PDA

View Full Version : can you spice up my life?

tony279760-old
December 11th, 2007, 18:13
can anyone recommend a good place to buy Thai spices like curry powder, Galangal powder, Dried lemongrass, Thai sea salt etc. I'm looking to buy catering-size quanties 1kg+ of each. I know Freindship have a decent selection but they only have 3oz jars. thanks

jinks
December 11th, 2007, 18:46
It might be prudent to say in which location you wish to make these purchases.

Lunchtime O'Booze
December 11th, 2007, 19:03
yes dear but where are you-Gulagambone, London, Timbuctoo, Pattaya ??

December 11th, 2007, 19:05
can anyone recommend a good place to buy Thai spices like curry powder, Galangal powder, Dried lemongrass, Thai sea salt etc. I'm looking to buy catering-size quanties 1kg+ of each. I know Freindship have a decent selection but they only have 3oz jars. thanks
You don't say where you live or whether you intend to 'export' these items.

If you live in the UK you would be advised to check on how much Customs will allow you to import into the country - 'catering size' quantities may be more than is permitted without a license/paying duty.

December 11th, 2007, 19:16
He did say Friendship has 3oz size so i would guess he is in pattaya. Try doing a goggle search and find if there is a distributor in Bangkok.

tony279760-old
December 11th, 2007, 19:34
a thousand apologies. i'm looking to buy them in either pattaya or bangkok. thanks again.

Sen Yai
December 11th, 2007, 19:43
There are a few stalls that sell Thai herbs and spices in large packs at Chatuchak market. They are just mixed in with all the clothes and crockery stalls in the clock tower area so you have to search for them! Not the same stalls that sell cashew nuts and dried fish.

TrongpaiExpat
December 11th, 2007, 20:55
Maybe Kamphaeng Market. Take MRT to the Kamphaeng stop, exit 3 I think, should be marked.

Khlong Toey Market, MRT Khlong Toey not that close, you have to cross a huge street, take the next one, Sirkit, and take a moto-cy or walk.

By the Chao Phraya, take boat, get off stop Pak Khlong market, one stop after the Pakpokklao bridge.

jvt22222
December 12th, 2007, 08:59
............ on the same floor as the food court (one floor below the SkyTrain entrance) is a very large, somewhat pricey supermarket ........... without entering the supermarket but facing it at their check out counters, look to your left ...........along that wall there is a row of shops, one of which is called something like The Spice Shop ............. there they have every imaginable Thai spice as well as lots of other, more internationally known spices ............ prices are very reasonable ............ the spices are top quality ........... all are bottled or otherwise packaged, with some loose to be bought in bulk. Looking for Thai spices, you cannot go wrong here.

allieb
December 12th, 2007, 11:45
I always buy my Thai spices and food stuffs at a selection of places. Robbinson Silom, The supermarket in the department store at National Stadium BTS. and Chatachuk market.

I never buy catering packs but usually 100 or so sachets of seasoning pastes like Holy basil seasoning paste, green curry, Thai fried rice seasoning and many others. I find opening a fresh pack each time I cook Thai food better. I also buy tempura flower, 10 half kilo packs, a carton of lime powder sachets and loads of bottled spices crushed chillies etc. I even brought a half dozen packs of fresh cooked shrimp in those ring packs and got the Qatar Airways cabin staff to put them in the fridge for me

The last time I left LOS my foodstuffs were in a separate bag weighing 24 kg. I had no problems with customs but I returned To Saudi Arabia. Re the UK I have also brought foodstuffs to the UK from Saudi Arabia in similar quantities and had no trouble at all as long as you dint bring fish or meat int the UK you will have no trouble.

tony279760-old
December 12th, 2007, 16:49
thanks again guys for some very helpful responses.