PDA

View Full Version : 5000 officials to ensure a clean election in Pattaya area

December 8th, 2007, 07:44
"5,000 law enforcement officials to ensure general election in Pattaya is a clean one. Police on watch for armed thugs
Chonburi Governor Pracha Taerat, city officials and police want to ensure fair elections on December 23.

Pattaya Mail - Ariyawat Nuamsawat

Chonburi Province communities and the provincial police are readying themselves for the general election on December 23, with local residents rallying in support of the policy against vote buying, and the police on high alert for armed thugs.

Residents held a rally in support of holding a clean election in the Pattaya Beach Road Soi 4 area on November 28, marching to Bali Hai Pier to promote the message.
Chonburi Governor Pracha Taerat said that it was the official policy of the interim military government that the election be a completely clean one, and said that the people of the province are all in favor of this.

Chonburi Provincial Police Headquarters has meanwhile begun a surveillance program to seek out criminal elements that might try and influence voters.
Pracha said that although the national target is to get at least 70 percent of the electorate out to the hustings, in Chonburi Province the policy is to get no less than 75 percent out to exercise their right to vote.
Chonburi election Zone 2, which includes Sattahip, Banglamung (Pattaya), parts of Laem Chabang and Sriracha, will have 5,000 law enforcement officers consisting of police, military personnel and civil volunteers out on the streets to ensure that the voting is free and fair."

Pattaya Mail

I am rather surprised to read of the possibility of armed thugs encouraging people to vote in any particular direction.

I understand that bars will close by midnight on the 22nd and may be allowed to open on the 23rd after the polling booths have closed - 8 to 9 p.m?

December 8th, 2007, 12:46
I am rather surprised to read of the possibility of armed thugs encouraging people to vote in any particular direction.How long have you lived in Thailand?