PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day Lunch

December 4th, 2007, 01:53
I will be in Pattaya / Jomtien over the Christmas period and would like to introduce my Thai BF to a traditional Western (read UK) type Christmas lunch with all the trimmings etc.

Any recommendations?

:cheers:
yorky

jinks
December 4th, 2007, 02:01
WELL NOW, for one who only reads here........:cat: meeeooowwww

My invite for a traditional Christmas Lunch was cancelled.

I too am now wanting to find a place other than the Cafe Royale - (bin there, done that, no teeshirt).

December 4th, 2007, 02:08

What I meant was traditional Christmas Day lunch as we would (probably) have in the UK - Turkey, Christmas Pud, etc, etc.

jinks
December 4th, 2007, 02:12

This was a catty remark to a friend who only reads this board, not you rogered :cheers:

He will be taking the traditional supplies brought in from Oz, to his farm, up country.

thaiworthy-old
December 4th, 2007, 03:40

What I meant was traditional Christmas Day lunch as we would (probably) have in the UK - Turkey, Christmas Pud, etc, etc.

Unless he has already stated otherwise, your Thai boyfriend will probably order Thai food!

December 4th, 2007, 04:03
... or preferably "chicken"!!

December 4th, 2007, 04:57
Unless he has already stated otherwise, your Thai boyfriend will probably order Thai food!Why would anyone eat a diet aimed to sustain the body through a harsh winter, in the tropics (apart from nostalgia)?

lonelywombat
December 4th, 2007, 08:32
Would someone please check with Monty to see if he is doing Xmas Lunch again this year.

His was the most reasonable of all the gay venues

Does Cafe Royale still charge whether you attend or not

December 4th, 2007, 10:32
Gregg's is on second road as you go from South Pattaya towards Big C . He offers a very good Christmas dinner all day.

TrongpaiExpat
December 4th, 2007, 11:05
Reminds me of this UK expat I know that lives in Chiang Mai who had a traditional UK(is USA much different?) Christmas dinner and invited several Thais. First they just looked at the food, then smelled it and looked at each other with a puzzled look. They then moved it around on their plates and at every opportunity moved items on the plate to the nearest farang.

Aunty
December 4th, 2007, 12:47

Cook it yourself, you lazy bugger!

December 4th, 2007, 13:04

Cook it yourself, you lazy bugger!

Point taken.
But I am on holiday, so it's someone else's turn to cook, and i'm prepared to pay for it.
PS. How do you know that I am a bugger? :idea:

krobbie
December 4th, 2007, 13:13
Rogered,
Aunty is just hazarding a guess and me thinks a pretty good one.

I think you know that in New Zealand everyone is some kind of bugger:
Lucky bugger
Dirty bugger, etc.

This may also be transposed as bastard:
Lucky bastard
Dirty bastard, etc.

So you see, one can fit into both groups at various times. :blackeye:

Cheers,
krobbie

December 4th, 2007, 14:47
Gregg's is on second road as you go from South Pattaya towards Big C . He offers a very good Christmas dinner all day.

Although I have never eaten Christmas dinner at Greg's myself, I have heard great reports from those that have. Whilst there last week I had a chance to see the menu on offer for Christmas and it looks great, offering all the things that you have asked for, with more on top.

My advice is, that if you decide to eat there on Christmas day, you make a reservation, as they get very busy and are well booked in advance. You can do this by calling them on: 038 361227 or if you are out of the country; +66 38 361227. I hope this helps.

G.

danny99
December 4th, 2007, 16:02
In Bangkok the Christmas Dinner buffet spread at The Balcony is quite amazing, Dec 24th. Think it is only Baht 300 for non-members, carving from roast turkey, ham from the bone, even English mince pies with brandy butter.

And you never who may play with your lunch afterwards.

I will be in Pattaya / Jomtien over the Christmas period and would like to introduce my Thai BF to a traditional Western (read UK) type Christmas lunch with all the trimmings etc.

Any recommendations?

yorky

lonelywombat
December 5th, 2007, 02:42
In Bangkok the Christmas Dinner buffet spread at The Balcony is quite amazing, Dec 24th. Think it is only Baht 300 for non-members, carving from roast turkey, ham from the bone, even English mince pies with brandy butter.

And you never who may play with your lunch afterwards.
[]

I thought the bars were all closed 24 dec for the election

December 5th, 2007, 04:26
I thought the bars were all closed 24 dec for the electionThe 24th has been gazetted a public holiday for government workers returning home from their birth place, having voted on the 22nd. Thailand has this bizarre notion that unless you have officially transferred your residence to Bangkok (something only your landlord cab facilitate, and most won't) then you can only vote where you are officially resident ie. back in the village. Equally, you're not entitled to the 30-baht health scheme payments except where you are officially resident. Woe betide any bar boy who wants to vote (or get sick). However a "travel day" for government workers doesn't constitute a day when the bars are expected to close ... but This Is Thailand, so who knows

catawampuscat
December 5th, 2007, 10:54
If you really want to torture your Thai bf, bring him to an all farang food restaurant and force him to eat
bland food most of us are all too familiar with. He will not look at it as an opportunity to expand his
culinary experiences but just torture.

Too compound the horror, make it just the two of you and keep talking throughout the meal..
If he is a barboy from Isaan or really anywhere, he will have the worst possible time but at least
his farang benefactor will have the satisfication of allowing the boy the priviledge of eating food which
the boy equates with most farangs reaction to eating fried insects.

Then to top if all off, when you give him his money tell him how expensive his farang Xmas dinner was and that
you have to deduct the cost from the money you will give him. He will really hate you and understand the
Xmas experience! not........ :cat:

thaiworthy-old
December 5th, 2007, 10:57
If you really want to torture your Thai bf, bring him to an all farang food restaurant and force him to eat
bland food most of us are all too familiar with. He will not look at it as an opportunity to expand his
culinary experiences but just torture.

Too compound the horror, make it just the two of you and keep talking throughout the meal..
If he is a barboy from Isaan or really anywhere, he will have the worst possible time but at least
his farang benefactor will have the satisfication of allowing the boy the priviledge of eating food which
the boy equates with most farangs reaction to eating fried insects.

Then to top if all off, when you give him his money tell him how expensive his farang Xmas dinner was and that
you have to deduct the cost from the money you will give him. He will really hate you and understand the
Xmas experience! not........ :cat:

Beautifully written and absolutely true.

TrongpaiExpat
December 5th, 2007, 12:21
If you just have to have a Christmas dinner or any Farang food give the BF an out and allow him a free night out with his friends without you. Go alone or with Farang friends.

I was amazed when my Farang friend told me of his intent to invite 10 or so Thais to his UK Christmas dinner. I told him that they will be horrified at the food and he said perhaps but it's good for them to experience another culture. I told him to make at least one Thai dish, he refused. These were working and professional Thais and they were universally repulsed.

In most of the West we get to experience all different food from all over the world. It seems that Thai or what has become Thai food is so connected to their culture that few acquire a taste for a more diverse diet.
Those with BF's are better off--Thai food is cheaper than Western.

December 5th, 2007, 13:12
This recipe is perfect for people like you lot who are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked but not
dried out. Give this a try.

Fresh turkey (size of your choice)
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing
1 cup of uncooked popcorn
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 220c.

Brush turkey well with the melted butter, season generously with salt and pepper.
Fill cavity with stuffing and un-popped popcorn.
Place on baking tray with the neck end towards the back of the oven.
Listen to the popping sounds.
When the turkey's backside blows the oven door open, and the bird flies backwards across the room, it's done.

:geek: