PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia Hotel - No More!

danny99
January 22nd, 2008, 10:41
I have been a staunch supporter of the Malaysia Hotel over the past 6 years, staying there on 19 separate occasions, usually for a 10 day duration. Sure it had its faults [occasional lumpy beds, pillows that should have been retired years ago, position just a little too far away unless you are a Babylon freak, etc. but for Bht 700 or thereabouts the plusses [large bedroom with two beds, one double, one single, TV Refrigerator, swimming pool, reasonable restaurant, zero problem with visiting friends, etc] far outweighed them.

I have always booked by email many months in advance as the Malaysia is always full. However since the new airport opened it now takes longer to get processed at both immigration and waiting for luggage, so I get to the hotel [from regular daily Thai flight from Bali] around 9.15.p.m., instead of 8.30 from Don Muang. Last two visits they had not bothered to hold my reservation, and furthermore that little ever-smiling arrogant bald-headed creep who has worked at reception for ever [like all of them] could not give a stuff! I fully realise that Thais only ever smile, would never actually apologise for anything [never wrong so why], just grin and do nothing, but he is the most infuriating excuse-for-a-man I have met in Thailand.

At most any other hotel in the world, even a budget one, a guest who had stayed 19 times [190 days] over past 6 years would actually be greeted with respect. they may even bend the rules for you!

Maybe I will try Jimmy's Pinnacle next time, although it seems that he does not like answering emails [already 3 weeks and no answer]. Rooms are much smaller and very overdue for renovation, but the position is just that bit better only 400 metres from the station and the sauna on the roof did look quite interesting [the 'straight' ones are usually the best as I found out at The Rose over Christmas [my replacement hotel] with a couple of visiting Japanese boys, but their new tariff at The Rose of Baht 1,700 is just not worth it].

TrongpaiExpat
January 22nd, 2008, 10:53
If you had a guaranteed room, gave a credit card and agreed to a one night charge for a no show, then there's no excuse for that treatment. Still, it happens, someone could have walked in looking for a room and they gambled. If they did gamble and lost then they should have found you another equal or better room for free. That has happen to me a few times and each time it was hard to complain getting a better room free.

If you walked down soi sribumphen, opposite the Malaysia, there's a bunch of new decent looking guest houses as well as the Honey Inn on nahmdupree.

Forget Jimmy's email, it's broken, you have to call. Last I had for his phone is 081 859 6585

painai2
January 22nd, 2008, 11:47
One problem with the Malaysia, they don't kick you out. So, if you had reserved a room for 10 days, but decide to stay 12--no problem. Recently, a friend and I showed up with a reservation for 2 rooms for 2 nights, they had only one room, the other was in their guest house--really bad room. Too many people were extending their stays, so the guest house was the best they could do. Another bad experience, once I had said I would arrive at noon, but I arrived at 4:00--they had given my room to someone else by that time. Since that happened, I've learned to always give a check-in time a couple hours later than I really plan to arrive. That way the room will be there. All in all, I still like the Malaysia. Hope this doesn't start another bitch fest on the pros and cons of staying there.

January 22nd, 2008, 11:57
... that little ever-smiling arrogant bald-headed creep who has worked at reception for ever [like all of them] could not give a stuff! I fully realise that Thais only ever smile, would never actually apologise for anything [never wrong so why], just grin and do nothing, but he is the most infuriating excuse-for-a-man I have met in Thailand ...

HAVE YOU LOOKED IN THE MIRROR RECENTLY??????

January 24th, 2008, 08:47
u'd better said " Malaysia-HOTEL - no more" (which I would SECOND with no doubt)

because people may think u r talking about the country. came just back from Malaysia (the country) last night, and, as all my approx. 15 trips to there before, enjoyed it a lot :-)

January 24th, 2008, 11:32
Another bad experience, once I had said I would arrive at noon, but I arrived at 4:00--they had given my room to someone else by that time

same here!!

January 25th, 2008, 00:02
If you have reserved the hotel, with or without a deposit, they should hold the room until your expected arrival time + a suitable safety margin for travel problems (maybe 2 hours?).

Renaging on a reservation like this is quite disgraceful & you are quite right to make a post highlighting their behaviour, as it is your only effective sanction.
For effect, you could also e-mail the manager & remind him that such problems are normally posted on hotel review websites these days.

Equally, any guests should advice the hotel as far as possible in advance of cancellations.

January 25th, 2008, 01:26
u'd better said " Malaysia-HOTEL - no more" (which I would SECOND with no doubt)

because people may think u r talking about the country. came just back from Malaysia (the country) last night, and, as all my approx. 15 trips to there before, enjoyed it a lot :-)

Malaysia is a modern civilized country indeed - people, unlikely most Thais - even speak English. :8( :8(

Concerning the overbooking problem: Thai hospitality industry is fine as long as there are no problems. "Smiling" does not resolve all issues and comparing to neighboring countries Thailand is falling much behind when it comes to service attitude and value for money. This applies to all segments from budget to luxury.

Let's vote with our wallet. Personally I avoid now spending money in Thailand and will patronize rather other destinations nearby.

January 25th, 2008, 17:26

Malaysia is a modern civilized country indeed - people, unlikely most Thais - even speak English. :8( :8(

Concerning the overbooking problem: Thai hospitality industry is fine as long as there are no problems. "Smiling" does not resolve all issues and comparing to neighboring countries Thailand is falling much behind when it comes to service attitude and value for money. This applies to all segments from budget to luxury.

