PDA

View Full Version : Visas for non EU citizens entering the UK

December 18th, 2007, 21:32
Whilst this will affect every tourist who is a national from outside the EU entering Britain, it might be of concern to Thai Nationals entering Britain, especially, it seems to me, that the UK authorities are pretty strict in giving out visas to Thai Nationals anyway as they are with certain nationals I'm sure.

Anyway, the UK government is considering halving the amount of time a non-EU national can stay in the UK on a tourist visa. At the moment it is 6 months (which is excellent considering when we go on holiday we only get in some cases 14 days in some countries) and they are considering reducing it to 3 months. Similarly, they are considering tightening up the appeal process, whatever that means, my interpretation is, at the worst, you cannot appeal (probably I'm reacting too heavily there), and also a refundable bond of around ┬г1,000 must be deposited for each tourist.

December 18th, 2007, 23:53
Just to clarify: currently anyone applying for a Visitor Visa allowing a stay(s) up to and including 6 months in the United Kingdom, DOES NOT have any right of appeal if the visa is refused. Also, the idea of a financial bond which may be as high as GBP1000 (this is out for consultation), is not applicable to general visitor visas, rather applies to (family) sponsored visitor visas.

But, as WhiteDesire states, this current 6 month (usually multiple entry) Visitor Visa will, it seems, drop to a maximum stay of 3 months.

Everything is now out for consultation so watch this space.

On a positive note, the Brown government is proposing a tourist visa specifically targetted for non-EU visitors to the 2012 London Olympics (which by its very nature may be slightly easier to obtain) - so you all have 4 years to find a Thai who is mad about sports!
(..........or better still a member of the Japanese Gymnastics squad!! slurp slurp!)

December 19th, 2007, 19:31
Looks like the owner of Manchester City FC is giving advice to the Home Office.