PDA

View Full Version : Songkran

DeHaro-old
January 24th, 2008, 20:16
Unfortunately I have to be in Thailand over Songkran this year. I think I hate it from what I see and hear.

Do you guys know any place to go where I can avoid the mess ? I mean more or less in Phuket, Ko Samui, Ko Chang, Pattaya ? I have no idea where to flee without becoming too bored.

January 24th, 2008, 20:25
Unfortunately I have to be in Thailand over Songkran this year. I think I hate it from what I see and hear.

Do you guys know any place to go where I can avoid the mess ? I mean more or less in Phuket, Ko Samui, Ko Chang, Pattaya ? I have no idea where to flee without becoming too bored.
I don't think I know of anywhere to flee. Maybe one of the quieter islands would be suitable. Most seasoned visitors and a large number of resident expats either avoid the place entirely or go to adjacent countries during the 'festivities'.

You could buy enough booze (whatever is your tipple) for 72 hours, hire yourself your favourite boy and settle down in your hotel for the duration of the carnage - that should stop you being too bored. :cheers:

January 24th, 2008, 20:41
Rent one of the studio rooms at Mosaik apartments and just sit on the balcony and watch all the action. Usually safe after dark to venture out.

thrillbill
January 24th, 2008, 21:02
I live and work in Pattaya so I have a different perspective on Songkran than a tourist who is visiting. Songkran can be fun for a day or two which is followed in various regions in Thailand. The mystery here is that different parts of Thailand celebrate it (officially) on different dates. A few years ago during my "Songkran" vacation I went to Phuket and it was celebrated there...then when I landed back in Bangkok and stayed there for a couple days, it was time to celebrate Songkran(more like a drunken, wet Mardi Gras) there...then (not knowing) three days after my stay in BKK, it was time for Naklua and Pattaya to have the official parade and all. Once my taxi arrived in the Naklua area, it took it over one hour for me to get to my condo due to crowds blocking the streets.

Last year I planned to get out of Pattaya before they celebrated Songkran and booked a flight to Singapore... but it wasn't soon enough. The first day I had off, the bar girls and some drunk tourists were already along the streets during the day throwing water --not too funny when you're trying to go to the bank to get some business done or just walk down to the grocery store. So I quickly rescheduled my flight to Singapore and got the hell out the next day.

Like I said, Songkran is fun for a couple days, but in Pattaya it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

(Yes, I have my ticket booked for KL for the first day my vacation begins.)

January 24th, 2008, 23:24
Usually safe after dark to venture out.
Sadly, not so, at least in the Pattaya area. The *Thais* stop around sunset, but some asshole farangs continue well into the night. You know the type.

Two years ago, I went to dinnner around 730pm in a baht bus and had a nice dress shirt ruined while riding down Jomtien Beach Road when doused by a pail full of liquid (probably water) with some contaminant that left stains that would not come out. It was not the relatively "innocent" talcum powder...

Also, try at all costs to keep your eyes shielded and mouth closed when being hit by the water. Some hotels and condos rely on untreated and unfiltered swamp water delivered by tanker trucks. You do not want that water to find its way into your body.

January 25th, 2008, 03:51
Can you tell me what dates that it will be going on in Pattaya this year

Thanks

colmx
January 25th, 2008, 05:21
Hi Skeet
As per the post above the main days in Pattaya will be the 18th and 19th of April

It all kicks off in BangSaen on the 17th, with all the university students there going wild

Expect Mayhem mainly in Naklua on the morning of the 18th and on the sidewalks of Pattaya and Jomtien in the afternoon/early evening
Expect Mayhem all over Pattaya and Jomtien all day on the 19th

People generally start in Central Pattaya and make their way to South Pattaya or start in south Pattaya and make their way to Jomtien

Of course you can expect to start getting wet anytime after the 11th of April :flower:

Personally - I arrive at 7am on the 18th... will be taking Taxi to my accomodation, getting a few hours sleep and then joining in 48 hours of complete bedlam!

This year we are also planning on going to Sattahip on the 20th - Songkran occurs there a day later

We usually set up shop in Country road in Jomtien, open a few bottles of 100 pipers, buy some blocks of ice and splash the afternoon away... its the best place to catch unsuspecting people on the Baht buses! If anyone wants to join in the fun be sure to let me know!

(i know joining in a "playing water" is distasteful to a lot of the farangs on here, I too hate the farang who try to knock people off their motor bikes or blind them with those high pressure pipes and those who wet people going to work dinner etc. However a few splashes of water on those coming from the beach or those joinging in the fun never hurts anyone!)

Nathan B
January 25th, 2008, 05:41
I've never had so much fun. You have to try it at least once. Join in wholeheartedly.

Hmmm
January 25th, 2008, 17:11
The official dates that most of the country follows are 13th to 15th April. Chonburi (incl Pattaya) is different for unknown reasons.

I did Songkran once. That was enough. Since then I get out of the country ...
2005: Singapore
2006: Vietnam
2007: Hong Kong
This year: Malaysia

If you have to be in Thailand, I found Hua Hin much less crazy. It largely lacks the drunken farang element, so that may be why. Staying near the beach seemed to help too - if you're in the water people see less point in throwing it at you.

I would expect other places that attract a 'higher class' of tourist and are under tighter controls of various kinds might also be calmer - eg Ao Nang in Krabi.

Dodger
January 25th, 2008, 17:53
DeHaro,

You may want to consider taking a short trip to one of the smaller towns during that period to experience a much more subdued and traditional form of Songkran.

I'm one of those maniacs who actually enjoys the fun for a day or two, although had one of the most memorable experiences a few years ago in the town of Phrae in north central Thailand. There were no other farangs in sight, the water was commonly sprinkled on the foreheads in a loving manner - versus being blasted from a high-powered tubes aiming at the eyes, you feel welcomed by every person in sight, and there were cute boys walking around half-mau in dripping wet t shirts and saggy pants. What more can you ask for?

I walked the sois of Phrae during the whole celebration with my camcorder going and rarely, if ever, got a drop of water on the lenses. Every time a crowd of smiling water-slingers spotted me they immediately lowered their buckets and aimed their splashes at my legs and feet to avoid damaging my camera. Just imagine trying to do that in a place like PTY of BKK. Hell, in PTY, they'd aim for the camera.

If you're a boy cruiser (like me), you'll also enjoy the small town opportunities, especially on the day where the whole town is mau and you're the only farang in sight. I have "this thing" about boys who are soaking wet and smiling at the same time...just toooooooo sexy. I ended up having a cute little angel self appoint himself ass my guide during the early evening hours, although he appeared to be a bit young to be bringing back to the hotel so I was forced to part ways with him...ugh!

I'm looking forward to celebrating this Songkran in the small town of Kantharalak near Si Saket with the bf and his family members, and looking forward to it immensely.

Splish - Splash

January 26th, 2008, 09:13
If you have to be in Thailand, I found Hua Hin much less crazy. It largely lacks the drunken farang element, so that may be why.

That may well have been the case in the past, but unlikely to remain the same now that Smiles has moved in as a
resident. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

Cheers Smiles, http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Wink.gif

George.