PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Thai SIM-Card

DonMuang-old
February 24th, 2006, 01:16
Dear Friends,

I'm looking for a SIM-card to buy during my stay in Thailand. Price per minute is not so important, I'm searching for a card which doesn't expire too fast as I'm not coming back afterwards for a couple of months to top it up again. Also roaming in other countries, e.g. Singapore, Bali, maybe even Europe would be nice.
Does anybody know which one to buy?

February 26th, 2006, 23:59
oh.... I am surprised to see that while I am outside LOS at the moment, nobody replied to this simple topic and helped that guy.... well, u should buy a 1-2-call / AIS - sim card, each 300-Baht-Top-Up will give u one month lifetime. and the good thing in Thailand is, u get this 1-month always on top. so if u buy 12 x 300 Baht Vouchers, and use them all immidiately to top up ur account, then u have gained 1 year lifetime (thats the longest period possible, no matter how often u top up).
I dont remember if u have to get the roaming thing enabled at a 1-2-call / AIS counter in one of the shopping-malls, but why not go there and buy the SIM Card there.... they dont speak much English usually but will try to help u anyway....
as for my 1-2-call, I can receive calls, make calls while I am in other Asian countries (f.e.: in INDONESIA now), I can receive SMS, but for a reason I dont know, I can not SEND sms while I am outside Thailand....
if u need any further information or assist, feel free to private me, and I will be back to LOS in a couple of days....

2lz2p
February 27th, 2006, 07:38
If price per call is not important, then check out the different plans for 1-2-Call (AIS). I stick with the 300 baht/one month plan. However, a friend changed his to another plan that chages 5 baht per call, but extends the life for a greater period (apologies, but I don't recall the specifics on amount/length of time).

February 28th, 2006, 20:52
One sim card only costs 300 baht (sometimes 200 baht during promotions), and usually it comes with minimum 50 baht worth of airtime.
So it depends on how often you come to Thailand. If you only come 3 times (or less) a year. 3 x 300 baht = 900 baht, adding 300 baht for additional airtime purchase each visit, 3x300baht=900, total is only 1800 baht.
If you top 12 months, 300x12=3600 baht, this costs more.

:-)

March 2nd, 2006, 21:52
What I do in some of the asian countries is buy a couple of sim cards, one for my next visit, they generally have a long expiry date before their first use date. Obviously once they are opened and used they expire, depending on their use. I bought two in KL, used one of them and because it expired when I arrived back in London, the other one which hasnt been opened expires in 2008, the point being I have a "number" for the next time I go to KL. Singapore is rather good to because their sim cards (or some of them) do not expire for six months after first use, so you can top up with 10 dollars or equal after six months then you get another six months.

As already been said the 121 card in thailand is not so good, expires 1 month after you have put about 300 bhat on it. Obviously if you use it a lot and top it up a lot it extends, mine is valid till September 06, but the problem now is that calls made overseas are really cheap on mobiles now using the 09 or 08 prefixed numbers, so you don't spend as much. And Ive noticed the philosphy of buying 2 cards doesnt work because their expiry date (before being used) is generally only a few months. Mind you there are obviously other providers in Thailand that probably do better deals but generally the 121 (or whatever is called) is the most popular.

March 3rd, 2006, 23:48
I use Orange-Nan JING JING (That is the specific card) the topoff gives you twice the amout of time (A 300 baht refill gives you 60 days) - Maximum refill time is 360 days

You could just buy a new sim each time as suggested but you will lose your number from visit to visit - That could be good thing...

yaraboy
March 8th, 2006, 21:57
If you go to AIS office 3rd floor World Trade Bldg in Bnk you can purchase longer time periods Forget exact price but think it is 250 days for 2000 baht...anyway definitely cheaper than 300 per month

March 9th, 2006, 01:15
If you go to AIS office 3rd floor World Trade Bldg in Bnk you can purchase longer time periods Forget exact price but think it is 250 days for 2000 baht...anyway definitely cheaper than 300 per month

Isn't that the same 250 days is about 8 months and say 10 days = 2000

7 months x 300 bhat = 2100 bht

There isn't much in it

March 9th, 2006, 05:58
What happens after the 250 days?
What time credit do you get for refills?
Are refill time cumulative?