View Full Version : Why no ID? and did security guard ask for a bribe?

Beachlover
January 27th, 2008, 19:08
Ok... I offed a boy a while ago and when taking him back to my hotel something strange happened.

My hotel has different buildings. With my building you can sort of walk around and get to your room without passing reception..but you pass a security guard at the entrance to the building. Normally after midnight there's no security guard there, but on this particular night, there was.

Damn, I didn't want to pay the "extra bed" fee. But when the guard saw I was with someone he asked me for my room number and keycard... I assume it was so he could charge the "extra bed fee" to my room.

Then he asked my boy for his ID... I've heard this is standard practice (but have never seen it done before). The boy suddenly look worried and said something to the guard in Thai. Then he translated to me that he'd left his ID back at the bar. I thought he would probably have to walk back to the bar to get the ID, seeing as it was required. No big deal... the bar was only 5 minutes walk away.

But then the boy and the guard had a short exhange of words.

The boy turned to me and.. in broken English said that I should give some money to the guard. He was very apologetic.

I asked him how much I should give the guard and, looking worried, he mumbled something along the lines of ... "I don't know... one time I left ID card at bar so customer give them money so is ok..... so sorry"....

I wasn't sure, but I thought I should save the boy having to walk back to the bar, so I pulled out my wallet and gave the guard 200baht. He accepted and nodded us past. The boy apologised again.

So can anyone tell me what that was about???

I really don't know if something dodgy was going on here... but here are some other factors to take into account:

- When I checked out of the hotel, I wasn't charged for the "extra bed"... even though when I checked in they clearly told me that they charge for having an extra person in the room... so does this mean the bribe was for the guard not to tell the hotel manager about the "extra bed charge" to my room?...

- The next morning, when I remembered this incident, I thought it might be that the boy was underage, and didn't want to show his ID card. Otherwise why would he not have his ID card with him? Isn't that something you must always carry around? Like a drivers license? And wouldn't he expect hotel staff to normally ask for it?

Having thought that, I don't think he's underage. He's young, but he doesn't look under 18 (when I asked him, he told me he's 19)... also he works at My Way (Phuket) which is meant to be a reputable establishment (whatever that means)... the man who owns My Way owns 5 or 6 other places in Phuket... surely he wouldn't employ underaged boys?

Only one other thing makes me suspicious.... the 1st time I offed him he said he was 19. The 2nd time I offed him, was when I returned to Thailand, over a year later (this is when this incident happened). I asked him how old he was, and he again said he was 19! Surely he must've turned 20 within a year of being 19 !!??

I asked him about this, and he looked confused... When I asked him when his birthday was, he smiled and looked confused.

Anyway... he's almost the only boy I've ever offed... so does anyone know what might be the story behind all this?

Was the guard just taking the bribe in return for not telling the hotel about the "extra bed charge" or did he think the boy wasn't 18 and wanted a bribe for that?

I really don't think the boy was under 18.... but can't really prove that. I think I'll ask to see his ID next time I'm there.

P.S. the boy was amazing, incredible... really passionate and probably the best sex I've ever had. That's why I offed him when I came back. Really sweet personality as well... kind of different, from the other boys, shy. When I finally offed him on my last night (this was the 2nd trip I had offed him) he still recognised me from the year before and was upset that I had come into the bar a few nights before without talking to him

I said I hadn't seen him (he always dances at the back.. and the bar is too dark) and asked him why he hadn't come over to talk to me, and he said that he'd wanted to, but he saw me saying "no" to a lot of the boys and captains who had came up to me, so he was scared I'd say "no" to him.

TrongpaiExpat
January 27th, 2008, 20:37
That amazing, where do you find the time? You posted that at 8:08pm Thai time and you have been posting since 3:30pm to 8:42pm digging up old posts from 2006.

The bars open at 8, and you posted at 8:08, you not only amazing your dam quick!

