PDA

View Full Version : Al Qaeda and Muslim separatists

ikarus
January 18th, 2008, 19:06
Find below very important admission from Thai government. For many years I stated on this and other message boards that Al Qaeda plays important role in terrorist activities in the deep South of Thailand. While I never had in my disposal any kind of classified information, there was enough evidence in open literature that wahabi arabs fund religious schools and Universities in Thai deep South. Many of these centers eventually were transformed in terrorist training camps (you may recall that at least on one occasion terrorists were traced to a muslim religious school which subsequently was raided by Thai Army and the licence was revoked from the school). It is important that admission below comes from the current
government (If it were from Thakisin's, it could have been easily dismissed as a propaganda). Many posters on this message board (including some I deeply respect, e.g. Brad Impala) were very reluctant to admit Al Qaeda influence and one can argue that it is still not a fact but just government statement. Nevertheless, it is an important step on the part of Thai government which eventually may be crucial in fighting the terrorism in the area.
The weak spot of Al Qaeda is that they essentially operate the same way throughout the world. The recent American success in Iraq shows that Al Qaeda is not invinsible and can be efficiently dealt with (American success in Iraq is based on new tactics of cooperation with reasonable Sunny elements ).

Thailand claims Al Qaeda funding Muslim separatists
Posted: 18 January 2008 1613 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Thai soldiers stand guard at a Muslim school in Yala province

BANGKOK: Thailand's army-installed government Friday for the first time claimed that international terror network Al Qaeda is funding Islamic separatists in the country's southernmost provinces.

"The situation has intensified recently because they received money from overseas, from the international terror organisation Al Qaeda," government spokesman Chaiya Yimvilai told reporters.

"There are also local drug traffickers involved in both financial support and buying arms for militants," he said.

The remarks were a sharp reversal of Thailand's long-held stance that the four-year conflict along the southern border with Malaysia is an entirely domestic problem with no formal links to global Islamic extremists.

He spoke at the end of a week of grisly attacks in the Muslim-majority provinces, where more than 2,800 people have died since the rebellion began in January 2004.

Separatist rebels killed eight Thai soldiers in Narathiwat on Monday and tried to decapitate them, while at least 37 people were injured Tuesday when a bomb exploded at a morning market in Yala.

Killings have grown more frequent and more brutal since the military seized power in a bloodless coup in September 2006, despite a raft of peace efforts by the current government.

Chaiya said the militants have stepped up their attacks in a show of force, and to exploit security gaps resulting from a recent troop rotation.

"Violence will continue because there are many factors, including corrupt local officials in uniform, with both local and national politicians involved," he said.

- AFP/vm

Bob
January 19th, 2008, 04:15
It is important that admission below comes from the current government (If it were from Thakisin's, it could have been easily dismissed as a propaganda).

I'd suggest you not place too much faith in what you read in the Thai newspapers. Additionally, suggesting that information from the current government might be more accurate than information from the Shinawatra government is rather laughable. Can you name even one thing the current/interim government has done that was either helpful to anybody or credible?

ikarus
January 19th, 2008, 07:15
Bob,
I am not saying that current government is more credible than Thasin one. In fact, my opinion is that the opposite is true.
Thaksin was critisized for his actions in the South (in my opinion unfairly) and therefore it was quite easy to dismiss whatever he or his government said about the situation in the South. It is also true that the current government did not give
any proofs for this statement. What is important is the change of their attitude. For me it was quite obvious from the onset of current events in 2004 that Al Qaeda is involved. I posted for years a lot of indirect evidence of this.

January 19th, 2008, 07:48
Last week it was Paedophiles, this week it is muslim terrorists... I am sure this place is funded by Max Clifford http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/thedonian/emoticons/ponder.gif

In all seriousness guys, it is actions like this that undermines most of the bullshit that Al Qaeda come out with. They constantly spout off about American/Western involvement in the middle east being their motivation for attack, but when they are backing Muslim separatist groups in countries that have no dealings in the Middle East conflicts, they are showing themselves up to be what they really are. Lunatics obsessed with creating a World Muslim super state.

It's a shame as the majority of Muslims want nothing to do with these nut-cases.
What business do Al Qaeda have in Thailand except to feed their own mad objectives?

Hmmm
January 19th, 2008, 07:59
The only thing one can conclude with certainty about a statement such as this is that it was said (assuming that it was not misquoted).

Governments will say whatever suits their political purposes, regardless of whether or not it is true. Remember WMDs in Iraq ? Add to this that any information on international money flows probably came from a government other than Thailand (guess who ?), and almost anything is possible.

Of course in Thailand politicians have been known to say whatever popped into their head when someone put a microphone in front of them, whether or not it was politically wise. My all time favourite from the current junta was the statement that the new year's bombs in Bangkok couldn't have been set by southern militants, because they wouldn't have known their way around Bangkok and would have got lost.

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 19th, 2008, 11:04
Al Qaeda has surely become an umbrella name to cover a disparate variety of groups who range from "freedom fighters to "terrorists" depending on where your support lies.

You have to hand to Usama ( who has surely been pushing up daisies for the past few years)- he's created the ultimate bogeyman for the frightened west.

ikarus
January 19th, 2008, 11:31
My all time favourite from the current junta was the statement that the new year's bombs in Bangkok couldn't have been set by southern militants, because they wouldn't have known their way around Bangkok and would have got lost.
This is my favorite too. And it came directly from general Sonthi. That simply emphasize the quite drastic change of the attitude of the current government towards the situation in the South. You apparently do not believe in Al Qaeda involvement in the South and I cannot prove that you are wrong but thre is enough indirect evidence that Al Qaeda is funding terrorist activities in the South.

Hmmm
January 19th, 2008, 12:21
My all time favourite from the current junta was the statement that the new year's bombs in Bangkok couldn't have been set by southern militants, because they wouldn't have known their way around Bangkok and would have got lost.
This is my favorite too. And it came directly from general Sonthi. That simply emphasize the quite drastic change of the attitude of the current government towards the situation in the South.

Or that Chaiya just pulled the notion of Al Qaeda involvement out of his arse when asked. Or that's what the CIA station chief in BKK told him in the dark room at Babylon last week. Or any one of a dozen others possibilities that indicate anything except whether it's true or not.

There are plenty of political reasons why they might say this. Thaksin refused to admit that it was anything but a domestic problem - that is, "Thais can handle it". That was his approach on many issues that were actually international in scope.

The new stance - if that's what it is - may reflect a willingness, or admission, on the part of the junta that they need international help to solve what might not be just a domestic problem after all. Let's see what flows from this announcement.

But it still says nothing about whether the statement is true or not.

You apparently do not believe in Al Qaeda involvement in the South and I cannot prove that you are wrong but thre is enough indirect evidence that Al Qaeda is funding terrorist activities in the South.

I actually have no opinion one way or the other. Is it possible ? Yes. Is is likely ? Maybe. Is is true ? We don't know (and perhaps the junta doesn't either).

January 19th, 2008, 12:32
They're Moslems - what else needs to be said?

Smiles
January 19th, 2008, 13:21
" ... The only thing one can conclude with certainty about a statement such as this is that it was said . . . My all time favourite from the current junta was the statement that the new year's bombs in Bangkok couldn't have been set by southern militants, because they wouldn't have known their way around Bangkok and would have got lost ... "
Speaking of favourite Thai (i.e. 'amazing') stories along these lines: Read in the Phuket Gazette a few years ago about a corpse having been found deep in the jungle up in the hills of Phuket island, far away from tourist areas.

The police were called and did their investigations in their own manner. After the search for any evidence at the crime scene, and after the body had been carted away, the Pol Capt Gen Lt. of the island police force spoke to the newspapers.
He said (gravely) that the body was apparently that of a fisherman, and that although there was no identification on the body, he stated that it looks as if the dead guy was Burmese, as he was not wearing any underwear.
A Thai man would of course never dream of leaving the house without underpants. (Say no more).

Cheers ....

Hmmm
January 19th, 2008, 13:59
He said (gravely) that the body was apparently that of a fisherman, and that although there was no identification on the body, he stated that it looks as if the dead guy was Burmese, as he was not wearing any underwear.
A Thai man would of course never dream of leaving the house without underpants. (Say no more).

Thanks for reminding us again of that little gem of Thai forensic logic Smiles ... which I think you have reminded us of on at least several, but just the right number of occasions since the initial report. :colors:

On a related note, I hope you're enjoying more continuous involvement in keeping Suphot in, and out of, coloured underpants since retiring to Hua Hin. Don't ask me how I know that he wears coloured underpants. :cheers:

January 19th, 2008, 16:22
The recent American success in Iraq shows that Al Qaeda is not invincible and can be efficiently dealt with

American success, what American success you lunatic. WTF are you talking about? They have still got thousands of troops over there fighting. Furthermore, if they have had any success that I am unaware of, it certainly wasn't by showing Al Qaeda was not invincible in Iraq, because there wasn't any presence or activity by them there.

If there are/were any Al Qaeda in Iraq, somebody must still be looking for them, and if that's the case, they have as much chance of finding them as they had of finding any WOMD. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/rolleyes.gif

G.

January 19th, 2008, 16:43
The recent American success in Iraq shows that Al Qaeda is not invincible and can be efficiently dealt with

American success, what American success you lunatic. WTF are you talking about? They have still got thousands of troops over there fighting. Furthermore, if they have had any success that I am unaware of, it certainly wasn't by showing Al Qaeda was not invincible in Iraq, because there wasn't any presence or activity by them there.

If there are/were any Al Qaeda in Iraq, somebody must still be looking for them, and if that's the case, they have as much chance of finding them as they had of finding any WOMD. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/rolleyes.gif

G.

January 19th, 2008, 23:04
The recent American success in Iraq shows that Al Qaeda is not invinsible and can be efficiently dealt with (American success in Iraq is based on new tactics of cooperation with reasonable Sunny elements )You mean the success of moving them from one part of the country to another, and encouraging thousands of recruits to flock to the banner of Al Qaeda in other countries?

Hmmm
January 20th, 2008, 12:57
Looks like Al Qaeda were in Thailand after all ... being tortured in the secret CIA prison ...

"Washington Post reported today that the CIA station chief in Bangkok sent a classified cable in late 2005, asking permission to destroy the videotapes " recorded at a secret CIA prison in Thailand that in part portrayed intelligence officers using simulated drowning to extract information from suspected al-Qaeda members."
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/ ... d=30062527 (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/page.news.php?clid=2&id=30062527)

ikarus
January 20th, 2008, 22:11

G.
Speaking about lunatics, George, you are perfectly match their definition judging from your post in which you deny the presense of Al Qaeda in Iraq. Homi definitely does not go as far as that. Another post like that, George, and you are on my ignore list where I put absolute idiots. I am not going to discuss Iraq here but American success is absolutely undeniable (in fighting Al Qaeda).
Instead, I suggest for everybody who really wants to understand what is going on in deep South of Thailand a short article in Wikipedia (see below) about fourth predominantly muslim province in Thailand called Satun. You will never hear about this province in reports about violence in deep South. It should give a pause to those who perceive the conflict in deep South as a conflict between muslims and buddists and about oppression of muslims in Thailand (the favorite topic of idiots like Hedda who has no clue about the subject). It is quite obvious that insurgency in deep South of Thailand is cultivated and financially supported from the outside of the country and I am sure that Al Qaeda is a part of it though to the best of my knowledge there is no formal proof of it that could be derived from open sources.
Satun Province
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Satun
สตูล Statistics
Capital: Satun
Area: 2,479.0 km┬▓
Ranked 63rd
Inhabitants: 247,875 (2000)
Ranked 69th
Pop. density: 100 inh./km┬▓
Ranked 45th
ISO 3166-2: TH-91
Governor: Khwanchai Wongnitikon
(since November 2006)
Map

Satun (Thai สตูล) is one of the southern provinces (changwat) of Thailand. Neighboring provinces are (from north clockwise) Trang, Phatthalung and Songkhla. To the south it borders Perlis of Malaysia.

The name Satun is a Thai corruption of its original Malay name, Setul (mangosteen tree).

Contents [hide]
1 Geography
2 History
3 Demographics
4 Symbols
5 Administrative divisions
6 References
7 External links

[edit] Geography
The province is located on the Malay Peninsula, on the shore of the Andaman Sea. It is separated from Songkhla Province by the Nakhon Si Thammarat mountain range, and from Malaysia by the Sankalakhiri mountains.

The Ko Tarutao and Ko Phetra marine national parks are part of the province. Close to the border with Malaysia is the Thale Ban National Park, a big freshwater swamp area.

[edit] History
Until 1813 Satun was a district of the Malay state of Kedah, then known as Mukim Setul in Malay. After that it was administrated by a governor sent from Nakhon Si Thammarat. In 1897, Satun became part of Monthon Triburi (Kedah), which in 1909 was divided between British Empire and Siam as part of Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909. While most of Kedah became part of the British Empire, Satun was awarded to Siam because the population was largely Siamese. It was then included into Monthon Phuket. In 1933 the monthon system was ended and Satun province became a first-level subdivision of Thailand.

Kuden Mansion or Satun National Museum
[edit] Demographics
Satun is one of the four provinces of Thailand which have a Muslim majority: 67.8% are Muslim and 31.9% are Buddhists. Most of the Muslims have some ethnic-Malay ancestry, though only 9.9% of the population claims to be ethnically Malay.

Because Satun belonged to the Kedah Sultanate, which had a strong relationship with Ayutthaya, as well as with Siam of the Chakri dynasty, its population of Malay Muslims commonly intermarries with Thai Buddhists without serious religious hesitation. This custom created a distinct social group known as Samsam, meaning mixed person. Most Samsams, if not all, are Muslims.[1]

Malay Muslims in Satun are substantially assimilated and rarely sympathise with separatism from Thailand, in contrast to the Malay Muslims in Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala.

Bunga Kuda - Malay traditional desert of Satun and Perlis State, Malaysia
[edit] Symbols

January 20th, 2008, 22:16
I am not going to discuss Iraq here but American success is absolutely undeniable (in fighting Al Qaeda). You mean the Al Qaeda that everyone except Bush's neo-cons freely admit wasn't in Iraq at all prior to the downfall of Saddam Hussein (brought about by the same Bush's neo-cons)?