PDA

View Full Version : Magg's. A good place to eat at very reasonable prices

January 17th, 2008, 05:20
Noom and I had a chance to visit Magg"s Wine Bar and Restaurant for dinner last night, a place not only where we both very much enjoy eating at, but a place where it has also been too long, since we last enjoyed a meal together. I have not mentioned Magg's on the forum before and decided for a number of reasons, it was about time that I put that right and did give it a mention.

I have no qualms whatsoever in admitting that the owners of Magg's, John and Val, although good friends of mine, has no bearing whatsoever on my recommendation of their restaurant, as being one that is a very good place to eat. It is a place where you will find not only some outstanding home made English main courses as well as deserts being served, but also some very good Thai ones as well.

Whilst visiting them last night, I was interested to notice, that instead of the usual special of the day, Magg's was offering a selection of specials, which I am informed by Val, will now be on offer daily. Here is an example of those specials and what was on offer last night.

Starters:

Pumpkin Soup or Pate and Toast or Greek Salad.

Main Courses:

Pork Picatta. Loin of Pork with a Spicy Sweet sauce, Served with Potatoes and Vegatables.

Or

B-B-Q Chicken Breast Butterfly with Delicate Spices served with Saute Potatoes and Vegetables

Or

Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding served with Roast Potatoes and Vegetables

Deserts

Rhubarb Crumble served with Ice Cream or Custard or Raspberry Pavlova.

The prices for these specials were 280 Baht for two courses, or 350 Baht for all three courses.

In addition to these specials, both the European and Thai Ala Ca rte menus are also available. I must warn you all, that Magg's is also a restaurant which has built up a very large gay base among it's regular clientele. However, I sincerely hope that despite this fact, it will not prevent you from going there and giving it a try, if of course you haven't already done
so. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

For those unaware of Magg's location, coming from the beach at Jomtien, you turn right into Thepprasit Road from Thappraya Road and it is about a couple of hundred meters up, on the left hand side. As a landmark and a sign that you haven't gone past it, there is a 7-11 store which is located a few meters further up, on the opposite side of the road.

Magg's is open Monday to Saturday and their opening times, are from 8 am until 2 pm and 6 pm until 10 pm every day except Sunday, on which it is closed all day.

I promise that for those of you that have not eaten there previously, if you give it a try, you will not be disappointed. However, as Magg's reputation since it was opened two years ago has grown and grown and, is no longer the well kept secret it once was among some of us, I recommend if you do decide to give it a try, that you make a reservation. I say this owing to the fact, that you can no longer guarantee a table will be available at the time that you may require it. You can do this by Telephoning: 038 251 236

Choc Dee,

George.

January 17th, 2008, 05:29
I'm a fan! :compress:

I had the chance to eat out there on a few occasions during my trip to LoS last year. I have to say that I was never disappointed with quality of the grub. (the Full English fry-up was to die for :p )

I'll be back in Pattaya next week for a few months, so will be definitely be booking a table for a few post-hangover fry-ups! :angel8:

January 17th, 2008, 07:25
Yeah, I've eaten there a few times, definitely worth a visit, thanks George.

thaiguest
January 17th, 2008, 08:26
I endorse everything said about MAG'S. If you feel like a good, generous, ENGLISH BREAKFAST, this is also the place.

January 17th, 2008, 09:12
I endorse everything said about MAG'S. If you feel like a good, generous, ENGLISH BREAKFAST, this is also the place.

My thanks to thaiguest and the other posters above for their comments on the breakfasts which are served at Magg's, I had totally forgotten to mention them. The reason was most probably, that I am never usually up early enough in which to have breakfast, but when I am, I too endorse what has been said about the breakfast served at Magg's, which arguably, is the best one in town.

This is similar to the breakfast I enjoy, which is smaller than the Big Breakfast and one that I can never manage to get through. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Breaky2.jpg

For those of you more health conscious than me, Magg's also do an alternative to a fried breakfast in the form of healthy ones such as museli cereal, which is served with fruit and yogurt. This is an example of just one of the many alternatives that are available.

As I am for a change up in time for breakfast and as all this talk of food has made me hungry, I am on my way down to Magg's to get myself one.

Choc Dee,

George.

UncleSam
January 17th, 2008, 10:41
I ate there once. That was enough. It's cheap compared to more upscale air-conditioned places, which it's not. That's all I can honestly say for it. I never went back.

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 17th, 2008, 10:46
sounds like instant heart attack material.

any suggestions on a decent Thai restaurant?

PeterUK
January 17th, 2008, 13:08
Magg's is one of my favourite places to eat in Jomtien. Good food, friendly service, nice atmosphere. My Thai companion likes their Thai food too.

January 17th, 2008, 14:11
Anyplace so overly recommended can't live up to expectations. And friends of George, so how can we take this seriously.
Certainly, with those prices, not for going there often.

January 17th, 2008, 14:18
Magg's is one of my favourite places to eat in Jomtien. Good food, friendly service, nice atmosphere. My Thai companion likes their Thai food too.

I agree with all you have said above Peter and without any favourable bias on my part. With regard to your comments concerning your Thai companion and his liking the Thai food there, so does Noom as I stated above. I also know for certain, that the many other Thai B/Fs that eat there with their farang partners, also very much enjoy the Thai food which they are served, as I do myself on the many ocassions I have chosen to eat from the Thai menu, instead of the farang one.

For the benefit of some of our resident cynics here, who I am sure may believe otherwise, my post in regard to Magg's, was in no way meant to be a promotion of the restaurant, or an attempt on my behalf to give it any publicity it is not deserving of. I can assure you that it doesn't need it, as you would find out yourself if you tried to get a table without a reservation on most nights. Hence my genuine recommendation for you to make a reservation.

My post was intended only to highlight what I think is a good place to eat, which judging by the majority of posts so far, I am not alone in thinking. It was also made for those that may be interested in the fare Magg's has to offer and who, may have been unaware of it's existence before my post, along with perhaps being interested it trying it out for themselves. That's all folks, http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/shrugs.gif no more and no less.

Anyplace so overly recommended can't live up to expectations. And friends of George, so how can we take this seriously. Certainly, with those prices, not for going there often.

Might have known you would crawl out from your hole and at some point find your way to this thread. Despite all comments, both present as well as any future ones that are made about Magg's, I am certain that only a cheapskate such as you Boogy, will find an issue with the very reasonable prices charged there. Although I enjoy them myself from time to time, I guess that everywhere is expensive to you, compared to the regular 20 Baht you pay at the noodle stools. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/shake_head.gif

No one restaurant is ever going to be able to please everyone and furthermore, we all know that it never will be able to. I have no problem with comments such as those made by UncleSam in his post. At least to me they were genine and honest, as opposed to the piss takers that seem unable to be genuine or honest about anything. Oh well, as the French say, tel est la vie.

George. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Peace.gif

Smiles
January 17th, 2008, 14:23
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Breaky2.jpg
Agree with the heart attack innuendo .... that photo is unspeakably gross.

" ... any suggestions on a decent Thai restaurant? ... "

Lunchtime (does he ever go for dinner?) asked about a decent Thai restaurant (in Pattaya or Jomtien I presume). One place we particularly liked in Jomtien is a place named 'Koffa' (or 'Kaffa'). Had the pleasure of dining there in December with some farang friends and their Thai friends for a pleasant birthday dinner.
Went back again ~ just the 2 of us this time ~ to see if the Panang Goong was as exquisite as the first time ... and it was even better. Big fat juicy prawns swimming in a saffron-coloured delicate curry, somewhat sweet, somewhat spicy. One of my favourites. Really really good and hardly expensive ( yup Khun Peter, we know the prices a bit better now :blackeye: ).

Dine al fresco or inside aircon, nice ambience, pleasant (and handsome) servers, 'Koffa' is located at the corner of Jomtien Rd and where it turns left along the beach ... kitty corner to the police station.

Cheers ...

PeterUK
January 17th, 2008, 15:27
I can't for the life of me see what is so horrible about that yummy-looking breakfast. Each part of it looks well-cooked and it's not all swimming in fat as is often the case in Pattaya. Admittedly, as a vegetarian, I should disapprove, but let's just say I'm prone to 'lapses'. On that subject, I liked a bit of Australian slang I came across the other day. Apparently, a vegetarian who eats fish is known as a 'fishandchipocrite'. Nice one, eh? (PS Smiles speaks true words of the Thai restaurant opposite the police station in Jomtien - give it a try some time. Oh, and we enjoyed your company too, Smiles and Suphot, at the birthday bash).

