View Full Version : Notes from Hua Hin ....

Smiles
December 14th, 2007, 12:06
THE SOI DOG SHUFFLE

This particular dance may not be observed very much in Bangkok, but in a small pop town like Hua Hin (normally 35,000 Thai souls I believe, swelling to 5.8 million flabby farangs in December, January & February) one notices it fairly quickly if observant enough: Thai folks do not cross roads like we westerners do ... i.e. they don't stop, look, wait, walk as we have been taught from childhood. That technique wastes time and is too lacking in grace (stop, start, hesitate, mind-changing, confused and/or terrified looks), efficiency. and ~ most importantly ~ fearlessness.

Thais tango across the street, waltzing not to the background heaviness of 19th century German composers, but to the blaring of Isaan dance tunes firing on all cylinders from sidewalk noodle stalls.
Thais don't stop and look ... they go and look. They dive from the curb into a hullabaloo of 100cc Honda Waves and hulking Toyota mini buses and my old man's Nissan pickup (yep, he's no better than any Thai once behind the wheel). They miss motorbike rear view mirrors by centimeters and place their next step into the same space that a Big Blue Bangkok Bus's wheel just drove through not a millisecond before . . . the whole dance across to the other side characterised by a heads up, face forward sleepy gaze of ethereal nonchalance, as opposed to the Frightened-Deer-in-Headlight eye-bulge of western tourists who never seem to 'get' the concept that on Thai streets anything can come at one from any direction, all at once, at any time.

Thais make it (usually) across the street oblivious to the potential carnage. He/she's dodged it all with seldom more than a small dip of the hip, a quick (never startled though) move sideways to shrink the profile (all the better to move unseen between a garbage truck trying to pass a semi in a soi) . . . at the same time turning around waving or yelling at his/her just friend left behind still eating noodles and gesticulating dramatically with a set of flying chopsticks. Thais crossing streets could snatch babies off motorcycles with little more than a rapid arm movement, so close are they to the 5-abreast Yamaha, the kid waving to be rescued from his seat on the gas tank.

And even better . . . all soi dogs know this dance off by heart and emulate it to perfection. Which begs the old question: which came first, the Dance or the Dog?

'CHOPPING' AT TESCO & HOMEPRO AT THE MALL

Off to buy, in no particular order, a 32 inch (or thereabouts) TV, a decent stereo system, and a hot water heater.

Head to the mall, pass by all sorts of consumerisms, artwork, KFC, Starbucks, Swensens Ice Cream, Japanese food places (?), clean bathrooms with no glory holes, and head first into HomePro (second floor, higher end, lighting more flattering to my face). Then to Tesco (first floor, cheap stuff, bright lights) and made a beeline for the TV/Stereo sections ... start browsing with serious visages, the occasional frown, and quiet whispers about this & that ... at various big ass flat screen TV's (Sony's, Panasonics, LGs, Sharps, Samsungs) all brightly flashing with the most incredible High Def Digital imagery on the face of the earth.

We (that is to say, my guy & myself) hover like this, alone and together, mesmerized at the, well, availability. The choices! The prices! The lusciousness of the very thought of entering, of possessing, digital heaven!

But alas . . . the togetherness, the glory of 'doing this together', the camaraderie of decision-making was shattered within 20 seconds, as we are immediately surrounded on all sides by The Sales People.
In fact, it was not really immediate in the beginning. The Help Police started as one, then soon began to take on the appearance of a Niagara falls of human beings in red shirts (this was Tesco, but HomePro was no different) all taking very seriously the penultimate characteristics of Thai Customer Service: (1) attack in overwhelming numbers, (2) follow the prey without letup, no matter where he goes, and (3) pay no heed to the phrase "... just looking thanks ...".

Our group ~ by now 7, with a few leaving, only to replaced in shifts by others ... who of course had to be updated by the other 6 on the progress of the Possible Purchase ~ moved down the aisle like a ballet troupe doing parts of Swan Lake in perfect harmony. Then, out of the blue, against all common sense, we stood parked in awe in front of The Deal.

A 32 inch Panasonic flat screen with the most beautiful picture I've ever seen. It shimmered (as did I), it glowed (as did my face), the sound was perfection . . . . AND IT WAS MARKED DOWN TO 19,000 BAHT!!!
We looked at it, then at each other, then nodded in tandem (we ain't poker players, for sure). All of the others of the same size, similar quality brands, same configurations were at least 8-12,000 baht more. This was the one!