January 27th, 2008, 20:46
I have yet to see a boy with a valid id showing he is over 18 years not have it with him and not able to produce it when asked. I suspect your friend was under age.

dab69
January 27th, 2008, 21:42
why ask us -how could we possibly know

January 28th, 2008, 02:41
Hmm. Wondering if he was underage after the event is a bit well............late? Could have been a costly mistake.

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 28th, 2008, 02:57
I wouldn't worry too much. The guard saw an opportunity to make a few baht for turning his head the other way. People do forget their IDs in an imperfect world.

Don't worry your pretty little head about it and do it all again tomorrow night.

Beachlover
January 28th, 2008, 03:09
That amazing, where do you find the time? You posted that at 8:08pm Thai time and you have been posting since 3:30pm to 8:42pm digging up old posts from 2006.

The bars open at 8, and you posted at 8:08, you not only amazing your dam quick!

Erm, I'm not in Thailand at the moment, I'm at home (sadly!)... only just found this forum, so had a quick browse through recent posts to see what was interesting. Yes, I browsed through lot of postings quickly... us youngins tend to do that!

why ask us -how could we possibly know

Thanks for the helpful reply... I asked because I'm sure someone who's offed 20-30 or more boys would have more experience and knowledge than someone who's only offed 2!

I have yet to see a boy with a valid id showing he is over 18 years not have it with him and not able to produce it when asked. I suspect your friend was under age.

Bugger, even though he doesn't feel underage, you may be right. What's worse, is that if he was underage this second time (the 2nd time I visited Thailand), then he must've been even more underaged the first time I visited Thailand a year before that!!!

My heart tells me he's not underage (due to his looks and maturity etc).... but that's not very reassuring!

Hmm. Wondering if he was underage after the event is a bit well............late? Could have been a costly mistake. .

Yep, you know it just didn't occur to me at the time.... I was pretty certain his was over 19, or maybe even 20.

Thanks for the responses. I'm torn befween what the truth could be so would love to hear what some of you more experienced people think!

Dodger
January 28th, 2008, 04:09
Beachlover...

Quote:

the boy was amazing, incredible... really passionate and probably the best sex I've ever had

Just consider the 200 baht well spent...TIT

Hmmm
January 28th, 2008, 06:07
so I pulled out my wallet and gave the guard 200baht. He accepted and nodded us past. The boy apologised again.

So can anyone tell me what that was about???

You just paid the guard the equivalent of 1-2 days salary.

January 28th, 2008, 07:47
beachlover
it is a near certainty the boy was underage. ask to see their id before you leave the bar.

Beachlover
January 28th, 2008, 07:54
I wouldn't worry too much. The guard saw an opportunity to make a few baht for turning his head the other way. People do forget their IDs in an imperfect world.

Don't worry your pretty little head about it and do it all again tomorrow night.

I hope he really did just forget his ID!

Yes, I had naively assumed that all boys working in the bars and endorsed by the bars were of legal age.... that is, until I found this forum and had a read through it, yesterday. I will make sure I check in future...

If anyone else has ever had this experience (and found the boy really did forget his ID... or found out the boy was underage).. please let me know.

Otherwise, thanks for all the responses! I'm amazed how many read this forum.

January 28th, 2008, 11:25
beachlover, it certainly seems the lad could have been underage--if that thought had crossed your mind--you say he was 19--well that is close enough for a Thai to also possibly be 15-17--you should have turned around and gone back to the bar or sent the lad on his way--great sex or not, you took the chance that you could have ended up in jail and that memory of "great sex" would have had to last you for a very long time. If the guard and lad were exchanging info about the lad being underage and you paid the guard for letting the lad go ahead, after you had gone, the guard could easily have called the police and sent them to visit you==the lad or bar would not have had any problems, but you would have been in serious trouble.

Beachlover
January 28th, 2008, 11:44
Yes, I will be more careful next time. I really had no idea that underage boys worked in bars there.... I remember hearing about this problem on the news a few years ago, and hearing about a huge crackdown on underage stuff... now it all "looks" legitimate.

