PDA

View Full Version : From Sukhumvit to Silom

netrix
December 9th, 2007, 16:00
Okay, I've been to Pattaya a couple of times, but New Year's week will be my first time in Bangkok. I've read a lot on the boards about the hot spots to visit. There's plenty of info about the bars and saunas, etc. so I think I have some good ideas from input of board members already for the places I want to check out. But what I could use some help with is how to best get around in BKK. Specifically, how far is it from the Sukhumvit area to the Silom area? Any tips on the Skytrain vs. taxi's, etc. would be appreciated.

There's also been lots of discussion about what hotels to stay at if you're looking for economy...but I usually stay at Starwood properties for the "Preferred Guest" program. So this holiday I have booked a room at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit. It's a 5 star hotel right in the Sukhumvit area, and the stay will be almost free for me after redeeming a bunch of points. Anyone have any experience with that hotel, or know how far it is from some of the gay areas?

Any other advice from someone who's spent New Year's in Bangkok would be great too! Thanks for your help.

TrongpaiExpat
December 9th, 2007, 16:06
Last New Years in Bangkok there were bombs. That might put a damper on things this year. I was lucky and was in Nong Khai last year and plan on being in Pattaya this new year's eve.

Sen Yai
December 9th, 2007, 17:04
netrix, the Westin Grande is very well located for access to the rail system. It's right on the intersection of the Skytrain (BTS) and Metro (BMCL) networks with Asoke (E4) skytrain and Sukhumvit Metro stations on the doorstep. There are many maps available on-line, but here's quite good one: Skytrain and metro map (http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/bangkok_map/bangkok_skytrain_metro_map.html) The distance from Asoke to Silom / Saladaeng is about 5kms and will take about 15 minutes on either system, or you could walk it in about 45mins!

The trains run from 6:00am to midnight and will probably run later on new year's eve. So if you plan to go to the Silom area in the evening, it is easy to go by train and return by taxi. The taxi fare will be about 50-60 baht depending on traffic, but returning after midnight the roads will be clear.

I've never stayed at the Westin Sukhumvit. Being close to Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy, that part of town tends to be full of businessmen and str8's.

I've been to Bangkok for New Year many times and will be there again this year. There are fireworks on the Chao Phraya river - take the skytrain to Saphan Taksin if you're interested in that, otherwise there are just the usual NYE parties everywhere. DJ Station will be completely packed so go early if you enjoy the sweaty bodies.

gumblebee
December 9th, 2007, 17:07
Stayed in the same area a few months ago. Never went into the Westin hotel.
In the same complex as the hotel there's a Robinson's store, a Mac Donald's and in the basement there's a supermarket and i.i.r.c. a Thai food court. To get to the skytrain station (Asok) you'll simply have to cross soi 19 ; the entrance to the subway station (Sukhumvit) is a bit further along Sukhumvit. A taxi to Silom will be about 70 bath, 15 minutes if traffic is quiet (i.e. the evening). During the day traffic is too intense and the subway/skytrain are much faster for getting around (taxi's are great when it's raining or you get too hot though).