PDA

View Full Version : Back home but wish I wasn't

kjun12
December 28th, 2007, 23:25
I have just returned to the states after 2 great months in Thailand. Only wished I could have stayed longer.

Certainly I am on the short end of the stick with you guys but I remain one who does not care for Pattaya. What you find so great about this place baffles me. All I can see is a sex den with little else to offer.

What am I missing?

Jetsam
December 29th, 2007, 00:17
If you want temples , tropical bounty beaches, mountains , decency then Pattaya is not for you.
If you want fun, good looking willing boys then Pattaya is the place to be.

I could not care less for temples , tropical bounty beaches or decency.

Fun is all I want.

jolyjacktar
December 29th, 2007, 01:06
Jetsam i agree with you. I done the temple and sights bit about 14 years ago now so for me Pattaya is Thailand. Ok some will say its too seedy but the more the better

TrongpaiExpat
December 29th, 2007, 01:21
Jetsam i agree with you. I done the temple and sights bit about 14 years ago now so for me Pattaya is Thailand. Ok some will say its too seedy but the more the better

Most would agree that Pattaya is not Thailand, even those who love it. It's a farang ghetto, tourist sea side (on the cheap side) resort with a lot of decent opportunities to engage in cheap prostitution---not that that's a bad thing. Food is decent and cheap. Transportation decent and cheap. It's cheap that's the bottom line.

You can always go to Pattaya, find a boy, and take him off as a travel companion to what ever destination you might like.

dave_tf-old
December 29th, 2007, 05:14
or you can do like I usually do and find a guy elsewhere and take him to Pattaya for a shared holiday.

Pattaya is to Thailand what Disneyworld is to America. Bangkok is to Thailand what London is to England.

For me, it's OK in smaller doses as a holiday-within-a-holiday, but after two or three days on the beach and in the bars, I'm always ready to move on. To each his own.

dab69
December 29th, 2007, 08:56
chaing mai sounds boring, phuket far away and more expensive.

bangkok is just plain crazy with the heat and traffic.
I can only last 3-4 days theere.

after thirty hours of planes and airports I can go no further.
two hours in a car I get a nice beach and go go bars

ok they get boring after a while.
but by then it's too late to get
a visa for vietnam and check out a whole new country

doesn't sound like you will ever go back.
not a big problem for me.

December 29th, 2007, 12:49
kjun12........you were in Thailand 2 months and regret now being back home. And in the same breath you bad mouth Pattaya to the extreme.

My question..........where then did you spend your 2 months? Surely it was not in Pattaya for a long period if you dislike it that much.
And where do intend to spend your time on the return you look forward to?

TrongpaiExpat
December 29th, 2007, 13:05
after thirty hours of planes and airports I can go no further.
two hours in a car I get a nice beach and go go bars

"Nice Beach" ? Surly, your not calling Jomtiem a nice beach? It's a collection of chairs on a polluted sea with food service and boys here and there. Well, maybe that is nice! OK, I am off tomorrow for a few days visit to this not nice beach.

December 29th, 2007, 17:27
What am I missing?The Germans?

Smiles
December 30th, 2007, 08:56
They're all down here in Hua Hin. With most of their clothes off. There outta be a law.

Cheers ...

kjun12
December 30th, 2007, 14:12
Hey guy, if you like the place then that is fine. According to the responses to my original post it is what I thought it is. A place for raw sex and little else. It that is all you are seeking then fine. It's your spot. I prefer to travel around checking out the other things Thailand has to offer.

allieb
December 30th, 2007, 15:33
What other things does Thailand have to offer poofs / fags. Bollocks to the temples and all that shit I have been to Thailand about a dozen times in the past 4 years. I have only seen all the B's( bars, booze, boys bums, beaches and bedrooms.) Each to his own but why after traveling all that way to Thailand waste valuable fucking time. After all most of us eldersexuals on this board couldn't get a dog to bark at us in our own country.

December 30th, 2007, 16:07
What other things does Thailand have to offer poofs / fags. .............
After all most of us eldersexuals on this board couldn't get a dog to bark at us in our own country.

