PDA

View Full Version : Renting a house to a buisness friend. Bad idea?

January 13th, 2008, 04:43
I was asked to post this by a friend of mine.

He rented his house to the owners of a well known Bar in Boys Town which he sold to them last year due to bad health. They rented his house for over a year. Paid a 50 000 baht deposit.

They had 2 dogs. They destroyed the inside of the house causing over a 120 000 baht of damage.Shit stains every where. I really dont understand how people can live in this sort of life style they were living. They come across as all prim and proper.

The thing is what does the owner do. He has already had a heated confrontation where police were involved.

Does he just let the whole matter pass or does he sue for the damages.
What would you do?

January 13th, 2008, 04:52
Does he just let the whole matter pass or does he sue for the damages. What would you do?What does the lease say?

PinkSilom
January 13th, 2008, 05:37
'What would you do?'

I'd keep the 50'000 baht deposit and consider that I'd caused 70'000 baht worth of damage myself with your post, since most people will have worked out who you are referring to. I guess it's not just the dogs that like to leave shit stains!

January 14th, 2008, 06:30
They had 2 dogs.
Had 2 dogs?

What has happened to the little doggies?
It's not their fault that they were never properly house trained.
People should not be allowed to have pets if they don't know how to look after them.

January 14th, 2008, 15:58
give us a clue :bigsmurf:

allieb
January 14th, 2008, 18:31
Keep the deposit, wright off the balance, take pics of the shit stains with the dirty bitches names attached, make a couple of hundred copies and hand them out in the bar and all over boystown

Marsha-old
January 14th, 2008, 20:45
Kevin should just cut his loss. He should do what allieb suggest and take many pictures.

Let everyone know what dirty bastards they are.

January 15th, 2008, 03:17
Got it, thank you. But l am soo surprised.

globalwanderer
January 15th, 2008, 08:13
keep teh deposit and write the rest off, I doubt it is worth the hassle to go through the courts

Aunty
January 15th, 2008, 08:51
Well you know what they say. Never do business with friends and family. And I'll add one to that, the clearly disturbed. And there seems to be no shortage of them in Thailand!

January 17th, 2008, 19:49
Dear Guys,

Happy New Year.

I have taken photos and there were five dogs in residence not including the renters!

I have had three Estate agents up who have taken photos and given me reports for any future action the may need to be taken.

The sofas are damaged beyond repair and I have ordered new, not as good quality as the ones that were in, at a cost of 75,000 baht. The cleaning bill to clean all carpets of dog excrement , curtains, mattresses and clean the House up to a tenable state is 32,000 baht from a correct cleaning company in Pattaya.

The shower door which was smashed is 3,000 baht, the light globe smashed another 1,000 baht, there are two bedspreads missing at 6,000 baht, an iron at 2,000 baht, there is the Hoover missing, a water heater missing, the gardens to bring back up to condition was 30,000 baht including trimming and re planting, The garden furniture is wrecked and needs replacing.

The list goes on and on. There was an altercation regards the refund of one months deposit, which is all I charged not the usual two months.

I have had, as I said, photos taken, reports in both Thai and English done and all reputable companies involved to inspect, report and replace.

I am astonished they had the cheek to scream and shout for it back.

However, this is Thailand and some people think if they scream and shout they will get their own way.

I am disgusted by the shape and condition a House, which was in mint condition, could be left like this. It will take another ten days to conclude all remedial works and leave it in a "clean, rent able tenantable condition" as the lease states.

I am not prepared to allow people to view the House at this time, in case they think that I live like that!

January 17th, 2008, 20:49
Name and shame them Kevin, lets face it they didn't give a hoot about you or your property and I should think from your post that they well knew you were not a well guy........Cads for want of a better word, so let us all in on who they are....

Happy New Year and I do hope all goes well for you in 2008 you well deserve it........

globalwanderer
January 18th, 2008, 02:33
Having read your detailed response Kevin, I change my view. I'd do my best to pursue them for every baht. I've learnt over the past two weeks who my real friends are in Thailand and if any of them had to deal with a similar situation I'd help them do the same.

January 18th, 2008, 03:24
... it is the owner of Throb and owner(s) of Le Cafe Royal.

dab69
January 18th, 2008, 05:53
cafe royal has new owners?
do they bring their dogs there?
ewwwwwwwwwww.

thaiworthy-old
January 18th, 2008, 06:01
Kevin, maybe you should avoid doing business with anyone on Soi 3. :geek:

bkkguy
January 18th, 2008, 09:31
Dear Guys,
I have had three Estate agents up who have taken photos and given me reports for any future action the may need to be taken.
I am not prepared to allow people to view the House at this time, in case they think that I live like that!

but you could post the pictures and reports here

bkkguy

January 18th, 2008, 20:07
Guys,

I intend to post photos and reports,as attempts have been made to imply I was not telling the truth.

Also, one of the regular posters here arrives in Pattaya on the 20th, [ Krobbie] I 'll show him also!

ALL THE BEST EVERYONE

Kevin.

January 18th, 2008, 21:54
who lived in the rented house?

bkkguy
January 19th, 2008, 00:42
I intend to post photos and reports,as attempts have been made to imply I was not telling the truth.

well this is a public discussion forum and both sides of the dispute have been clearly identified and claims of 10's of thousands of Baht damage are quite serious so I hope someone in going to produce some proof either for or against the claim because people's reputations are at stake

of course if this was about one of the protected gods of pattaya then the moderators would have deleted this thread days ago, but for anyone else they are happy for all of is to wallow in this unsupported speculation!

bkkguy

January 19th, 2008, 20:46
Hi,

It is not unsupported nor speculation. I have already shown the photographs and reports to various people/bar owners of Pattayaland Soi 3 who had been given the wrong information.

I am not very computer literate and I have asked a friend in Pattaya to assist me in uploading this information to the forum.

I did not start the thread, I merely,pointed out the details were nearly correct. I am quite busy on projects and when it fits with my friends time and mine, I will let the forum see the material providing I am not arming the opposition with a means of defence, as I do intend to take legal action if this damage is not paid for.

PinkSilom
January 20th, 2008, 03:22
'I did not start the thread, I merely, pointed out the details were nearly correct.'

'I was asked to post this by a friend of mine. He rented his house ...'

Kquill, you did not start the thread, but it was started at your behest. Let's not split hairs here! There may be some forum members that consider you a public spirited gentleman, kindly warning potential landlords not to rent property to your ex-tenants. Conversely, there may be forum members that see this thread as a vent for your anger towards the aforementioned tenants, and who are surprised that you would wash your dirty linen in public. I am afraid I fall into the second category, and had thought that you were a bigger man than this.

Aunty
January 20th, 2008, 04:42
As a landlord myself, anything that identifies dead-beat tenants is a damn good thing.

Brad the Impala
January 20th, 2008, 05:00
As a landlord myself, anything that identifies dead-beat tenants is a damn good thing.

As a frequent poster, isn't it about time that you contributed a small amount to the upkeep and running costs of this forum?

Aunty
January 20th, 2008, 05:17
Although it has nothing to do with this topic, (and again your slimy arrogance in taking a thread off-topic is unappreciated), my position on making a contribution to this board has been stated many times in the past. Pay attention and keep up.

January 20th, 2008, 06:57
... because people's reputations are at stakeAnd this is precisely the sort of place where people's reputations matter :drunken:

Brad the Impala
January 20th, 2008, 15:49
Although it has nothing to do with this topic, (and again your slimy arrogance in taking a thread off-topic is unappreciated), my position on making a contribution to this board has been stated many times in the past. Pay attention and keep up.

Sorry, I must have missed your "position". So remind me why others should subsidize your gratuitous insults and opinions on a forum, on the subject of which you have so little personal knowledge.

Aunty
January 20th, 2008, 16:50

Sorry, I must have missed your "position". So remind me why others should subsidize your gratuitous insults and opinions on a forum, on the subject of which you have so little personal knowledge.

This thread is not about me, Brad, and I'm not going to indulge you into trying to make it so. Get over yourself.

Brad the Impala
January 21st, 2008, 00:58
This thread is not about me, Brad, and I'm not going to indulge you into trying to make it so. Get over yourself.

What selfless determination to keep a thread on topic!

Can it be true that you will not contribute until the posters that you don't like are banned?

January 21st, 2008, 04:51
... Aunty is so happy - none of her tenants can afford to move out of their Orewa homes. And to think I lent little Tourette the seed capital that started her on this slippery slope (hint: any chance of getting it back soon?)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10487926 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10487926)

January 21st, 2008, 05:43
Hi,

It is not unsupported nor speculation. I have already shown the photographs and reports to various people/bar owners of Pattayaland Soi 3 who had been given the wrong information.

I am not very computer literate and I have asked a friend in Pattaya to assist me in uploading this information to the forum.