UncleSam
January 17th, 2008, 15:30
My post was intended only to highlight what I think is a good place to eat, which judging by the majority of posts so far, I am not alone in thinking.

When I first read George's rave review, I intended to keep my unfavorable impressions of Maggs to myself. Then I noticed that the three complimentary comments which followed in a row were made by posters without much geneology here, which, when followed by George's reprise, looked suspiciously like a promotional stunt. Maybe it was just coincidence but it prompted me to post what I did.

I do agree with Smiles' comments about Kaffa, next to the former KFC in Jomtien. In my opinion, it's far superior to anything that Maggs has to offer, even if the service at Kaffa can be a bit slow when it's busy.

TOQ
January 17th, 2008, 15:39
Why are people complaining about the prices.. the ones quoated are for a fixed menu. You can order ala carte and not spend anywhere near the Fixed Menu price.

john

ned kelly-old
January 17th, 2008, 16:53
I'm with "Uncle Sam" and would rate Maggs as ordinary, about UK transport cafe standard....plain reasonable food. I've eaten there about four or five times and Val and the camp waiters provide good service, but the lack of air conditioning does not for a comfortable meal make unless you snare the front tables. It's possible this has changed as I havn't been there for about a year.
I believe there is far better value elsewhere, and would agree that Kaffa on the Jomtien beach corner is one such option

January 17th, 2008, 17:00
Oh my God! Smiles' photo has what looks like English Back - in the US I think known as Canadian - bacon. I will be rushing there very soon.

I have just finished a couple of packs of Waitrose's Smoked back bacon kindly flown over by visiting relatives. What a treat and it came from happy pigs according to the label. This was accompanied by a huge chunk of Cheshire Cheese - organic and handmade and scrumptious. All this fits with my Atkins diet started 1st Jan and 5 kilos off already.

January 17th, 2008, 17:16
When I first read George's rave review, I intended to keep my unfavorable impressions of Maggs to myself. Then I noticed that the three complimentary comments which followed in a row were made by posters without much geneology here, which, when followed by George's reprise, looked suspiciously like a promotional stunt. Maybe it was just coincidence but it prompted me to post what I did.

I assure you that's exactly what is was UncleSam, nothing more than a coincidence. You also have my assurance, that out of those three complimentary posts that were made, only one poster was known personally to me. That person, although as you say, may not have much genealogy here at Sawadi, is when he comes to Thailand which is quite often, a regular patron of Magg's. May I also add that his post, was made without any knowledge to me. The first time that I was aware it had been made, was when it appeared on the board.

To reiterate what I said above which was: For the benefit of some of our resident cynics here, who I am sure may believe otherwise, my post in regard to Magg's, was in no way meant to be a promotion of the restaurant, or an attempt on my behalf to give it any publicity it is not deserving of. I can assure you that it doesn't need it That statement is also true and although it may not mean much to you, you have my word on it. Had it have not been, it would have not been posted by me, as I hope many here would substantiate.

What now concerns me, is in view of what you have said in your statement above, about those three posts prompting you to make the post you initially did, are you now saying it was not an honest and genuine post that you made, as I have stated above I believed it to be? I ask this question, as your post would have then been, equally as guilty of being false, as the ones you claimed and believed to be? If so, my congratulations on duping me so successfully.

If that is not the case and I have misunderstood what you have said above, than you have my apologies in advance of any reply that you may make.

Cheers,

George.

Why are people complaining about the prices.. the ones quoated are for a fixed menu. You can order ala carte and not spend anywhere near the Fixed Menu price.

john

No one is complaining John, well none other than our very own resident Cheap Charlie that is. What else would you expect of him when he is asked to consider buying any meal that is over 20 Baht? http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

January 17th, 2008, 17:48
I'm with "Uncle Sam" and would rate Maggs as ordinary, about UK transport cafe standard....plain reasonable food. Fuck Ned, you must eat at some excellent transport cafes, I wasn't aware that there were any of them left in the UK, let alone good ones.

I hope you are not referring to any such as the likes of Watford Gap's very own Blue Boar. That like many others before they became extinct, unlike Magg's, had more oil swimming about on their plates, than all of that possessed by the entire state of Texas. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

Anyways, I have decided to disqualify any opinions you may have about anything here, on the grounds that your genealogy here at Sawadi, doesn't seem to amount to much. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

On a serious note Ned, Magg's is still the same with regard to the fact that it is still without air con, but as a smoker who rarely dines inside in air con anyway, I am quite happy about this fact and also find the fans, of which I am certain there are more of since your last visit, quite adequate.

