PDA

View Full Version : Shock, horror in Silom

December 31st, 2005, 15:59
Between Bangkok Bank (on one side of Silom) and Kasikorn Bank (formerly Thai Farmers Bank), near Soi 5, there is now a traffic-light controlled ... wait for it ... (gasp) pedestrian-crossing. The sole purpose of the lights there (on demand) is to allow pedestrians to cross the road. This represents the end of Thai civilization as we know it. The authorities have gone so far as to break out the traffic divider in the middle, so it is a completely single-level crossing point. I can even manage it with my zimmer frame :roll:. Until now crossing Silom Rd has given me my daily adrenalin rush. I shall now have to seek out some other excitement

Bob
December 31st, 2005, 23:31
They have several of these in Chiangmai and it's a hoot (frightening at times) to watch them work. I'd guess that maybe half the traffic actually stops for them whereas the other half slow a little or zoom for the funny walking creatures. Sometimes I've felt safer simply crossing elsewhere as my heightened senses/fears make me deftly ply between the bumpers. The allegedly safe crosswalks lull one into thinking that somebody actually will pay attention to it.

TrongpaiExpat
January 1st, 2006, 14:12
I saw a few of these in Chiang Mai and was told there are new. Yes, I did notice that about 1/2 of cars ignore and almost all motocys ignore them driving around you if they can as you cross. Do not count on anything stopping just because there is a red light. The one I used in Chiang Mai only gave you 10 seconds to make it across. One farang I know though it more dangerous to used these than to just wait for a break in the traffic.

January 1st, 2006, 15:50
Get one of the new three-legged zimmer frames with wheels and hand-brakes.
Great for those times you want to trip him and get under him before he hits the floor.

January 1st, 2006, 17:41
I wait at that crossing in Silom until a suitable number of Thai office staff are gathered. Only when they start to walk across as a group do I follow them, making sure I have a good human shield from the traffic. This way I have to wait a little longer but it pays in terms of safety to let the locals take the lead. :lol:

January 3rd, 2006, 09:41
My Zimmer Frame and I decided to essay crossing Silom Rd using the new facility this morning - as office life starts to revert to normal after the New Year (when Bangkok seems full of Westerners and no-one else). As the crossing is a new one and I've noticed that people generally (not just in Thailand) only see what they expect to see (oh piston10, where are you?), I anticipated that there would be some vehicles that would drive straight through. I only saw one that didn't stop at all. One taxi drove through when there was no pedestrian on the crossing, and several motorbikes (in particular) stopped for pedestrians but ignored the fact that the light was still red when they drove off again

So I guess it could be called a qualified success. I crossed twice, once in each direction. I suppose that makes me bi-directional :?:

January 3rd, 2006, 15:56
I crossed twice, once in each direction. I suppose that makes me bi-directional :?:

Or a double-crosser :?:

January 3rd, 2006, 17:11
But not a cross-dresser :cry:

January 3rd, 2006, 17:31
But not a cross-dresser :cry:

Neither am I. I'm always in a good mood when I dress. :lol:

I tried mixing Ranch with Russian--And looked like the Empress, Anna Ivanovna...as played by Dale Evans! :x

Smiles
January 3rd, 2006, 22:53
Edith, I must ask you this question. (If you wish, all you need to do is answer "yes" or "no" ~ he said conspiratorially. I shall say no more either way.)

Does the name "LOLA" have any particular meaning to you?

Cheers ...

Brad the Impala
January 4th, 2006, 01:11
Sorry to get involved in the intimate conspiracy, but I am going to answer the question, which I suspect meant something else when Smiles asked it of Edith, but I loved this song.

LOLA

I met her in a club down in old soho
Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry-cola [lp version:
Coca-cola]
C-o-l-a cola
She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said lola
L-o-l-a lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Well IтАЩm not the worldтАЩs most physical guy
But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine
Oh my lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
Well IтАЩm not dumb but I canтАЩt understand
Why she walked like a woman and talked like a man
Oh my lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Well we drank champagne and danced all night
Under electric candlelight
She picked me up and sat me on her knee
And said dear boy wonтАЩt you come home with me
Well IтАЩm not the worldтАЩs most passionate guy
But when I looked in her eyes well I almost fell for my lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

I pushed her away
I walked to the door
I fell to the floor
I got down on my knees
Then I looked at her and she at me

Well thatтАЩs the way that I want it to stay
And I always want it to be that way for my lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo lola
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
ItтАЩs a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo lola

Well I left home just a week before
And IтАЩd never ever kissed a woman before
But lola smiled and took me by the hand
And said dear boy IтАЩm gonna make you a man

Well IтАЩm not the worldтАЩs most masculine man
But I know what I am and IтАЩm glad IтАЩm a man
And so is lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

January 4th, 2006, 15:25
Edith, I must ask you this question. (If you wish, all you need to do is answer "yes" or "no" ~ he said conspiratorially. I shall say no more either way.)

Does the name "LOLA" have any particular meaning to you?

Cheers ...

Lots of Love Always, is the first thing that comes to mind; also, an old (& I do mean, old.) lover, Lawrence Of Los Angeles; he who needed a back-to-head hair-transplant--And claimed the (previous) Kinks song, L. O. L. A. Lola--[i] was about him.) Lola Montez, Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Lola of the, Blue Angel, Run, Lola, Run and there was someone on a defunct message board a long time ago. How'm I doin'?

http://www.lolaray.com/

Smiles
January 5th, 2006, 04:10
. . . . and THIS is how to post a unique message on a discussion board!! :shock: Looks like the theatre staircase Al Jolson's girlfriend nearly took a Hedda from, only to see his smiling face ~ and courage ~ looking up at her in the audience: http://lolaray.com/ubbthreads//showthre ... age=0&vc=1 (http://lolaray.com/ubbthreads//showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=22912&page=0&vc=1)

Cheers ...