View Full Version : Boyfriend visa for Westerners

December 1st, 2007, 14:46
Rumors are going around here in Singapore that the new Thai government will be announcing a "boyfriend" visa for Westerners who want to stay in Thailand and live with their boyfriend, after the election. This follows on from the change to the Constitution that gave equality to gays. Apparently the relationship has to have lasted for at least a year, and both the Westerner and the Thai have to show transfers from the Westerner's to the Thai's bank account of at least 10,000 baht a month for all of that time. That's the only evidence for the relationship. The Westerner then has to pass the same income test as if he was married to a Thai woman, and keep on depositing 10K a month into his boyfriend's bank account, for the visa to be renewed.

One piece of bad news for us Americans - it will only be available to Westerners from countries that already recognise gay relationships for immigration purposes, such as the UK and Europe. Until Americans allow gay immigration to America, Americans will be banned from applying for the boyfriend visa in Thailand.

krobbie
December 1st, 2007, 16:19
If this is in fact the case, I will be well chuffed. In New Zealand we also have this policy in place due to non discrimination law along with what has been trermed "gay marriage". One of our leading MP's did the deed with his long time lover a couple of weeks ago.

December 1st, 2007, 18:37
My first thought was: "How can a government that has not yet been selected be known to be going to announce anything?" But then again, This is Thailand....

December 1st, 2007, 19:59
this follows on from the change to the Constitution that gave equality to gays. Apparently the relationship has to have lasted for at least a year, and both the Westerner and the Thai have to show transfers from the Westerner's to the Thai's bank account of at least 10,000 baht a month for all of that time. That's the only evidence for the relationship. The Westerner then has to pass the same income test as if he was married to a Thai woman, and keep on depositing 10K a month into his boyfriend's bank account, for the visa to be renewed.

Sounds like a lot of the anti-Western disinformation that regularly goes round certain sneering sick sticky Singaporean sircles.

allieb
December 2nd, 2007, 01:14
It seems that the visa will be geared around MONEY in Thailand. Unlike other countries like the UK who base the visa on a relationship akin to marrage. When will Thailand get away from the whoring aspet of all relationships.

Just a thought what about a Falang who is supported by his Thai lover????? Oh no it will never happen, doesn't work that way does it?

December 2nd, 2007, 01:54
I know of several cases.

Thai boy falls in love whilst studying abroad. After graduation they set up home in tolerant, but actually disapproving Thai family. After a few years migrant feels stifled, not able to develop career. They usually break up but remain freinds.

December 2nd, 2007, 08:17
Oh puhleese, gimme a break.
Of all the silly rumours floating around this is one of the silliest.

Just for starters, no one knows what the "new government" will look like since the election hasn't been held yet. Sure, polls are showing the PPP (the old Thaksin crowd) in the lead but you can't rule out a coalition of parties to oppose a PPP government.

What nonsense....

December 2nd, 2007, 09:03
sounds like a creative moneyboy has come up with a new way to get 10,000B a month out of farangs

December 2nd, 2007, 10:14
One never knows. If they can make enough money from it anythings possible!

December 2nd, 2007, 10:36
Of all the silly rumours floating around this is one of the silliest.What nonsense....

To say that you have put your post in a lot more politer way that I would have Kenc, would be a very big understatement on my part, but I couldn't agree with you more. What surprises me though and even more then this ridiculous rumour, is that there are people that actually believe it.

I wonder if they will be waiting for Father Christmas to come down the chimney in a few weeks time. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

G.

Sen Yai
December 2nd, 2007, 16:08
Is this positive discrimination for homos or can the breeders take advantage of this new resident visa scheme too?

If the 'only evidence of the relationship' is the transfer of 10k baht per month and no sexual orientation testing will take place, then I think there will be many 'westerners' keen to take up this offer.

Curious, are you sure that some form of Civil Partnership contact is not required too? I think that even in America co-habitation outside of wed-lock is permitted. And btw, Europe is a continent, not a country.

I'm with kenc on this: "Of all the silly rumours floating around this is one of the silliest."

krobbie
December 3rd, 2007, 00:54
Of all the silly rumours floating around this is one of the silliest.What nonsense....

To say that you have put your post in a lot more politer way that I would have Kenc, would be a very big understatement on my part, but I couldn't agree with you more. What surprises me though and even more then this ridiculous rumour, is that there are people that actually believe it.

I wonder if they will be waiting for Father Christmas to come down the chimney in a few weeks time. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

G.

George, I hope you are not going to tell me there is NO Santa Claus. I have just gotten over a nasty shock from the Easter Bunny debacle. I can't take more. :aaa:

Cheers
krobbie

jinks
December 3rd, 2007, 02:24
http://www.jinks.clara.net/forum/2007/xmas.gif

OH YES THERE IS :clown:

Now I'm guilty of going off subject :bounce:

gumblebee
December 3rd, 2007, 04:23
Of course there is no Santa Claus! There's only one Saint Nicolas for the true believers. :faroah:

December 3rd, 2007, 10:36
Curious, are you sure that some form of Civil Partnership contact is not required too? I think that even in America co-habitation outside of wed-lock is permitted.Petmitted for what? Immigration?

December 5th, 2007, 00:32
This follows on from the change to the Constitution that gave equality to gays.

As far as I can recall from the copy of the draft constitution sent out before the referendum on the constitution the question of equality for gays was not mentioned, let alone addressed and any change made. Thailand has not, for example, given permission for the British Embassy to register Civil Partnerships here (Vietnam is the only country in the area which has, although Vietnamese themselves are excluded) and this would indicate that there has been no such change.

The entire "rumour" seems more than unlikely, and it has certainly not been even hinted at by any of the major parties in their publicity.

Maybe you should re-post this exactly four months after the original posting date, when it would be more appropriate!