PDA

View Full Version : where they are now

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 1st, 2008, 19:24
I know many of you have wondered where those greats of the British theatre got to..reading the letters page of an Aussie newspaper I came across this:

Fings ain't wot they used t'be

Readers half my age can remember when the BBC was the pride and joy of virtue. Every script was studied by a director for unsuitable language, and phrases such as "Not too cocksure"' and "I'll be damned" were on the banned list.
How life has changed in the 21st century. Last night I caught up with a program called The Catherine Tate Show, presented in Australia by the ABC, and full of language like I haven't heard since World War II, when I was in uniform.

Miss Tate turned the Australian air blue. She came out with phrases that were very funny but her language was shocking even after the so-called watershed time of 9.30pm - put out by both the ABC and the BBC as a cop-out.

I am not a paragon of virtue but I was once Britain's highest-paid entertainer and sometimes I wonder how standards have been allowed to fall so low.

I am not knocking it. I just wish I was back in the old routine.

Max Bygraves OBE Sanctuary Cove (Qld)
http://www.smh.com.au/letters/?page=4
and a friend excitedly emails me to tell me he just saw DES O'CONNOR walking down a Sydney street !! :cyclops:

thaiworthy-old
January 2nd, 2008, 02:42
Where's your dentist been lately, Doris?

Lunchtime O'Booze
January 2nd, 2008, 06:47
what dentist ? :drunken:

lonelywombat
January 4th, 2008, 05:24
I thought the Little Britain stage show that toured Australia in February, was the filthiest thing

I had ever seen on stage. Regardless of that I thought it also the funniest thing I had seen in decades.

I cannot wait for the next series that will be telecast on ABCTV at 9.30 of course

What was not mentioned in the press, was the Little Britain cast have become heroes to our local teenagers

and the arena was packed every show, with schoolies that knew all the characters and all the storylines

There was no censorship rating for the live show