PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya Beach Rd closed Fri/Sat and Sun from 1st Jan C&P

December 21st, 2007, 22:48
Beach Road will be closed to weekend traffic starting from January 1

Pattaya Mail

Pedestrians often take their lives into their hands just trying to cross the street.
Ariyawat Nuamsawat
Pattaya Beach Road is to be closed to traffic Friday, Saturday and Sunday, returning to normal on Monday each week in an experiment ordered by the governor of Chonburi to try and resolve the traffic problem and make the beach a more attractive area for pedestrians.
The new measures, which will start on January 1, will see Second Road opened to two-way traffic when Beach Road is closed.
Large tour buses will also be prohibited from dropping off their passengers along Beach Road at this time.
Governor Pracha Taerat announced the new plans at Pattaya City Hall on December 6, saying that the activities of the cityтАЩs 700 baht buses and the tendency of the vehicle rental firms to hire out cars and motorcycles to large numbers of inexperienced and unskilled drivers was making the Beach Road traffic intolerable.
He said that Chonburi Land Traffic Department had been assigned to devise a solution to the problem, and that initially this would be a pilot scheme with a survey being conducted to see if it is viable as a permanent solution.
If this were the case, then Beach Road would become a Walking Street during the weekends.

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd1

jolyjacktar
December 21st, 2007, 23:24
I think this will be a big hit with all tourists. Its a pity they dont put in a few foot bridges over 2nd road too, this would make a whole lotta difference to walking in Pattaya.

December 22nd, 2007, 00:31
Pedestrians often take their lives into their hands just trying to cross the street.
... Second Road opened to two-way traffic when Beach Road is closed.Large tour buses will also be prohibited from dropping off their passengers along Beach Road at this time.

So, adding the Beach Road traffic to that already on Second Road, plus the tour buses, and making it two way (again), will help the pedestrians??

God help anyone trying to get to The Avenue!

December 22nd, 2007, 12:00
[quote="Pattaya Mail":2zwr3rdk]
... Second Road opened to two-way traffic when Beach Road is closed.Large tour buses will also be prohibited from dropping off their passengers along Beach Road at this time.

So, adding the Beach Road traffic to that already on Second Road, plus the tour buses, and making it two way (again), will help the pedestrians??

God help anyone trying to get to The Avenue![/quote:2zwr3rdk]

Don't worry -- the traffic will be completely stopped most of the time, so it will be very safe to cross. I hope it will encourage Villa to move to Jomtien, where they should have located in the first place.

December 22nd, 2007, 13:43
The big danger with changing to two way traffic on Second Road is the traffic in and out of the Sois. Will they change the signs twice a week? Will they all be two way traffic?

On one of the recent times that they changed Second Road traffic two persons were killed. I hope that they are more careful this time. Thais on motorbikes seem to develop a death wish and enter main roads from sois without looking to see in there is oncoming traffic. Quite often this is done when not wearing a helmet and talking on the mobile phone.

Access to the major hotels and condominiums could be a big pain especially for those with luggage.

To my mind a better solution would be to ban all stopping and parking at peak hours and enforce that strictly. Install pedestrian crossings with traffic lights at busy crossing points and have bays where baht and tourist buses must drop off and pick up passengers.

December 22nd, 2007, 14:32
Pow,
come on, you have been here long enough to know your ideas for second road have no chance. NO chance. How you going to get the police (the few there are) to 'strictly' enforce any law?
Back to the drawing board mate.

December 22nd, 2007, 16:23
The traffic arrangements are just fine as they are.

One way traffic makes it easy to cross the road -just look one way, then walk.

J

December 22nd, 2007, 17:03
The traffic arrangements are just fine as they are.

One way traffic makes it easy to cross the road -just look one way, then walk.

J

Well then, you have never seen a motocy going the WRONG way?

December 22nd, 2007, 17:26
If Beach Road becomes closed, then all the sois linking it to second road will become narrow dead ends. I assume therefore that those that are one way will revert to both ways, not that most are wide enough to allow this. Also, what happens to the short neck of Pattaya South Road that links the entrance to Walking Street to the crossroads of Second Road and Pattaya South?
What happens to the huge amount of vehicles that park on Beach Road once the deadline for it becoming pedestrian only is reached. Are the traffic lights at the Khlang/ Second Road by Tops able to be adjusted to allow the traffic to go both ways at a precise time on Friday. (bearing in mind the track record Pattaya has for traffic light management, I doubt it). Will the changes be publicised in Thai and English? Will there be signage up in both languages telling traffic what to do? What will happen to the huge number of baht buses that will now have to condense themselves into a smaller working area.
My Prediction...absolute deadlock and chaos and no small amount of accidents.

bigben
December 22nd, 2007, 17:42
I hope this regulation/law will be scraped before it is put in effect.

If it goes forward which it seems it will then dollars to donuts, it will be "ONE MAJOR CLUSTER FCUK"

Just my opinion

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.