PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Scams

gearguy
December 29th, 2007, 03:20
http://www.bangkokscams.com/

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 29th, 2007, 20:21
well that's what I thought it was going to be about..instead I get a startling report :

from John 'Drugged Twice"
Twice I've been drugged with coffee and robbed after going with a girl I didn't know. . Cost me a lot of money.

and Thomas:
I was ripped off by a girl. We went to a room and the next thing i know i took a nap. I opened my eyes and my cash was gone but cel phone was there. Thank good i did not have my passport. I knew i was gonna be wilh a questionable girl and left it at hotel. But I never thought id be drugged. - When I woke up she feigned stupid. she had NO money - she did not take. lol- She did not even have the $500 Baht I gave her.

Thomas thinks she was stupid !! :cyclopsani:

Homintern please note : from Mark:
My girlfriend and I just got back from Surin Beach where we are 99% sure we were drugged unsuccessfully by an older 'supposedly Australian' couple.

others may prefer this : Boy Scout Scam :geek:

allieb
December 30th, 2007, 02:22
What a load of fun reading the scams of Thailand I didn't know there were such stupid people around.
My favorite is the Thai girl scam one poster answered with a story about her own husband who went out for a beer and ended up being drugged by a whore and date raped with rohipnol.
Oh my god !!!! aren't the breeders stupid, thanks I am gay and although having been taken for a short ride from time to time. I've never been taken by any of the mentioned scams.

Hmmm
December 30th, 2007, 07:31
The Tourism Authority of Thailand must be very proud that there is such a website devoted to "Amazing Thailand".

Most of the reports are not about silly breeders, just unrelenting tourist scams operating under the noses of the authorities for years, eg ...
http://www.bangkokscams.com/undercover/ ... ngkok.html (http://www.bangkokscams.com/undercover/tourist-scams-in-bangkok.html)

How does one reconcile the supposed Thai respect for HMK (and the expectation of the same from farangs) with the fact that tourists have been ripped off outside the Grand Palace for years ?

December 31st, 2007, 14:37
Land Of Scams?[/b]

sydneyboy
January 5th, 2014, 08:21
My personal favourite was reported on the Cruising for Sex site. This foreigner met a go go boy and invited him to the country to visit his mother. On arrival Mum announced her fridge was broken and could he buy a new one. He agreed. The boy said he would write the foreigners' name in texta on the side of the fridge so he could remember him and his ''love''. The foreigner was later left alone in the house and a quick inventory detected that every appliance and every stick of furniture in the house had the name of a foreigner marked discretely in texta. A classic story and proof that the truth is stranger than fiction.

christianpfc
January 5th, 2014, 21:19
This foreigner met a go go boy and invited him to the country to visit his mother.

I was wondering why the the gogo would visit the foreigner's mother in the foreigner's home country. But then I realized that the English language is not clear in this matter, this sentence is ambiguous, and from context it is meant this way:

This foreigner met a go go boy and the gogo boy invited the foreigner to the country to visit the gogo boy's mother.

(texta = marker pen (in Australia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marker_pen)

sydneyboy
January 5th, 2014, 21:42
Thank you for correcting my English. The first sentence was ambiguous. As for these so called ''scams'' the ''victims'' could take the advice of the American writer Ann Landers ''Nobody can take advantage of you without your permission".

lego
January 5th, 2014, 21:45
My personal favourite was reported on the Cruising for Sex site. This foreigner met a go go boy and invited him to the country to visit his mother. On arrival Mum announced her fridge was broken and could he buy a new one. He agreed. The boy said he would write the foreigners' name in texta on the side of the fridge so he could remember him and his ''love''. The foreigner was later left alone in the house and a quick inventory detected that every appliance and every stick of furniture in the house had the name of a foreigner marked discretely in texta. A classic story and proof that the truth is stranger than fiction.
Just why do you consider this a scam? If anything, it's a very transparent use of donations.

sydneyboy
January 5th, 2014, 23:35
It was not all that ''transparent''. Sneaky more like it. I have read that foreigners are referred to among the working boys as walking ATM's. That says it all.

bucknaway
January 5th, 2014, 23:47

That reminds me of an old joke.

A guy and his girlfriend were trying to save money for a trip and it was decided that when they had sex he would put money in the piggybank. So for month he would put money in the bank after sex. $5 here and $2 there and after a few month they broke open the bank and $20, $50, and $100 dollar bills spilled out! The guy was in shock and said "wow, I've only been adding $1, and $5's! How did we get so much money?

His girlfriend said in a huff, "Not everyone is as cheap,as you!"

Yraen
January 6th, 2014, 04:05
@sydneyboy

The "walking ATMs" name is applied to 'johns" in Sydney also. Doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy? :)

January 6th, 2014, 09:41
My personal favourite was reported on the Cruising for Sex site. This foreigner met a go go boy and invited him to the country to visit his mother. On arrival Mum announced her fridge was broken and could he buy a new one. He agreed. The boy said he would write the foreigners' name in texta on the side of the fridge so he could remember him and his ''love''. The foreigner was later left alone in the house and a quick inventory detected that every appliance and every stick of furniture in the house had the name of a foreigner marked discretely in texta. A classic story and proof that the truth is stranger than fiction.And not even a scam.

lego
January 6th, 2014, 17:49
It was not all that ''transparent''. Sneaky more like it. I have read that foreigners are referred to among the working boys as walking ATM's. That says it all.
Still, my question stands, how is this a scam? Working boys work for money and other material gains, big surprise there. Not. Assuming that the old fridge was actually broken and that the guy bought a new one because he wanted to help his new friend and his family, he wasn't tricked out of his money in any way. The only problem seems to be that he assumed that he was the only one privileged enough to be invited to this boy's home, thus it's nothing but his own mindset and expectations that fooled him.

Let's assume another, slightly different scenario: A boy tells one of his customers that his mobile phone is broken, the customer who is desperate to keep in touch with him takes him to MBK and buys him a posh new mobile. The very next day, the customer gone, said boy resumes using his old phone and takes the "treasured gift" back to the shop, where he gets "his" money back, minus a cut for the helpful shop keeper. THAT you could call a scam.

sydneyboy
January 7th, 2014, 01:41
The scenario goes something like this. Boy meets foreigner, declares ''love', home to meet Mum. Every foreigner is confronted with a ''broken'' fridge, washing machine, TV, micro wave, dish washer, sofa, dining table. You name it. Boy writes name of foreigner on item concerned as to remember him and their 'love''. I will not mince words. Anyone who does not consider that a scam deserves a similar fate on their next Thailand adventure.

lukylok
January 7th, 2014, 02:41
But it is not a scam.
There is nothing fraudulous in asking help to buy a piece of hardware/furniture.
If you are really penny pinching, you can refuse.
It all depends on how much you like the boy.
I would guess that with your attitude, you're not likely to be asked in the family and so, not be faced with that question.

whitemouse
January 15th, 2014, 04:25
Nope, not a scam. If a foreigner decides to buy new fridge for the family, where is the scam, please?
If the Thai guy took the foreigner to some local appliances store, knowing the store owner has a small side business going on, foreigner paid with Visa, shop owner copied the card, and foreigners cloned Visa card got maxed in Netherlands the same evening, that is a scam.

What happened in this boring fridge story, is some dumb foreigner bought a fridge for some Thais. Thats it. No scam.

The scenario goes something like this. Boy meets foreigner, declares ''love', home to meet Mum. Every foreigner is confronted with a ''broken'' fridge, washing machine, TV, micro wave, dish washer, sofa, dining table. You name it. Boy writes name of foreigner on item concerned as to remember him and their 'love''. I will not mince words. Anyone who does not consider that a scam deserves a similar fate on their next Thailand adventure.

whitemouse
January 15th, 2014, 04:30
That is probably one of the mildest, most polite terms they have for us. Besides, the atm term.. it is accurate.