PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions......

catawampuscat
December 28th, 2007, 06:53
It is that time of the year, when many of us make our resolutions to change behavior for the upcoming year.

Topping most lists will be weight reduction and starting an exercise regime.
Alcohol consumption and smoking and drug usage changes are usually in the top 5.
Studying and learning the Thai language is another favorite..
Maybe, finally making a financial contribution to Sawatdee Gay Thailand is on your list.

Living in a place like Pattaya/Jomtien, ones list can vary from the average gay man in his mid life or older.
I am thinking that not going out every nite of the week might be top of my list.
Next, might be spreading the wealth more evenly, which translates as fucking more guys and not just the same
lucky group of regulars.
Lastly, trying to forgive some of the assholes I used to think of as friends and now hold in utter contempt. Nobody
actively posting on this forum is on this short list. Time helps as one forgets the backstabbing, the deceit, the lies
the games, but on second thought I will wait until next year's resolutions to work on this one.. :idea:

Happy New Year and a Healthy Year of NOT Acting our Ages........ :cat:

Anyone thinking of their short list yet?

GayThailand
December 28th, 2007, 09:26
Reading your post sounds like my last yearтАЩs resolution. I did forgive some of the assholes I used to think of as friends and now even though I should hold in utter contempt, they are insignificant to me. Time helps as one forgets the backstabbing, the deceit, the lies, the games, (the gossip) etc. I assure you, it is a resolution worth achieving. However, it is not an easy path as your heart must be in the right place. Good luck to you on this endeavor Catawampus. It seems like such a noble adventure. I am sure you will be a much happier once you have let go of the past and move on to the future.

As for me, I just plan to eat less apple pie with ice cream, drive more convertibles, walk in the snow with my high heels on and laugh and smile as much as I can and get more frequent flier miles than ever before. That to me is also a good start to the New Year.

Smiles
December 28th, 2007, 09:40
" ... As for me, I just plan to eat less apple pie with ice cream, ... "
I thought that was already part of your daily life under the new exercise and diet plan you described, what, about a year ago?

You seem to do very well on that for awhile . . . but what's the story a year on (if not more)?
I think I asked this same question a few months after you posted the original weight loss plan, and the response was quite positive. How about now? Did you stick with it? Did you abandon it? Did you 'partly' stick with it? What do weigh now compared to this time last year?

I'd be interested to know, only because the statistics on 'keeping things up' with such diet and exercise plans are so depressing . . . . off in the 90% area in favour(?) of abandonment.
I hope you are not one of 'em.

Cheers ....

GayThailand
December 28th, 2007, 09:50
" ... As for me, I just plan to eat less apple pie with ice cream, ... "
I thought that was already part of your daily life under the new exercise and diet plan you described, what, about a year ago?

You seem to do very well on that for awhile . . . but what's the story a year on (if not more)?
I think I asked this same question a few months after you posted the original weight loss plan, and the response was quite positive. How about now? Did you stick with it? Did you abandon it? Did you 'partly' stick with it? What do weigh now compared to this time last year?

I'd be interested to know, only because the statistics on 'keeping things up' with such diet and exercise plans are so depressing . . . . off in the 90% area in favour(?) of abandonment.
I hope you are not one of 'em.

Cheers ....

Well, yes it is a part of the daily life. I have done well and kept it all off. Shocking isn't it? I still run every day and I still workout with a trainer 3 days a week. I should have picked the trainer differently but I picked the hottest guy in the club. I thought he was just a cute face. In fact, he is a very good trainer and has been great to work with. I stopped my former diet and started on the Zone Diet Delivery. It is delivered to my apartment daily by 5AM and includes 3 meals and 2 snacks and is 1700 calories. I have enjoyed this as it means I don't have to cook or eat out as often. I do enjoy eating out with friends on occasion but I don't obsess over what I can or cannot eat. So, I when I am out, I eat what I want and try to work harder the next day to work it off.

To date, I have lost almost 100 pounds. I was close to the 100 mark when I was in Rio a few months back but it turned out to be a bad choice and I put on a few pounds there instead of loosing. But, I am still between 90-100 pounds lighter (it varies from week to week but has not jumped over the 100). I have about 15-20 that I need to loose and that is really the hardest part for me.

Thanks for thinking of me. I will try to keep going but no one knows the future. I could slip and fall any day but it is a daily struggle and I do keep trying. That is all I can do. ;)

Smiles
December 28th, 2007, 09:56
Then congratulations are certainly due.

Losing 100 pounds and keeping them off is quite a feat. Very glad to hear the latest news on this (very common) problem is still in the positive.

