PDA

View Full Version : Bars closing this weekend? (14th /15th)

December 12th, 2007, 16:42
I read elsewhere that there would be no alcohol sales allowed from Friday 14th 6pm until Sunday 16th 6pm because of the advance voting for the election.

1) Can anyone confirm this?

2) If true, how does it affect the Jomtien St party?

3) Will the bars (go-go) be open and not serving alcohol, or all closed?

Alcohol is easy to stock up on, boys not so easy.

December 13th, 2007, 02:56
I had dinner at Asian Moon yesterday evening, and the owner (Darren) confirmed no liquor sales the 14th and 15th.

This might be the "elsewhere" that you read this, but if not, there is a thread announcing it on Thaivisa.com ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... pic=158328 (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=158328) )

Thai election forces 2-weekend booze ban

BANGKOK: -- No alcohol will be served to expats, tourists or local residents in bars and restaurants over the next two weekends nationwide due to the oncoming election.

The first dry days will be 14, 15 and 16 December, pre-election days for a few million Thais who registered to vote early.

Thaivisa has been informed that no alcohol is allowed to be served nationwide between Friday 14th at 6pm until Sunday 16th at midnight.

Elections on the 23rd will mean no alcohol will be sold from 6pm on the 22nd till midnight on the 23rd of December.

Practically this means two or three dry days in the two weekends ahead, although some tourist areas tend to be lenient once it's past 7pm on election day.

Please be aware that local rules could apply. Big hotels are not likely to be affected.

--thaivisa.com 2007-12-13
Now, this might make for a nice damper on the "Jomtien International Party" on the 14th.

Talk about well-kept secrets. TiT, and all, but to spring this < 48hrs in advance is a bit much. Thaivisa.com is usually a reliable source of info, but I notice strangely absent is a source for that post.

December 13th, 2007, 09:35
... as a possibility in his column last Sunday

December 13th, 2007, 11:38
I mentioned the Thaivisa comment to my bf this morning. He said that he already knew about it because it had been broadcast on the Thai TV Channels' News broadcasts. I called a friend of mine this morning, who is with the Take Care group, about the Jomtien International event scheduled for tomorrow. It was his understanding that the organizers will be meeting around noon today to decide on a course of action. So, I expect they will be posting something this afternoon on what they plan to do.

December 13th, 2007, 11:59
The Jomtien Gay Community has decided to move the Jomtien International Party to 17 December.

We learned late yesterday that the Thai Government has imposed a blanket Alcohol Ban on 14 & 15 Dcember due to Pre-election. These dates are put aside for people going back to their province in advance to vote for the General Election.

We have confirmed with Pattaya Police and Pattaya City Hall that no bars/restaurants/hotels will be serving alcohol. Hence we do not want to have a party where people cannot have a drink or two and and have decide to postpone the party to MONDAY 17 DECEMBER 2007.
We have confirmed with all the acts, restaurants and boys for the contest and the program will be exactly the same as advertised.

We will be amending the date on posters and be leafleting Jomtien beach today to announe the change.

It would be much appreciated if everyone can inform others of this change.

In case anyone purchased tickets and cannot come on the new date, please return to where your bought them for a refund.

December 13th, 2007, 16:25
Hence we do not want to have a party where people cannot have a drink or two and and have decide to postpone the party to MONDAY 14 DECEMBER 2007.
Is it too late to edit that post? I believe it should read MONDAY, 17 DECEMBER 2007?

December 13th, 2007, 19:52
... it would be better to postpone till sometime in January, I mean there are enough celebrations coming up.

painai2
December 13th, 2007, 21:32
According to my source from a prominent gay bar, the bars in Boyztown WILL be open Dec. 14, 15, 16, however alcohol will not be served.

December 14th, 2007, 10:28
... it would be better to postpone till sometime in January, I mean there are enough celebrations coming up.

It is my understanding that the organizers had already purchased most of the items needed (drinks, food, etc.) for the event. So, it appears that delaying it only a few days was the logical decision under the circumstances..

December 14th, 2007, 16:38
According to my source from a prominent gay bar, the bars in Boyztown WILL be open Dec. 14, 15, 16, however alcohol will not be served.My source, prominent or otherwise says for the Silom area "Bars open, no booze (unless it's a restaurant, you're a well-known regular, and you drink from a mug or something equally inconspicuous)"

December 15th, 2007, 14:39
My latest info, confirmed by a posting on GayThailand, is that the Police closed Boyztown bars last evening and said that they have to close Saturday and Sunday.

Pattaya Police Party Poopers

December 15th, 2007, 15:10
I went to a Silom 6 boy bar around 8pm, there was a uniformed policeman outside chatting to the touts, I went in and ordered a non-alcoholic drink. I bought a drink for one of the boys and his choice turned out to be Singha beer, which was served "covered up" but still in a bottle. A friend says every police district is interpreting the rules differently. This Is Thailand

catawampuscat
December 15th, 2007, 15:58
In Jomtien many bars had steel shutters half down and were using candles and mugs. Early in the evening,
Two Faces was open and many lady beer bars with lights off, appeared to be doing business.

In Sunee Plaza, only the pedo beer bars open with lites dimmed..

In Boyztown area, Pattayaland soi 1, the bars opened with no alcohol signs posted but were closed early in the evening.
Pattayaland soi 2 also opened early but were closed down by police fairly before 10PM or thereabouts..
Pattayaland soi 3 stayed open and were well lit and things looked normal... I don't know if police closed them down as well later last nite and I had an early evening .

It looked like mixed signals as many boy bars in Boyztown area opened and then were closed.. Why soi 3 stayed
open longer and maybe until closing time is just one of those things you either accept or get upset about.. I accept :cat:

catawampuscat
December 15th, 2007, 22:54
On the 2nd nite of closings of boy bars in Pattaya, I can report that many bars were open and busy.
We never got over to Sunee but Top Man was supposed to be open with a show.. Last nite was the last
nite of the French emcee and he did a full drag finale.. He departure is to make way for the new guy and
hopefully he will not do a full drag opening nite act but you know show biz..

Day-Nite was fun and Siam Boys was open with lots of boys/guys. No alcohol but lots of friendly boys and few
customers when we stopped by.
More interesting for me was Guys, which was open and had a fair number of guys on stage and some customers.
A couple of stunners and I will revisit soon as the show is one of the best in Pattaya.
One of the mamasans claimed that they had 28 gogo boys last nite and 25 got offed.. They credit the closings in Boyztown and
some of the customers must have kept their new found bfs as they were only about 15 or so dancers but I am not complaining

Office Boys was closed but it is interesting as it usually has a good group of friendly guys and seems to be a regular bar for some
customers..

Pattayaland Soi 3 - All bars open and all lites on like a regular nite.
Pattayaland Soi 2- All bars closed and street dark
Pattayaland Soi 1- Most bars open but soi subdued somewhat.. Three or four boy bars closed..

One more nite of closings and then we do it all again next weekend... but I am not complaining, I could be freezing my nuts off up north.. :cat: