PDA

View Full Version : Dec 5 - H.M. The King.

jinks
December 4th, 2007, 13:04
OFFICIAL SITE 80Th BIRTHDAY http://www.80thbirthdayanniversary.go.th/

IN ENGLISH = http://www.80thbirthdayanniversary.go.th/en/index.php

http://www.jinks.clara.net/forum/5dec07.jpg

ROYAL ADDRESS "May you all remain firm in unity and noble thoughts, as this is the special quality that has kept our Thai nation safe and secure, and helped us all co-exist in peace and happiness since ancient times. As long as such a quality can be maintained by all of us, we can rest assured that our nation will remain secure and strengthened."

December 4th, 2007, 16:17
Well, without doubt this guy is a good person, but WHY do we have to join all the brain laundered Thai "sheep" with such an address.

Too many people died in the world to get rid our modern democracies from monarchs and I never stand up during these ridiculous anthems playing in movie theaters before the film starts. I love to observe the reactions of the Thais while doing so :-) !

As a convinced republican I acknowledge that Thailand is an immature country and that Mr Bhumibol played rather a good role during his reign (not so during the last putsch) . But he is not immortal and the cult around his personality is ridiculous.

Happy birthday anyway!

P.S. We all should not forget that Thailand (and many Thai families) need us more than we need them. There are "boys" in other countries too :-) !

Marsilius
December 4th, 2007, 17:02
It appears that I am not the only one to object to being automatically included in the offer of "loyal greetings".

"Happy Birthday", OK... But why on earth are the non-Thai members of this board (the vast majority, I'd assume) presumptiously lumped together in offering "loyal" greetings when they are not even subjects of the Thai king?

jinks
December 4th, 2007, 17:34
King's birthday-eve speech (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=124222)

PeterUK
December 4th, 2007, 17:51
"Happy Birthday", OK... But why on earth are the non-Thai members of this board (the vast majority, I'd assume) presumptiously lumped together in offering "loyal" greetings when they are not even subjects of the Thai king?

I agree, and, if the king were ever to chance upon this board and read a few random posts, I wonder what he would make of our 'noble thoughts'. I disagree with begood, however, who refuses to stand when the anthem is played in Thai movie theatres. Irrespective of one's personal views, that's just plain bad manners and unnecessarily offensive in a country where such behaviour is expected.

elephantspike
December 4th, 2007, 18:37
"He is like his father. He talks a lot," His Majesty said of his grandson's interruptions.

Very funny. Like some of our forum members, too.

Happy Birthday!

jinks
December 4th, 2007, 19:26
OK, just for Marsilius, begood and the other nameless one..........

http://www.jinks.clara.net/forum/5adec07.jpg

December 4th, 2007, 22:09
Since one owes loyalty to the Monarch of other places, I rather feel that the word "loyal" was a poor choice and I'd like to offer my sincere greetings.

One is about to embark on a journey to that Dominion which one notes a large section of this "community's" denizens have escaped from. Well it's better than consorting with delusional Republicans.

December 4th, 2007, 23:04
When one visits a foriegn country one is expected to honour the traditions of that country. Standing for the short presentations are not only expected but just plain good manners. Several beatings have taken place because of the rudeness of some foreigners and rightly so and I suspect a few more will probably happen as long as one disgraces their most revered king. The king is one man I so much admire for the love he has for his people and I am happy to be included as a loyal subject.

TrongpaiExpat
December 4th, 2007, 23:15
I think it was a Thai that got beat up for not standing not a farang.

I always thought it was some law that the movies have to pay some tribute to the King before a movie but I guess it's not, a few places in Bangkok don't.

Read that book that you can't buy in Thailand and you will never feel the same about the Monarchy.

I understand that the Author, Paul Handley has been flagged as a undesirable and not allowed back into Thailand.

bkkguy
December 4th, 2007, 23:18
Several beatings have taken place because of the rudeness of some foreigners and rightly so

keep drinking the Kool-Aid

bkkguy

December 5th, 2007, 00:36
Lets not get too serious about a loyal address. Nobody thinks that it represent all board members or that anyone at the Palace will read it.

Before singing hosannahs to democracy as the only ideal form of government it might be wise to see how many wars Thailand has created in the last few decades compared with the major democratic countries.

December 5th, 2007, 01:33
If I do feel like celebrating the King's birthday tomorrow I've got just the shirt to wear. It arrived yesterday from my boyfriend complete with Royal crest and portrait. Sadly I've never felt that pink is really my colour...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Shirt_01.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Shirt_02.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Shirt_03.jpg

December 5th, 2007, 01:39
Just wonder if there are republicans in Thailand ???

Or perhaps just people who instead of flattering Mr Bhumibol would really care and respect their own families and show a minimum of civism towards their own countrymen ??? ( I see little if none of these virtues in the LO fake S)

As customers of a country (which heavily relies on us) we certainly do not have to join the flattering party. This includes not standing up in movie theaters. There is no Law obliging us to do so.

Again: Happy birthday anyway, but without the ... licking !

Dboy
December 5th, 2007, 01:44
Happy Birthday to H.M. The King! He is loved by the Thai people and everyone here should at least respect THAT. Not many world leaders are even liked anymore (nor should they be). The fact that the King is so revered by the Thai people makes him almost unique in this world.

Am also a huge fan of King Rama V, who smartly told the Brits to go fuck themselves.

Dboy

fedssocr
December 5th, 2007, 07:05
Sure, he's not OUR king, but I certainly had no qualms about standing up for his anthem at the movies. If you go a sporting event where they play the national anthems of the participating countries do you refuse to stand? It's just showing respect for your hosts to stand up for a minute.

Having said that, the personality cult aspect of HM is a bit scary. It's one thing to be beloved, and quite another to be looked upon as a god or demi-god. He's just a man after all. When he does die I wonder what will happen.

After reading some excerpts from his birthday speech I have to say that parts of it were downright bizarre.

lonelywombat
December 5th, 2007, 10:59
Well, without doubt this guy is a good person, but WHY do we have to join all the brain laundered Thai "sheep" with such an address.

Too many people died in the world to get rid our modern democracies from monarchs and I never stand up during these ridiculous anthems playing in movie theaters before the film starts. I love to observe the reactions of the Thais while doing so :-) !

Do you stand up for the US National anthem when it is played in movie theatres sporting matches and so on

I would like to see you sit through the national anthem at say the superbowl. I would love to watch the septics reactions

December 5th, 2007, 11:32
Guys,

I think being much loved and respected by a people in a fledgling democracy, and 60 years on the throne in a difficult, sometimes volatile Country, gives him the right to be given the courtesy of standing, as 99% of other do, during the National Anthem.

Giving the respect to your Thai friends and not causing them embarrassment also, if you are out in company with them.

I wouldn't class that as crawling up their ass or being brainwashed, nor do I find it necessary to wear yellow shirts or orange wristbands.

Each to their own, I suppose, on this issue.

I would stand up for anyones National Anthem if I were in that particular Country and it was customary.

I respect Queen Elizabeth in the same way.

As a British person, I feel the National Anthem is the symbol for the Country, not an individual and the peoples sacrifices past and present.

thrillbill
December 5th, 2007, 11:40
I don't mind standing before the movie to pay respect to the King in a theater ( I do mind setting through 20 minutes of commercials and trailers before hand though). To me, (like other people have mentioned) it is like standing up for our country's national anthem before a sporting event...and in the USA you better stand up or be accused of being "unpatriotic".

I have lived in different countries and I find it unique/ special... that there is a citizen/ statesman (in this case a king) that is respected by so many citizens here in Thailand. As most of us know, this has kept the country united... to over look its troubles ...and to look at their country's future in a positive way. Someday when this king passes away, it will be sad; for I don't think there will be another king as such here in Thailand. And then what?

TrongpaiExpat
December 5th, 2007, 11:56
Thrillbill, just come 20 min late and you miss the adds. I love the one where this lady gets some horrible disease and her husband (actor) get to ham up the crying and emotion when she dramatically dies. Anyone know what they are selling?

I hear again and again about how this King has held the country together and kept it stable. I can only assume that those who say and say this again have not read 'that book' where you might draw quite a different conclusion. If you hear something again and again it becomes true, what's the actual proof of this statement?

Regarding the King speech. His speeches have never been clear and unambiguous but seems the older he gets the more obscure he becomes.

Marsilius
December 5th, 2007, 12:41
"As a British person, I feel the National Anthem is the symbol for the Country, not an individual and the peoples sacrifices past and present" - quote from kquill, above.

It's a shame, then, that the UK anthem doesn't mention the country at all! It's specifically directed towards the preservation/prosperity of an individual person (no matter what his or her character might be) and thus pretty inappropriate for anyone with republican views, no matter how much he/she loves or admires the country.

krobbie
December 5th, 2007, 12:50
If I do feel like celebrating the King's birthday tomorrow I've got just the shirt to wear. It arrived yesterday from my boyfriend complete with Royal crest and portrait. Sadly I've never felt that pink is really my colour...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/Jons_photos/Shirt_01.jpg

He must have crawled over broken glass to get that shirt to you considering his ill health. Just put the bloody thing on & be very grateful. IMHO.

:blackeye:

Cheers

December 5th, 2007, 13:25
He must have crawled over broken glass to get that shirt to you considerinbg his ill health. Just put the bloody thing on & be very grateful. IMHO.

Not only will I be wearing it, I also have to send photographic proof complete with the bright blue shorts and flip-flops that he feels complete the ensemble. I prefered the yellow shirt he sent for the King's anniversary a year or so ago but he tells me that it would be bad form to wear that in Thailand now. I'll have this one one with me when I visit shortly which will please him.

He's off to Bangkok on Friday by-the-way for the last CD4 count before I see him. The last was not too good but the doctor was optimistic that it was going in the right direction and gave his OK for us to go to Cambodia. I'll still wait and see how he is when I actually see him.

December 5th, 2007, 14:29
"As a British person, I feel the National Anthem is the symbol for the Country, not an individual and the peoples sacrifices past and present" - quote from kquill, above.

It's a shame, then, that the UK anthem doesn't mention the country at all! It's specifically directed towards the preservation/prosperity of an individual person (no matter what his or her character might be) and thus pretty inappropriate for anyone with republican views, no matter how much he/she loves or admires the country.

Come on Marsilius,

Nitpicking ever so slightly!

We ask her in the second verse to 'defend our laws' and 'give us ever cause' In verse five we have., 'O'er her thine arm extend,for Britains sake defend'

We don't expect her to slap a Bazooka on her back and go take on Al Qaeda.

It is generally accepted as the British National anthem from the 19th century, although dates to 1745 as a patriotic version. I accept the wording may be a little out of date, but not what it symbolises.

Also, the name will change to God save the King,next time around.

They are viewed in modern times as figureheads of Great Britain and the Anthem, [at least in my book], belongs to the combined peoples of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and the sacrifices made on behalf of Britain, not the Royal Corgi's!

Is a Conservative the same as a Republican, or is it considered so please?

Marsilius
December 5th, 2007, 14:56
You really expect me, Kevin, to wholeheartedly join in singing "God Save the King" for a future Charles III - a man who is on record as having wished to be reincarnated next time around as a tampon???

Let's change to, say, "Land of Hope and Glory" with immediate effect!

Maybe Thailand has the right idea, with TWO anthems. The national anthem focuses solely on the land and the people - while the royal anthem is specifically focused on honouring the person of the king.

jinks
December 5th, 2007, 18:07
the royal anthem is specifically focused on honouring the person of the king.

We, including all those who choose to opt-out, are less than the dirt on His Majesty's feet.

