PDA

View Full Version : Lumpini Swimming Pool

TrongpaiExpat
November 20th, 2007, 19:26
... I have only met him 7-8 times with my b/f at the Lumpini swimming pool where we swim at weekends and eaten together afterwards.

I though there was a sign at the Lumpini Swimming Pool, "No Foreigners Allowed" ? Has the policy changed?

November 20th, 2007, 19:37
... I have only met him 7-8 times with my b/f at the Lumpini swimming pool where we swim at weekends and eaten together afterwards.

I though there was a sign at the Lumpini Swimming Pool, "No Foreigners Allowed" ? Has the policy changed?

No the policy has not changed, but as I have Thai nationality it does not apply to me.

Foreigners can in fact use the pool providing they produce their passport and a letter from a doctor confirming that they are free of any disease they are then given a pass. I can't remember what the cost is for a foreigner to use the pool but there is a notice on display at the entrance.

November 20th, 2007, 19:56
[quote="Naughty But Nice":niuh9exh]... I have only met him 7-8 times with my b/f at the Lumpini swimming pool where we swim at weekends and eaten together afterwards.

No the policy has not changed, but as I have Thai nationality it does not apply to me.

Foreigners can in fact use the pool providing they produce their passport and a letter from a doctor confirming that they are free of any disease they are then given a pass. I can't remember what the cost is for a foreigner to use the pool but there is a notice on display at the entrance.[/quote:niuh9exh]

And Thais don't need to prove they are free from disease?

A very interesting and not to mention fair policy.

I wonder what Thais would have to say if we adopted that system in the UK?

We could always start with the three Thai footballers just signed by Manchester City.Bring your passports and a letter before you can use the local swimming baths and also make sure you have your passport with you at all times, We don't care if you are in the middle of a FA Cup match, We'll be checking visas at half time!

What an absolutely stupid idiotic way to go and place a sign saying such a thing.

They should win an award for the most pathetic racist written statement of the year.

No, elections are coming, we are bound to have more that will beat that out of sight!

Brad the Impala
November 20th, 2007, 20:50
[quote="Naughty But Nice":3u3o3o15]... I have only met him 7-8 times with my b/f at the Lumpini swimming pool where we swim at weekends and eaten together afterwards.

Foreigners can in fact use the pool providing they produce their passport and a letter from a doctor confirming that they are free of any disease they are then given a pass. I can't remember what the cost is for a foreigner to use the pool but there is a notice on display at the entrance.

And Thais don't need to prove they are free from disease?

A very interesting and not to mention fair policy.

I wonder what Thais would have to say if we adopted that system in the UK?

We could always start with the three Thai footballers just signed by Manchester City.Bring your passports and a letter before you can use the local swimming baths and also make sure you have your passport with you at all times, We don't care if you are in the middle of a FA Cup match, We'll be checking visas at half time!

What an absolutely stupid idiotic way to go and place a sign saying such a thing.

They should win an award for the most pathetic racist written statement of the year.

No, elections are coming, we are bound to have more that will beat that out of sight![/quote:3u3o3o15]

Oh keep your hair on Gladys. Don't go winding yourself up. It's not racist, because Thai nationals of caucasian extraction, like N & N, can go. It's just preserving a sporting facility for the benefit of the impoverished locals who can't afford to go anywhere else. Like N & N!

November 20th, 2007, 22:43
It's just preserving a sporting facility for the benefit of the impoverished locals who can't afford to go anywhere else. Like N & N!