And therein lies the reason that so many gays have such a small spectrum of interests. Unless everything is gay orientated and they can visit places where young guys will, for a financial consideration, give these wizended old farangs the good times that they would never have a hope of achieving back in their own countries then they have no interest in what Thailand has to offer.

Living with such a narrow outlook on life must make for a very restrictive social life outside of the brothels that these sex tourists frequent. One only has to look at the postings of self admiration and mutual back slapping to see what boring existences that some forum members live.

December 30th, 2007, 16:21
I have just returned to the states after 2 great months in Thailand. Only wished I could have stayed longer.

Certainly I am on the short end of the stick with you guys but I remain one who does not care for Pattaya. What you find so great about this place baffles me. All I can see is a sex den with little else to offer.

What am I missing?

You are missing the closed mind that so many sex tourists to this amazing land have and not having that closed mind is enabling you to see Thailand for what it is. Not just as a place for desperate old farangs to live out their last few miserable years buying favours from the local guys in a futile attempt to boost their own egos in their twighlight years.

There is an interesting comparison when looking at photos of guys in girlie/boy bars at the difference in ages that those bars attract. The majority of photos from gay bars/events show crinkled elderly farangs looking miserable and appearing to be in the final stages of life whilst the girlie bar photos mainly show fit young guys enjoying themselves.

December 30th, 2007, 16:23
... this amazing land ...Do tell - what is it you think Amazing Thailand has to offer?

allieb
December 30th, 2007, 16:46
What other things does Thailand have to offer poofs / fags. .............
After all most of us eldersexuals on this board couldn't get a dog to bark at us in our own country.

And therein lies the reason that so many gays have such a small spectrum of interests. Unless everything is gay orientated and they can visit places where young guys will, for a financial consideration, give these wizended old farangs the good times that they would never have a hope of achieving back in their own countries then they have no interest in what Thailand has to offer.

Living with such a narrow outlook on life must make for a very restrictive social life outside of the brothels that these sex tourists frequent. One only has to look at the postings of self admiration and mutual back slapping to see what boring existences that some forum members live.

And do tell what this wonderful place Thailand has to offer. I have done all the cultural things in other countries that have a wonderful history and well perserved places and monuments.
Been there done that and when I go to the biggest whorehouse in the world I enjoy it for what it is. I suppose you are one of these people who like to be in Thailand and be soooo pretentious. You are a punter like the rest of us. And what are you if you are not a wizened old farang and what brings you to Thailand? The honesty

December 30th, 2007, 17:55
[quote="allieb"[. You are a punter like the rest of us. And what are you if you are not a wizened old farang and what brings you to Thailand? The honesty[/quote]

Seems like I have to be the bearer of honest bad news for you!

I was born in Thailand and apart from a few years in the UK as a child I have lived in Thailand ever since. I have dual Thai/British nationality and have been in Bangkok since the 70's.

What keeps me here rather than brings me here is that I have a business and home in Bangkok, friends, a great social and personal life and no need or desire to crawl around the bars and clubs seeking out company. Wizended?, Old?, maybe when I reach my 60th birthday more than a decade hence I will start to thinking about old age.

As for both you and Homi' wondering what Thailand has to offer, that demonstrates my point about closed minds not being able to see further than anything that is solely gay orientated. If neither of you are able to see beyond the gay clubs and bother to explore Thailand for yourselves you will never appreciate the many facets that bring so many non-sex tourists to the Kingdom.

I suggest that as a New Year's resolution you both visit the Amazing Thailand tourist website and publications and then make a real effort to travel and see the real Thailand rather than the artificial make- believe world that you both appear to exist in. But then of course you would be dissapointed to find that the real Thailand is not the den of iniquity that you crave.

December 30th, 2007, 23:36
I like both I have to say in all honesty - I do see Pattaya as being a very unique part of Thailand - I don't think the fact that virtually the entire economy of the city is, in some shape or form, based on sex tourism, makes it any less or unworthy a part of thailand - even in the "centre" of the city in the back sois I see thai life going on very much as it does in every other urban area in the Kingdom. Wat Chai is as beautiful a Temple as any other. But, there are other parts of Thailand I have had the privilege of seeing, and I loved every part - from deserted beaches in the south, to small villages in the north west heading to the Myanmar border. Thai culture is amazingly rich, distinct and diverse, undiluted in many ways, as the Kingdom was never colonised by the European powers. Truly it is a giant of the Asian cultures. But surely, a part of that distinct Thai culture is their very different attitude to the sexual needs of the human! So while I am happy to admit that I am a fascinated and constantly trying to expand my understanding of Thai culture, I also admit that I enjoy Pattaya with its laid back holiday-town feel, where ageism, sexism, racism, discrimination etc all seem irrelevant and far-removed - I wish every city in the world could say the same...........

