PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Hotels busy, busy, busy

February 20th, 2006, 07:15
Bangkok seems to be bursting at the seams. Friends keep calling me and I have difficulty in finding them accommodation. Even out of the way places are full and anywhere central and gay friendly have waiting lists. I hear talk of conventions and exhibitions and Sate visits but I don't remember Bangkok being so busy ever. Jimmy at the Pinnacle is working in a frenzy and does not know why. How long this will last I have no idea. Anyone any idea of what is going on?

I notice that the Dongtan Gay Beach at Jomtien is really busy. We are coming to the end of high season and things normally slow down but not this year.

Davey612
February 20th, 2006, 07:29
I booked all the hotels in Thailand just to test the system. :bounce:

Actually, I can think of a couple of reasons. Nasty weather in the U.S. and Europe earlier this year. A few airline promotions. And the attraction of meeting fellow board members.

And...less expensive hotels in Phuket.

February 20th, 2006, 08:04
Last year the rainy season was dry. Until it was over, when it rained buckets.

This year it seems high season was slow/late in starting, but seems to be running later than normal.

Better late than never?

Dboy
February 21st, 2006, 03:40
I bet the Prince Palace Hotel isn't full....because its one of the worst high-rise hotels I've ever stayed at. Also alot of Thai's don't want to stay there because of the murder/rampage that happened there a few years ago. Also not visitor friendly at all, and the staff is rude.

Dboy

thrillbill
February 21st, 2006, 05:16
If you are talking about booking through the internet, I find that you have to do it a couple weeks before. These web sight "agencies" seem to have only so many rooms to reserve at a hotel and must do it so many days before the check- in-date. I know if I try to book a BKK hotel through the interent, I won't have much luck a week before and you certainly can't do it 3 days before (usuually). The Hotel Ambassador is always my stand-by because they have their own direct booking websight, so you know right away if you have reservations or not. There are hotels with rooms, but you have to look for the smaller hotels, which is hard to do. I don't think it has anything to do with the weather.

lonelywombat
February 21st, 2006, 05:43
[quote="wowpow"]Bangkok seems to be bursting at the seams. Friends keep calling me and I have difficulty in finding them accommodation. Even out of the way places are full and anywhere central and gay friendly have waiting lists. I hear talk of conventions and exhibitions and Sate visits but I don't remember Bangkok being so busy ever. Jimmy at the Pinnacle is working in a frenzy and does not know why. How long this will last I have no idea. Anyone any idea of what is going on?

I had the same problem last october when even Tower Inn was fully booked for weeks

I found it was Chinese and Japanese groups coming in shoulder and low season causing the problem

I ended up going to Phuket instead

dab69
February 21st, 2006, 22:00
waited until the last week before departing to find my usual hotel was booked.
Any suggestions for medium priced in Saphan Kwai or Sukumvit area?

Try to get reservation, wait a day for email, gets closer every try with less chances of success

February 22nd, 2006, 01:34
For late booking ( within 2 weeks ), try www.latestays.com (http://www.latestays.com) that gives instant confirmation of room availability. Cannot comment about its services, never tried it before. I can see there are plenty of availability on some days. Hope this helps.

February 22nd, 2006, 06:03
This is one site that I often peek at. When I tried to book the Tower Inn, which was showing available room, they eventually replied that there were no rooms there but they did have rooms at The Elegance Suites. I booked friends there and they said the suite was very nice for Bt2100 a night inc breakfast but the area was pretty seedy.

dab69
February 23rd, 2006, 12:18
well after 26 hours of airplanes and airports I will have a place to shower.

hotel website-
"only one adult is allowed per double bed- roll outs available"

think they welcome joiners?
not