PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a stupid question

Irish1972
January 20th, 2008, 05:20
I was thinking of making a visit in May/June this year. I normally visit in September and December and I was wondering what is the weather/crowd/atmosphere like in May/June.

Thanks in advance

K

Sen Yai
January 20th, 2008, 05:40
May/June is a great time to visit Thailand. Just after Songkran, so the highest temperatures have passed but the rainy season might not have really started. Tourist locations in Bangkok will be a little quieter than in peak season, but as with any major Capital city it will still be buzzing. The bars and massage parlors (if that's your interest) will still be reasonably busy with locals and regional visitors especially during holidays such as 1st May (Labour day).

May is also a good time to visit Phuket. The peak season crowds will have passed, but the weather is still good and the sea not too rough until late June or July. It's a good time to visit Samui, as the monsoon doesn't come in the gulf until later in the year - maybe October.

Chiang Mai is great at any time of year, but will still be quite hot in May and June.

I you're visiting friends in Isaan or other provinces it might be peak rice or corn planting season, so you might be expected to help out!

Not a silly question at all really.....

January 20th, 2008, 16:25
I usually visit in June and have had good weather although it can be a bit hot for my liking. Be prepared for thunder storms in the afternoon but I've not experienced the more continuous rains that get underway a little later in the year.

Chiang Mai is a little cooler than the South and I've enjoyed being up in the Northern border area in June.

I'm not keen on Bangkok in June as it tends to be too hot and humid for me.

January 20th, 2008, 16:52
May is a super time. Ditto on the thunderstorms, but most happen late afternoon and clear by night. An occasional rainy day is a good excuse to skip the beach and go to a movie, the pool hall or bowling with your friends.

It is low season so rates are reduced. Due to the reduced number of tourists, it is a buyer's market.