I did not start the thread, I merely,pointed out the details were nearly correct. I am quite busy on projects and when it fits with my friends time and mine, I will let the forum see the material providing I am not arming the opposition with a means of defence, as I do intend to take legal action if this damage is not paid for.

KQUILL

Unless you want a long drawn out batte, I would just draw a line under this, pay for the damage, get over it and continue with your life. You won't be the first who has had damaged furniture etc when renting a house out and certainly not the last. It goes on. You might be angry now, but your anger will eventually diminish. Concentrate on your new ventures fully, after all it is Thailand and not UK - what will you gain - only a lot of hassle, lawyers fees and probably a few thousand pounds to repair damage - is it worth it!

January 21st, 2008, 18:44
I have avoided this thread like the plague. However, to give my two satang's worth, I will answer the question of this thread's title, that being: Renting a house to a business friend. Bad idea?

Personally speaking, I think it is an extremely bad idea to rent to a business or any other type of friend. I say this as from my experience, the consequences of doing so are almost certain to end up being exactly the same, as in the cases when you lend money to them. That being, with them being swiftly erased from your Christmas Card list as a result of them being, either people you no longer wish to associate yourself with, or because of the fact they disappear without ever materialising again.

I have rented properties in the past to both friends and close acquaintances, believing falsely, that by them being so, they would respect and take care of my property better than any stranger would. Boy oh Boy, not only was I wrong big time with that little assumption of mine, it was also let me say in one particular case when I let my house to a certain restaurant owner in town, with bloody disastrous results.

On the other hand, some Tennant's whom I did not know prior to renting to them, ended up being the complete reverse of those above, by since becoming close acquaintances and in one case, someone that is now a very good friend of mine and whom has been for quite a few years now.

Not the way it should be at all as we all know and difficult to understand why "friends" treat us in this way, but unfortunately in far too many cases, this is exactly what they do. I no longer rent to friends, or recommend them to other property owners, with the exception that is of of a couple whom I know and have first hand experience of, as to how they treat places belonging to others. Nor by the way, will I ever do so again.

The reason for my having avoided this thread, is the fact that I know both parties involved, although it's fair to say, that I know one of them a hell of a lot better than the other. I personally would have not started a thread such as this one, believing that like some other threads that surface here from time to time, it goes beyond the realms of free speech and should have been removed by those that have the powers to have done so, immediately it was first seen by them.

As it has been allowed to remain, and as a result of the accusations within the thread, I believe it to be only fair to hear from the party that the claims are being made against, or at least by someone on their behalf. I say this, as someones silence as opposed to defending themselves when accused of something, is in most cases taken as an admission of guilt by the majority of people.

Knowing Kevin as a person that I would trust before many other businessman, both among our gay community as well as those outside of it in Straightsville, as well as being one that I believe has never lied to me about anything, I am sure that others here who like me know Kevin in this way too, will no doubt be believing that he would not have made the claims he has regarding the damage to his apartment, if they were not true.

Despite what I have said immediately above, I know that there are always two sides to a story and wherever possible I always like to hear them. So, with that said, if that is possible and in view of what I have said the general consensus will be without it, you may wish to consider my proposal.

Just as a thought, if what Kevin claims is true, even an apology will, in the long run in my opinion, have people holding you in a better light, than the one which in all probability, they hold you in at present. I also believe that if it matters to you, as I think that it should, the chances will be high that the people here will have an higher opinion of you, for at least having had the balls to have done so.

As we regularly hear being uttered in Thailand, I guess it's now very much now a case of my saying in closing this post of mine.: Up to you! http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/shrugs.gif

Thanks for reading,

George. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Peace.gif

January 22nd, 2008, 02:04
As I have already got my feet wet by sticking my toes into this thread by my post above, I feel it necessary to post again because of something I failed to mention above and with regard to the following post that was made.

'I did not start the thread, I merely, pointed out the details were nearly correct.'

'I was asked to post this by a friend of mine. He rented his house ...'

Kquill, you did not start the thread, but it was started at your behest. Let's not split hairs here! There may be some forum members that consider you a public spirited gentleman, kindly warning potential landlords not to rent property to your ex-tenants. Conversely, there may be forum members that see this thread as a vent for your anger towards the aforementioned tenants, and who are surprised that you would wash your dirty linen in public. I am afraid I fall into the second category, and had thought that you were a bigger man than this.

Let me say to you PinkSilom, that one shouldn't make assumptions as a result of what was said by SIn City Queen in his initial post. Don't forget that this same poster is prone to having hallucinations whereby large numbers of underage boys are taken away from the bar they work in by mini busses. I stopped short of calling him a liar in that thread, but I will not do so again if he claims that it was Kevin that asked him to start this thread.

To say that Kevin would ask anyone to do this is laughable, as I personally believe it to be something that he would never do. Had Kevin have wanted it to be known on this forum what happened to his property, he would without any doubt whatsoever, have posted the information himself. I believe that it was only after the thread was started that he rightly or wrongly, depending on what your opinion is, went ahead and posted himself about the matter.

So the point of this post of mine PinkSilom, is to say to you, that before you again make accusations about somebody, please ensure that you have some evidence at least, with which to back up your claim, as one thing I can assure you of is, that Kevin is a much bigger man than to allow anyone to start any thread on his behalf.

Just setting the record straight folks, no more no less I assure you. If anyone is wondering why I seem so bothered, let me tell you that any rumours that are based without any evidence or proof for them and which invariably turn out to be lies, always bother me and bother me a lot.

Choc Dee,

PinkSilom
January 22nd, 2008, 02:47
George, I say to you, if you knew Sin City Queen and KQuill, you would know full well that Sin City Queen would not be plastering KQuill's private business on a public forum without consent. In the unlikely event that Sin City Queen was stupid enough to do so without consent, KQuill would have had the post removed immediately. I guess we are BOTH making assumptions without any evidence.

January 22nd, 2008, 02:53
I guess we are BOTH making assumptions without any evidence.George do such a thing? Surely not?

January 22nd, 2008, 03:10
I guess we are BOTH making assumptions without any evidence.

Unfortunately once again PinkSilom, that is not true and, another very wrong assumption on your part to say so.

George.

PinkSilom
January 22nd, 2008, 07:20
George, just ask KQuill when next you see him.

January 22nd, 2008, 19:41
George, just ask KQuill when next you see him.

I thought you would have worked out by my posts above, not too difficult I would have thought, that I already had seen Kevin and did ask.

Contrary to what some bald headed old cunts may thing who make a regular practice of doing so themselves, I do not make statements of fact, based purely on the assumptions of either others or myself.

Choc Dee PS, I bear no grudges where you are concerned.

PinkSilom
January 22nd, 2008, 21:27
Well, if KQuill says that Sin City Queen is lying, it must be true. I'll say no more on the subject.

PS George, if ever you're in the market to buy Tower Bridge, let me know.

January 23rd, 2008, 01:58
George, I say to you, if you knew Sin City Queen and KQuill, you would know full well that Sin City Queen would not be plastering KQuill's private business on a public forum without consent. In the unlikely event that Sin City Queen was stupid enough to do so without consent, KQuill would have had the post removed immediately. I guess we are BOTH making assumptions without any evidence.

No offence, but unfortunately, one has to make assumptions on a board like, and one has to read into them as they so wish. There is so much "silly" stuff on here, there is no other way to do it. It is then up to "us" to believe it or not.

January 24th, 2008, 01:43
Gents,

I accept this is not the correct place to post on this subject.

If I Have made any errors, I apologize.

Let the Courts decide this matter and we all must accept their verdict!

It is Thailand and their system.

PinkSilom
January 24th, 2008, 07:41
APOLOGIES

Kevin, that was the post of a BIG man. I apologise for being overzealous in my criticism and sincerely hope the matter is dealt with fairly in court. I wish you and your partner good fortune with your entertainment complex in Pattaya.

February 2nd, 2008, 11:00
Hi All
i think you should have all seen the house before being rented to the people in question it was a shithole then
but who are we to question i have to laugh when they go on about the garden :bounce: the gardner come everything else had to cut the grass with tools like hedge cutters not strimmers or anything well looked after my arse cheers

thaiworthy-old
February 2nd, 2008, 12:27
Hi All
i think you should have all seen the house before being rented to the people in question it was a shithole then
but who are we to question i have to laugh when they go on about the garden :bounce: the gardner come everything else had to cut the grass with tools like hedge cutters not strimmers or anything well looked after my arse cheers

Did someone forget to trim the hedge, you poor soul? I'll bet it was that lonely leaf on the grounds that taunted you wasn't it? The bluebird of happiness must have forgotten you that day and here you are to tell us your tragic story.

What a loony fabrication. You are highly suspect, I expect.

puckered_penguin
February 2nd, 2008, 13:50
George, would your rent your property to Kevin?

Aunty
February 2nd, 2008, 14:52
Hi All

Well why did they rent it then? Felt right at home???