I think it's likely he is the only boy I will ever off in Thailand... so I'll see him again when I return and find out the truth. I still believe it's 60% chance that he was over 18.

But if he did lie... it will not be hard to forgive those beautiful eyes, that warm, welcoming body and that sweet, shy and genuine personality.... provided he is now over 18, of course!

January 28th, 2008, 14:25
There are 4 possible reasons - underaged, no ID, no extra guest charge or a scam between the boy and security. Which ever it was I wouldn't dwell on it any more {unless there are photos of you and the boy having fun} Don't get me wrong I'm certainly not saying that if you can get away with it then keep on doing it - I'm basically saying you had a lucky escape and should learn from your mistakes.

I have to admit that reading this thread got me thinking as I had just seen a boy on Gaydar now aged 28 who I first met quite a few years ago - I tried to backtrack, I knew I met him before 2004 but I thought the previous trip to LOS was in 1996 - slight panic until I found another entry in my old passport for 1999.

Do boys of 18+ ever forget their ID - simple answer - yes, offed a boy from near Yensabi condos - got to the lobby and he was asked for his ID - he couldn't find it and thought he may have left it back in the bar - less than 10 minutes later he was back with his ID card.

Beachlover
January 28th, 2008, 14:36
There are 4 possible reasons - underaged, no ID, no extra guest charge or a scam between the boy and security. Which ever it was I wouldn't dwell on it any more {unless there are photos of you and the boy having fun} Don't get me wrong I'm certainly not saying that if you can get away with it then keep on doing it - I'm basically saying you had a lucky escape and should learn from your mistakes.

I have to admit that reading this thread got me thinking as I had just seen a boy on Gaydar now aged 28 who I first met quite a few years ago - I tried to backtrack, I knew I met him before 2004 but I thought the previous trip to LOS was in 1996 - slight panic until I found another entry in my old passport for 1999.

Do boys of 18+ ever forget their ID - simple answer - yes, offed a boy from near Yensabi condos - got to the lobby and he was asked for his ID - he couldn't find it and thought he may have left it back in the bar - less than 10 minutes later he was back with his ID card.

Thanks BeardedBrian, phew... ok so there's a decent chance he was of legal age and simply forgot his ID. I'm glad someone else's had this experience (and found out that the boy genuinly forgot his ID).

I had previously thought there would be no reason to forget your ID, as you would carry it in your wallet, which is always in your pocket/bag like your mobile and keys would be.

If it was a scam between the boy and security, then it was a beneficial scam! It prevented me from having to pay the "extra bed" charge, which is way more than the measly 200baht I gave the security guard.... and it also meant that when I checked out, I still had the "innocent" record of never having had a dubious guest in my room lol

January 28th, 2008, 15:23
Do you guys get off reading and answering this crap? Get a freakin life ya'll

January 28th, 2008, 16:29
Whilst there is a chance that the boy in question may have been under aged, BeardedBrian has come up with four other reasons for him not having his ID on him. I could add many more, but one reason more than any other that I find for boys not being in possession of their Id's is because of the following.

When stopped by the police on their motorcycles, which is a regular occurrence for most, the end result in the large majority of cases, is because of the fact that the boys are unable to pay what the police ask, or they don't have a driving licence, (very few do) or are unable to provide documents for the bike they are riding, the police take their Id's from them until they report to the police station with these necessary documents.

I have accompanied more than a few boys to the police station to pay fines in order to retrieve their Id's and in some cases, retrieve their motorcycles when they too have been confiscated by the police until documents of ownership can be produced. In the cases where documents can not be found for one reason or another, an envelope containing a reasonable amount of Baht, seems to work just as well as providing documents and ensures that the motorcycle is returned to the boy. You wouldn't believe that sort of thing was possible, would you? http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

In a lot of cases, the boys never bother retrieving their Id's and wait until they return to their own provinces, where it is easy for them to obtain new Id's after reporting their previous ones lost.

So, with that all said, I don't think it is necessary to be as paranoid as some posters seem to have been in your case, that the boy having no ID, implied most likely, that he was under age. As a newbie to Thailand, I will make excuses on your behalf for your not being sure whether or not the boy was 18. I say this, as although there will always be exceptions to the rule, I believe that those of us that have been here for any length of time, know that the Thai boys that work in some bars that are under 18, clearly look under 18.

In the cases when these boys are "offed," those claiming that Thai boys generally look younger than they are and the boy could have been 18, are in my opinion making excuses in order to justify the off to themself, or to others that may know them and who perhaps spotted them with the boy.

One last thing to remember when asking a Thai boy his age is this: A Thai boy will always tell you his age with respect to the year he is in. Meaning, if he is 17 and in his 18Th year on this earth, he will tell you that he is 18. This is not a lie on his part and is something that is practiced by all Thais, young and old, male and female.

With regard to your situation, if the boy was 17, unless you were set up, something that doesn't happen often but is not unheard of, I doubt that there was much chance of the police pounding on your hotel room door. I say this as although you will not see this fact admitted to very often on this forum, many hotel rooms and condo's, every night, have farang's in them who are accompanied by 17 year old boys whom they have offed. With rare exceptions, it is something most have done at times despite their denial of ever having done so. I should also add, that I am far from convinced, when those few that do admit to having done so, claim that they did not know the boys age.

With regard to security gaurd, what you did is also something that is done quite frequently. My only comment on this is, that you rewarded him to handsomely IMO, as he would have been more than happy with 100 Baht. However, condidering the circumstances and the fact that you say the hotel in question had joiner fees, 200 baht was probably a lot cheaper than the joiner fee would have been.

Whilst it should be the responsibility of all bar owners and mama-sans to ensure that the boys working in their bars are 18 years and above, those farang residing here, along with those that visit regularly, will know that this has never been the case in Pattaya and in all probability never will be. So if you want to be as sure as you possibly can be, bearing in mind that many boys also possess fake Id's, never off a boy unless he has an ID stating clearly that he is 18.

By the way, with regard to what I have said immediately above, don't assume that the picture of the boy on the ID he shows you is a fake one if it doesn't resemble him too much. Some boys do manage to keep their Id's for a long while and very often, the picture of them on their ID would have been taken a few years earlier and almost certainly, been taken whilst they were in their provinces and before they came to Pattaya. Because of changes to their hair styles etc, they rarely look the same as they did when the picture was taken. The picture on my b/f's ID card looks nothing like him, but I know that it is having seen others pictures from the same time as when the id one was taken.

I hope some of the above may be of help to you in trying to understand what goes on in "Amazing Thailand", as opposed to what some believe goes on, as you did. Your naivety I believe, was only because of your lack of knowledge and experience about Pattaya, which is a naivety that was shared by everyone on this forum at one time or another. I also hope that you enjoy your future visits to the LOS.

In closing, I would like to say that the boy in question who is responsible for your thread, sounds very sweet from what you have said about him. I don't blame you one bit for trying to pursue a happy and long term relationship with him, which despite what you may hear from some on this forum, is something that is possible in my opinion and, does happen. Good luck on that score too.

Choc Dee Beachlover, http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/beerchug.gif

George. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Peace.gif

January 28th, 2008, 16:55
Do you guys get off reading and answering this crap? Get a freakin life ya'll

So nice of you to drop in Boogy with the normal helpful information for new posters that you provide, as well as showing them what a wonderfully caring and compassionate human being you are. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

It is obvious that you have read most of this thread, even though you have failed to reply in a constructive way. Hey, what's new where you are concerned. I believe that you more than anyone else here I know, are someone that needs to take his own advice and get a life. I wish you every success in your efforts in achieving this should you make an attempt to do so. However, in the meantime with regard to your post above, I would just like to say: Fuck You. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/2finger.gif

Somebody obviously needs to, as from the evidence of your posts, it has been a long while since anyone did. Isn't that true Boogy? Be a good boy Boogy and tell us the truth that it is. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/hump.gif

G.

