PDA

View Full Version : A Night Mare Just about to Happen....For Some?

January 17th, 2008, 13:23
I hate to gloat but I told you so тАШcomes to mindтАЩ, I can tell you all those who donтАЩt all ready know, Something I have been saying all the way along that VT7 in front of the Twin Towers Jomtien Complex Condotel apartments on Jomtien beach, has been now given the Green light to build more the 24 floors, its full size, so blocking out their sea views or any view, the Court action from STOPVL7 Action group has failed and I can also tell you from 2 conversations, I have had at various official functions, The real MR Big, View Talay Him self {I wont mention his name,} told me personally, did I really think he was going to loose, with so much at stake, he will do what ever he has to do, to make it happen, as he always does in Pattaya, If you knew who IтАЩm talking about your know he runs Pattaya like his own private town.

This is what all the fuss is about:- Now it is going to happen I only hope Mr. View Talay is kind enough to let all the members of StopVT7 action group keep there Apartments in the twin towers, when he sues them for his losses, said to be more then 4 million Baht each, since they were forced to lay down their Tools because of the Action.

DonтАЩt get me wrong of course it is a travesty, and a Night Mare just waiting to happen....to build in front of some ones apartment block to cut out the light and all views, and it happens all over the world, but the amazing thing is, The Jomtien Complex use to own the land, then sold it how stupid is that.

Condo owners sue for sea view
PATTAYA: -- A group of Jomtien apartment owners has asked the Administrative Court in Rayong to halt the construction of a new residential building that will block their sea views.
Ten foreign Jomtien Complex Condotel apartment owners are fighting to preserve their uninterrupted beach views following Pattaya City Council building permission for a new apartment building directly in front of them.

The complaint asserts Pattaya City wrongly granted construction permission to View Talay Jomtien Condominium.

It adds the permission did not meet 1978 planning regulations and alleges it will deprive them of their present unobstructed views of Jomtien Beach.
Jomtien Complex Condotel resident of two years Richard Haines, 62, retired, is one of the plaintiffs. The United States expatriate claims the development of View Talay 7 is in breach of planning law.

The building is on the beachfront and will obstruct views, he argued. "I purchased my condo in October 2005 when I decided to make Thailand my retirement home.
"But the new View Talay 7 building will block me from ever seeing another sunset from my condo," he said.

Haines alleged View Talay 7 was illegal because it was 14 metres in height and within 200 metres of the sea. Buildings of this height are prohibited within 200 metres of the shore by planning law, he said.

Pattaya Mayor Niran Wattana-sartsathorn said the city correctly issued building permission.
"I'm not worried that some foreigners are suing the city in the Administrative Court because we are just an agent to mediate this problem.

"If the foreigners succeed it will be a precedent for others and maybe developers will think before getting into problems like this," Niran added.
The court will hold a preliminary hearing tomorrow.

--The nation 2007-03-27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smiles
January 17th, 2008, 14:09
You've quoted the original action (from The Nation) above, then why not quote the final decision which would, I would think, verify your post above and provide a proper denouement to the Nation story. The loop would be closed.

But no, you prefer to make the story 'all about you' and your self-described predictive powers. Typical.

I'm not intimating you are blowing out your ass (again) on this one, only that for your story to be a 'finalement' without question, you should provide the quote from the actual court decision. Can you provide it?
I mean ... your overall credibility is pretty well garbage on all the Boards. Why not try and change that?

Cheers ...

Brad the Impala
January 17th, 2008, 15:24
Up2u also reported this decision, appropriately on a thread that already existed "View Talay 7". He posted it a day earlier. Pehaps reading before posting would prevent this sort of duplication, or is it reading then rehashing for vanity publishing reasons.

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 17th, 2008, 16:52
...garbage on all the Boards"

people have credibility on these boards ?? :dontknow:

wonders will never cease.

dab69
January 18th, 2008, 05:48
won't he just go broke and not be able to sell these condos anyway?
maybe he will run out of money and construction will stop after say 8 floors
and become abandoned/desolate.

Marsilius
January 18th, 2008, 12:28
All those empty and derelict properties - many unoccupied ever since being built - that one sees in Thailand are, in practice, virtually never causing their owners a real loss. In many cases, they are simply a means of money laundering.