And it keeps the riff-raff out :angel9:

bkkguy
November 20th, 2007, 23:09
It's just preserving a sporting facility for the benefit of the impoverished locals who can't afford to go anywhere else.

so a rich Thai without a health certificate does not impact on the impoverished locals using the pool but a visiting falung does?

and a poor Thai slum dweller with TB but no certificate is less of a threat to other pool users than a disease-free falung with no certificate?

the very way it is implemented makes it racist - if it is for local residents then require proof of local residency, if it is for the poor then require proof of hardship, but as soon as you say these niggers^H^H^H^H^H^Hfalung can only sit in the front section of the bus or swim in this pool if they have a certificate and pay enough money to make them acceptable then it is racist pure and simple!

bkkguy

TrongpaiExpat
November 20th, 2007, 23:41
When that "No Foreigners Allowed" sign first went up the first thing that crossed my (sick) mind was "they" were concerned that farangs would be diddlin the little boys that come to swim. We all know that Thai are not capable of such behavior.

The sign was taken down last year when Pride rented out the pool for the swim suit contest, I guess it went back up after the farangs left following a good fumigating.

November 20th, 2007, 23:54
When that "No Foreigners Allowed" sign first went up the first thing that crossed my (sick) mind was "they" were concerned that farangs would be diddlin the little boys that come to swim. We all know that Thai are not capable of such behavior.

The sign was taken down last year when Pride rented out the pool for the swim suit contest, I guess it went back up after the farangs left following a good fumigating.

Hi,

Did you also know the Thais have come under a bit of pressure regarding this "diddling" to start taking it seriously at home as opposed to just arresting Foreigners [ at the express request of Foreign Governments]

We know the Foreign Governments cannot impose anything, only let their feelings be known that they are not happy with quite a few of the statistics coming out relating to Thai on Thai "diddling" especially in the Isaarn regions.

I still certainly think the Lumpini thing is wrong.

Back on the subject, there are some long haired boys in Sunnee Plaza from Sukhothai working in the late night bar opposite the burger wagon called My Place with the Karaoke upstairs.

Bit of a dive but the two or three boys were old enough, clean enough and long haired.

That's a hat trick for Sunnee.

November 21st, 2007, 05:30
How did we go from a posting on long haired boys to debating swimming pool restrictions? Another thread hi-jacked.

November 21st, 2007, 07:02
How did we go from a posting on long haired boys to debating swimming pool restrictions? Another thread hi-jacked.

Not guilty!

November 21st, 2007, 12:53

Trongpai asked whether the restrictions on foreigners using the pool I mentioned I had met a long-haired boy at had changed. It went on from there. I do not think Trongpai intended to hi-jack the thread

lonelywombat
November 25th, 2007, 10:35
Sorry to take this off topic again but I think this is the sign that offends

November 25th, 2007, 13:40
so a rich Thai without a health certificate does not impact on the impoverished locals using the pool No rich Thai would be seen in such a place. If you don't get that, you've obviously missed the point of Thailand altogether

Uranus
November 25th, 2007, 17:38
No one cares about a health certificate, if you have a wealth certificate!

November 25th, 2007, 20:03

Hi,

The only word that sums this up in my book, is "Obnoxious"

I do not wish to engage in any further comment with any poster wishing to defend this on the grounds of, "They don't understand" They only want to "protect an environment for Thais" etc etc.

I think, any Thai Nationals that have any brains, manners, commonsense or values would not go along with this nonsense.

And anyone that wishes to play the card of, "We are guests in their Country" can go get stuffed as well.

:knob:

November 25th, 2007, 20:54
I do not wish to engage in any further comment with any poster wishing to defend this

Is there someone with a gun at your head forcing you to respond?

November 26th, 2007, 03:38
I do not wish to engage in any further comment with any poster wishing to defend this

Is there someone with a gun at your head forcing you to respond?

So,

You think these signs like these are OK then?

Ill thought out Nationalistic rubbish that it is. Go have a swim!

November 26th, 2007, 06:08
Oh Gawd. I just joined the KQuill fan club. Sock it to them Kev. I'll probably never use that pool but it ranks with the "No dogs or Chinese" sign reputed to have been on display in the Shanghai concession.

cottmann
November 26th, 2007, 09:41
Oh Gawd. I just joined the KQuill fan club. Sock it to them Kev. I'll probably never use that pool but it ranks with the "No dogs or Chinese" sign reputed to have been on display in the Shanghai concession.