January 1st, 2008, 02:41
...... so many gays have such a small spectrum of interests. Unless everything is gay orientated and they can visit places where young guys will, for a financial consideration, give these wizended old farangs the good times that they would never have a hope of achieving back in their own countries then they have no interest in what Thailand has to offer.

... and in an earlier thread you accused me of being "unkind"!

I live near Pattaya as I find it gives me the benefits of having excellent general shopping, international standard hospitals and veterinarians, good beaches (such as Ban Chang, Mabthaphut and Sattahip), good sports facilities, etc, with none of the disadvantages of living in a big city, at a very reasonable cost. To have my refuse collected, for example, costs me 240 baht a year whereas 15 years ago in the UK my local rates were 1,200 pounds (72,000 baht).

Although I am around the same age as you, I chose to retire here some 15 years ago, having been fortunate enough to have spent most of my adult working life all around the world. My social life does not centre around the "brothels" in Pattaya, in fact it is several monhs since I have been in a bar of any description and as I am in a long term relationship I have not availed myself of any of the services available for several years.

I, personally, find I have little in common with the "wizened old farangs" you refer to whose lives centre around the gay bars / Dongtan beach, etc, but I see no reason to deride them, as you do. On the contrary, if they are happy with the lives they lead now - no matter how "artificial" their world may be - they are very fortunate.

While you claim to have "no need or desire to crawl around the bars and clubs" this is belied by how well informed your posts indicate you are about them; before you belittle others, try taking a good long look in the mirror. While you may well not see a "wizened old farang", neither will you see a youthful attractive Thai; you may not see "a punter like the rest of us" (allieb), but others certainly would.

fedssocr
January 1st, 2008, 06:24
I am also back home and wish I wasn't in some ways (my trip was only 3 weeks), but am happily looking forward to planning my next trip.

As for Pattaya, I have softened my view of the place a little bit after a second visit. Yes, it is vulgar and crazy and boozy and sexy. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Yes there are a lot of older (much older) guys there, most of whom don't look especially happy sitting with young Thai guys who look just as unhappy for the most part, neither of them able to communicate very well with the other based on their different languages and cultural references. But if the redistribution of wealth is being done willingly by both parties I don't see much room to complain. I may well be one of those older guys one day, but I hope I will at least look like I am having a good time. :-)

For me, Thailand is so much more than sex. Sure, the temples all start to look alike, but they are rather beautiful and worth a visit. The history is fascinating and complex for such a relatively small country. The countryside can be very beautiful and unlike anything we have in the West. The people are so incredibly kind and nice and friendly. The music scene is thriving and diverse. Thailand has some very well-preserved Khmer temples that, while not exactly rivaling the stupendous Angkor Wat, are astounding in their own right. And Thailand is also a good jumping off point to visit neighboring countries that are interesting in their own right.

I suppose if you have no interest in those things and just want to get laid as much as possible Pattaya is as good a place to be as any. But I like to mix some culture with my libido exercise.

January 1st, 2008, 11:03
They're all down here in Hua Hin. With most of their clothes off. There outta be a law.

Cheers ...

Oh lordy - that brought a huge grin to my face. Smiles for president!

January 1st, 2008, 12:06
As for both you and Homi' wondering what Thailand has to offer, that demonstrates my point about closed minds not being able to see further than anything that is solely gay orientated. If neither of you are able to see beyond the gay clubs and bother to explore Thailand for yourselves you will never appreciate the many facets that bring so many non-sex tourists to the Kingdom.I've lived here for 20 years so I know what Thailand has to offer. You were asserting it has much to offer as an amazing tourist destination, so I was hoping you would share those thoughts with Forum members so they might know how to spend their days and nights, rather than in grubby sex bars