So I did the numbers (a hand calculator appearing as if by magic from the black hole centre of the Corps de Ballet), checked the wallet, checked if I had brought the Visa card, checked one more time with the beloved to make sure he was happy ( he was :blackeye: ). We then announced grandly to The Group (I had forgotten who was our original sales dude) that " ... we'll take it ... ".
This seemed to cause some degree of consternation amongst the dance company. I ~ my Thai being pathetic ~ assumed that they did not understand the "we'll take it" phrase, so I asked Pot to say it in Thai. Which he did.
One of the group spoke a little english, and after more consultation with the Red Guards, said to me " ... just minute please sir, wait ... ". He left and hurried off down the aisle, coming back in a few minutes with an older lady (in beige) who carried a large notebook. The group ~ en masse ~ pointed out the agreed-on TV and the price tag below it. She looked at it, touched it, spoke to herself about it, then opened up her big notebook to a page and ran her finger down the length of it, stopping about three quarters of the way down. " ... No have ... " she said severely.

Stunned (naturally ... as there was one sitting there ~ on ~ in front of us on the shelf) I asked what did she mean. This started large noisy conversation deep within the darkest bowels of the group-of-seven . . . made even noisier because now my guy was getting into the fray with his own noise.
In the end it turned out that the shelf model was the only one left at that price . . . and we couldn't have it. Why? I have no idea why, and neither does my guy. The TV was there on the shelf. The ticket plainly read marked down to 19,000 baht (the price itself was never in dispute ... it was not a mistake). Who were they going to sell it to? Were they ever going to sell it? Why was it on the shelf if it was not for sale?

Denouement: we got back to the hotel, beaten and demoralized. Suphot actually used the phrase " ... amazing Thailand ... "

The next day we bought a Sony from HomePro. Same configuration, same size, only 1000 baht more than the Tesco disappointment. This one was apparently a "promotion" from Sony and the store had only received 5 at the price ... as at Tesco this was the last one also! Gun-shy by now, I waited for the worst.
But no problem. All went smoothly and glory be, the Kirov Ballet numbered only three.

We walked away with a nice TV, at a good price, and two black Sony polo shirts thrown in for good measure. We met one of the salesmen from the Tesco fiasco on the way downstairs, and Pot showed him the new purchase.

Cheers ...

krobbie
December 14th, 2007, 15:03
Devine intervention. I was so hoping that one of the Tesco dance troupe would bear witness to your purchase. That baby Jesus. He just turns up at the oddest times.

Would love to have seen the valiant look on Suphot face at that moment .... Priceless!

Cheers
krobbie

December 14th, 2007, 16:34
Now I know why Hua Hin has never featured on my "to visit" list. However, welcome Smiles to shopping in Thailand. Now all you have to hope is that it never needs servicing

Dodger
December 14th, 2007, 16:43
Alas...after being encapsuled in a frozen tundra in Canada for decades, the true talents of a gifted "writer" blossom.

Smiles, I loved your description of the Thais crossing sois. It dawned on me after reading your description, that Thais navigate their vehicles on the sois using the same techniques with phenomenal results.

I've finally mastered the skill of walking down those busted up sidewalks in the marketplace with my eyes closed. Well, not really closed, just not focused on any moving objects as if I'm the only one on the sidewalk. Any attempts to be courteous just results in you standing there like a light post as the other non-focused people walk around you.

How's Hua Hin?

More importantly, how are you enjoying the feeling of having HIM next to you when you wake up every morning?

Come on...come on, the hell with the TV set and water heater... give us some juicy details.

mai pen rai

December 14th, 2007, 19:48
Thank you, Smiles. Your ability to make others appreciate the mundane, and not so mundane, moments is unsurpassed.

ikarus
December 14th, 2007, 21:22
I have never been a fan of Pattaya but for those who plan to retire in Thailand it seems to be the only option. I cannot imagine living prolonged periods of time in Isaan and even places like Hua Hin. It should be extremely boring if not depressing. Smiles notes seems to give an idea how mundane his retirement is going to be with aging bf at hand. The only advantage maybe that he will have plenty of opportunities to visit Pattaya (without bf) "to see friends". I, of course, realize that many people need to stay in BKK or CM just because they continue to work but what kind of retirement could be in monstrous concrete conglomerate like BKK?

TrongpaiExpat
December 14th, 2007, 23:01
ikarus seems to have taken bias to a new low, a Pattaya centric low at that.

Smiles, Great story. Reminds of the adventure I had buying a TV.

When I bought a TV and home theater system I though it would be a good idea to do some comparative shopping. The first problem I encountered was it was nearly imposable to find the same brand and model in all the usual chain stores. Then with extras and discounts added getting to a final price to compare was very difficult.