A friend of mine who is in international banking and who is an expert on the subject explained it to me thus...

Someone makes masses of money - in cash - from some form of illegal activity such as drugs dealing. But worldwide banking regulations - applicable even in Thailand - make it impossible for him to put that much unexplained cash into a bank account without an automatic investigation taking place into the source of the money.

So instead he uses the money to buy ANYTHING legitimate. Buying or building property is the most obvious solution (it's a simple, single high-value transaction, rather than having lots of smaller ones).

He then sits on that property, often for years, often allowing it to remain unoccupied (no annoying complications with tenants to raise questions): (a) he doesn't need to sell it as he's still got lots of drugs cash coming in and he can live off that, (b) over the long term, property prices almost invariably rise, so it's a good investment anyway.

Ultimately, however, he wil sell the property. Now, here's the clever part. Let's say he paid 100 million baht for a property. Nevertheless, he will be absolutely delighted to sell it for, say, 40 million baht because (a) he will have absolutely no trouble finding a buyer at the knockdown price, (b) much more importantly, the 40 million baht has all been legitimately acquired and so can be deposited in a bank account because it is now "clean" money (hence the term "laundering") that will survive the consequent investigation of its origins! So although our money launderer is "losing" 60 millions on the deal, it is 60 millions of "unusuable" money and he is actually gaining 40 million baht of "legitimate" money, based on a business which probably costs him a tiny fraction of that to operate in the first place.

In such circumstances, then, many of the owners of those "derelict" properties - which you would expect to be a pretty depressing prospect - will still, in reality, be pretty contented guys!

January 21st, 2008, 03:05
So instead he uses the money to buy ANYTHING legitimate. Buying or building property is the most obvious solution (it's a simple, single high-value transaction, rather than having lots of smaller ones).

In your dream!!!
You should go around and ask any property developer or land owner if they will accept all cash in carton boxes.
some crazy friends you have.
And if the criminal investigator really wants to track down the money, the money laundering guy should be prepared to answer where he got the huge amount of cash to buy property.

Marsilius
January 21st, 2008, 15:00
There is no "criminal investigator [who] really wants to track down the money" at the bank end of the chain. Bank officials are only required in law to certify themselves as to the the bona fides of the single person making the immediate deposit into the bank account, i.e. the person who has sold, say, a house to a money launderer and is now depositing the proceeds. That was clearly, in itself, a legitimate transaction (a house was sold and so the money was received). No bank investigation is expected to go back further than that one transaction that led to the deposit into its vaults (otherwise where would it end? The banks would go bankrupt if they had to carry the costs of tracing money back ad infinitum.)

Any "criminal investigator", i.e. a policeman, is working, on the other hand, from the starting point of the crime itself - i.e. the drug dealing or whatever - and will be trying to track down the money from that end of the chain.

You would be surprised, too, (a) how compact cash can be [5,000,000 baht, for instance, is only 5,000 small pieces of paper, i.e. just 50 bundles each of 100 thousand-baht notes], (b) how many people - especially in an economically-unsophisticated country and especially among the criminal classes - prefer keeping very large amounts of cash in easily and immediately accessible forms.

January 26th, 2008, 09:47

In your dream!!!
You should go around and ask any property developer or land owner if they will accept all cash in carton boxes.
some crazy friends you have.
And if the criminal investigator really wants to track down the money, the money laundering guy should be prepared to answer where he got the huge amount of cash to buy property.

There have been many cases of developers accepting their quarterly payments for a house from 'suitcase men,' and local banks still seem to find a way to accommodate this. And ALL builders, tradesmen, and the shops where one purchases anything that goes into a house PREFER cash. Workers are not able to accept any other form of payment. It's nobody's dream in Thailand -- actually it's a real pain in the arse trying to get receipts!

paulg
January 26th, 2008, 10:06
You would be surprised, too, (a) how compact cash can be [5,000,000 baht, for instance, is only 5,000 small pieces of paper, i.e. just 50 bundles each of 100 thousand-baht notes], .

I have never seen a thai bank note higher than 1000 baht. Not likely to see a 100,000 either

What notes are on issue higher than 1000 baht?

January 26th, 2008, 11:38
You would be surprised, too, (a) how compact cash can be [5,000,000 baht, for instance, is only 5,000 small pieces of paper, i.e. just 50 bundles each of 100 thousand-baht notes], .

I have never seen a thai bank note higher than 1000 baht.

Me neither paulg. I initially thought that Marsilius had made a typo until I reread his post and realised that he hadn't. I have never heard of such a note in Thailand as a 100,000 Baht one, nor have I seen any evidence that it exists. Perhaps Marsilius could enlighten us on this as he seems to believe that such a note does exist.

G.

Marsilius
January 26th, 2008, 11:51
What I wrote was:

5,000,000 baht, for instance, is only 5,000 small pieces of paper, i.e. just 50 bundles each of 100 thousand-baht notes

That is correct!

Perhaps it is clearer if I put it all into words: Five million baht, for instance, is only five thousand small pieces of paper [i.e. it is five thousand "one-thousand-baht" notes], i.e. just fifty bundles each containing a hundred "one-thousand-baht" notes.

January 26th, 2008, 14:02
What I wrote was:

5,000,000 baht, for instance, is only 5,000 small pieces of paper, i.e. just 50 bundles each of 100 thousand-baht notes That is correct!

No it is not Marsilius and far from it. However, your explanation that what you meant to say, was 50 bundles of 100,000 one thousand Baht notes as opposed to 50 bundles of 100,000 Baht notes has clarified the matter and proved as I had believed, that there is no Thai note above the denomination of 1000 Baht. I thank you for that.

On reading back what I have just written, I am not so sure as to whether or not I am even more confused now than I was initially. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

Choc Dee,

G.

January 26th, 2008, 17:04
George,

I hate to disagree, but in fact Marsilius is right and you are confused! It is actually easier easier to follow all in figures:

He refers to "five thousand "one thousand baht notes"", or 5,000 x 1,000 (= 5,000,000) and to "fifty bundles each contaning a hundred "one-thousand-baht" notes", or 50 x 100 x 1,000 (= 5,000,000).

You refer to "50 bundles of 100,000 one thousand baht notes", or 50 x 100,000 x 1,000 (= 5,000,000,000) !!!!!!

If you are giving the change when I pay my bill, I will be going to your bar sooner than planned after all!

On a separate note, Marsilius is also quite right about cash being preferred. When I have bought / sold houses or land here I have always paid / been paid in cash, if necessary walking from one bank to another, or driving to the land office, with a bagful of several million baht. Most recently when I made a regular transfer of funds here I had to transfer half to Kasikorn and half to TMB, to keep under the $20,000 limit; when I then wanted to move the funds from TMB to Kasikorn (as quickly as possible!) the bank cashier agreed that she could transfer the money for me but said that walking down the road with cash would be "easier"!

January 26th, 2008, 17:29
George,

I hate to disagree, but in fact Marsilius is right and you are confused!

You will get no argument from me whatsoever on that score tonight and I will accept defeat graciously. :geek:

By the way, I have nothing to do with giving change in my bar, but if you do visit and it is me that gives you your change, be careful I don't give it to you in 100,000 Baht notes. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

Choc Dee GF,

George.

Marsilius
January 26th, 2008, 18:48
Thank you, gentlemen!

I rest my case.

Marsilius
January 30th, 2008, 14:52
"There have been many cases of developers accepting their quarterly payments for a house from 'suitcase men,' and local banks still seem to find a way to accommodate this. And ALL builders, tradesmen, and the shops where one purchases anything that goes into a house PREFER cash. Workers are not able to accept any other form of payment. It's nobody's dream in Thailand -- actually it's a real pain in the arse trying to get receipts!" - from mumbaiqhost (on previous page).

There is an interesting piece in The Times of 30 Jan. on how criminals will be trying to launder ┬г32 million still missing after a robbery in the UK. It - pretty conclusively, I'd say - contradicts Scott123's assertion (on previous page) that "You should go around and ask any property developer or land owner if they will accept all cash in carton boxes. some crazy friends you have."

I quote from the newspaper... " [in Northern Cyprus there are] estate agencies offering newly built villas on the hills overlooking the Mediterranean. Much of the... [robbery] money smuggled here is believed to have been laundered through this booming property market. "Cash talks," said one estate agent... "What builder would turn down cash in favour of a cheque? It's the best way of doing business and building villa complexes." "

Sounds pretty much like Jomtien/Pattaya to me!