Cheers ...

francois
December 28th, 2007, 11:56
My first resolution is to drink more champagne francais while in Pattaya; it is the cheapest form of wine at Friendship Market.
My second resolution is not post while drinking champagne.

krobbie
December 28th, 2007, 14:38
My first resolution is to drink more champagne francais while in Pattaya; it is the cheapest form of wine at Friendship Market.

... oh, go on. You know you want to.

Also to GayThailand ...bloody excellent. That is a mammoth achievement. Happy New Year. Stay off the sauce. It puts on more pounds than pie and ice cream, I swear.

Cheers

PinkSilom
December 28th, 2007, 16:20
I thought I'd share this delightful passage with you. It was first published on 1st January 2003 in the New York Times:

'Today may mean a cornucopia of college football or a chance to recover from New Year's Eve. But looking at a new calendar makes it clear, as nothing else can, that the year is a vessel full of only so many days and that one's life is a vessel full of only so many years. Seen that way, a new calendar naturally looks like a moral proposition.
It occurs to nearly everyone, sooner or later, to wonder why we measure out our lives in years. The good answers are astronomical and cultural, but they're really not good enough, as answers go. The fact is that in the strange business of being human, nearly the strangest thing of all is the consciousness of time. How can a year seem so short and so long all at once, like the one that ended last night?

Looking ahead, it's possible to say that the coming year, 2003, will contain 365 days. It's impossible to say, from here, just how long they'll take. It's impossible, really, even to say how it got to be 2003.'

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 28th, 2007, 17:14
"Alcohol consumption and smoking and drug usage changes are usually in the top 5"..certainly are with me and I vow in 2008..I will increase both alcohol and drug consumption and continue the lifetime practice of never having lit a cigarette !

( I lie of course..when I was 13 my Aunt gave a packet of Sobranie Cocktail cigarettes and like the little fag I was..I lit and smoked every fag in the pack until I was hideously sick for a week..and never touched another..smart lady)

Other resolutions include..
1. I will not go on a diet !!..at my age you start to wither away and shrink..so why help it along ??

2. I will seriously consider donating to the Sawatdee forum..and if I remember I will actually do it this time. ( ElaphantSpike ..for God's sake remind me..charity is one of my only pleasures these days but the mind is going)

3. I will drink more champagne than francois. (easy peasy)

4. I will try to have a fraction of the sex Rainwalker does..( though I don't really care)

5. errr.. I can't remember the rest.

PinkSilom
December 28th, 2007, 18:57
'I will not cut, modify, and paste as many Sawatdee Forum postings in 2008 as I have this year.'

Good! You come across as a reasonably bright chap. I'm sure your own comment and opinion would be of much more interest to forum members.

Happy New Year.

December 28th, 2007, 23:53

Oh, you're my kind of guy Fanny! :thumbright:

My one serious resolution is to get off my lazy butt and learn to speak Thai. :blah5:

francois
December 29th, 2007, 00:12
GayThailand[/b] ...bloody excellent. That is a mammoth achievement. Cheers

Krobbie, Was that a pun about GayThailand and a mammoth?

krobbie
December 29th, 2007, 01:43
GayThailand[/b] ...bloody excellent. That is a mammoth achievement. Cheers

Krobbie, Was that a pun about GayThailand and a mammoth?

It took so long for anyone to notice I had almost given up. Bright chap ... have a glass of fizz on that.

Cheers

catawampuscat
December 29th, 2007, 07:13
Isn't it a bit tacky to make mammoth jokes when someone has lost so much fat.?
I was also successful losing a slab of fat (around 20 kilos) and am fortunate to still be keeping most of it off.
It is difficult to lose the last 5 or 6 Kilos and slippage is always there just waiting for any excuse to
put the weight back on. Exercise is the key and of course self control.

I have had success with appetite reducing pills but they are only an aid and not a miracle. I have
previously described my success with Reduce-15, which is an Indian made generic available cheaply
in Thailand. (Search Reduce-15 on this forum if you are interested as it was detailed there.)

I was concerned about flabby stretched out skin but am fortunate not to need a tummy tuck or have
skin cut off.
Nothing uglier than drooping old skin hanging likes curtains on ones stomach/abs but
many years of extra fat often necessitate surgery, if the skin loses its elastic properties.
Tummy tuck sounds cute but it is major surgery and can leave ugly scars or even worse, if complications
ensue. Almost better to be grossly overweight, if you can't take your clothes off without covering the mirrors first.
Losing a hundred pounds quickly might not give the skin time to un-stretch and I believe being younger helps as
ones skin loses its elastic properties with age. At least tummy tucks are relatively cheap in Thailand and one might
as well lift the butt and face at the same time. Oh the price and pain of beauty !! :cat:

