PDA

View Full Version : Aircon pubs/bars to have smoking ban from 17th Feb

January 11th, 2008, 17:30
Smoking ban set for pubs, outdoor markets

Smoking will be banned in all air-conditioned entertainment venues throughout the country next month, according to the Ministry of Public Health.

The new ban, expected to be imposed on Feb 17, will stop smokers from smoking in nightclubs, pubs and open-air markets including the Chatuchak weekend market, said Dr Hatai Chitanond of the ministry's Health Promotion Institute.

Outdoor restaurants will be required to set up nonsmoking areas.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=125047 (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=125047)

Great news ! Long overdue !

January 11th, 2008, 18:59
Smoking ban set for pubs, outdoor markets

Smoking will be banned in all air-conditioned entertainment venues throughout the country next month, according to the Ministry of Public Health.

The new ban, expected to be imposed on Feb 17, will stop smokers from smoking in nightclubs, pubs and open-air markets including the Chatuchak weekend market, said Dr Hatai Chitanond of the ministry's Health Promotion Institute.

Outdoor restaurants will be required to set up nonsmoking areas.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=125047 (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=125047)

Great news ! Long overdue !

HA! Having witnessed the polution in Bangkok streets, I would regard this 'band-aid' solution with the contempt it deserves. No smoking in open air markets...LOL ! No smoking in the rice paddies next year!

January 11th, 2008, 19:17
HA! Having witnessed the polution in Bangkok streets, I would regard this 'band-aid' solution with the contempt it deserves. No smoking in open air markets...LOL ! No smoking in the rice paddies next year!
Have to agree that the ban in smoking in open air markets (or any open air venue for that matter) is OTT and ridiculous.

However, the ban on smoking in airconditioned bars/pubs - confined places - is most welcome (including I would guess, in their heart-of-hearts, by most smokers as well).

January 11th, 2008, 19:47
Yeah I think the ban is great if it is properly enforced. In London, we now have such a ban, and even as a smoker, I have to say going out clubbing once in a while, I really notice the difference in how my clothes smell when I get home (the person u r with smells a lot better too!!!
Really, the difference is amazing! They should have banned smoking in clubs years ago!

It may sound silly to enforce the ban in places like Chatuchak but actually when you think about it, in the narrow covered lanes it can get really hot and sticky and again, I say this as a smoker, it is really unpleasant to be walking around trying to shop in humid heat with fellow shoppers blowing exhaled cigarette smoke into the already stuffy air. So if they can properly enforce it I think it is a great benefit to Public Health. Mind you in a country with corruption at every level of daily life, i doubt they will be able to enforce it the way it is strictly enforced in many EU countries. They have had a similar ban in place in Bangladesh for over 2 years and if you have enough small cash for the greedy/greasy palms, you can still light up all you like! :hello1:

January 11th, 2008, 20:42
And from NationMultimedia.com

The no-smoking rule will also be good for the health of customers and staff, he said, adding,
"Music performances will be better because musical instruments won't be exposed to the smoke."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/01/11/national/national_30061964.php

:cyclopsani:

January 11th, 2008, 22:52
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/Picture2-4.jpg

Courtesy Pattaya Daily News

January 12th, 2008, 01:17
Admittedly IтАЩm a smoker, a very light smoker, maybe just 5-6 per day, but am I the only one who sees the irony of prohibiting smoking in bars for тАЬhealth reasonsтАЭ?

Does anyone go to a bar and drink alcohol for тАЬhealth reasonsтАЭ?

Sure, in offices, work-places, and restaurants, I get it. But in bars? Please...

Heterosexuals having children and obese over-eaters have a far greater effect on global air quality than smokers having a few fags now and then, but then itтАЩs not politically correct to point out тАЬHey, youтАЩre fat, eat less and the air I breathe will be betterтАЭ, or тАЬAbort that child now, so I donтАЩt have to inhale the consequences of your breedingтАЭ.
IтАЩm having a cigarette as I type :cheers:

January 12th, 2008, 02:38
Join the rest of the civilised world. The boy who spends the night smelling your ashtray hair will thank you.

thaiworthy-old
January 12th, 2008, 03:12
Admittedly IтАЩm a smoker, a very light smoker, maybe just 5-6 per day, but am I the only one who sees the irony of prohibiting smoking in bars for тАЬhealth reasonsтАЭ?

5 or 6 packs a day! If that's light smoking, I'd hate to see heavy smoking. (Just kidding, couldn't resist.)

I am a non-smoker, but it seems to me they should have started with anti-pollution laws, as in car exhaust, etc. But I am also in favor of smoking bans, in restaurants for example. In California, they have taken this to a whole new level. Smoking is banned everywhere, practically!

