PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Visa

January 21st, 2008, 21:57
When applying for this visa and you need a police check, is that police check "local" or is it in your home country?

PeterUK
January 21st, 2008, 22:05
The police check is in your home country. If you apply for the retirement visa once you are in Thailand, there is no police check of any kind.

January 21st, 2008, 22:14
... from what experience ...

PeterUK
January 21st, 2008, 22:22
... from what experience ...

My own! When I was planning to move out to Thailand about 3 years ago, I applied for the police check while still in England but then came to Thailand before it arrived (it can take months). In Thailand I started the retirement visa process again and the police check was not needed.

January 21st, 2008, 22:38
they have tightened up a bit since 3 years ago though.

However, the check - is that the ┬г10 check that one applies for and it takes 40 days??

PeterUK
January 21st, 2008, 22:55
I don't recall the exact details about the police check, but why bother with it if you can get the visa in Thailand without it? The Thai immigration authorities are always changing requirements for retirement visas but a police check is not yet needed. I think some of the expats living here would be in trouble if it was. The only thing the immigration department is really interested in is your ability to support yourself financially while here.

January 21st, 2008, 22:58
Someone was speculating in another thread on WD's age, assuring readers he was only "in his twenties". I've always thought "in his forties". If he's thinking retirement visa he must be the latter ... and approaching fifty

January 22nd, 2008, 00:42
... keep guessing ...

however, you don't think I'm that stupid to emphasise on points that would indicate my age do you - my topics on here are from an "interest" for myself or other people irrespective of my age. If I indicate that I am talking about retirement visas, don't be fooled thinking the retirement visa is for myself.

Brad the Impala
January 22nd, 2008, 01:06
Someone was speculating in another thread on WD's age, assuring readers he was only "in his twenties". I've always thought "in his forties". If he's thinking retirement visa he must be the latter ... and approaching fifty

Either that or the avatar belongs to his dad!

January 22nd, 2008, 01:59
... however, you don't think I'm that stupid ...Shall I let you into a little secret?

TOQ
January 22nd, 2008, 06:32
I don't recall the exact details about the police check, but why bother with it if you can get the visa in Thailand without it? The Thai immigration authorities are always changing requirements for retirement visas but a police check is not yet needed. I think some of the expats living here would be in trouble if it was. The only thing the immigration department is really interested in is your ability to support yourself financially while here.

I renewed my visa in November and no report was required. I got my original visa only last year and one wasn't required then either. Both were obtained in Thailand.

January 22nd, 2008, 06:43
... however, you don't think I'm that stupid ...Shall I let you into a little secret?

Homiterm

You don't know any secrets!!!

January 22nd, 2008, 06:44
its nice beinig talked about

January 22nd, 2008, 07:00
You don't know any secrets!!!Damn. You mean everyone knows I think you're stupid already? :compress:

Smiles
January 22nd, 2008, 09:36
When applying for this visa and you need a police check, is that police check "local" or is it in your home country?
You ask a question, then when you get an answer from a board member who already has a Retirement Visa and you question ~ with no thanks ~ his information. Rudely.

Your question has been answered correctly: (1) If you apply for the Non Imm O-A (Retirement) Visa in your home country, then the Thai Immigration regulations state that you must enclose the original documentation of a Police record check. OR (2) If you apply for the Retirement Visa from within Thailand then you do not need the Police record check from your home country.

Did you bother to check out the Thai Immigration website, which gives you this same information?

Cheers ....

January 23rd, 2008, 02:05
You don't know any secrets!!!Damn. You mean everyone knows I think you're stupid already? :compress:

No, Homiterm, you're the only one who has said that!!! :blah5:

January 23rd, 2008, 02:59
You ask a question, then when you get an answer from a board member who already has a Retirement Visa and you question ~ with no thanks ~ his information. Rudely.

Your question has been answered correctly: (1) If you apply for the Non Imm O-A (Retirement) Visa in your home country, then the Thai Immigration regulations state that you must enclose the original documentation of a Police record check. OR (2) If you apply for the Retirement Visa from within Thailand then you do not need the Police record check from your home country.

Did you bother to check out the Thai Immigration website, which gives you this same information?

Cheers ....

Smiles:

I was going to reply with a "different" tone, but what is the point, you can't help it:

You know and I know that the rules changes very frequently with regard to immigration, what is posted on the Thai immigration site and what actually happen are two different things.

I questioned PeterUK because it was over 3 years ago when he applied for his. A lot water under the bridge ...

Finally, with regard to being "rude", errrrrrrrrr!

January 23rd, 2008, 03:02

I renewed my visa in November and no report was required. I got my original visa only last year and one wasn't required then either. Both were obtained in Thailand.

Excellent TOQ, this is the sort of information I need, I will inform my friend (that is for Homiterm's benefit) although PeterUK was very helpful.

Smiles
January 23rd, 2008, 09:01
" ... You know and I know that the rules changes very frequently with regard to immigration, what is posted on the Thai immigration site and what actually happen are two different things ... "
Wrong. The Thai immigration regulations regarding the 'basic' visa necessities for application change very infrequently.

