PDA

View Full Version : new hotel in Silom area

thrillbill
January 20th, 2008, 19:59
A few weeks ago someone was asking about the new budget hotel called the "Take a Nap"...it is next to the BB place on Soi Rama 4, across from the Snake Farm. For those who use soi Twilight as their stomping grounds, then it is a few steps away around the corner.

For those who are looking for a budget hotel, then its...ok. It has more of a dorm feeling to it with the cheap vinyl flooring, no wardrobe to hang ones clothes (oh, you are given two hangers), and lack of decor. But since it is new, it is clean and functional. (with some of the poor workmanship, the place will quickly start showing its wear and tear...such as the *hitty paint job (chalk white which soaks up all the finger prints and grime).

The beds are comfortable, there is a TV in the room, BUT no refrigerator to put your goodies in. The tiled showers are spacious and there is hot water. Breakfast is included (but I never got up early enough to try it).

The staff is super friendly and speak English. Yes, there is internet there. Each room has some "theme" -- which means the one wall is papered with some scene- jungle, tuk-tuks on the street, cartoon animals... (the do have a web sight)

For a double, it was 1300 baht. For a single it was 1000. (no, I don't know about bringing guests, I had my BF with me)

If you stay there, MAKE SURE YOUR ROOM IS NOT FACING THE OVER PASS HIGHWAY. Our room was noisey with the traffic buzzing outside the window.

Since my night roosting places are at soi 4 and soi 2 along Silom, I probably won't stay there again because I didn't like crossing Surawang Street ( I do enough of that in Pattaya).

So right now, it a brand new place at a good price if you are looking for a budget place to stay at.

Sen Yai
January 20th, 2008, 20:33
As predicted by wowpow in another thread ( www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/take-a-chap-boy-bar-t13435.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/take-a-chap-boy-bar-t13435.html) ) this seems to be the start of someting.....

Take a Seat - Thai restaurant on Naratiwas Road

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Takeaseat-1.jpg

Bob
January 20th, 2008, 20:50
Lol. Will a "hong nam" be renamed "Take a Shit?"

Alaan
January 21st, 2008, 07:29
.............thanks for the detailed review.. I was interested to find out someones experience of actually staying there... I was very tempted to give it a try on my coming visit mid-feb, as the website did make it look quite interesting.... and I do like to experience different places to stay, but then I just thought back to the last time I had to change from my usual hotel in Bangkok,the Tarntawan, as I needed a room at short notice and the Tarntawan was fully booked.

On that occasion I stayed at Om Yim.. and for the location the price was excellent at about only Bt800 per night, it was only a few months old at that time, but even as new as it was, in my opinion the poor quality materials were already looking shabby... small things like the toilet roll holder broken... some of the wood finishes were split and had splinters, the cheap varnish/staining was already peeling, the washhand basin badly sealed and so the woodwork round it had expanded with water...etc.. only small things I admit.... [and after a couple of years of no attention to detail in the rooms I don't think it would be a very enjoyable experience to stay there]... but if you are not too bothered and are looking for a budget place it would be ok.

But I considered the things that help make my holiday enjoyable... and as I stay in Bangkok every trip for only 4 days at the end of my trip, winding down before going home, like Thrillbill, Suriwong/silom is where i prefer to stay for a short visit as the vibrant nightlife is ideal for a final fling and numerous gay venues are right on the doorstep.

So for me, it is worth the extra to stay at the Tarntawan as it is very welcoming, the staff are great, the Suriwong facing rooms are very nice,plenty of wardrobe space, dvd player etc.

Also........in the past when i have gone to DJ station and come back late with a friend you can have a bit of fun, then order breakfast at 5am if you wish[breakfasts are available 24hrs] have a long sleep...and you are under no pressure to get out for the room to be cleaned by a certain time.... and just for a change a lazy day with a friend is great... a long lie-in together watching dvds if you want or another shower and another round of fun in the bed... get up late 6-7pm call down for fresh towels....then out again for more fun.. and on the way out ask for the room to be made up... and you come back to a tidy, made up room. We also normally have a car........which can be parked at the Tarntawan, but staying anywhere else it is a nightmare to find parking as well as the risk of petty theft...

I was going to stop in by Take-a-Nap on this visit just to see how it looked.. incase I wanted to try it on a future visit ...... but taking Thrillbill's review of Take-a-Nap and my experience of Om Yim into consideration , I think I'll just stay with the Tarntawan for all my future Bangkok visits.