Why don't I take heed of what is in TOQ's siggy? Which for those that don't know is:

I keep telling myself, don't feed the trolls. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/BangHead1.gif

January 28th, 2008, 17:02
I remember a couple of years back I was approached, sort of lept upon by a young lad in the alleyway leading to the Tarntawan Hotel. He was drop dead gorgeous. He asked to come to my room. I was suspicious. I asked for his ID card. "No have!" But he assured me in broken English that I did not have to worry about such formalities. He was very young teenager, my guess, maybe 16.
I dropped him like a hot potato.....not interested (although he was stunning in the looks department.)
He said " I come your your room, you f**K me good...no problem!)
No thanks.......Lard Yao is not my idea of bed & breakfast. I never saw him again.
HEED the warnings........DO NOT have sex with underage persons!

January 29th, 2008, 02:55
Why so much debate, anyone who's been in Thailand more than a day knows exactly what was said between the boy and the guard! The boys age and whether he had an ID card are irrelevant in explaining the behaviour. The only certainty is the boy collected 100 Baht extra from the guard on the way out ;)

What a cynic you are cnx4shan. Although what you have suggested is of course quite possible, I doubt that is what happened in this case. Apart from any other reasons on my part for saying this, the security guard would have been well gone by the time the boy left the hotel, which I believe was the following morning.

To say that all Thai boys are as devious as you are trying to make them out to be by your comments above, would be the equivalent to saying that all farang that are taken in by these type of occurrences are idiots, which we know is not true. Only ninety five per cent of them are. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

G.

Beachlover
January 30th, 2008, 17:19
Thanks George... yes I'm now 90% sure he just forgot his ID... I'm pretty sure he was over 18, but there's still a small chance he wasn't.

The main thing which worries me is that both times I've visited Thailand, he told me he was 19 years old... and the visits were well over a year apart! any other Thai boy would probably tell me "you think too much"..... but he just looked confused when I asked him this! likewise when I asked his birthday.... hmmmm

This was in Phuket (not Pattaya) and he didn't have a motorbike.

yes, I've heard of the "18th year" instead of "18 years old" thing they do... that's a rather convenient Thai tradition for some of them isn't it?

I was more than happy to give the guard 200b as he did save me a few hundred baht in joiners fees... and maintained my innocent image with the front desk!... and btw the boy didn't suggest how much to give the guard (I'm pretty sure) .... and he didn't stay overnight, I didn't ask him to.

anways.... I guess we live and learn...

January 31st, 2008, 06:23
The bottom line is you had a great night and one to remember.

Consider all this concern about under age as a lesson to remember in the future, but more importantly, remember for a very long time what a sweet young thing you had that night when he gave you his best.

Outside Thailand, most of us, as we get older, don't have so many great memories.

What bothers me most is your statement: "I think it's likely he is the only boy I will ever off in Thailand..."

After finding Thailand, why would any man that loves young men give up on the wonderful world of "offs"?

Start planning your next trip. Enjoy totally (but exercise added precaution about age and ID). A minor speed bump on the way to having a great night with good memories.

Beachlover
February 1st, 2008, 18:49
what a sweet young thing you had that night when he gave you his best.

You summed that night up perfectly :-) it was sweet

Outside Thailand, most of us, as we get older, don't have so many great memories.

What bothers me most is your statement: "I think it's likely he is the only boy I will ever off in Thailand..."

After finding Thailand, why would any man that loves young men give up on the wonderful world of "offs"? .

Well, ok, maybe later on I might off other boys... but I guess, for the moment, he's the only boy I would ever off for now.