The first place I went it was one of the authorized Sony dealership. The sales man offered me 10% off the listed price and then said the discount was good only for one day. He gave me a card and stamped on the back was his discount and again the warning, good only on the date stamped on the front. He stressed that the discount would not be repeated. We came back a week latter and got a new card with thesame discount again only good for one day but today we were buying.

I was directed to a chair facing three older high hair Thai-Chinese ladies all sitting at the same table. They did not say a word to me but kept chatting with each other non-stop. Lady number one was searching a long list. Lady number two was making marks in a few ledger books and lady number three, the oldest, was eating noodles on a pile of books and papers. Lady one began the process and filled out some paperwork all in Thai. Then passed it all to lady two who added some more paper work and passed it to the noodle eating lady who had an impressive tree of rubber stamps, she put down the noodles and picked a few stamps and began marking the front and back of the papers. Then lady number one gets it all back and makes some phone calls. Lady number two then passes me an invoice and points to the final amount with her finger, not a word spoken to me but still carrying on the same non-stop conversation with the other two ladies. I pass her a credit card and she passed it to the noodle eating lady who had the credit card reader under her seat. Lady one had to hang up for the noodle lady to call in the credit card. The credit slip comes out and the noodle lady passes the slip to the middle lady who passes it to me and I sign. It then goes back to lady one who inspects the signature and has me sign some other papers, here, here and here again no words, just pointing. The whole package then goes in an envelope and is sealed, stapled and folded. The noodle lady then motioned for me to leave.

The whole rig got delivered in a few hours. Three guys showed up. Everything this company does involved three people. They began unraveling wires and connectors. One guy immediately pulled up a section of the floor and sat there silently. The head man told the second man how to make the connections. In short order the system was up and running. The head man showed us how it worked while the other two guys nodded their heads in agreement.

December 15th, 2007, 02:29
I have never been a fan of Pattaya but for those who plan to retire in Thailand it seems to be the only option. I cannot imagine living prolonged periods of time in Isaan and even places like Hua Hin. It should be extremely boring if not depressing. Smiles notes seems to give an idea how mundane his retirement is going to be with aging bf at hand. The only advantage maybe that he will have plenty of opportunities to visit Pattaya (without bf) "to see friends". I, of course, realize that many people need to stay in BKK or CM just because they continue to work but what kind of retirement could be in monstrous concrete conglomerate like BKK?

Yes, definitely retire to Pattaya. Nothing to see here in BKK. So quiet and boring here.

ikarus
December 15th, 2007, 02:29

Smiles, Great story.

???
Mundaine story about the guy who seems to does not have 500 Canadian dollars to buy flat screen TV.

Aunty
December 15th, 2007, 05:14

Smiles, Great story.

???
Mundaine story about the guy who seems to does not have 500 Canadian dollars to buy flat screen TV.

Ouch!

December 15th, 2007, 06:43
... what kind of retirement could be in monstrous concrete conglomerate like BKK?You mean among all those interesting ex-pats who actually have a life?

ikarus
December 15th, 2007, 07:00
... what kind of retirement could be in monstrous concrete conglomerate like BKK?You mean among all those interesting ex-pats who actually have a life?
Homi,
I understand your point and, of course, I know that you strongly dislike Pattaya. Your classical definion: brothel on the beach is right on the money . Yet, I cannot imagine retirement in big, polluted city. Regarding expats having life, yes, I agree expats in BKK probably much more interesting people that the bulk of Pattaya retirees but the proximity of Pattaya to BKK make it possible to interact with BKK friends and take advantage of rich social and cultural life of capital city avoiding simultaneously dangers of social disturbances. Look at Wowpow: he will never miss Kirov ballet perfomance.
Besides, if you look at Hedda blog, he mentions BKK as his place of residence. Thus, by retiring in BKK you definitely would not get rid of him...

December 15th, 2007, 07:30
Yet, I cannot imagine retirement in big, polluted cityLondon, New York, Sydney, LA, San Francisco - you wouldn't want to live out your retirement in those big cities? All large cities suffer from pollution - that's just the way things are, the price we pay for living with interesting people doing interesting things. Bangkok's air quality is improving, according to reports. Whether Pattaya has more to offer than being a seaside brothel I doubt - the incidence of high-rise suicides and, I'm told, high levels of alcoholism among retirees point to more serious problems. As for Hedda living in Bangkok, isn't that the point of the big city - a melting pot?

ikarus
December 15th, 2007, 09:14
Yet, I cannot imagine retirement in big, polluted cityLondon, New York, Sydney, LA, San Francisco - you wouldn't want to live out your retirement in those big cities?
No. And even in Singapore which I like and which is not polluted at all. In fact, life expectancy in Singapore is one of the highest in the world. And even despite the fact that number of cuties in Singapoe per 1000 is much higher than in Thailand(in my subjective estimate). May be it is just me. What bothers me, though, that Pattaya itself seems to moving to the direction of big polluted city ... and so many other problems.
On the other hand, I cannot imagine neither Dodger nor myself as "Isaan peasant" or resident of Nacom si Tammarat
(South that is).

