PDA

View Full Version : Time bomb injures dozens in Thailand market

lonelywombat
January 15th, 2008, 10:44
Time bomb injures dozens in Thailand

January 15, 2008 - 2:45PM

A time bomb hidden on a motorcycle has seriously wounded 11 people at a busy market in Thailand's rebellious Muslim south, police and hospital officials say.

The bomb, weighing several kilograms, also left 28 people with minor injuries in Yala province, one of three far south provinces near the Malaysian border which have borne the brunt of four years of separatist insurgency.

"This is clearly an attempt to intimidate people, intended to send a message that the authorities cannot protect them," army spokesman Colonel Acra Tiproch said.

The bomb went off a day after eight soldiers were killed and two wounded in ambushes by suspected separatist militants in neighbouring Narathiwat province.

A military "hearts and minds" campaign has failed to quell violence in the region, an independent sultanate populated largely by ethnic Malays annexed by overwhelmingly Buddhist Thailand a century ago.

Nearly 800 people were killed last year, taking the death toll to nearly 2,800 since the latest chapter of the insurgency began in January 2004, Prince of Songkhla University's "Deep South Watch" think-tank said.

┬й 2008 Reuters, Click for Restrictions

January 15th, 2008, 10:50
Good old Muslims, you can rely on certain elements to kill their own, and strangers. Charming religion. Just remind me why l don't convert.

January 15th, 2008, 16:29
Good old Buddhists in Burma.
Good old Jews in Palestine.
Good old Christians in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Good old Hindus in Sri Lanka.

And for that matter,Good old atheists in Russia.

Any more suggestions from our resident Professor of Comparative Religion?

January 15th, 2008, 16:38
Maybe we do not need to attack an entire religious group because of what a small minority does. I have friends that are Muslims and are very upset with how their religion is getting twisted. They are good people. Radicals are radicals and do not represent the majority. A group of radical Christians have caused great devastation in today's world too in the name of Christ.

I imagine that the comment was made in jest. I am just tired of radical groups hurting anyone for a cause that leads to nothing but more misery for people. Why must we?

Where is Rainwalker when we need some humor???

January 15th, 2008, 17:03
you can rely on certain elements to kill their own, convert.

I knew someone would ass/u/me that l said ALL

Shake me up you get a