PDA

View Full Version : oh dear! - didn't mean to tease.

November 30th, 2007, 19:06
Ignore the post below. When I went to the site the programme was marked "not available for Listen Again for rights reasons.

Those of you who can get "Listen Again" for BBC Radio 4 might like to catch this programme. I'm sorry it'll only be up for about 16 hours more as I think it gets displaced after tomorrow's broadcast with a new castaway. It's quite touching in parts and I think many readers here will identify with incidents of his real life.

Sen Yai
November 30th, 2007, 19:36
...but you are teasing us! What are you talking about?

Is it this:

Kirsty Young's castaway this week is the author Armistead Maupin.

Regarded as one of the 'great social satirists of his era', he made his name with his Tales of the City novels, chronicling the shifting cultural landscape of San Francisco throughout the 1970s and 80s.

He's written about the search for love and acceptance by a diverse cast of characters, but he was also one of the first novelists to portray the devastating impact of the newly emerging threat of HIV/Aids.

His iconic status as a gay writer and political activist couldnтАЩt be further from his background, growing up in the genteel American South, with a 'neo-fascist, arch-conservative' father.

Armistead tells Kirsty about his transition to the other end of the political spectrum, and how his life has become inseparable from his work.

November 30th, 2007, 19:45
Yep. That was it. Didn't want to leave a stubb though. I think those of a certain age with partners 30 years younger, who'd lived through the early Aids years would find it interesting. Given that it is withheld for rights reasons, I suspect it will be available through other carriers in the fullness of time.

December 3rd, 2007, 11:20
I think those of a certain age with partners 30 years younger, who'd lived through the early Aids years would find it interestingMost Forum members then?