PDA

View Full Version : What is a Ladyboy...Really?

Dodger
December 9th, 2007, 22:57
Why Kathoeys (or Ladyboys)?

After spending a considerable amount of time and energy over the past 10 years having relationships with the Ladyboys of Thailand, I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on the topic. In return for my efforts, IтАЩm hoping to receive some factual feedback related to your own experiences, especially as they relate to the life styles and the day-to-day habits and mannerisms of the Ladyboy(s) in your experience(s). Personal opinions about Ladyboys from those who have not had direct relations with them will have little value to this subject, so I would appreciate it if your feedback is focused and factual. I know thatтАЩs a ridiculous statement to make (here), but it never hurts to ask.

Beside the fact that IтАЩve been having relationships with ladyboys consistently over the past decade, IтАЩve also been doing research on the subject, not only to learn more about them, but in an effort to learn more about myself in the process.

My last three boy friends, including the love-of-my-life who I recently bonded with, all fall within this category. My first long-term relationship was with Boy Special. Over the five years that we were together, I watched him transition from a cute effeminate boy who looked great in a pair of baggy blue jeans and ruffled t-shirt тАУ to a full-fledged women (less the sex change operation) who IтАЩm happy to say, now graces the stage at TiffanyтАЩs. Personally, I would have preferred it if they would have just remained тАЬcute, effeminate boysтАЭ, although, it seemed impossible for any of them to avoid this transition, thus the reason I became interested in learning more about the subject.

First тАУ What are They?

In this post, the terms Ladyboy and Kathoey have the same meaning as these terms are used in Thai society interchangeably. The term Kathoey generally refers to a male-to female transgender person or an effeminate gay male in Thailand. They are also commonly referred to as Ladyboys, or as sao (or phuying) phuu ying praphet song (or, a second kind of women), or phet thee sam (third sex). IтАЩve heard the term used to categorize males who exhibit varying degrees of femininity, ranging anywhere from guys who simply dress like guys, and are closer to the western category of an effeminate gay male, to those who weтАЩve all seen that dress like women. Some decide to undergo feminizing medical procedures such as hormone replacement therapy, breast implants, or genital reassignment surgery, although, regardless of their gender presentation, their sexual orientation is primarily geared towards men who are not considered to be gay. Hmmm, that realization caused me personally to do a considerable amount of self exploration. A topic for a later date (I hope)).

A new ladyboy bar recently opened its doors in Sunee Plaza, which is staffed with a dozen or more stunning ladyboys, although there are very few customers. ItтАЩs my opinion that if the owners had done a similar research they would have opened their doors on Walking Street.

Most of the kathoeyтАЩs that IтАЩve interacted with express their satisfaction in changing only certain parts of the body (most often, the breasts), and most seem very content with having both penises and breast , as long as they are viewed as women, have heterosexual relationships with men and behave as a women. They see no need to transgress the gender boundary to become a тАЬtotalтАЭ woman at all. тАЬWhat we see here is actually the confident acceptance of their unique identity as kathoey. And most are proud to be seen as oneтАЭ. Quote taken from
Wong Ying Wuen, Natioanl University of Singapore, Department of Southeast Asian Studies

Thai Spiritual Beliefs

Kathoeys are often identified at an early age, and are considered in Thai culture to be тАЬborn that way.тАЭ

In the West sex and gender are defined above all in terms of anatomy, males have a penis, and women do not. In contrast, in Thailand (as in many other non-Western societies) maleness seems to be defined in terms of what you do with your anatomy (boy, do I get confused when trying to define тАЬmyselfтАЭ when it comes to this), specifically acting as the inserter in sex. If you donтАЩt conform to the stereotype in this regard you have foregone your claim to maleness, and may be allocated to other gender categories (Independent Researcher and Adjunct Professor, Hollins University, Virginia, USA)

Some interesting ideas about multiple genders are found in ancient Northern Thai creation myths which speak of three genders.

Just as genders are perceived as multiple, so too are they perceived in Thailand as transient. Buddhist teachings on impermanence re-birth across lives, and karmic fate may all serve to encourage a person to act on a desire for gender transition. For if all things are transient (even our souls) then why should gender be immutable within a lifetime, especially when the means to alter it are so clearly available today? Buddhist teachings hold that, until such time as we achieve enlightenment, we are all doomed to re-birth. If we are re-born to a future life, perhaps as someone quite different, why not be re-born in this life.

Buddhist teachings hold that the circumstances in which we live today are the product (karmic consequence) in the way in which we lived our previous lives. IтАЩve talked to many Thais who consider the kathoeyтАЩs condition as being karmic, specifically, the consequence of some sexual misdemeanor in an early life or lives. That she is a kathoey is not ideal, nevertheless, her condition is understandable. In talking to many kathoeyтАЩs, including the ones IтАЩve lived with, they also consider their condition to be karmic. According to a white paper published by the Division of, Development and Diversity, University of Hong Kong in 2002, тАЬBy contrast, to fight against ones condition would incur further bad karma.тАЭ

In a Social Context

Kathoeys usually work in traditionally feminine occupations including the entertainment business, dancers, cabaret shows, and of course, the profession we all seem to be well versed in, prostitution.

The kathoeys are much more visible in Thailand than anywhere else in the world, and most researchers estimate that there are somewhere around 300,000 kathoeys in Thailand..