A nice quote from that "stonking good read" The Falcon of Siam by Axel Aylwen.

December 5th, 2007, 19:08
Congratulations to the king.

Always show some respect when in another country.

Sad that the bars have to close this evening though.

J

December 5th, 2007, 19:41
I have no problem with showing His Majesty the reverance he deserves, he has done many great things for the people of Thailand and there welfare.
From many conversations I have had with Thai people I must, indeed say, Long Live the King. I am led to believe his successor is less than popular.
As for republicans.....LOL. Go fuck yourselves!

December 5th, 2007, 20:50
You really expect me, Kevin, to wholeheartedly join in singing "God Save the King" for a future Charles III - a man who is on record as having wished to be reincarnated next time around as a tampon???

Let's change to, say, "Land of Hope and Glory" with immediate effect!

Maybe Thailand has the right idea, with TWO anthems. The national anthem focuses solely on the land and the people - while the royal anthem is specifically focused on honouring the person of the king.

Marsilius,

He said that after the England vs Croatia football game!

I am sure I recall him saying ...."It was the worst... "period" ...England had had in recent History!"

They are talking of replacing the three lions with three tampons on the England shirts!

Actually, we have a number of different "Anthems" Scotland the Brave, Wales's Land of my Fathers, England's Land of Hope and Glory etc.

Kevin.

December 5th, 2007, 21:42
Begood: "Too many people died in the world to get rid our modern democracies from monarchs and I never stand up during these ridiculous anthems playing in movie theaters before the film starts. I love to observe the reactions of the Thais while doing so :-) !"

Begood, or anyone else not standing up for the Thai National Anthem, is not being "rude" or "ill-mannered" as some posters have put it but is either ill-informed or being deliberately insulting to Thailand and all Thais , but not the King. The Thai National Anthem played twice a day on radio, TV, loudspeakers, etc, and before cinema performances is the National anthem, which makes no mention of the monarchy and is only about the country and the people. The Thai Royal anthem, on the other hand, which more resembles an oath of allegiance to the King, is usually played on ceremonial occasions, on the arrival and departure of the king and, this year, more frequently on the radio and TV.

The next time that anyone complains that "they do not really want us here" they need look no further than this example of deplorable behaviour, which reflects on all foreigners here, to understand why.

Begood:"P.S. We all should not forget that Thailand (and many Thai families) need us more than we need them. There are "boys" in other countries too :-) !"

That may be your personal view, but just as you objected to being included in the board's collective birthday wishes so you should not include "us" in your views (unless you have assumed the royal "we"). My personal view, for instance, would be the reverse - namely that Thailand (and many Thai families) would get along far better without you or those like you.

December 5th, 2007, 21:51
Marsilius: "Maybe Thailand has the right idea, with TWO anthems. The national anthem focuses solely on the land and the people - while the royal anthem is specifically focused on honouring the person of the king."

Exactly!

kquill:"Actually, we have a number of different "Anthems" Scotland the Brave, Wales's Land of my Fathers, England's Land of Hope and Glory etc."

A minor point, Kevin, but actually the Scottish National Anthem is Flower of Scotland.

December 6th, 2007, 01:41
The next time that anyone complains that "they do not really want us here" they need look no further than this example of deplorable behaviour, which reflects on all foreigners here, to understand why.An interesting concept - so your thesis is that every day, in every way, we shouldn't do a single act that may offend a Thai?

December 6th, 2007, 02:07
An interesting concept - so your thesis is that every day, in every way, we shouldn't do a single act that may offend a Thai?

An interesting concept indeed, especially considering that most Thai people behave in a fake way because they are brain laundered since their early childhood.

The only "real" thing seems to be their opportunism and their strong inclination towards prostitution under any form.

Mr Bhumibol may be a noble person, but never used his authority to erase such behavior............. Or is it just that Thai "love" him but do not listen to him as it would be inconvenient?

jinks
December 6th, 2007, 03:06
Ok far enough off topic..... More next year Dec 5th.