By the way, the camp waiters haven't changed either, neither has the excellent service they give to the customers. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biggrinangel.gif

Choc Dee Ned, with a handle such as yours, you can't be all bad, even though you don't seem to have much taste where food is concerned. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/tongue.gif

Choc Dee,

George. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Peace.gif

TrongpaiExpat
January 17th, 2008, 19:52
Oh my God! Smiles' photo has what looks like English Back - in the US I think known as Canadian - bacon. I will be rushing there very soon.

The Canadian bacon I knew was more round. I think that's just ham. What do they call Canadian bacon in Canada?

I don't think that it all the bad to have a breakfast like that every now and then. Even some Thai food has a lot of fat and the curries made with coconut milk are full of cholesterol.

How does it go, there's no bad food only bad quantities. What, only one sausage and where's the bread and butter?

By the way where is Maggs located in Jomtiem?

January 17th, 2008, 22:10
Mags is on Theprasit Road which rune from Thapaya Road ( Pattaya - Jomtien ) to Suckhumvit. First left traveling from Pattaya, after Pan Pan restaurant. It is a couple of blocks along on your left.

Entry on the brilliant deadedned.com

"Magg's Restaurant
315/32 Theprasit Rd
Phone: (0) 3825 - 1236
Located two blocks from Thappraya Rd, recently redecorated, and offering superb value for Thai and Western food. Open Monday to Saturday for breakfast and lunch from 8:00 AM till 2:00 PM and for dinner from 6:00 PM till 10:00 PM."

thaiworthy-old
January 18th, 2008, 00:12

I have just finished a couple of packs of Waitrose's Smoked back bacon kindly flown over by visiting relatives. What a treat and it came from happy pigs according to the label. This was accompanied by a huge chunk of Cheshire Cheese - organic and handmade and scrumptious. All this fits with my Atkins diet started 1st Jan and 5 kilos off already.

Yes, those choices are definitely Atkins. An egg in there would've been ok too. This is my favorite breakfast, but I can't eat it everyday. Not exactly a diabetic's delight because of the fat. My dietician recommends some cereals, which is generally not Atkins, unless you buy the South Beach brands which are bland and probably not available in Thailand.

I think that was George's picture, not Smiles. And I am pretty easy to please when it comes to restaurants. Life is too short to spend it complaining all the time, so I accept and adjust. But that's just me.

Of course, there is always Lunchtime O'Booze's favorite diet, something from each of the 4 basic food groups: whiskey, gin, vodka and beer. He calls it "Booze'N'Lose." He's been on it for a week and already he's lost 3 days!

Smiles
January 18th, 2008, 15:40
" ... What do they call Canadian bacon in Canada? ... "
"Funny-looking bacon". Where it got the name 'Canadian' bacon I don't know. I first heard it called that in Las Vegas! :cheers:

"Canadian Bacon" was also the title of a Michael Moore film .... which hardly anyone in Canada has seen.

Cheers ...

lonelywombat
January 18th, 2008, 16:41
Mags is on Theprasit Road which rune from Thapaya Road ( Pattaya - Jomtien ) to Suckhumvit. First left traveling from Pattaya, after Pan Pan restaurant. It is a couple of blocks along on your left.

Entry on the brilliant deadedned.com

"Magg's Restaurant
315/32 Theprasit Rd
Phone: (0) 3825 - 1236
Located two blocks from Thappraya Rd, recently redecorated, and offering superb value for Thai and Western food. Open Monday to Saturday for breakfast and lunch from 8:00 AM till 2:00 PM and for dinner from 6:00 PM till 10:00 PM."

Damn I was about to add this to my list of Jomtien restaurants and end up deleting all of them

Can an expat start a new thread on Jomtien restaurants that are recommended.

January 18th, 2008, 16:55
Mags is on Theprasit Road which rune from Thapaya Road ( Pattaya - Jomtien ) to Suckhumvit. First left traveling from Pattaya, after Pan Pan restaurant. It is a couple of blocks along on your left. Entry on the brilliant deadedned.com

Just for those that may not be familiar with the site, to correct a little typo by wowpow, the web site is; www.dreadedned.com (http://www.dreadedned.com)

G.

April 9th, 2008, 18:01
here is tonghts menu to wet your appetite!