Perhaps in the future when I get older things will change. For now, I'm still quite young (not much older than this boy said he was)... and I'm also Asian so, I guess this makes me attractive to some of the gay Thai boys as well as farangs. I had quite a few men buy me a drinks when I visited gay bars in Thailand... but that's another story...

I just got worried when I read Silomfarang's "Bangkok Novel" at www.gayboythailand.com (http://www.gayboythailand.com) .... I guess there are a lot of pitfalls for new people to Thailand.... All I was told was to watch out for the usual scams...

I won't worry about this incident anymore... but I'll be careful in the future... and if I go back there and find him again, I'll solve the mystery but asking to see his ID this time!

February 3rd, 2008, 15:55
1 Always check ID cards, unless he's very obviously well over 20.

2 I think it's normal for hotels to check ID cards, so he should take responsibility for carrying one -no excuses. You could have given him a 800 baht tip & explained that 200 is deducted for the security guard bribe. Quite fair, but possibly a little tight if he performed well...

3 The idea of charging a joiners fee should be discouraged, as it's unfair & increases our costs above those for couples who book in together. Wherever possible, please try to boycott such places. Even better, e-mail them in advance to check joiner policy & if they have a joiners fee, reply to clearly state you will stay elsewhere because of this.

francois
February 4th, 2008, 14:04
I never check IDs and always am happy to tip the security guard to do same-same.. You got a good deal Beachlover, stop worrying and start enjoying. Probably underage and the guard knew it and the boy knew it and you and everyone were happy to ignore it. No conspiracy, no bribes, just business as usual.

February 4th, 2008, 17:42
Bollocks to the question of the ID card what I'd like to know about is this extra bed charge you are talking of. In my 20 odd years coming to Thailand I have never been charged extra for taking a boy back to my hotel and if I had been I would have checked out there and then

Beachlover
February 4th, 2008, 18:09
well... what kind of places have you been staying at?

Beachlover
February 4th, 2008, 18:20
1 Always check ID cards, unless he's very obviously well over 20.

2 I think it's normal for hotels to check ID cards, so he should take responsibility for carrying one -no excuses. You could have given him a 800 baht tip & explained that 200 is deducted for the security guard bribe. Quite fair, but possibly a little tight if he performed well...

3 The idea of charging a joiners fee should be discouraged, as it's unfair & increases our costs above those for couples who book in together. Wherever possible, please try to boycott such places. Even better, e-mail them in advance to check joiner policy & if they have a joiners fee, reply to clearly state you will stay elsewhere because of this.

Yes, joiners fees really suck. But I couldn't find a place on the beach that didnt have one.

erm, I gave him a 4000baht tip *blush* he really was amazing!

Before I drown under a deluge of your criticism for giving him so much, you should also know that the other reasons why I gave him so much were:

- he was really caring and genuine

- he'd had a pretty bad few weeks... only being offed, maybe once a week (I never saw him go with a customer, and I'm not suprised, he is amazingly cute but always dances up the back, doesn't dance that enthusiastically like the less attractive boys doand isn't really in the right bar... the bar for younger and cuter boys like him is across the road at BB Boys. He was at My Way where they are older and more manly).

- it was my last night there.... so not much else to spend baht on!

- also I kinda had a deep crush on him.... i've only ever felt this way with 1 girl and 1 boy (none of them in Thailand) before.... so was kinda special. Geez I miss him... bugger, I can't believe I had to fall in love with someone 10,000kms away...

I can't imagine him going with other guys....worse yet, older and less attractive ones! He shouldn't be with them! He should really be with meeee! I'm almost his age (whatever the hell it is), almost as cute as him and I make truckloads of money so I could take care of him! "sigh" love makes you think silly irrational thoughts....