It does seem ironic on the surface, I can see your point. If it's any comfort, I am fairly sure the alcohol is nicotine-free!

bao-bao
January 12th, 2008, 04:16

Does anyone go to a bar and drink alcohol for тАЬhealth reasonsтАЭ?

I don't have anything against smokers. I was a slave to tobacco myself for about 18 years; but to my knowledge there haven't been any legitimate studies done that show a couple of cigarettes a day are beneficial in any way - although a glass or two of red wine can be. [Almost] everything in moderation, I guess...

On the rare occasions when I do find myself sitting in a bar I don't have to drink what others are drinking. In fact -- back in the dark ages when I was drinking -- you trying to take a hit off of my Stoly might've started a scene. However, when the person sitting next to you is smoking a cigarette... *cough* *cough* Even the best air filtration systems don't really do the job.

Cigars and pipes are even worse yet (sorry jinks and others).

Personally, I'm looking forward to being able to sit in a club for more than an hour without my eyes stinging from smoke.

jolyjacktar
January 12th, 2008, 05:33
Sistersledge Hammer, No i cant see your point dear. If i go to a bar and drink then its my health i affect. If then you come to the bar and smoke its every body who has to breath the shit in, where as you dont have to drink my bear. So your little gripe doesnt stand up im afraid.

January 12th, 2008, 07:18
You guys all assume the ban will be enforced. I don't assume anything in Thailand. Never, ever.

catawampuscat
January 12th, 2008, 09:46
It is a good start, even if enforcement is spotty.
Somehow, I believe the police will see this as another opportunity to shake down people
and eventually people will get tired of having to pay off the police and/or the fines and get
the message.

It also gives the bar owners a reason to tell customers and staff not to smoke inside airconditioned bars
and not be the bad guy. I believe the bar owner/restaurant owners get the fine in some countries and are
even more motivated to stop the smoking of cigarettes, pipes and cigars. Time will tell but it is a good start... :cat:

TrongpaiExpat
January 12th, 2008, 11:07
Heterosexuals having children and obese over-eaters have a far greater effect on global air quality than smokers having a few fags now and then

The logic of this statement escapes me. How do fat people and giving birth effect global air quality? Lets see, fat people consume more natural resources (food) and therefore produce more methane in the form of waste and farts thus impacting the quality of the air? Maybe they sweat more and give off gases, does Al Gore know about this?

thrillbill
January 12th, 2008, 12:36
Smokers and nonsmokers will be amazed how different the air quality will be in the bars and clubs when the band begins. In the States (where the larger cities have enforced the smoking band in bars), smokers just sit outside when they need their puff- no big deal. So I hope this means that when I hit DJ's or G.O.D. in Bkk my clothes will no longer reek of cigarette smoke from just standing inside of the clubs...and I will be able to breathe the next day. The challenge is: WILL THE NEW RULING BE ENFORCED?

By the way, according to one study (from the National Geographic Mag.) from 1998 to 2004 the U.S. tobacco companies upped the nicotine delivered in each puff by an average of 11 percent. As you know, nicotine induces the addiction to cigarettes. Thankyou FDA for looking out for America's health...

January 12th, 2008, 17:00
I'm not trying to find holes in this new law, but just say....you have air con, and it doesn't work. never has. Can you then smoke? Or if it's turned off and you say you cant afford to put it on. Will that break the Law?

I don't smoke, and have no problem with smokers, it just seems Thailand is doing what the rest of Europe are doing, and some parts of USA.

January 12th, 2008, 21:00
Somehow, I believe the police will see this as another opportunity to shake down people
and eventually people will get tired of having to pay off the police and/or the fines and get
the message.
Time will tell but it is a good start... :cat:

this is exactly what happened in bangladesh (where I lived and worked) - everyone thought "it will never get enforced" but in fact
the (law) enforcers saw a perfect opportunity to get a quick on the spot "fine" - as such people started to obey the ban rather than
cough up the cash - this may well be true for thailand...........

January 13th, 2008, 16:31
the message.If it means that people stop smoking in bars/pubs rather than pay a fine, I for one would be totally in favour of the BIB demanding tea money in this instance (the higher the amount the better !).

thaiworthy-old
January 14th, 2008, 02:04
Heterosexuals having children and obese over-eaters have a far greater effect on global air quality than smokers having a few fags now and then

The logic of this statement escapes me. How do fat people and giving birth effect global air quality? Lets see, fat people consume more natural resources (food) and therefore produce more methane in the form of waste and farts thus impacting the quality of the air? Maybe they sweat more and give off gases, does Al Gore know about this?

Maybe what Sister Sledgehammer means is that the breeders who are producing more children are having an effect on global air quality by the fact that the car an extra person adds by driving-- contributes that much more pollution. The trash they create also adds to pollution, and the processing of consumables: same same. One person does not seem like much, but when you multiply it by the many extra people in the world, it amounts to quite a bit. If the person is obese, he is living for up to two or more people that would contribute their share of pollution by the same means.

