of the rooms. The bathroom was not huge but adequate. There was enough counterspace for toiletries for two (and one of the two is a Ladyboy). There was a problem with the water. First, we could never get better than lukewarm water for showering. Second, the water had a brown tinge to it. According to the room literature it is due to the hotel using well water. I donтАЩt know where the тАЬwellтАЭ is but one night we did see a big tanker truck pumping water thru a big hose to somewhere in the back of the restaurant. I didnтАЩt really have an issue with the brownish water since I always get lots of bottled water from the nearest Family Mart for drinking, but I suppose some might be squeamish.
The hotel is located in a quiet soi off one of the main roads. Its about 5 min walk to the beach - but about 15 min to the тАЬgay beachтАЭ area. It is 10 min from Paradise Complex and the bars and about 20 min walk to Jungceylon shopping center.

Uncle KennyтАЩs verdict: Not great but comfortable. OK value for the money. I would stay there again.

If youтАЩre looking for a quiet, gay friendly place thatтАЩs a bit more upscale than a guesthouse this would be a good choice.

If youтАЩre looking for an exciting gay place in the middle of the action and expect to take a boy or 2 off every night this might not be the best choice.

January 29th, 2008, 10:54
I stayed at Connect a few years ago, seduced by offers of satellite television and free Internet connections in every room. The satellite television was all pulled, free, off some bloody Indian satellite which was of no interest to me, there were mice in my bathroom and, worst of all, after four years (or is it five) I still can't get off their damn e-mail mailing list

lonelywombat
January 29th, 2008, 11:07
[quote/kenc]There is free wireless internet in the rooms but there is no other internet facility in the hotel,
so unless you bring your laptop youтАЩre SOL.[quote/]

The little coffee shop I mentioned was my only access to internet,so if that was busy i went to use one
of the 4 in the foyer of Connect, early evening.

I booked a cab through the hotel and it was waiting for me on arrival, delivered me to the door. 500 baht

To be fair about the stairs, the manager insisted that part of the service was to collect your bags
and carry them downstairs. This was the morning of my departure some hours before my cab was due

Maybe after the first climb I looked like a heart attack about to happen, but it was appreciated.

TrongpaiExpat
January 29th, 2008, 11:24
Hello TrongpaiExpat,

Cheers!

I agree with both lonelywombat and kenc, both objective and fair reviews. There's nothing I can add other then it's an easy walk on level ground with sidewalks to the beach and Paradise complex, no hills.

February 2nd, 2008, 15:25
Is there a specific gay area on the beach, as in Pattaya?

How do I find it walking from Siam Palm Hotel?

Cheers!

Sen Yai
February 2nd, 2008, 15:55
TrickyRich, yes you can not miss the 'Gay Beach' - it's right in the middle of Patong Beach, next to the coast guard's look-out tower, with the tsunami warning beacon on top.

This photo is taken from the south - you can see the white tower against the trees, in the centre. From Siam Palm, you will approach from the north and walk along the beach for about 100 metres to reach it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/patong010108.jpg

This is the 'Gay area' - note the rainbow flag flying! This photo was taken on 2nd January 08, quite early in the morning (about 11:00am) before most the fruits were out of bed!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/PBB.jpg

For those who know it, the building behind with the green glass is the new structure on the site of the old Patong Beach Bungalows. All that glass, right on the sea front - an opportunity there for a full-time window cleaner!

lonelywombat
February 2nd, 2008, 16:24
For those who know it, the building behind with the green glass is the new structure on the site of the old Patong Beach Bungalows. All that glass, right on the sea front - an opportunity there for a full-time window cleaner!

Thank you for the update I have been trying to find out what happened to PBB

Could not find an active website

Can you assist.

I have stayed a number of times there but found it was now getting more straight and more expensive

Please give a full update of your stay

It cannot be in a more perfect position, great for off season.

Sen Yai
February 2nd, 2008, 16:51
Hi Wombat. The new building is still under construction and whilst I'm not sure that it will be a hotel, it probably will. There is definitely a movement towards modern 21st century styles in architecture and interior design in Patong now, so it won't be anything like the old PBB.

The main structure in the centre looks like it will include some retail units (especially from the road side) but there will be great views of the beach from the first floor (a restaurant?) and it looks like there will be a large roof terrace.

There are two smaller 2-story wings on each side of the main building in the centre of the plot, that look like they could contain hotel rooms....

I hope to be back in Phuket in May, so it might be finished then. Maybe someone else will give a further up-date.

Nathan B
February 3rd, 2008, 05:54
I think the best way to get anywhere from the airport is via meter taxi service:
To Patong Beach it's around 450baht total....
A limo to Patong is a fixed 550 Baht, which I think is a great price if a metered taxi is about 450 Baht. I would much rather know exactly how much I'm going to pay before the journey starts. You book at a desk in the arrivals area immediately after leaving customs. A porter will carry your bags to the kerbside limo. There's no need to carry your bags all the way outside the airport to book a taxi.

lonelywombat
February 3rd, 2008, 09:06
Is there a specific gay area on the beach, as in Pattaya?

How do I find it walking from Siam Palm Hotel?

Cheers!

This is not a gay map but it shows you where Patong Beach Bungalows WAS

Next door is a police station that gives you access from the Beach Road to just near the gay section

http://www.thailanddelight.com/images/m ... patong.png (http://www.thailanddelight.com/images/map/phuket_patong.png)

here is the location map for Siam Palm

http://www.siam-palm.com/pages/location.html

I would recommend first time you come in from the beach road.

You will usually find the gay area because the hunks playing volley ball late afternoon

Sen Yai first pic is looking along the beach in the direction you would approach from Siam Palm

February 5th, 2008, 08:03

Yep ! I just back from Phuket and stay 1 month in Blue Dolphin. Most costumers where from Swiss and France and it was like one fam. Many BBQ outside and a lot off fun. Full report i make later.

Phuket gay soi was like low season the bars empty except Boat bar go was full every night !

Phuket is to expensive and the boy's are so ugly. My Way not have half the boy's like 4 years ago, Tangmo in dec. 80 boy's in jan. not even 40 they go home because not have costumer , hmmmmmmmm, 300 take off 150 one drink ? Tuk tuk to Safarie 400 bath and come back 500 bath. Phuket ? Let steel your money if you like ! :clown:

Brad the Impala
February 5th, 2008, 09:12
Try James Dean and Friends if in Patong. Managed by Jaoh, ex captain of My Way, good selection of friendly guys. 1,000 gets you a bottle of Sangsom and mixers. Good music at reasonable levels and pool table. It is next to Spartacus.

James Dean, original bar, is now under new ownership having been sold for approximately 20 Million Baht, and is now declining in the hands of it's inexperienced new owners.

Paid 200 baht to Safari, and 200 back. Safari is owned by Khun Chairat, deputy Mayor of Patong, and previously owner of the gay Black and White bar in Paradise. This allows Safari to stay open later than the rest, although most bars are open until 0230 anyway.

Blue Dolphin is now up for sale at 26 million baht. At that price it could only be a rich man's expensive hobby!

February 5th, 2008, 21:23
Blue Dolphin is now up for sale at 26 million baht. At that price it could only be a rich man's expensive hobby!

Tip me 13 million bath and i promise it is yours ! :flower:

Now it is a rich man's hobby, the owner from Swiss like to buy a house in Phuket . I just met him and he real not want 26 million ! What profit can you make whit only 9 rooms ? Full in high season only 4 month ! :bigsmurf:

Brad the Impala
February 6th, 2008, 11:31

Tip me 13 million bath and i promise it is yours ! :flower:

Now it is a rich man's hobby, the owner from Swiss like to buy a house in Phuket . I just met him and he real not want 26 million ! What profit can you make whit only 9 rooms ? Full in high season only 4 month ! :bigsmurf:

As I said, it is for sale at 26 million, and advertised as such.

A relatively new venue, in Paradise is BB Boys, opened by Khun Bon, who seems to own half the main drag. It has much butcher guys in black and leather outfits dancing in a bar styled as an S & M club, with interesting lighting effects. It is quite dark, which may suit the atmosphere and the gropers, but makes distinguishing between guys a little harder.

February 7th, 2008, 05:37
A relatively new venue, in Paradise is BB Boys, opened by Khun Bon, who seems to own half the main drag. It has much butcher guys in black and leather outfits dancing in a bar styled as an S & M club, with interesting lighting effects. It is quite dark, which may suit the atmosphere and the gropers, but makes distinguishing between guys a little harder.

Opened by khun Beer ! But the money comes from khun Bon . :clown:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblogs/upload/44/122359571647aa4340c9eed.jpg