Beachlover
February 4th, 2008, 18:30
Bollocks to the question of the ID card what I'd like to know about is this extra bed charge you are talking of. In my 20 odd years coming to Thailand I have never been charged extra for taking a boy back to my hotel and if I had been I would have checked out there and then

what kind of places have you been staying at?

the place I stay in Phuket charges a joiners fee, but I've never had to pay it because:

1st time: it was 1 or 2am when I took the boy back, and the security guard wasn't in front of the building I was in (I didn't have to walk past reception)

2nd time: .... well you've read the story above... the guard must've "forgotten" about recording the joiner for my room... after acceptng my 200baht

February 5th, 2008, 02:26
To end this unreasonable discrimination of joiners fees: PLEASE PLEASE e-mail the hotel in advance, if they have a joiners fee, book another hotel & e-mail them back to explain precisely why you will not be using that hotel.
Also, please paste the name of the hotel here.

Hotels can only charge fees which people are prepared to pay.

Beachlover
February 5th, 2008, 04:44
To end this unreasonable discrimination of joiners fees: PLEASE PLEASE e-mail the hotel in advance, if they have a joiners fee, book another hotel & e-mail them back to explain precisely why you will not be using that hotel.
Also, please paste the name of the hotel here.

Hotels can only charge fees which people are prepared to pay.

It states clearly on their website that they charge a joiners fee.... sucks... but I couldn't find a hotel I liked that didn't have a joiners fee quickly...

I dont mind joiners fees... well I do mind them, but I agree that it's fair (but not nice) to charge one... but I think its unfair if the joiners fee makes the total cost more than that of hiring a double (instead of a single).

February 7th, 2008, 17:49
When checking Thai ID, always remember the ID is in Thai years.

2533 is 18 years of age. Anyone born after 2533 is UNDER 18

Bob
February 7th, 2008, 23:01
All of the new national identity cards issued since about 2005 also have the western (gregorian) year clearly printed on the cards (I posted an example of one of those cards in some past thread). But, in case you run into one of the older ones (pretty soon they should all be gone*), it's good to know the current Thai year is 2051. So, if that's what you see, you can figure out the math (18 years before today's date is the obvious cutoff).

They're guaranteed to be 18 if they were born prior to 2033 but may or may not be under 18 if born in 2033 (e.g., sombody born in July of 2033 isn't 18 yet). Be careful.

*I now see in another thread that somebody is saying they were still issuing the old cards as of last year. Strange (but you'd think everybody will get the new cards eventually).

globalwanderer
February 8th, 2008, 00:10
All of the new national identity cards issued since about 2005 also have the western (gregorian) year clearly printed on the cards (I posted an example of one of those cards in some past thread). But, in case you run into one of the older ones (pretty soon they should all be gone*), it's good to know the current Thai year is 2051. So, if that's what you see, you can figure out the math (18 years before today's date is the obvious cutoff).

They're guaranteed to be 18 if they were born prior to 2033 but may or may not be under 18 if born in 2033 (e.g., sombody born in July of 2033 isn't 18 yet). Be careful.

*I now see in another thread that somebody is saying they were still issuing the old cards as of last year. Strange (but you'd think everybody will get the new cards eventually).

The current Thai year is 2551... you're 500 years out!

February 8th, 2008, 08:08
Came late to this thread so most of what I would have said has already been said.
But that won't stop me from finding something else to say....

Another possible reason for not having ID is the boy could have been an illegal from Burma or Cambodia. Being that you took him off from a reputable establishment (well, as reputable as a brothel can be) I would bet that he probably did forget/loose his ID somewhere along the way.

This last trip boyfriend forgot his id at home. We stayed upcountry at his place for 3 days before returning to Bangkok for our flight to Phuket. It wasn't until we got to the airport and were checking in that he realized he forgot his id. He had bought a new purse and forgot to put his old wallet with id in it before we left! For some odd reason he put his new Passport in the purse and luckily that was sufficient for the airline and hotel. Disaster averted.

I'm a bit confused when you say the hotel charges an "extra bed" fee. That's not the same as a "joiners fee". But if the hotel does charge a "joiners fee" don't be shy about naming it.

As others have said, the simple solution is check ID at the bar.