Let's vote with our wallet. Personally I avoid now spending money in Thailand and will patronize rather other destinations nearby.

Be good........what an ignorant fuckwit you are. You are a fukn cretin! I have NEVER had an accomodation problem in Thailand that was not resolved within minutes. As for you avoiding spending money in Thailand.....I'm sure they wont miss it. Please stay in your hole in Malaysia and enjoy!

January 25th, 2008, 18:53
"If you would like to make reservation please e-mail us at : info@malaysiahotelbkk.com┬а┬а┬а┬а┬а ┬а┬а┬а┬а┬а┬а┬а

In the subject please type : room reservation

*If check in late, we require credit card guarantee by fax (VISA / MASTER / AMEX). Please advise us your flight number and arrival time and fax us credit card's copy with the details of card number, card holderтАЩs name, expiration date, and authorization signature.
**In case of no show, we will charge only one night through the credit card.

MALAYSIA HOTEL
54 Soi Ngam Duplee, Rama 4 Road, Sathon, Bangkok 10120 Thailand
Tel. 66(2) 679-7127 to 36, Fax. 66(2) 287-1457"

http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/index.html

They ask for a copy of the 'authorized signature'!! I doubt that many will want to go that route.

January 25th, 2008, 21:32
[quote="aussieal"

Be good........what an ignorant fuckwit you are. You are a fukn cretin! I have NEVER had an accomodation problem in Thailand that was not resolved within minutes. As for you avoiding spending money in Thailand.....I'm sure they wont miss it. Please stay in your hole in Malaysia and enjoy![/quote]

Thank you for your kind words. Being in a very senior position in the hospitality industry I know about what I am writing.

You may be lucky or just not difficult as a guest. Of course we all enjoy the pleasant mess Thailand is, but from a strict service / (language) skill and value for money point of view, Thailand is no longer leading in the SE market and will lose market shares towards destinations nearby.

If you consider the visible lack of generosity in Thai hotels (except the luxury segment) and being suspected permanently as a thief by subaltern staff without any power of decision, then of course you have no problem!

P.S. Thailand might be the ideal destination for people using your vocabulary and qualifying themselves as the lowest class of "farang" possible. What about changing your screen name to "aussieredneck" ?

January 25th, 2008, 22:06
I find it difficult to get over excited about an hotel, with rates from 618 baht a night inc. taxes, behaving badly on 2 occasions out of 21.

"I have been a staunch supporter of the Malaysia Hotel"
I don't really think so. You used it because your liked the product at the price location etc. As soon as things go wrong you decide never to stay there again and write bad things about it on the main Gay Thailand Forum to do them damage.

Why not talk to the General Manager and tell him about the problems that you have encountered and give them a chance to sort them out and maybe put you on their VIP list. Then you can enjoy staying there again.

I have not stayed at the Malaysia but have several friends who like it over The Pinnacle. I have always found and had reported that the staff there are extremely polite and helpful.

January 25th, 2008, 23:30
On my last two travels to Thailand, I have not stayed in Malaysia Hotel, because I just wanted to try something else.
Saying that, Malaysia is extremely good value for the money. The staff have always been very friendly and helpful. Many years ago I had a problem with a "bf" I had know for several years. Especially one of the ladies in reception asked me how things were going and about my troubles, and told me she was sorry that the "relationship" should end the way it did. I think she was as surprised as me at the way my friend behaved. At that time I was a regular visitor to the hotel and so was the "bf" *S* To make a long story short, the "little ever-smiling arrogant bald-headed creep who has worked at reception for ever" borrowed my "bf" some money for a taxi so he could go back and find me in DJ. I payed it back off course, when we returned to the hotel. Nice? I think so.
I have been late checking in and have never been in need to give them my signature from my credit card.
If I have been late, I have just called them, and they would still keep the room for me.
Sure things change over time, but in fact, one bad occasion, would not keep me from staying there.
The only problem with Malaysia Hotel is not the hotel itself or the staff, but the way the guys I date today look at me, when I tell them where I stay *S*

January 26th, 2008, 10:07
[quote="aussieal"

Be good........what an ignorant fuckwit you are. You are a fukn cretin! I have NEVER had an accomodation problem in Thailand that was not resolved within minutes. As for you avoiding spending money in Thailand.....I'm sure they wont miss it. Please stay in your hole in Malaysia and enjoy!

Thank you for your kind words. Being in a very senior position in the hospitality industry I know about what I am writing.

You may be lucky or just not difficult as a guest. Of course we all enjoy the pleasant mess Thailand is, but from a strict service / (language) skill and value for money point of view, Thailand is no longer leading in the SE market and will lose market shares towards destinations nearby.

If you consider the visible lack of generosity in Thai hotels (except the luxury segment) and being suspected permanently as a thief by subaltern staff without any power of decision, then of course you have no problem!

P.S. Thailand might be the ideal destination for people using your vocabulary and qualifying themselves as the lowest class of "farang" possible. What about changing your screen name to "aussieredneck" ?[/quote]

My words were, indeed, too kind to you.
Having spent many loooong years in hospitality management myself, I a
can only surmise that indeed you would be a high maintenance guest at any hotel.
Having examined your previous posts also, I detect some dislike/derision of Thailand and it's people. I can only assume that you have not had your own way at all times in Thailand and have commenced a lifetime of sulking over the matter.
As for "the lowest class of "farang" possible" Maybe I am? But I'm confident I'll always be above a fuckwit like you.
Perhaps you could change your screen name to "bemoan" it sounds more appropriate to a snivelling guttersnipe such as yourself.