bing
December 29th, 2007, 08:13
Well I usually pass on the idea of New Years Resolutions, but some of you have actually inspired me to think of the next year and what I really want to do in it. While I am slow to call these resolutions, I like the ideas of some, for example, coughing up a few baht for the running of this affair. Also I will make no promises to self about food. If I have the good fortune to be on a delightful cruise in the warmer climes, I certainly will not not pass up a crepe, a souffle, or even a mousse avec grand marnier. I may walk a bit more, but no promises as in past years, that after the first week of the new year seem to fall flat. I like the one who suggested he get a bunch of frequent flier miles, I like that and while I don't chalk up huge amounts, a trip here an there does seem to add up after a while. I think I will take a few more days of vacation this year, after all is done on this earth, I would hate to tell St. Peter, "I just did not take enough time off for vacations this past year." Ah, I also liked reading about reading more space novels, hmmm seems I have most of the ones with dragons already, but I'm sure there are a few more out there. Just saw an Ann MaCaffrey one I had not looked at before. So that might be a real resolution, I can keep, read some more delightful novels this year.....enough I don't even like resolutions.

Smiles
December 29th, 2007, 10:43
" ... My one serious resolution is to get off my lazy butt and learn to speak Thai .... "
Oh god, hear hear.
Nothing makes one lazier than having a reasonably fluent english-speaking Thai guy welded to one's hip in times of need ... which is naturally, 100 times a day.

So far, my vocab has improved, having lately learned (and use) words such as: 'toast', 'prawn', 'VERY fat farang', the subtle difference between 'panang' and 'panung', 'milk', the (important) difference between ordering 'kao pad gai' and 'kao pho gai', using 'narm plow' in stead of just 'narm', as I used to ... etc etc etc.

But "learning a language" and simply learning useful words are universes apart, and I'm afraid for the former I'll have to first learn how to travel at the speed of light ... "at-my-age". Having Him at my side don't help!

I'll get serious one of these days. I think.

Cheers ...

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 29th, 2007, 12:16
why not send a Thai to language school instead ?

Aunty
December 29th, 2007, 12:32
Isn't it a bit tacky to make mammoth jokes when someone has lost so much fat.?

I agree, Catty! Krobbie, really, how could you make lite of such a weighty matter? Oopps

For my new year's resolution I'm going to do the four Bs'. Be a bigger better bitch. :cheers:

francois
December 29th, 2007, 12:46
Either on this or another forum one poster had resolved to consider every trip to Thailand as if it were his last and to enjoy it as such. Such wise words.
A very dear friend was to leave for Thailand today but died in his sleep the day before his departure.
Bon Voyage Mr. Paul.

krobbie
December 29th, 2007, 15:54
Guys, I was serious in my congatulatory post to GayThailand.
Some seem to have got the wrong end of the pain au chocolat.
It was just a bit of word play and not a "poke" at all. I would be the last to do that, believe me.

Resolutions ...?

My resolution may be, to try hard to keep my bf when I arrive in a couple of weeks and not let him slip away ... because that may be easier.

I have just hung up the phone from my weekly Saturday call and when I mentioned that he might not me when I get there, he was silent for a while. He finally said ... "why you say that?" ... "Why you say I not want?" ... "I not say that".

I guess I have taken his devil may care attitude as indifference. Maybe I have a lot to learn about Thai men?

We shall see, but I am feeling much better all of a sudden and looking forward to my departure in mid January with excitement instead of trepidation.

Cheers
krobbie

December 29th, 2007, 16:42
Well I never thought this thread would get me interested. Rainwalker I loved your post, it certainly stirred something in me; and it was interesting to realise that most of it was a 'cut and paste' job. For me it didn't take away from the power of the post at all.

"I need to drop the pretense of being just an average person, emerge as a deity, and allow people to worship me more openly."- thanks for the smile :)
and it was really "I need to drop the pretense of being just an average person" that resonated in me. I'm not average.

"I will grow a spine. " Well I just thought, yep. (I was thinking of me not you,;oh fuck I am SO self centred!) But really, developing opinions and believing in them and letting them out is difficult for me, someone I like or respect might not like me..... Oh dear I really need to get over my mother - develop a spine.

Thanks

Nor do I own any of the Billboard top albums of 2007 and it's amazing because I always thought I was the rare one who just liked everything.

But seriously folks. In the last few months the focus of my life has changed dramatically and 2008 will see major changes. I am almost scared to say it in case it doesn't happen and my plans and dreams (which involve not only good looking thai men, but moving to Thailand (there I've said it)) will not occur. So I hope, pray; and wish that you will think good thoughts for me.. And that I can stand up, get a backbone, do what needs to be done.

Oh, and maybe I'll do the atkins diet again for a while (worked last time), and perhaps stop smoking (yeah right)

,....Oh, now there's a counselling session in my brain. What is it that I actually want? What are you searching for Diao?