Conversely, a thin, gay person who doesn't drive and recycles his trash would be impacting the environment quite favorably.

The car exhaust alone produced by this extra person would be enough to make the pollution created by "few cigarettes now and then" practically negligible by comparison. Sister S is right.

Interesting.

January 14th, 2008, 08:12
It also gives the bar owners a reason to tell customers and staff not to smoke inside airconditioned bars and not be the bad guy. I believe the bar owner/restaurant owners get the fine in some countries and are even more motivated to stop the smoking of cigarettes, pipes and cigars. Time will tell but it is a good start... :cat:

Although as you have quite rightly said Cat, it will give owners a good reason to tell customers and staff not to smoke, I learned an even better reason for them to make sure no one lights up, whilst having a drink last night with Jimmy, the owner of Jim Jimmy James Go Go Bar in Sunee. (Great bar by the way for those that don't know it, with some very nice looking boys)

That reason is as Jimmy informed me, that if anyone is caught smoking in an air con bar from the 17Th of next month, although the "guilty" party will be fined 2000 Baht on the spot, the owner of the bar will also be fined, but in his case the fine will be 20,000 Baht. This will be an excellent way to swell the coffers of tea money, for what will undoubtedly become known as the "smoke police", in exactly the same way it has been such a nice little earner up to now, for the "music police".

Jimmy assures me he will be removing all of his ashtrays after the night of the 16Th February and whether I like it or not, I will be doing exactly the same. With the nice little earner that I have already stated that I expect it to become for those who will be given the responsibility of checking the bars, I believe that air con bars and clubs can expect visits from the very off, excuse the pun, when some in all probability, will least expect it.

So with that said, those of you here that have doubts about whether the new law will be enforced by the authorities, you will see from what I have said above, that it will be the bar owners themselves that will have no alternative, other than to enforce the new law for them. That is unless of course they are willing to pay whatever they can negotiate the 20,000 Baht fine down to.

Am I being cynical in my above statement? I don't think so, as from experience, this is exactly the way I think it will work. Watch this space to see if I am correct................

Chok Dee,

George. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/stoned.gif

January 14th, 2008, 11:45
The smoking ban has worked in Air Conditioned Restuarants in Thailand so the ban should work in the Clubs I do hope so.

TrongpaiExpat
January 14th, 2008, 12:19
The smoking ban has worked in Air Conditioned Restuarants in Thailand so the ban should work in the Clubs I do hope so.

No it hasn't. Some have ignored the law. I can name two, Sip on Surawong and Sphinx. Perhaps they considered themselves bars rather than air conditioned restaurants. Sphinx one day have ash trays on the tables and then on another day there are none, different managers, I don't know?

I wonder what Dick's and Balcony will do. They have air and fans inside but leave the entrance open to the outside seating area.

Aunty
January 14th, 2008, 15:27

Maybe what Sister Sledgehammer means is that the breeders who are producing more children are having an effect on global air quality by the fact that the car an extra person adds by driving-- contributes that much more pollution. The trash they create also adds to pollution, and the processing of consumables: same same. One person does not seem like much, but when you multiply it by the many extra people in the world, it amounts to quite a bit. If the person is obese, he is living for up to two or more people that would contribute their share of pollution by the same means.

Conversely, a thin, gay person who doesn't drive and recycles his trash would be impacting the environment quite favorably.

The car exhaust alone produced by this extra person would be enough to make the pollution created by "few cigarettes now and then" practically negligible by comparison. Sister S is right.

Interesting.

Well I think that is a very interesting idea but it sounds pretty far fetched and implausible to me. I don't think there is any evidence that obese people cause any more air pollution than their normal weight peers. The reason smoking is banned (as we all know) is because smoking kills most of those who come in long term contact with the combustion products of the tobacco plant. While smokers are (and should be) free to kill themselves through smoking at home, it is unfair and improper of them to expect to expose non-smokers to the serious long-term health risks (cancer, heart disease and stroke) of cigarette smoke wherever and whenever they like, particularly in shared spaces such as bars and restaurants. Smoking is a health and safety issue, not an air quality one!

Of course if you are concerned about global warming, green house gasses, air pollution etc., then a good place to start is by examining the cost that jet travel has on the planet. Those multiple trips that many of you have to Thailand each and every year are harming the environment and killing our planet. Do most of you actually realise that?

http://www.uneptie.org/pc/tourism/sust- ... global.htm (http://www.uneptie.org/pc/tourism/sust-tourism/env-global.htm)

January 14th, 2008, 15:31
It will be nice to not see the boys standing around and smoking. Maybe they will pay the customes a little more attention. But then they all may eb standing outside and smoking leaving the bar empty.

January 14th, 2008, 17:51
.......could it be that obese people suffer more from flatulence, and therefore do produce more of the greenhouse gas methane? :cyclopsani:

ofcourse gay people don't fart, right?! :geek:

thaiworthy-old
January 14th, 2008, 21:13
.......could it be that obese people suffer more from flatulence, and therefore do produce more of the greenhouse gas methane? :cyclopsani:

ofcourse gay people don't fart, right?! :geek:

I think Aunty is right. The idea of laying blame on heterosexuals seemed appealing to me. But the obese theory is far-fetched. I was just trying to explain what I thought Sister S. could have meant. That was the best I could come up with, but it did seem interesting. Next time I'll leave these explanations up to the OP.

The subject of this thread is the smoking ban, and yes, second-hand smoke is the real issue.

I don't smoke, but I do need to lose weight. I'm not sure flatulence is caused by how much you eat, but what you eat. Need to eat some more Thai food! (Preferably in Thailand).

January 14th, 2008, 21:34
No it hasn't. Some have ignored the law. I can name two, Sip on Surawong and Sphinx. Perhaps they considered themselves bars rather than air conditioned restaurants. Sphinx one day have ash trays on the tables and then on another day there are none, different managers, I don't know?

I wonder what Dick's and Balcony will do. They have air and fans inside but leave the entrance open to the outside seating area.
It was pointed out on a different boad that Sphinx apparently is classified as a pub, and not a restaurant. The current smoking ban does not apply to pubs, but the new ban will. The devil (and the smoke) is in the details.

January 17th, 2008, 17:51
Having survived the ban here in SIN for 6 months, I must ask you pub crawlers to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use DEODORANT. Without smoke, it is very clear if you're out in town drenched in Bod y'Odour. No fun dancing in DJ without nose plugs and spritzers.

January 17th, 2008, 18:55
Join the rest of the civilised world. The boy who spends the night smelling your ashtray hair will thank you.

SOME OF US SMOKERS actually shower before bed and in the morning and usually once during the day. More than I can say for some Chinese persons I have met, greasy haired, spitting in the street morons!

January 17th, 2008, 19:27

SOME OF US SMOKERS actually shower before bed and in the morning and usually once during the day. More than I can say for some Chinese persons I have met, greasy haired, spitting in the street morons!

After Hommie's rantings with regard to the racism he implied Auntie was guilty of, nothing I ever saw that was said by him, came anywhere close to being as racist, as that which the two of you are shamelessly displaying here. Get a room or take your shit somewhere else. I think I speak for the majority when I say, that it isn't wanted, or needed here. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/shake_head.gif

G.

January 18th, 2008, 04:09
After Hommie's rantings with regard to the racism he implied Auntie was guilty of, nothing I ever saw that was said by him, came anywhere close to being as racist, as that which the two of you are shamelessly displaying here. Get a room or take your shit somewhere else. I think I speak for the majority when I say, that it isn't wanted, or needed here. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/shake_head.gif
G.

No thanks... not into screwing ashtrays.

thrillbill
January 18th, 2008, 05:29
---Sometimes I think these forum end up being private chat rooms....ever notice how the topic ends up being off the subject after 6-7 entries by the same old people? :idea:

January 18th, 2008, 06:36

This was NOT a racist remark and I repeat " SOME Chinese persons I HAVE MET"
I was not generallising about the Cinese population. Take your insecurities somewhere else!

G.

January 18th, 2008, 06:36

This was NOT a racist remark and I repeat " SOME Chinese persons I HAVE MET"
I was not generallising about the Cinese population. Take your insecurities somewhere else!

G.

lonelywombat
January 18th, 2008, 06:49
Having survived the ban here in SIN for 6 months, I must ask you pub crawlers to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use DEODORANT. Without smoke, it is very clear if you're out in town drenched in Bod y'Odour. No fun dancing in DJ without nose plugs and spritzers.

It gets mentioned on talkback radio a lot now that smoking in hotels/bars has been banned for 6 months in OZ,

Cigarette smoke did hide a lot of other odours. Not only body odour but cigarette smoke on smokers clothes,

is now very noticeable. The main offenders are the heavy smokers who smoke whilst driving.

lonelywombat
January 18th, 2008, 06:49
duplicated please delete

January 19th, 2008, 13:44

It gets mentioned on talkback radio a lot now that smoking in hotels/bars has been banned for 6 months in OZ,

Cigarette smoke did hide a lot of other odours. Not only body odour but cigarette smoke on smokers clothes,

is now very noticeable. The main offenders are the heavy smokers who smoke whilst driving.

They shouldn't park their cars in the bar then!

January 19th, 2008, 13:47

Queensland was the forerunner of NO SMOKING in bars/pubs now well into it's second year, it has been reasonably well accepted. Although I am a smoker, I appreciate the benefits too.