PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve, Bangkok

December 24th, 2007, 19:56
I delayed leaving Singapore until Monday lunchtime in the belief that the elections had closed all the bars. As it turns out, I was mistaken, so I was told. The bars in Soi Twilight were open, just not selling alcohol. Three friends and I decided to eat at Sphinx with a private party to follow. (I'm just filling in time before the boys arrive by getting my thoughts down). I haven't eaten at Sphinx for some months now - since the last time I was in Bangkok (what a coincidence). A lot of the waiters seemed new; one routinely tripped over my chair every time he passed. Although the food was "standard Sphinx", one of my friends, who bravely ordered a salad, had to ask for the dressing to be delivered. The overall service was generally poor.

Fortunately we had finished our meal and were headed up the Soi towards Telephone when two of the ugliest Western transvestites I have ever seen and a not-much-better-looking Thai guy headed past us towards Sphinx. I think I would have thrown up if we'd still been there. Soi 4 did not look that busy for Xmas Eve, and Telephone even had at least one table with two straight couples, oblivious to everything going on around them. Off to Isaan on Wednesday.

bucknaway
December 24th, 2007, 20:46
I had eaten at Sphinx once or twice. It was so long ago I can't remember for sure. At the time I thought the prices were too high as related to the food and service.

I met the owner once and he seems to be a very nice guy.... But when a friend and I are trying to figure out where to eat, when they suggest Sphinx.... I say no.

December 24th, 2007, 21:48
I will miss the annual Christmas dinner at the LANDMARK with my friends.

TrongpaiExpat
December 24th, 2007, 23:10
Fortunately we had finished our meal and were headed up the Soi towards Telephone when two of the ugliest Western transvestites I have ever seen

They then went over to Dick's Cafe. They are frequent visitors to Thailand. They are off to Pattaya in a few days. They are both British, very old and I was told former show gals.

For the past few weeks I have been seeing the strangest looking farangs walking around Bangkok. It looks like the circus is in town. I don't know if it's the season or just my luck.

Dec 24 and 25 are not Holidays in Thailand.

December 25th, 2007, 00:03
the quality of the food and the service at Sphinx has definitely gone downhill over the past few years - unfortunately the prices havent followed. i would be surprised if it lasts another year unless it changes. the quality of the food at Telephone and Balcony is at least as good as Sphinx now.

TrongpaiExpat
December 25th, 2007, 01:41
The biggest problems I have with the Sphinx is that they allow smoking inside the restaurant and for some reason the place seems to attract chain smokers. There's outside seating but some smokers want to sit inside with AC and a closed ventilation system.

Once I went in and there were no ash trays on the tables. I was told that there is no longer smoking inside. I guess that did not last long.

I also agree the prices are high.

Never noticed a problem with service and the seats are very comfortable.

There is a new Italian restaurant next to the Telephone, anyone try it?

Brad the Impala
December 25th, 2007, 02:18
For the past few weeks I have been seeing the strangest looking farangs walking around Bangkok. It looks like the circus is in town. I don't know if it's the season or just my luck.

I always think of Bangkok as the town that the circus never left!

bucknaway
December 25th, 2007, 02:36
I like Dicks Cafe. The tables are a little small but we always seem to enjoy our meal with little problem. I imagine that Dick's Cafe has a tough time in the rainy season since a lot of their tables are out in the open.

I have always had a good time at Dicks. The food was good, the prices were fair and service..... Well lets just say that you got service when you truly needed it. I also like sitting out in the thick of it watching the touts apply their trade.....

They then went over to Dick's Cafe. They are frequent visitors to Thailand. They are off to Pattaya in a few days. They are both British, very old and I was told former show gals.

Dec 24 and 25 are not Holidays in Thailand.

December 25th, 2007, 08:17
... is the epidemic of facial hair - even the girliest member of the troupe (and she's all girl) has designer stuble. Most off-putting

I spent the evening at home with a couple of the Duty Mem'sahibs. We ordered takeaway pizza

TrongpaiExpat
December 25th, 2007, 10:40
I imagine that Dick's Cafe has a tough time in the rainy season since a lot of their tables are out in the open.

Not really, there's a retractable awning that pretty much covers the whole outdoor seating area.

Thanks to the German manager of the BBB group for getting rid of the door boy/barker that used to yell DREAM BOY at 2 min intervals. The sound permeated Dick's Cafe. BBB has a new huge sign that says it does not pay touts/guides, they cheat you. Well, actually the it's the bar that passes on the 100B or so for the tout, not the tout so who is cheating who? The sign also says, good shows, fixed prices and no cheating. They have to advertise no cheating? Does this imply the others cheat you?

The BBB group get my award for the best (least aggressive) door boys.