PeterUK
December 15th, 2007, 09:30
Living in Thailand, it's easy to get into the lazy habit of thinking that it's not really so different here from our home countries. A few temples, tuk-tuks and palm trees providing a bit of local colour perhaps, but essentially the same. Your wonderful little pieces of reportage, Smiles, disabuse us of this notion totally. Reading them, we recognise with delight aspects of Thai behaviour that we have given little thought to or forgotten about; it strikes us anew that we might as well be living on the moon for all we really understand about the place. You so clearly relish the whole business of exploring an alien culture, irritations and all, that we can only smile along with you as you poke your gentle fun. I hope that now you are spending longer periods here you will be moved to contribute more such pieces - without getting jaded like the rest of us!

UncleSam
December 15th, 2007, 11:57
I hope that now you are spending longer periods here you will be moved to contribute more such pieces
I can't wait for the next sequel: "Smiles does Big C".

Hehehe.....

ikarus
December 15th, 2007, 12:26
Living in Thailand, it's easy to get into the lazy habit of thinking that it's not really so different here from our home countries. A few temples, tuk-tuks and palm trees providing a bit of local colour perhaps, but essentially the same. Your wonderful little pieces of reportage, Smiles, disabuse us of this notion totally. Reading them, we recognise with delight aspects of Thai behaviour that we have given little thought to or forgotten about; it strikes us anew that we might as well be living on the moon for all we really understand about the place. You so clearly relish the whole business of exploring an alien culture, irritations and all, that we can only smile along with you as you poke your gentle fun. I hope that now you are spending longer periods here you will be moved to contribute more such pieces - without getting jaded like the rest of us!
Well, Peter, I like your own stories and truly believe in your talent as a writer. I would say that you represent a bright spot when it comes to Pattaya retirees. Especially one of your stories (futuristic, snow in Pattaya etc) comes to mind...
Though one of your "forecasts" about the world wide expansion of Niddy Nook chain understandably will never come true.
I, however, disagree with your assessment of Smiles "snippets" and sincerely hope he will save us from his trainspotting experience in Hua Hin railway station. Understandably though that you came to the rescue of your old buddy Smiles who surely will be visiting you frequently in Pattaya-extreme city.

December 15th, 2007, 13:30
Homi and ikarus both have valid views of Bangkok, IMHO. Ikaraus went a bit far in characterizing Bangkok as "monstrous concrete conglomerate," as if it had no redeeming values.

I'm a "city boy" at heart, but the noise and air pollution drove me out of Bangkok. But, having chosen a new home just south of the brothel part of Pattaya (I live in the middle of the countryside in Jomtien, surrounded by open fields, water buffalo, and cobras) I sorely miss all the conveniences, facilities, and just plain vitality of the Big Mango.

I do like the quiet nights in the countryside and the floors that stay clean for weeks without mopping, so there's something to be said for both environments.

If Thailand in general, and Bangkok in particular, would ever get serious about vehicle emissions controls, I would move back to Bangkok. But, when I visit more than two days, my sinuses tell me to get the heck out of that blackened air.

Sorry, Smiles, to add to the hijacking of your thread. Please continue your little vignettes of life in Thailand! (You, too, Dodger!)

jinks
December 15th, 2007, 14:26
I can't wait for the next sequel: "Smiles does Big C".

Hehehe.....

Followed by

"Smiles does Pattaya"

"Smiles does Jomtien"

"Smiles does jinks" for posting this hehehe :clown:

alipatt-old
December 15th, 2007, 14:31
YOU WISH????

TrongpaiExpat
December 15th, 2007, 18:23
I guess there are those who get annoyed by the way Thais do things and those who are amused. Those who are amused are by far nicer people to be around.

Smiles
December 16th, 2007, 09:10
"Followed by

"Smiles does Pattaya"

"Smiles does Jomtien"

"Smiles does jinks" for posting this hehehe ....
Laugh all you want . . . just as long as we see a very athletic version of "Jinks does Margarita" at Christmas time.

Cheers ...

PS ... you'll be paying for two I should add. Khun Suphot has developed a serious taste for salt on the rimmers.

jinks
December 17th, 2007, 12:15
salt on the rimmers.

Quite a thought :cheers: