PDA

View Full Version : Where the sex tourists are coming from

December 30th, 2007, 09:32
The Year-end 2007 edition of the Bangkok Post's Economic Review has a spread on tourist arrivals. There are a couple of "interesting" comments:
"Statistics show that around half of all visitors are repeat travellers," {non sequitur conclusion} "a fact that points to the country's attractiveness as a tourist destination"

Actually the TAT isn't that focussed on visitor numbersNo sirree. Next year they're aiming for a more realistic 5% increase

In the first nine months tourist arrivals were up 4% - the target was 7.5%. Arrivals from China, Singapore and Malaysia were all down sharply (and you can bet many of those Malaysian non-arrivals were cross-border sex tourists in the South, to Hat Yai and other places nearby). Proportionately the French (23.54%) and the Australians (25.11%) were the biggest increase, followed by tourists from the Middle East (16.25%) and India (16.67%). American arrivals were flat - I guess we can hope for a decline next time. Oh, and to boygeenyus' dismay (I hope), Suvarnabhumi Airport gets slammed in a number of articles

kjun12
December 30th, 2007, 14:03
Used it for the first time this year and cannot understand what all the bitching is about. It did not appear to be at all bad to me.

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 30th, 2007, 14:38
you haven't been here long have you ? :boxing:

December 30th, 2007, 16:28
I have been using the Suvarnabhumi Airport since it opened, and am another who has had very few problems. If you think lines are long and the walks are too far, then you are a spoiled traveler.

The lines here are MUCH less than in Hong Kong, Las Angles, Las Vegas, and San Francisco to name but a few, Hong Kong, with all their windows opened, had over 1-1/2 hours wait to enter the country. Macau was much the same.

The walks to various terminals at LAX make Bangkok look like a stroll in the park...and LAX has no moving sidewalks between terminals...you can walk or wait wait wait for s shuttle bus.

Anyway, I think you should enjoy the Suvarnabhumi Airport ... It could be much worse!

December 30th, 2007, 16:39
... that place is already falling down. Immigration lines, or the long walk from the gates to the baggage carousels (and v.v.) are just poor design for a modern airport. The lack of lavatories, the sub-standard building materials, the endless cobwebs, the cracked runways so some gates simply can't be used - there's a well-known list of infrastructure inadequacies that means that the airport isn't anytime soon going to attain its stated aim - "One of the Top Ten Airports in Asia". Those tourists passing through once in a blue moon probably don't notice such things, but the airport's main customers - the airlines and import/export agencies such as my company - are none too happy. Remember, it was never the original intention to reactivate Don Muang; Suvarnabhumi's inadequacies forced that on the AoT within a very few months of the new airport opening

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 30th, 2007, 17:30
how very Buddhist of them..at least the spiders have a good home. :munky2:

December 30th, 2007, 23:18
I've used Suvarnabhumi a number of times now, and I have to say I really have no complaints. I find the (spatial) design very beautiful, and I have had zero problems with queues or excessive walks. I much prefer it to Don Muang.

krobbie
December 31st, 2007, 01:53
On my last trip to Thailand the arrival was fine and they even had a wheeelchair at the plane for me in case I needed it (amputee - I didn't need the chair but took it all the same). Needless to say I went through customs/immigration quickly, quickly. Very nice.

On my departure, the cripples get called first but all that meant in actuality was, I went downstairs and on to a bus to the plane sitting far out from the airport proper. It would seem not enough air-bridges available. I thought that was pretty stink for a new airport. Just what someone with a prosthetic leg needs is lots of stairs ... NOT!

ned kelly-old
December 31st, 2007, 05:17
For what it's worth, HKG's Chek Lap Kok is widely lauded as one of the best.......however when it opened it had the same loud complaints about insufficient lavatories, poor baggage retrieval, long walks and insufficient air bridges. It still has long walks, and with the number of passengers and the size of planes very difficult to avoid, no matter what the design.

Hmmm
December 31st, 2007, 06:49
I have been using the Suvarnabhumi Airport since it opened, and am another who has had very few problems. If you think lines are long and the walks are too far, then you are a spoiled traveler.

The lines here are MUCH less than in Hong Kong, Las Angles, Las Vegas, and San Francisco to name but a few, Hong Kong, with all their windows opened, had over 1-1/2 hours wait to enter the country. Macau was much the same.

The walks to various terminals at LAX make Bangkok look like a stroll in the park...and LAX has no moving sidewalks between terminals...you can walk or wait wait wait for s shuttle bus.