The lives of kathoeys are not easy. Families (and from first-hand experience) especially fathers, are typically disappointed if a son turns out to be a kathoey. Legal recognition of a kathoey is non-existent in Thailand. Discrimination in employment and lending remains rampant. ItтАЩs also my opinion that many, if not most, grow up suffering from deep-rooted emotional problems due to a sense of abandonment at home and alienation at school in the early years. One researcher stated that thereтАЩs only an average of one kathoey per school, which is consistent with the stories IтАЩve heard from the kathoeys IтАЩve befriended over the years, as well as both Boy Special and Su.

A LadyBoy Named Su

Su, who I guess I can refer to as my little phuu ying praphet song, has lived a life which is not uncommon for a ladyboy. His father openly expressed his disappointment in Su when Su was around 5 or 6 years old, this being the first time the physical and psycological characteristics of a kathoey first exposed themselves. Su knew he was different from the very start and could do very little to change that, and actually, has never mentioned that he wanted to change this even if he had the power to do so.

It took 2 years before Su trusted me enough to begin exposing his soft side to me (OK, you morons, IтАЩm not referring to his ass). I sat back and listened to stories about how his father would just walk past him without a glance as he asked his daughter (SuтАЩs younger sister) to go with him to help carry things back from the market. For most of SuтАЩs life he would only go to the market and interact with other members of society with his mother. Hs stated that his father would rarely talk to him or even look at him. It dawned on me once, that at least based on my experiences, a gay Thai boy would usually shun the opportunity to hold my hand when out in the general public, although a ladyboy would grip my hand firmly and never let it go. With Su, I always wondered if this wasnтАЩt partially due to the alienation between him and his father during his youth.

Being the only kathoey in a school filled with adrenylin charged hetero boys has also left its scar. Kathoeys are commonly abused physically by other school children, and sometimes the teachers as well. For Su, this involved verbal abuse (which he described as if it were a constant daily occurrence) and sometimes physical abuse.. IтАЩve become convinced that the constant verbal abuse at that age has the potential for causing the most harm emotionally over time.

ItтАЩs also not considered uncommon for young kathoeys to get raped, although in Thai law any rape charges filed by a kathoey are classified as aggravated assault charges which carry a much lighter penalty than rape charges. The reason for this of course is that a kathoey, by Thai law, is still considered a male. There have been many attempts, mostly led by the Thai Lesbian Rights Council to get the laws revised to acknowledge the rights of the kathoey with no real progress to date.

Based on my experiences, both past and present, I consider the personality of a ladyboy to be exactly the same as a woman, only amplified or more complex in situations where the ladyboy may have been subject to extreme emotional and/or physical abuse. Su is no different. HeтАЩs moody as hell, has crying spells at the most unpredictable moments, spends hours in front of the mirror before his body reaches a normal temperature, and loves to be payed attention to. HeтАЩs never wrong and will launch heat seeking missiles from his eyes if ever proved wrong. YepтАжsounds like a woman to me. .

Ladyboy Stuff in General

If you ever wondered why so many ladyboys start taking hormones at age 20, this is because they have to sign up for the Thai Military Draft at age 21 and any boy (lady boy) who has breasts is usually considered exempt from military service. Having said that, most of the ladyboyтАЩs IтАЩve interacted with start taking hormones a little earlier in their development for the sole purpose of growing breasts. This also seems to be the time that they start wearing two sets of underpants to compress the bulge produced by their penis. Some actually apply tape to the crotch area to obtain the same effect.

Most kathoeys migrate to places like Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket for the opportunity to live in a sub-society with other kathoeys. I used to refer to them as a тАЬpack of wolves..тАЭ Most of you have all witnessed this before. They hang in clusters, share a cloak of secrecy that the CIA, FBI and KGB combined couldnтАЩt crack, and can sometimes be ruthless. I sat on Beach Road once during one of my very first trips to LOS and watched a kathoey pick a drunk farangs wallet slicker than a Hungarian Gypsy, and donтАЩt under estimate their fighting abilities. Many a farang has ended up waking up in an emergency room, or worse after tangling with a band of kathoeys. Researchers also commonly state the fact that kathoeys are, on average, much more creative and diligent than the average person. These characteristics seem to serve them well when working in-and-around the sex industry. I always find it amazing when watching them hatch from their cocoons in the morning appearing as chickens who just hatched from an egg тАУ to the beautiful girls we all see parading around PTY in the evening hours.

As tough, and sometimes ruthless as these kathoeys can be, they all have a very soft center. After interacting with a gay boy for ten minutes, I can pretty much read his whole personality. With a kathoey, it usually takes me at least a few years, if not longer. I can say without any hesitation, that the boy I just married is truly the most wonderful person IтАЩve ever met in my lifetime, and regardless if heтАЩs working in the family rice field wearing a pair of dirty jeans тАУ or dressed up in a sparkly dress and high heeled shoes, I love him just the same.

I know full well that many, if not most gay farangs donтАЩt like kathoeys, although I donтАЩt want this to sway your comments on this topic. My primary motivation for posting this topic is to stimulate conversation, and most importantly, obtain more information about kathoeys through any personal experiences youтАЩd be willing to share.

I think itтАЩs fare to say, that after reading this post, (if anyone could stay awake that long), that you now know probably more than anyone else on the planet about the topic of Kathoeys, due to the fact that the research on this topic is extremely limited and very few researchers (if any) can draw upon the actual experience of having a relationship with one.