I don't know about the Lumpini pool sign, but no sign in Shanghai ever existed that said bluntly "No dogs or Chinese." A sign at Huangpu Park (in a section of Shanghai which was set aside for foreigners, known as the Bund) which was built, paid for, and reserved for the use of Europeans contained a list of ten regulations, one of which was that persons could not bring in a dog, and one of which was that park was reserved for Europeans. The non-existence of such a sign is indicated by the fact that no contemporary photograph of it has ever surfaced.

catawampuscat
November 26th, 2007, 09:43
Almost all of us come out of extremely racist countries and societies, where racial hatred is taken for granted.

Foreigners are often subjects of hatred and violence and somehow a sign for a public swimming to stir up
strong emotions seems like a tempest in a teapot..

We are uniformly treated with respect in Thailand and over reacting to a sign seems downright silly to me.

Perhaps, foreigners should enter Thai public schools and use their restrooms, when the needs arises. Why not,
after all we are rich and have inherent rights to do whatever we think. What nerve, these Thai people have to
have rules and regulations concerning their public facilities and usage of them.

There are real issues in the world to get emotional and angry about. This is just a silly one and I am surprised
it riled some of our most respected posters.
Would you want badboybilly using your swimming pool with your family? Or forbid the thought, some smooth talking
confidence man out to steal the family jewels or borrow some baht.
There are men who would misbehave and never leave the locker room or the shower area and think they were in Babylon... :cat:

bkkguy
November 26th, 2007, 11:01
Almost all of us come out of extremely racist countries and societies, where racial hatred is taken for granted.

an irrelevant point - even if that were true it is not a good line of argument for allowing the Thais to do it too!

We are uniformly treated with respect in Thailand

either you need a new dictionary or I need to borrow your rose coloured glasses!

Would you want badboybilly using your swimming pool with your family? Or forbid the thought, some smooth talking confidence man out to steal the family jewels or borrow some baht. There are men who would misbehave and never leave the locker room or the shower area and think they were in Babylon...

and in what way does the sign and the rules in the sign prevent any of this?

you are not Thai are you? this is a typical Thai bullshit response to bullshit officialdom because they have been brainwashed into not questioning authority!

bkkguy

catawampuscat
November 26th, 2007, 12:35
Easy fella..
Apparently this signage is more potent than I thought but I cannot see why it is so bothersome to some
on this forum.
I don't mean to say racism or nationalism is okay because it is practiced almost everywhere but simply
to point out it is normal and common. Religious differences, gender differences, the list goes on and on.
Many things in the world and in Thailand bother me but this is not one. Pick your battles and all that ..

I have never felt disrespected in my many years in Thailand. We, as older farangs are given high status
and respect just by being older and richer. I do not agree with this thinking but accept it as the way it is.

I am not Thai and just don't understand the anger and strong emotions caused by this signage and I guess
I never will. The bbb reference was for the sake of humour and to lighten the mood. If only a sign would
keep him out of Thailand... same for the con men and flim flam men but alas like the proverbial bad penny
they keep on coming back. :cat:

November 26th, 2007, 13:31
Why not,
after all we are rich and have inherent rights to do whatever we think. What nerve, these Thai people have to have rules and regulations concerning their public facilities and usage of them.

A well thought out post Cat.

The Lumpini pool forms part of the Lumpini Centre facilty and the money to build it was given to build the facilty for Thai nationals living in Bangkok.

The 'No Foreigners' sign could have been better worded to deal with Western sensitvities but of course any foreigner wishing to use the pool can do so by providing the documentation required and for an annual membership fee of just 40 Baht. One of the purposes of this is to stop the tourist trade using what is quite a small pool. Any non Thai living long term in Bangkok can if they are so bothered about using the pool easily supply the documentation required. Make a visit to the pool during a lunch hour and you will often find farangs swimmimg there.

All Thais wishing to use the pool have to provide an ID card or proof of identity along with two photos when they will then be issued with a membership card. I do not think it at all unreasonable for the facilty to request a medical certificate from farangs confirming that they do not have a transmittable disease, especially when there are a whole list of countries who require details of a medical condition before they decide whether or not to grant an entry visa into the country.

November 26th, 2007, 13:33
[ Go have a swim!

I certainly will and I will enjoy it.

Aunty
November 26th, 2007, 16:34
I'm not sure if the motivation of the Thai for this ordinance is a racial one, so much as it is a desire to keep the facility for the purpose it was intended, swimming. Let the Farang in and how long will it be before it gets turned a freelance brothel by foreign sex tourists and their Thai hanger's on?

allieb
November 26th, 2007, 16:53
A better sign at the pool would be "This pool is a subsidized facility for Thai nationals only" Still not right but would pass a less offensive message.

Anyway what farang in their right mind would want to use a pool that only charges 40 Baht a year where for some of the locals its their only contact with water period. Should be renamed POLIO POND

November 26th, 2007, 18:06
For a business to discriminate between two classes of customers, a clear benefit or risk should exist. In this case, since a health certificate is required, the risk must be to the health of the Thai from the non-Thai, based on the evidence that Thai and non-Thai sharing a common swimming pool increases the risk of water-borne disease and that the increase in risk is solely the contribution of the non-Thai. Such a risk cannot be demonstrated, and so the obvious conclusion is that the policy is based on Thai xenophobia

Or can it be demonstrated? Clearly something has addled Catawampus Cat's brain, and one could perhaps infer it has sprung from sharing the common swimming pool at his condominium. However, based on this thread, there is a supporting cast of Pattaya characters who suffer the same affliction; I prefer my alternate and long-standing hypothesis - "you have to be a complete loser in the first place to choose to live in Pattaya"

November 26th, 2007, 18:13
Thank you!!! Glad at last someone has used the right word - xenophobia. The term racism is continually used out of context in these kinds of discussions.

bkkguy
November 26th, 2007, 18:24
I have never felt disrespected in my many years in Thailand. We, as older farangs are given high status
and respect just by being older and richer.

Let the Farang in and how long will it be before it gets turned a freelance brothel by foreign sex tourists and their Thai hanger's on?

The 'No Foreigners' sign could have been better worded to deal with Western sensitvities ... I do not think it at all unreasonable for the facilty to request a medical certificate from farangs confirming that they do not have a transmittable disease"

keep drinking the Kool-Aid guys - do they add it to the local water supply in Pattaya?

bkkguy

November 26th, 2007, 18:37
keep drinking the Kool-Aid guys - do they add it to the local water supply in Pattaya?It's got to be something

November 26th, 2007, 20:01
I have never found reason to object to the sign at the Lumpini pool, and I don├втВмтДвt take it as a personal affront.

In Japan there are ├втВм┼Уgay├втВм

Wesley
November 27th, 2007, 00:34

Hi,

The only word that sums this up in my book, is "Obnoxious"

I do not wish to engage in any further comment with any poster wishing to defend this on the grounds of, "They don't understand" They only want to "protect an environment for Thais" etc etc.

I think, any Thai Nationals that have any brains, manners, commonsense or values would not go along with this nonsense.

And anyone that wishes to play the card of, "We are guests in their Country" can go get stuffed as well.

Bravo bravo bravo!

WES

:knob:

November 27th, 2007, 00:50
Dear Mr. Cottman,

Thanks for chapter and verse. It was because of my doubts about the veracity of the claims that I used the word "reputed".

One such claim exists in one of the most celebrated films of a certain Mr. Bruce Lee "Fists of Fury". The film character played by Mr. Lee, was very upset by the sign and broke it into pieces. Many Chinese people, perhaps most, believe that it existed in the form portrayed in the film. In fact I believe that in China "No Dogs or Chinese" deniers are ranked as highly as holocaust deniers in the west.