Anyway, I think you should enjoy the Suvarnabhumi Airport ... It could be much worse!

Suvarnabhumi is a spectacular piece of architecture, but woefully dysfunctional for a NEW airport that was stretched to its limits from the day it opened.

Comparing it to LAX - one of the oldest and worst major airports in the western world - is not a legitimate comparison.

I haven't experienced long immigration delays at HKG, but hit them every time at Suvarnabhumi when the late evening jumbos arrive.

The arrivals hall and check-in halls at HKG are so much better designed than BKK. The BKK landside arrivals 'hall' (actually more like a corridor) is a disgrace.

While fortunately I spend more time in the airport lounges than at the gates, the gates have the same shocking 'barn-like' design as the oldest gates at Don Muang.

And how many departure bottlenecks can one airport have ? Immigration, concourse scanners, gate scanners / bag searches (presumably because the airlines don't trust AOT), gate check-in, air-bridge boarding pass check, ....

Surely airport design is mature enough now that you'd just copy what works elsewhere (Changi, HKG, etc) and leave out what doesn't. Granted Suvarnabhumi was designed by a Chicago firm, but it's not clear where the locals cut corners on the original design.

December 31st, 2007, 07:32
At Suvarnabhumi airport, passengers go through security only to find that the bathrooms are behind them so if they need to use the bathroom they have to exit and pass through security again with the bag searches etc. Then they must wait on the long long upper level walkway an hour or more where there are benches seating only six people, for a 600 passenger flight. Fifteen minutes before the flight they are finally allowed to go down the steps to the boarding lounge where there are enough seats for all. Then they board the flight almost immediately. Incredible.

December 31st, 2007, 08:42
I've used Suvarnabhumi a number of times now, and I have to say I really have no complaints. I find the (spatial) design very beautiful, and I have had zero problems with queues or excessive walks. I much prefer it to Don Muang.Gosh - you mean you prefer an airport built in the last couple of years to one that's 50 years old? What's the world coming to?

January 1st, 2008, 08:27
The lines here are MUCH less than in Hong Kong

Total Bollocks. I flew into Hong Kong last Thursday. There were two people in front of me at Immigration and my baggage was on the carousel by the time I got there. I could make a complimentary local call from the baggage hall, walk through the terminal, buy a ticket for the downtown train before leaving the "passengers only" area and get a complimentary bus to my hotel from the downtown station.

It beats arrival at Bangkok Airport into a cocked hat.

January 1st, 2008, 11:01
I think some people go hunting for problems.

Im in and out of the airport as quick as i possibly can to get to current BS.

On departure i`m usually very tired, so after a quick bite to eat and a smoke im into the departure lounge with me book and trying to stay awake for boarding.

On arrival i go straight for the smoking room, then a pee, then off to find driver at the prearranged exit. Never had a long wait at immigration etc yet.( been through at least a dozen times).

Im not looking for 4 star service, its my arrival and departure place for several weeks in paradise. I usually sleep all the way there and home too. I tire myself out before flying so i can sleep most of the flights and my ciggie craving doesn`t drive me mad lol

The saying "familiarity breeds contempt" might have some truth in it.

gumblebee
January 1st, 2008, 23:14
At Suvarnabhumi airport, passengers go through security only to find that the bathrooms are behind them
In my (limited) experience, all boarding lounges had a drinking fountain and bathrooms (only M/F though :bounce: ). There are no other facilities in these holding pens though. Of course if you couldn't access boarding lounges until actual boarding time... Never had this problem though.

For me, the main problem at Suvarnabhumi airport is that - to play it safe - you need to pass security well on time. After security the only thing to do is wait on the upper level walkway or pass through the boarding check and wait in the holding pens.

This saves passengers a lot of money because they have to race throught the tax-free shops and bars to be certain to pass security on time. :clown:

I much prefer the layout at Kuala Lumpur airport, where the security check is for every gate individually, you have to pass only a single security check which can be tailored to any specific requirements needed for your flight.

My main reason for this preference as that it mostly eliminates the risk of missing your flight due to excessive waits at security. This allows you to minimize time in the holding pen, thus diminishing the issue of limited facilities (KL really has no bathrooms after security), and incoming and outgoing passengers are mixed. Sometimes you can enter an unused boarding lounges to sit there.

gumblebee
January 1st, 2008, 23:17
Huh, my reply got added to the wrong thread?