The rules which do seem to vary are those which are regulated differently at various Thai Imm offices around the country vis-a-vis things like ~ for instance ~ the need for a photo copy of your ATM card and/or VISA card (seems they ask for this at Pattaya ~ or at least they did apparently a few months ago ~ but no need for that here at the Hua Hin Imm office). These are the petty rulings of individual Imm officers, seemingly with no reference ~ if not completely at odds ~ to the 'offical' written-down rules at Bangkok.

But these are rule changes which should not concern you, as you are talking about an original visa application. Those rules ~ available at any Thai Consulate website ~ have not changed in some time. And when they do change, the Thai Immigration website would always have "the latest".

(Homintern's opinion heartily seconded ... )

Cheers ...

Brad the Impala
January 23rd, 2008, 15:13
However there is a good chance that the rules may have changed, by the time that you reach the age criteria for this visa, still, it has brought you a little attention.

January 24th, 2008, 00:05
" ... You know and I know that the rules changes very frequently with regard to immigration, what is posted on the Thai immigration site and what actually happen are two different things ... "
Wrong. The Thai immigration regulations regarding the 'basic' visa necessities for application change very infrequently.

The rules which do seem to vary are those which are regulated differently at various Thai Imm offices around the country vis-a-vis things like ~ for instance ~ the need for a photo copy of your ATM card and/or VISA card (seems they ask for this at Pattaya ~ or at least they did apparently a few months ago ~ but no need for that here at the Hua Hin Imm office). These are the petty rulings of individual Imm officers, seemingly with no reference ~ if not completely at odds ~ to the 'offical' written-down rules at Bangkok.

But these are rule changes which should not concern you, as you are talking about an original visa application. Those rules ~ available at any Thai Consulate website ~ have not changed in some time. And when they do change, the Thai Immigration website would always have "the latest".

Smiles: You are talking a load of double dutch here, in

(Homintern's opinion heartily seconded ... )

Cheers ...

January 24th, 2008, 00:18

Cheers ....

Smiles: You are talking a load of double dutch here, in one line you say I'm wrong ..... in another line you say "they are regulated differently ....

This exactly my point, lots of misconstrued information, you know on various occasions I have had telephone conversations with people and I have asked a definitive question and been provided with the answer "Yes or no" depending on the question, followed by "I don't think so". I have had to ask that person to check for a definitive yes or no, and where they have obtained their information from. If someone asks me a question regarding a subject matter, I generally reply with the answer with backed-up information, not "er yes I think so".

There are various different scenarios of what has happened when obtaining visas (including retirement) in Thailand and the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing - that is why I am ask "one's experience", that is the only way really to get the true picture. The websites say one thing and someone else says something else.

January 24th, 2008, 07:04
... that is why I am ask "one's experience", that is the only way really to get the true picture. The websites say one thing and someone else says something else.So asking actually tells you nothing. The law is applied randomly; one immigration official does one thing, another something different. "One's experience" only tells you what a particular official did in one case - the person who tells you their experience. We know in your spare time (from being a high-flying forex trader in the City), you clerk for some solicitors - get it into your thick head that Thailand is not England, and the rule of law (including the certainty of its application) simply does not happen here

January 25th, 2008, 01:27
[quote="WhiteDesire get it into your thick head that Thailand is not England, and the rule of law (including the certainty of its application) simply does not happen here

Homiterm

Are you for REAL, isn't that what I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG, in short, varying working practices whether from a person or different offices. Working in the City is why "I know it all" Hom - have you an inferiority complex or something, because YOU'RE a "clerk" or retired "clerk" from some damp trodden firm - well that's your problem mate, can't help with that one, but don't take it out of the rest of us.

January 25th, 2008, 06:40
If you are applying for a Thai visa from your home country and a police check is required just go down to your local police department and tell them you need a "police check" or "arrest record". They do these routinely for job applicants in the respective towns. It takes a day, they usually mail them but you could probably pick it up the next day.

January 25th, 2008, 09:21
Are you for REAL, isn't that what I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG, in short, varying working practices whether from a person or different offices. Yes, and my point is - why are you asking? Are you building an anthology of different experiences so people can compare theirs to other people's? What is the purpose of this thread????? You ask questions then, as Smiles says, you abuse those who answer you. I know it's winter in the UK, but do try to lighten up dear boy

January 25th, 2008, 20:08
Are you for REAL, isn't that what I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG, in short, varying working practices whether from a person or different offices. Yes, and my point is - why are you asking? Are you building an anthology of different experiences so people can compare theirs to other people's? What is the purpose of this thread????? You ask questions then, as Smiles says, you abuse those who answer you. I know it's winter in the UK, but do try to lighten up dear boy

I will keep this short Homiterm: "GET A LIFE"

January 26th, 2008, 11:56
Homy is a very self important person, can't you tell from his posts?