So there...consider yourself blessedтАж555

mai pen rai

catawampuscat
December 9th, 2007, 23:34
Dodger is correct in thinking that Minou LB Bar would be better located on Walking Street in Pattaya.

I thought it was a nitch in the boy bar market that wasn't tried yet and thought it had a good chance
for success.. I have since been told by several farangs that they are not doing much business and unless things
pick up it may be a short lived concept, especially after high season ends..

I have also heard that Cats (no relationship) in Day-Nite is not exactly overcrowded with customers. The
concept there seems to be go go in bras and panties and red is the color of the day..

I have been curious about lady-boys and hope this thread will answer some of them.. I applaud Dodger on opening
up a seldom discussed topic. :cat:

December 10th, 2007, 00:00
An interesting post; thanks.
I note the reference to school life and recall that Philip Cornwel-Smith, in his fascinating "Very Thai", claims that schools often have their own groups of khatoey who provide mutual support and are visible and separate.

I also recall reading in a Thai gay magazine an interview with a khatoey who said that she won a beauty competition at her school; this would suggest some degree of social acceptance. Perhaps there is difference here between rural schools, such as Dodger's bf presumably attended, and those in Bangkok and perhaps Chiang Mai. Social attitudes in cities are often more accommodating.

December 10th, 2007, 00:53
Is it possible that a boy could take hormones for breast enlargement, and then stop taking them, leaving him with very enlarged nipples but otherwise flat chested? Encountered a boy like this in Krazydragon and was just wondering.

December 10th, 2007, 02:28
Is it possible that a boy could take hormones for breast enlargement, and then stop taking them, leaving him with very enlarged nipples but otherwise flat chested?

At the end of the day kcurterif, anything is possible. I guess it all comes down to how much anybody wants to believe it
so. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/shrugs.gif

G.

December 10th, 2007, 03:19
George
The protruding points were the thickness of my fingertip! Seen this on women but never men. Just curious if it was hormone induced.
kcurt

December 10th, 2007, 06:28
George
The protruding points were the thickness of my fingertip! Seen this on women but never men. Just curious if it was hormone induced.
kcurt

Sorry about my reply to you kcurterif, on reading it again, I realised it could be interpreted as being flippant which wasn't my intention. As you will I hope appreciate, the written word can come across totally different to the spoken one.

I also apologise to Dodger, as his post deserved a much better contribution from me than the post I made. With regard to your original question kcurterif, which I realise was very genuine; in all honesty, I really don't have a clue. No more in fact than I do about ladyboys in general.

Although I have read posts of Dodgers before, I have learned more about him in his post above, than I ever knew before, as I did not realise that he was attracted as much to Ladyboys as now seems to be the case in what he has said above.

With the exception of the "Thai Spiritual beliefs" section of Dodgers post, of which I was aware where Ladyboys are concerned, I know very little else about them. Being someone that has a couple of heterosexual friends that are really turned on by ladyboys and who have talked to me about their fantasy's, as have certain Ladyboy friends of mine about what they believe to be the fantasy's of the majority of guys that go with them, my knowlede of this subject is none-existent.

Some ladyboys, as we all know, make absolutely stunning looking Girls/Lady's and from what I can gather, it is the fantasy of every straight guy, to get his dick sucked by a gorgeous looking "female". That remark by the way is one I do not make in jest.

Whilst I am someone, that although having his own set of principles and morals, never make judgements on anyone else or, what they do. That said, I have to say I fail to understand how someone can be classified as gay, whilst wanting to go with someone, that to all sense and purposes, think of themselves as a female as well as dressing as one. I know things are never that easy when you really analyse them, but to me, a gay person is someone I look on as being sexually turned on by a member of his own sex, whether that be a boy or a man. Now whilst a Ladyboy without the operation is biologically a male, that is the only way, he/she is a male.

So the question following that little appraisal of mine is: What is it about a Ladyboy, that turns someone on that professes to be gay, to want to go with them instead of going with the real thing? I can understand why heterosexual males go with Ladyboys, because as well as the fantasies mentioned briefly by me above, they categorically claim that they get better head of the Ladyboys than any of the female partners they have or have had. Again no jest meant on my part by that statement

So with that said, whilst I make no judgement on guys professing to be gay and desiring Ladyboys, such as Dodger, I am afraid I am just totally left on the Island as the Ferry pulls out on this one, in the sense that I just do not understand why and am totally mystified by it. As someone that has had many good laughs in the company of ladyboys, as well as enjoying their company in a crowd and on a night out, I could no more have sex with one of them, than I could with Homitern. In fact, thinking about this a little, the Ladyboys, would in all probability, just edge that one. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

Back on a serious note and in view of the little knowledge I have of the subject, it would make far more sense to me as has already been pointed out, for the new bar in Sunee, Minou, to be located on Walking Street. In fact, I think the bar would do a roaring business there, as opposed to being pretty much empty as it is now every night and has been every night apart from its successful opening. If we are honest with one another, the opening night was only successful because people either went along to support Louis in his new venture, or out of curiosity of a new and an untried before concept.

So, to conclude this post, like Cat, I too have always been curious about lady-boys, and also hope that this thread will answer some of my questions. And again like Cat, I also applaud Dodger on opening up a topic that is rarely, if ever, discussed here.

Chok Dee Dodger,

George.

alipatt-old
December 10th, 2007, 07:03
I am extremly confused as to my feeling about ladyboys.
I do know some Thai in Auckland that have had implants and I have not found them attractive, that may be because I know them as friends. I have also met some very fem Thai boys that I have totally lusted over.
On planing my trip to Thailand at the end of the year I have been chatting on Romeo and have found the prospect of meeting a ladyboy to be one that I wish very much to forfill.
It may be that in my hetrosexual past I was unable to express what I felt but again with the thought of fem and ladyboys I once more am totally lost and confused about what the hell I want in a relationship.

Sorry George although I love the thought of a ladyboy relationship I have no idea why.

krobbie
December 10th, 2007, 07:21
Is it possible that a boy could take hormones for breast enlargement, and then stop taking them, leaving him with very enlarged nipples but otherwise flat chested? Encountered a boy like this in Krazydragon and was just wondering.

From personal experience, someone who has previously taken female hormones and then desists is left with little mounds as like a young girl. This depends how far into the course of treatment it was before the person stopped. I think the person I refer to was using them for about 6 months.

I have just reread this post so have to edit: ... this person IS NOT me :-) Phew, I hope that's cleared up.

Cheers

December 10th, 2007, 07:45
I am extremly confused as to my feeling about ladyboys.
I do know some Thai in Auckland that have had implants and I have not found them attractive, that may be because I know them as friends. I have also met some very fem Thai boys that I have totally lusted over.
On planing my trip to Thailand at the end of the year I have been chatting on Romeo and have found the prospect of meeting a ladyboy to be one that I wish very much to forfill.
It may be that in my hetrosexual past I was unable to express what I felt but again with the thought of fem and ladyboys I once more am totally lost and confused about what the hell I want in a relationship.

Sorry George although I love the thought of a ladyboy relationship I have no idea why.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/roflao.gif No need for aplogies Alipatt, you certainly couldn't have been any more honest in your post, although you sound as though you are as equally confused as me on the subject. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

Hopefully by the time this thread is concluded, we will both become more enlightened on the subject.

George.

dave_tf-old
December 10th, 2007, 08:19
I remember when I was young hearing a father say about his son: He still thinks girls are just soft boys. He meant that his son was not yet old enough to be interested in girls 'that way', but that statement has always stayed with me. In terms of instant visual attraction, that pretty much describes what 'works' for me...soft boys. Add a little wiggle-room butch/nellie for a more slowly developing attraction. There's already plenty of wiggle room just within the 'soft boys' description.

Dodger has described a continuum related to gender identity and 'manner' all lumped under a few English and Thai terms. Considering the wide range that humans exhibit in combining 'masculine' and 'feminine' traits, that seems more efficient, although still lacking. By defining homosexuality and heterosexuality differently as well (as a physical act rather than anything related to gender identity or mannerisms) that also makes sense.

If there weren't extreme examples of 'masculinity' and 'femininity' (beyond the biological presence or absence of a penis) the concepts either wouldn't exist or would have different meaning. Everybody knows some straight person (male or female) who exhibits at least some personality traits of the gender they are not. I offer 'straight' examples so as not to confuse sexual attraction and sex with gender traits and mannerisms...they are simply not as varied as 'gay' people are.

In seperating gender traits from both physcial gender and physical sexual behavior, the Thai folk-mindset seems a good way to do it.

It is more 'gay' in the western sense of the word for a man to be attracted to lady-boys because of the way we tend to define gender biologically, and include mannerisms as being part of sexual identity...sissy=gay (rightly or wrongly). If Dodger's observations are correct, it isn't as 'gay' for a Thai man to be attracted to Lady-Boys.

None of this takes into account sexual and gender politics which have arisen in the last 40 years to replace common sense and individuality. I think where the Thai have it wrong is that there are more than 3 'sexes' and many more than 3 sexualities. It's the stuff for 1000 PhD dissertations (beyond my ability), but so far this thread has been a good primer for street-level understanding.

December 10th, 2007, 10:57
...very few researchers (if any) can draw upon the actual experience of having a relationship with one....

Ugh, been there, done that. The "boyfriend" before the current one was a full blown ladyboy - long hair, boobs and all. What a fcuking nightmare! Hormones mixed with xtasy and yabba. I got taken big time, mainly because her cock was bigger than my brain.

I don't have a lot to add to the comments already made except for one observation. It seems on other boards and websites devoted to "ladyboy lovers" the posters almost all vehemently deny they are "gay". I don't quite grasp where they are coming from. And here I'll bet many posters have the idea that if one likes ladyboys they can't possibly be gay!

The hell with labels.
Mai pben rai.

dave_tf-old
December 10th, 2007, 11:25
It seems on other boards and websites devoted to "ladyboy lovers" the posters almost all vehemently deny they are "gay". I don't quite grasp where they are coming from. And here I'll bet many posters have the idea that if one likes ladyboys they can't possibly be gay!

The hell with labels.
Mai pben rai.

Really? So the opinion I slaved so many seconds to form is incorrect? Or are they Thai?

Shut up, Dawit.

December 10th, 2007, 12:49

Really? So the opinion I slaved so many seconds to form is incorrect? Or are they Thai?

Shut up, Dawit.

(edited the next day in a state of sobriety)

The "ladyboy" websites I've visited cater to westerners who apparently largely consider themselves "straight". Mind you. these websites don't have many "fem-boys" on them but mostly big boobed ladyboys and some post-op.

krobbie
December 10th, 2007, 15:49
...very few researchers (if any) can draw upon the actual experience of having a relationship with one....

Ugh, been there, done that. The "boyfriend" before the current one was a full blown ladyboy - long hair, boobs and all. What a fcuking nightmare! Hormones mixed with xtasy and yabba. I got taken big time, mainly because her cock was bigger than my brain.

The hell with labels.
Mai pben rai.

Oh Ken ... sorry but I'm still laughing at this paragraph. The cock versus brain thing is totally understandable to me. Whether ladyboy or gay ... I couldn't even think of being with someone who doesn't have the equipment that turns me on.

There is actually a bizarre story I have from yet more personal experience and if this thread goes until tomorrow, I may just tell you.

Cheers and goodnight from "down under"

December 10th, 2007, 20:38
Why Kathoeys (or Ladyboys)?

In this post, the terms Ladyboy and Kathoey have the same meaning as these terms are used in Thai society interchangeably. The term Kathoey ......

....... most seem very content with having both penises and breast , as long as they are viewed as women, have heterosexual relationships with men

A couple of minor points (and I am not referrin to nipple size ...)

1. There are actually two meanings in Thai for Kathoey, depending on the pronunciation. An "oy" pronunciation refers to what is euphemistically referred to as a lady boy or transvestite, who will inevitably use the term "kha"; an "er-y"pronunciation refers to an effeminate male, who will usually use the term "khrap".

2. Without going into lurid detail, surely it is physically impossible for two men (both equipped below the waist as nature intended) to have any sort of physical heterosexual relationship??

Dodger
December 10th, 2007, 21:06
GoneFishing,

2. Without going into lurid detail, surely it is physically impossible for two men (both equipped below the waist as nature intended) to have any sort of physical heterosexual relationship??

In the mind of a Ladyboy, having sex with a heterosexual male is considered heterosexual sex, regardless of the fact that they themselves have a penis.

I guess my question would be: If a Labyboy lives, thinks breaths, and has the same sexual inclinations as a woman, then should the Ladyboy be categorized as being Gay???

December 10th, 2007, 22:23
GoneFishing,

In the mind of a Ladyboy, having sex with a heterosexual male is considered heterosexual sex, regardless of the fact that they themselves have a penis.

I guess my question would be: If a Labyboy lives, thinks breaths, and has the same sexual inclinations as a woman, then should the Ladyboy be categorized as being Gay???

It seems diificult to explain this because in doing so we use our own "cutural vocabulary". I know what I mean but how do I say this? We think in terms of homosexual and hetersexual. We have come to think of a term ladyboy, but what is the term used for a man that likes sex with a ladyboy? Those friends of mine that are ladyboys have "husbands" some homosexual, some heterolsexual. So maybe there is no distinction. Maybe it is just sex. What do 2 "gay" guys that have anal sex (one top, one bottom) consider it. What does 1 straight guy and 1 gay guy consider anal sex when done together (like when we off a straight man at a bar)? Does the gay guy think he is having gay sex and the straight guy think he is having heteolsexual sex?

It is hard for me to discuss this with my boy's ladyboy friend since I do not speak much Thai. They think "I think too much". I am content to just accept the fact.

I do not understand ladyboy sex nor gay sex nor any other sex. Nor do I question it anymore.

December 11th, 2007, 08:24

Congradulations Dodger! You just touched the 3rd rail of Gay Politics in America right now!

The House just passed an "Employment Non-Discrimination Act", which would protect gay people against workplace discrimination. However, as part of the deal to get it passed they had to strip out the provision for "gender identity" which would have protected "transgender" people. There is a firestorm of a debate right now about "incrementalism" with people like Rep. Barney Frank and the Human Rights Watch lobbyists saying "we'll get what we can now and come back for the rest of you later" and many other activists decrying the "sellout" of one group to benefit another.
And of course we are getting all tripped up by labels. I've seen many a letter-to-the-editor questioning weather transgender people should really be classified as "gay".
There is another storm in the Leather community as to wether FTM (female-to-male) folks should be allowed to compete as "men" in Leather contests. And other stories of Lesbian groups refusing to allow MTF (male-to-female) to join in their groups.

Its kind of sad when you consider Stonewall was a "Tranny Bar" and it was the Gals there that started our Gay Revolt.

December 12th, 2007, 21:03
What does 1 straight guy and 1 gay guy consider anal sex when done together (like when we off a straight man at a bar)? Does the gay guy think he is having gay sex and the straight guy think he is having heteolsexual sex?

Now that one's simple for both:

The gay customer thinks he is having gay sex, and paying for it, while the straight bar boy simply thinks he is doing a job for which he is paid. End of story.

Wesley
December 13th, 2007, 04:39
I no desire to know anymore than I already do about a lady boy. Had I wanted a woman I would have remained married.

Wesley

December 13th, 2007, 07:37
to each his own is the best policy, I am sure, but I do agree with wesley and a few others who have no understanding of the attraction the ladyboys or even the slightly fem to very fem, but not ladyboys (no long hair, fake boobs. dressing entirely as a woman, etc) boys that the "step in between" ladyboys and boys or ladymen and men. Frankly, the very fem boys, who are not ladyboys, I find the most unappealing, as they attempt to mimic the mannerisms of girls/women and while not dressing exactly like women/adyboys do, they dress in very frilly, lacey, more feminine clothing, have longer nails, wear some makeup (yes, I do know that many of the lads, even the very straight lads, will often wear some kind of makeup to make them look a bit better to customers in bar lights or to hide skin imperfections, etc)--some fems wear the lipstick, eyeshadow, and a woman's perfume, etc, so that minus the fake boobs, etc, you'd swear they were little girls.

Rather than hear what makes a ladyboy, I would honestly like to hear from gays what it is about a ladyboy or the fem nellies that is the attraction. I have one close friend, who has a boyfriend, that if you did not know better, resembles an underage Thai girl, even though, he/she is really 22 years old and considers him/herself gay. My friend says he really does not know what attracts him to this type of "lad"--he has guessed that they are less threatening than bigger, stronger, more masculine guys and are more readily a bottom--but then when he tells me of the shrieking and womanlike behavior demonstrated by his "boyfriend" during sex, it sounds as if it might when having sex with a woman--which I find very unappealing. It just seems that gay men--the attraction to "same sex" would not be attracted to male who, in essence, looks, acts, and in many cases has most of the equipment of a female??

What is the turn on to ladyboys or the really fem lads?

December 13th, 2007, 08:08

Sammy, if a fem-boy in girls' underwear doesn't turn you on there is just no way to explain it. :flower:

There are some things that I don't understand either. S & M for one. I am completely baffled how anyone can get a sexual charge out of giving or receiving pain. The whole leather scene is another thing that turns me off.

Well, like you say, to each his own..... :dontknow:

December 13th, 2007, 09:07

Sammy, if a fem-boy in girls' underwear doesn't turn you on there is just no way to explain it. :flower:

There are some things that I don't understand either. S & M for one. I am completely baffled how anyone can get a sexual charge out of giving or receiving pain. The whole leather scene is another thing that turns me off.

Well, like you say, to each his own..... :dontknow:

Well,

Then of course you have those wonderful people who piss, shit, spit and everything else on the love of their life!

Bizarre really!

Funnily enough, for all the comments on this thread, A good hearted ladyboy can be one of the best and most loyal friends you have.

However, you are unlikely to meet here on Beach Road at 2.00am

dave_tf-old
December 13th, 2007, 09:38
Surely one of the most surprising things I've learned in this thread would be that men attracted to Lady Boys would not be considered 'gay' by many readers of this board. Are there somewhat effeminate posters here who prefer more masculine guys? Is that more 'gay' than the other way round? Could it be (not saying that it is) more of a question of political solidarity than failure to appreciate another person's attraction?

Since the whole masculine~feminine thing is not made up of solid blocs but gradations, the logic of that assumption taken to extreme would be that only stereoptypical 'masculine' men attracted to other stereoptypical 'masculine' men would rate as gay. A Humphrey Bogart/Ernest Borgnine pairing is the ideal vision of gayness? I'm stumped.

krobbie
December 13th, 2007, 14:07
We are many and varied creatures on this board. The one thing we are the same in, is being gay.

So ... to me, no matter who we like to fuck or be fucked by and why, is totally irrelevent. That's why we're all so bloody fascinating. :hello2:

Cheers,
krobbie

December 13th, 2007, 14:37
We are many and varied creatures on this board. The one thing we are the same in, is being gay.

So ... to me, no matter who we like to fuck or be fucked by and why, is totally irrelevent. That's why we're all so bloody fascinating. :hello2:

Cheers,
krobbie

Correct,

Or next time there will be league tables of acceptability.

Those who like Men/boys, stocky or slim,,those who like body hair or no hair.

Those who like long haired/short haired ladyboys etc etc.

Scores on the doors and points make prizes, I feel, we don't need to be going there!

Hmmm
December 13th, 2007, 16:32
The only thing I can't understand are the guys who believe their own particular position on the psycho-sexual continuum is perfectly normal and rational, while everyone else's is so weird as to be incomprehensible.

Dodger
December 13th, 2007, 16:41
I agree with the last few posters comments which lean towards the acknowledgment and acceptance of the variation we all exhibit (Thai and farang) in our sexual identities, especially DaveTF's statement about these identities (or preferences) being in "graduations" versus "buckets".

I've never had any sexual attraction whatsoever towards the musclebound macho type guys, although have many gay friends who do. I can honestly say that I've never felt confused by this, just aware that my friend's sexual identities were different than mine.

This past weekend, I sat in my home office thumbing through a photo album which is dedicated to pictures of Su (my BF) which have been taken over a 3 year period. I have to admit that I find him more appealing when he's dressed like a guy versus the shots of him where he's wearing makeup and dressed like a girl, although, when we're together in our most intimate moments, he/she always looks fabulous to me. As you could probably assume, his preference is "bottom" with mine being the "top", although we both enjoy versatility which keeps things exciting. I find it hard to imagine sometimes how someone wouldn't be turn-on by a good looking feminine guy as he struggles frantically to pull you deeper inside him...as he screeches for more....hmmmmmmmm. Just a matter of preference I guess.

mai pen rai

December 14th, 2007, 08:25
Surely one of the most surprising things I've learned in this thread would be that men attracted to Lady Boys would not be considered 'gay' by many readers of this board.....

