PDA

View Full Version : Night Flights from Suvannaphumi

December 17th, 2007, 00:12
Folks, a warning if you are taking one of the several Thai Airways flights that leave Suvannaphumi around midnight for various destinations across the globe. Head for your gate about two hours before your flight is due to go. On Saturday I was on a midnight flight to Sydney leaving from C wing - as were by my rough count six other 747's: for Paris, Madrid, Melbourne, Frankfurt, Tokyo and Seoul, I think. That's about two and a half thousand people. There were three security checkpoints for the lot to pass through. If you allow fifteen seconds for every person to be processed you will get some idea of the logistics. The approach to the security points is severely constrained by the narrowness of the hall and what must have been upwards of a thousand people were jammed into two queues stretching further than I could see. As departure times came and went, many passengers, not understanding that the plane would not in the circumstances leave without them if their bags were on board, started to panic and barge to the fore with ugly possibilities evolving. It was the worst shit fight that I have ever seen at an airport. Most of us in it were simply incredulous. Our flight got off an hour and ten minutes behind schedule. I can't see how the problem can be solved if Thai have these flights going at the same time from the one wing and three security checkpoints only to deal with the passengers. I would be wanting an assurance from Thai that it had been solved before I would risk the experience again by taking one of their flights. I would regret having to sever my connection with that airline as it goes back to when their planes were wearing SAS livery.

TrongpaiExpat
December 17th, 2007, 12:41
It's just as bad coming in too.

They seem to either put all the flight in the C section or the B section rather than use both.

Last time I arrived we were directed to the C arrivals. The place was packed, every lane open but very long lines. I walked down to B and there was no one and 4 or 5 counter open with agents just sitting there. They stamped me in and I was able to walk back to the baggage area for C, sometimes that is blocked. If you have only carry on there's no problem.

They also seem to have many of the exits to the street level 2 blocked and you get forced out certain exits. There are three taxi stands, often one is packed and the other two empty.

Meeting someone at the airport or being picked up also has some problems. Your plane can show an arrival exit C but often the baggage is closer to B exit. When you exit you can go left or right and I notice people waiting on the wrong side as their party walks away and are out of shouting distance.

The Taxi lanes are now greatly improved and move fast. The taxis park perpendicular to the curb, you enter a lane and the driver the opposite lane and you meet in the middle.