PDA

View Full Version : Workers deserve an honest wage - Bt200 a day minimum?

February 20th, 2006, 07:28
"Backing away from his emphatic ''employers just cannot afford it'' stance of nine months ago, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra now says he wants to see a 9% increase in the minimum wage to bring it up to 200 baht a day for those working in and around Bangkok. Such an increase would cover just one return bus fare to work, which is less than joyful news for those employees who have to change buses on the way. It would be easy to dismiss this latest handout as a cheap populist ploy to win back some of the public support which evaporated after his questionable sale last month of his holdings in Shin Corp to Temasek Holdings. And, as such, it could well backfire. In last year's stand-off, the workers were demanding an increase in the basic wage to 233 baht a day and made it very clear they did not want this figure to be treated as a mere negotiating tactic. There was a great deal of bitterness when the Central Wage Committee rejected this 233-baht figure and slashed it to a ''take it or leave it''184 baht a day instead. Many workers in the provinces had to settle for 140 baht a day. No celebratory parties were held."

Full article www.bangkokpost.net/News/20Feb2006_news16.php (http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/20Feb2006_news16.php)

February 20th, 2006, 08:02
It would be easy to dismiss this latest handout as a cheap populist ploy...
One good thing about Thaksin is that he constantly brings back fond memories of my all-time favorite Broadway play: Evita.

One particular verse from Evita that I've always adored: "Goodbye, and thank you for leaving...!"

February 20th, 2006, 10:49
As I often do, I asked a taxi driver about the coalition to (ahem!) remove the PM on my way to Silom one night last week. My Thai is not that good so he only heard the name to which he said "Thaksin no good. I earn much less money now that he set closing times very early. Everyone is saying that Thaksin not good for Thailand anymore."

I mentioned the star-studded rally this coming weekend that he was aware of. I told him he needed to go to speak at that rally.

I'd remember him. Wouldn't that be great if I saw him on the tube?

Damn! No "fingers crossed" emoticons, but u get the idea.

February 20th, 2006, 11:15
DELETED

February 20th, 2006, 12:40
Whats this about, for or against Taksin?

You obviously have not seen the news from Thailand this past few months.

from: http://www.manager.co.th/IHT/ViewNews.a ... 0000023040 (http://www.manager.co.th/IHT/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9490000023040) ...

Chamlong to join Feb 26 rally to oust the premier

20 February 2006 13:32

Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang announced his anti-Thaksin stance yesterday at the October 14 Memorial.

Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang stepped out of the political sidelines and into the limelight yesterday when he officially announced his intention to join the mass rally in Sanam Luang on February 26 and asked Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to resign.

February 20th, 2006, 14:07
DELETED