OOPS. Sorry if I wasn't clear Dave. I was refering to OTHER boards that are specifically catering to the ladyboy-lover crowd. For instance the LB-69 message board or the one run by Stringfellows bar. I've noticed in the past whenever the question comes up "Are you GAY or what???" most of the posters angrily deny they are. They're "straight" but they like their girls with a little something extra (?). Of course these same guys wouldn't be caught dead with a "real woman". They are completely besotted by ladyboys ( but not "fem-boys).
I never tried to figure out the mentality. I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

I'm pretty sure the posters here mostly self-identify as gay, no matter what their tastes.

Wesley
December 14th, 2007, 10:35
I have no problem with those that do, I just don't care to know anymore than I do about lady boys. I tend to like average guys and not muscle bound men or huge irregular size dicks either. I just like boys... average boys with a heart. Give me that and what they look like is irrelevant to me to a degree.

Wesley

Dodger
December 14th, 2007, 15:55
Wesley

I have no problem with those that do, I just don't care to know anymore than I do about lady boys.

I think you may have clicked on the wrong post.

Aunty
December 14th, 2007, 18:00
There are clear and important differences between sexual activity, sexual identity, sexual orientation and oneтАЩs biological sex. We all have these, and they interact and sum together within us to define who we are. The first three (below) are commonplace and intuitively understood. But the next two? How are they to be classified? Should they even be classified according to standard paradigms? Who knows? Human behaviour is complex and so too is human sexuality. I suppose if one wants to label, it all comes down to how one assembles these various classifications (by no means complete) into a hierarchy of determinants of identity and how one or more of these predicts the other. Sexual identity (and the perception thereof) may turn out to be a very important determinant of behaviour.

Biological sex тАУ male
Sexual identity тАУ male
Sexual activity тАУ with men
Sexual orientation тАУ homosexual

Biological sex тАУ male
Sexual identity тАУ male
Sexual activity тАУ with women
Sexual orientation тАУ heterosexual

Biological sex тАУ female
Sexual identity тАУ female
Sexual orientation тАУ heterosexual

Biological sex тАУ male
Sexual identity тАУ female
Sexual orientation тАУ heterosexual? homosexual?

Biological sex тАУ male
Sexual identity тАУ male
Sexual activity тАУ with men for money
Sexual orientation тАУ heterosexual? homosexual?

December 15th, 2007, 01:10
Dodger - IтАЩm just a bit curious about one point and itтАЩs probably none of my business, but ... Does your ladyboy companion mind being referred to as your тАЬboyfriendтАЭ? The reason I ask is I have a (non-thai) friend of many years who is an M to F transexual, and while in her transitional years she was definitely not happy when others referred to her as тАЬhimтАЭ, тАЬheтАЭ, or other тАЬmale pronounsтАЭ as she called it. I realise the western concept of transexual is not necessarily equivalent to thai ladyboy, but you got me thinking ...

Anyway, despite my far too personal question, best wishes to you and Su.

Dodger
December 15th, 2007, 03:51
SisterSledge,

Does your ladyboy companion mind being referred to as your тАЬboyfriendтАЭ?

That's a good question, as this had me puzzled for a while as well.

During the first 2 years in our relationship I'd always refer to him as "him" or my boyfriend, although, I started to notice that his Thai friends (gay males and ladyboys), would frequently referred to him as "her", or Dodgers girlfriend, especially after his transition from dressing like a boy - to sometimes dressing like a girl. I really think he (she) prefers being referred to as my girlfriend.

Understanding that most ladyboys see themselves as women, and prefer that others do as well, I guess it only makes sense that they would want to be referred to as a woman (or girl).

I'm sure my father will applaud the news of my marriage to a girl during our Christmas get together, which comes right on the heels of me exposing my gayhood to my family just a year ago. The real challenge is going to be stopping him from biting his cigar in half again as I explain this Ladyboy stuff...55555

December 15th, 2007, 04:05
Does your ladyboy companion mind being referred to as your тАЬboyfriendтАЭ?

My Thaifriend is transgender and we meet in Phuket soon. I ask what people name here " She or Him " ?

She anser : " I am She not Him " . :bigsmurf:

December 15th, 2007, 06:45
......I'm sure my father will applaud the news of my marriage to a girl during our Christmas get together, which comes right on the heels of me exposing my gayhood to my family just a year ago. The real challenge is going to be stopping him from biting his cigar in half again as I explain this Ladyboy stuff...55555

Dodger, was Su the one that outed you on "Chicago TV" many moons ago when you were showing your family videos from your trip?

Dodger
December 15th, 2007, 08:21
Kenk...

No, that wonderful segment was starring Boy Special.

I'm surprised that you remember that. As a result of that incident, the shots I have of Su will never reach Chicago...LOL

December 16th, 2007, 03:07
Aunty made a list of some unanswered questions and while it is different strokes for different folks and it doesn't really matter who calls themselves gay or not, and as Kquill said, there are those who get their jollies by being shit or pissed on (does it matter if it is a male or female doing the shitting and/or pissing??--I'm guessing it does), but if gay, in general, is attaction for same sex, how does that fit with having a boyfriend or girlfriend that dresses like a woman, talks like a woman, wears women's clothing and takes on a woman's mannerisms and likes to be referred to as a she/woman, wears those frilly, lacey, pink panties and screams like a woman in the sack--it must the remaining dick that is the same sex attraction?

As some earlier poster mentioned, many full-blown ladyboys or some very fem lads taking the hormone tablets and who knows what else, do greatly enjoy the melodrama and are too often full of what is called the 'roid rage---I have seen friends who have been put through hell by the "ladies".

December 16th, 2007, 04:19
The fact of the matter, is, Darling, that straight men love to screw a tight hole! Is there any point to theorise this any longer?????

t is very well known that ladyboys receive most of their trade from drunken farangs after the bars shut and they leave the shanky short bargirls with their smelly flabby pussies behind in the bar whinging and whining and loooking for a wedding ring. These drunk straight farangs then get their piece of ladyboy arse and can fuck and suck it all night long - the ladyboy will be in heaven and they also get paid for it sweetie.

In addition to this, they are also popular with the arab trade who love a tight hole and group action. try getting a bar girl to do that, Pet!

December 16th, 2007, 08:20
well, paul, i am sure some ladyboys get their trade from drunken farangs, but dodger and others here have entered those waters with eyes wide open and I am sure sober for a good part of the day, and friends of mine have done the same, and while it doesn't really matter neither does most of what is discussed on this board, so that is why i posed another question.

December 16th, 2007, 12:18
ENOUGH OF THIS NONSENSE!

Lets have some fun! :cheers:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pa3mz8lNGV8&feature=PlayList&p=54F4DF30022E6375&index=7

Dodger
December 16th, 2007, 17:20
Kenc...

I just finished laughing my ass off.. A first for 6:00 AM on a Sunday morning...Thanks!

r33lme
May 9th, 2018, 23:24
Regarding the "Are ladyboy lovers gay or straight" issue: I don't have the answer, but a friend said:
"You're not attracted to men who look like men, so you're not really gay, are you?"
To which my answer was, "Well, I can see your point, and it makes sense. But I do love her cock. In my hand, in my mouth, in my ass, I can't get enough of that glorious dick. I will suck her cock, swallow the jizz and lick the sweat off her balls. And I may be going out on a limb here, but I think that's at least a tiny bit gay.

a447
May 10th, 2018, 07:39
If you are "going out on a limb," then yes, that is more than just a tiny bit gay!

nordicguy
May 20th, 2018, 04:22
From a really good friend (who used to be, seemingly, straight) I know that being attracted to Asian ladyboys and acting on it is the first small step on a long jouney towards acceptance of your attraction to men/boys. A much too late but very needed acceptance of his bisexuality and his attraction to beautiful Asian boys.

It's might be that Asian ladyboys have fake tits and girly outfits and long eyelashes, but the part of the body that makes the difference and gives the men from Europe and US a hard-on in their pants is the lower part of the body - the dick and the tight sexy little ass.

All those silly arguments about their beauty and special features (yes, they can be beautiful, but they all have clear BOYISH features, not girly features, even the most feminine of them - true gay men can see that!). Or this talk about their 'super perfect tits'. Well, many of the other Asian girls have perfect tits too. Why chose a ladyboy?

My friend got caught by his wife who found out he was watching Thai ladyboy porn all the time, and she realised what he might have been doing on his trips to SE Asia. When she confronted him, he came up with these silly explanations (perfect tits and good looks). He even claimed that when he watched Thai ladyboy porn, he never looked at the lower part of the ladyboy's bodies. She didn't buy it, obviously. My friend got divorced after a while, and that was a turning point in his life. He realised that it was actually the dick and the boy-like butts of those Thai ladyboys that turned him on. He began watching real gay porn with Asian boys and next time he was in Thailand he had sex with both boys and ladyboys. He's very much into analsex, and while he and I had a really honest talk about this recently, he admitted to me that he really never liked vaginal sex with girls, he had always had an almost exclusive preference for anal sex since he was young (as top only). He actually had never focussed on that part of the female body when having sex with girls or watching porn.

And the point of the story? My view is that ladyboys are gay boys. A very feminine and often very submissive variant, but nevertheless 100% boys since they have a dick. It's the vagina that makes girls girls and the dick that makes boys boys. It is - admittedly - a rather conservative viewpoint in these times of identity policy where it's all about your perception of yourself and others and not about physical bodily realities, but still I would claim that if these farangs really had an exclusive preference for girls as many of them claim, in the beginning at least, they would also prefer a person with a vagina. All the rest (dressing, attitudes etc.) is more about the role and position in bed rather than gender. Even the most feminine and slutty bottom boy wearing some typical femboy clothing is still a boy, right? It's all about the dick..even if you don't focus on the dick and spend the time on his ass instead. It's still there....

francois
May 20th, 2018, 12:36
Regarding the "Are ladyboy lovers gay or straight" issue: I don't have the answer, but a friend said:
"You're not attracted to men who look like men, so you're not really gay, are you?"

r33lme, this post is from over 10 years ago. Out of curiosity why did you choose this as your first post on Sawatdee?

Kertom
May 27th, 2018, 16:59
I completely dissagree with the notion of ladyboys being a stepping stone to embracing ones inner gay person.
It completely polarises sexuality. In my opinion we are all somewhat attracted to the weird and macabre. Not to mention most of us are just perverted :-)

scottish-guy
May 27th, 2018, 17:13
In my opinion we are all somewhat attracted to the weird and macabre. Not to mention most of us are just perverted :-)

Well said - in another thread a member commented that he wished a certain person hadn't died so he could have fucked him.

That comment was roundly condemned - yet I suspect a few of the "outraged" are so far out on the fringes that the person still being alive wouldn't necessarily be a red line.

:mocking_mini: