PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia Hotel

November 20th, 2007, 20:45
I will be staying at the Malyasia Hotel this weekend. Is this place a ok place to stay and is it close enough to the gay scene in Silom. Thanks.

bing
November 20th, 2007, 21:11
Hi- Sure you will like the Malyasia. They will greet you with a glass of bottled water at the reception desk. The pool is taken care of every day, and the room will be OK, nothing fancy but clean. Also no problem with visitors but will have to leave ID at desk . I think it is about 5 minute ride to Silom. It is too far to walk, at least for me. Skytrain is in walking distance. Maylasia has a restaurant with guys hanging around in case you would like to buy them a drink or light snack.

I think if you don't mind paying double the price you might think of Tarntawan or Rose which are in the heart of the gay life.

TrongpaiExpat
November 20th, 2007, 22:22
Skytrain is in walking distance
Perhaps you mean MRT (Subway) Lumpini. Nearest Sky Train (BTS) is Sala dang.

Motocy taxi 10B to MRT or walk. Taxi to Soi Twlight 35B. MTR Lumpini to Silom 15B.

Maylasia has a restaurant with guys hanging around in case you would like to buy them a drink or light snack.

A "light snack" ? :bounce:

November 20th, 2007, 22:42
... is a good budget place to stay. If you stop at other places like Tarntawan, you pay 3 and even 4 times as much, let alone twice as much.

You are up the road - 5 mins walk - from Babylon, where I'm sure you can entertain yourself. With regard to getting to the "scene", I would jump in a taxi, cost 40 bht and get out around the Silom area. It's pointless getting a skytrain, which is located near Silom anyway, and even so, walking "up the road" in BKK, you will sweat your cobs off.

TrongpaiExpat
November 20th, 2007, 23:29
Some love the place, others don't. There an Australian that has been staying (living) there for 8 months, don't talk to him unless you have a few hours free.

If the Malaysia does not suit your fancy, take a look at Vincent's down the street or just take a walk down Soi Si Bumphen, opposite Soi Nahmdupree and there are loads of guest type hotels, some brand new that look nice, Penguin, the Bosses place and Trivili to name a few.

Most Taxi drivers know the Malaysia Hotel, must have been there since the 70's and you have to pronounce it Mal-a-Ysia, not with a English slur/glottal slop or just say Sathorn Soi nung and then leo sai at the end of the street.

The police have been making Nam dupree one way to Rama 4 at rush hour and at Sathorn you can't go straight on Rama 4, only left or right.
No left turns to Nahm dupree from Rama 4. You can take Soi Swan Swat, left at Si bumphen or come around from Sathorn 1.

November 21st, 2007, 00:05
Hi,

I usually try to keep my manners at all times on the board with regards to answering posters.

The place is a shit hole.cesspit, fleabag pit. I would sooner eat burgers and sit in McDonalds all night!

Also, if you are a person who likes to be on the doorstep of the action, its not there!

I went there once when it was "recommended" by an alleged "in the know Bangkok based Foreigner"

We did not stay there, after viewing the rooms.

If you are on holiday and can even think about 30 quid a night whilst you are in Bangkok, get yourself to Tarntawan,Rose or similar.

I always stay at the Tawana Ramada, but it was booked out on that occasion.

Again, it depends on your budget.

yaraboy
November 21st, 2007, 03:46
Bed bugs!.........................One recent guest had to flee his room twice..........initially after check in because of the horrible insecticide smell......and then later that night after being devoured by bed bugs.........
Also the place has a reputation as a bottom feeder hangout........maybe you do not care!

Pinnacle or Vincents might be better choices

painai2
November 21st, 2007, 06:02
You either love the Malaysia or hate it . Those that hate it really go out of their way to bad mouth the place.

gearguy
November 21st, 2007, 06:44
http://www.omyimgroup.com/index.html

if I was looking for a less expensive place. About same distance to Silom 2 and Soi Twilight.

But I usually stay at Tarntawan. I'm a creature of habit and I
like being able to walk out the front door and around the corner,
or a quick hope down the street to Soi Twilight.

November 21st, 2007, 06:53
http://www.omyimgroup.com/index.html

Cheers gearguy,

I was trying to remember that name, I use to have it in my computer until my hard drive got frazzled in a storm whilst I was away in the UK.

Yeah, that would be a good choice.

bing
November 21st, 2007, 09:08
If you will read my earlier post, I did mention it was not for all. Yaraboy-- I don't think one has to be a bottom feeder to stay there, if you don't like it stay someplace else. On the other hand you can call me a bottom feeder if you must. I have stayed there two times and enjoyed the pool and the restaurant, and the close proximity to Babylon and the quick trip to Silom. By the way my room was clean and not smelling of DDT. Yes subway is the proper term for public transport to the Silom area, I tend to hop on a motor bike and hold on for dear life to the driver. Kquill-- in the past I have used the computer in the lobby and enjoyed it, plus I did not find the room all that disgusting. They are not on a par with some other higher end hotels, but for the price and location, I found it to be fun. Personally next trip I plan to stay at the Rose, the first hotel I stayed at, low these many years ago. It was recommended in Spartacus as I recall in the early 90s. Wow the maps in those days were really primitive compared to the way things are mapped now. In the early 90's though I stayed there a few times, it used to have the worst showers in the world, either super hot or super cold with no in between temp. The Rose had a very nice tour operator who loved me, I seem to have taken just about every tour offered. I still have a predilection for the long tail boat rides in the klongs. I tend to go in late afternoon, when life picks up before supper, and lots of folks are outside fishing or playing in the water. I still stop in at my favorite temple and do a bit of meditation. It gets my Buddhist karma in proper order. Also as per their latest email, returned within 24 hours, The Rose Hotel will arrange to have me picked up at the new airport. Alas, I can not tell what the cost of said pickup will be. But having experienced a midnight arrival with a FUBAR, from my present favorite place in Pattaya, Howard's Guest House. I had emailed Punya with my arrival time and flight number, still there was no one waiting for me. They expected me the next day, so I had to haggle for the good price to travel to Pattaya, and after travel for some 27 hours, I was not in the mood. When traveling you must be ready and wiling to adaptand overcome small problems. I was sort of put off as I recall, but like John Wayne, I like to think I forgive easily. I was in LOS and happy to be there. Whatever the price guys, you will appreciate seeing a nice Thai guy holding a sign with your name on it as you exit into the teminal with your bags.

November 21st, 2007, 09:21
A "light snack" ?Ordinarily they offer their own lunch to willing purchasers

November 21st, 2007, 11:07
Dear Bing,

Horses for courses, That place is not for me at all.

I think you will be happy with Rose as they have done some upgrades, and you can't get a much better location for the Night March.

The frazzled computer I was referring to, was my own.

November 21st, 2007, 11:54
I stayed at The Rose a couple of weeks ago and di an overlong detailed report on Ting Tong. Here it is. I wonder if you can find a rate cheaper than 1990 baht?

THE ROSE HOTEL

Suriwong Road Bangkok

http://www.rosehotelbkk.com

"A bit like paying for a full service airline and getting Air Asia no frills". Joiners welcome.

The Rose is down a tiny Soi off Suriwong. This is much used by the adjacent building site, a huge new Meridian Hotel, and street food vendors for the workmen. There is no right turn travelling away from Rama IV.

Reception very efficient and porter prompt. Room is very small but nicely decorated. It's a DeLuxe which is 40 baht more than the standard 1950 inc taxes and breakfasts - 6.00 to 10.30? There is an open air pool, a spa and a gym - these look gorgeous and are in a garden. The Thai restaurant looks worth a try.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/288519172.jpghttp://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/288519168.jpg

Everything is new in room 415. The bathroom is new,nice, again very small and fighting the black mould problem, unsuccessfully. Toilet paper access required contortions when sitting on the loo. Nice washbasin raised on a black granite vanity. Slivers of soap, two tiny flasks of damask rose scented bath gel and shampoo. Excellent shower with power and plenty of hot water. Didn't spot a hairdryer. Only two small bath towels - no hand towels or face cloths, no robes, no slippers. Small bowl of plastic flowers and own label tissues.

Wi-Fi available from, an extortionate, 200 baht an hour. Why do they overprice this service which means that nobody buys it. It is cheap to install and many places give it free. Nearby shops charge 40 baht an hour and they have to provide a premises, staff, air-con and a computer. They even have two computers in the lobby at 60 baht an hour.

Wardrobe new and has adequate space, quality wooden hangers and an electronic safe, The doors have frosted glass panels - curious.

The bedroom has a light-wood plastic laminate floor, cream and maroon painted walls, chunky dark brown fitted furniture, two rather ugly easy chairs covered in plastic and nice bright table lamps at the bedside sitting on a silver aluminum top - rather attractive. There is no services book but a reasonably priced room service menu and a pricey spa tariff. No notepad or pencil by the phone.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/288519171.jpghttp://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/288519170.jpg

There is a mini bar, Cola only 35 baht and Durex condoms ( Excita or Strawberry 100 baht for 3 ) flat screen television with 4 English channels out of 14. CNN - which seems to have turned into Star Sport on my set -. The picture is nice quality. but no BBC World. There is a large mirror with silver frame over the small desk area but no full length one. One bowl of plastic flowers at the bedside and one of fresh orchids on the desk. Cleaning is fair to good. The darkwood stained furniture looks like it will be high maintenance. The luggage rack is showing a lot of signs of wear.

The bed is reasonably soft, a king with 2 pillows - spares in the wardrobe. Curtains have a blackout lining but no sheers which in not nice in the daytime as one is overlooked. The view is unattractive roofs. I suspect that lower rooms have almost no view. Cleaning is fair to good.

My room is on the 4th floor. Access is by the one stately elevator. Rooms are arranged around an atrium with terazzo floors to the corridor.

I did not breakfast but looked into the room where it is served. It was very gloomy. It is a served breakfast.

I did not see many other guests during my stay. Quite a proportion of those that I saw were gay.

With a iittle more investment in frills this could do well.

A prize for the first person to identify the book on the bed and it's publishing date. A donation of 1000 baht to PGF in your name.

November 21st, 2007, 12:31
The Rose charges nearly 2,000 baht for a moldy tub? Move on darlin. You can do better.

November 21st, 2007, 12:46
A prize for the first person to identify the book on the bed and it's publishing date. A donation of 1000 baht to PGF in your name.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/padlom/menofthailand.jpg

The Men of Thailand : (6th Edition): Thailand's Culture & Gay Subculture (Paperback)
by E. G. Allyn (Author), Samorn Chaiyana (Editor)
Paperback: 326 pages
Publisher: Floating Lotus USA; 6th edition (January 1997)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0942777190
ISBN-13: 978-0942777192

Please donate the prize in the name of Malaysia Hotel ... they need the positive publicity

painai2
November 21st, 2007, 13:37
The Malaysia doesn't need to worry about bad publicity. You try showing up without a reservation and you won't get a room, even during low season. The hotel remains popular with gay tourists and if you don't like it there--go some place else.

November 21st, 2007, 13:43
Dear Wowpow,

Informative post, can't you organise it to fit the forum screen?

My fingers and arm are bored going from Left to right to read the post.

catawampuscat
November 21st, 2007, 15:08
For some reason, threads on the Malaysia Hotel always stir up things. I am waiting for the comments on how some boys
refuse to go to the Malaysia, as they fear that they will be thought of as money boys, just by going to the Malaysia.
It is as Bing stated, a very inexpensive, clean, very gay friendly and you usually have a host of boys/guys just outside hoping you might want their
companionship for a pittance.
Someone usually brings up Jimmy at the Pinnacle Hotel, just down the soi, by now.. Well , I guess I just did.. :cat:

November 21st, 2007, 15:27
padlom - well my challenge was too easy as it took less than an hour for you to won the magnificent prize which as you request will be donated - ref Malaysia Hotel.

K-quill Sorry - my 20 inches of joy (Apple Mac G5 ) does not squash the copy. It may have been because I copied and pasted it from Ting Ting. Still I'm sure the exercise did you good.

November 21st, 2007, 18:53
padlom - well my challenge was too easy as it took less than an hour for you to won the magnificent prize which as you request will be donated - ref Malaysia Hotel.
Thank you wowpow. I have now added a picture of the book, courtesy of amazon.com, which has a few used copies available. :study:

my 20 inches of joy If if true you'll have a lot of the white shoe brigade biting through the pillow for you :bootyshake:

November 21st, 2007, 19:41
... people stay at the Malaysia is because of the price ... 700 bht per night one can't grumble at those pric

November 21st, 2007, 20:28
700 bht per night one can't grumble at those pricBut people do grumble, dear boy

Up2U
November 21st, 2007, 20:49
... I am waiting for the comments on how some boys
refuse to go to the Malaysia, as they fear that they will be thought of as money boys, just by going to the Malaysia.
It is as Bing stated, a very inexpensive, clean, very gay friendly and you usually have a host of boys/guys just outside hoping you might want their
companionship for a pittance.
Someone usually brings up Jimmy at the Pinnacle Hotel, just down the soi, by now.. Well , I guess I just did.. :cat:

Thanks! ...you beat me to it!

Geezer
November 21st, 2007, 22:22
тАЬ... I am waiting for the comments on how some boys
refuse to go to the Malaysia, as they fear that they will be thought of as money boys, just by going to the Malaysia.тАЭ

Well, I can understand that. When this decrepit geezer takes a handsome young hunk into the Pinnacle or Tarntawan Place no one suspects he is a moneyboy.

November 21st, 2007, 22:29
тАЬ... I am waiting for the comments on how some boys
refuse to go to the Malaysia, as they fear that they will be thought of as money boys, just by going to the Malaysia.тАЭ

Well, I can understand that. When this decrepit geezer takes a handsome young hunk into the Pinnacle or Tarntawan Place no one suspects he is a moneyboy.

Maybe,

Its nothing to do with Pinnacle or Tarntawan

Is it possible, they are thinking, if he's only paying 700 baht at the Malaysia, what am I going to get!

Joking!

November 22nd, 2007, 01:27
Many a true word said in jest......

Uranus
November 22nd, 2007, 03:20
I have stayed at the Malaysia for 20 years, and I have never had anything to complain about. It is good value for money, in my humble opinion.

November 22nd, 2007, 03:48
I have stayed at the Malaysia for 20 years, and I have never had anything to complain about. It is good value for money, in my humble opinion.

I can't understand what all the fuss is about - as you said, its good value for money, where else can you get a double room for 700 bht with a swimming pool.

Mind you, there is a point to be made that "thai trade" will not come back or go to the Malaysia - that has happened a few times with me, its a little frustrating. Having said that, people have refused to come back to my hotel room in Boyztown, so there's a comparison.

danny99
November 25th, 2007, 12:48
Best value in Bangkok!

You can walk to the Underground station [or use motor bike taxi] and then one stop to Silom, even the 15 minute walk is quite pleasant in this weather early morning. Just left, not turn right, out of hotel or you will probably not get passed Babylon!

50 baht [with tip] each way to Silom, and on the way home at night about 80% certain to get an Isaan boy taxi driver, many of whom do not mind joining you for a drink/snack/?? in your room.

I will be staying at the Malyasia Hotel this weekend. Is this place a ok place to stay and is it close enough to the gay scene in Silom. Thanks.

November 25th, 2007, 13:32
where else can you get a double room for 700 bht with a swimming pool.Well, indeed. I'd be happy with just the double room for 700 baht, but a swimming pool in the room - that's really something

November 25th, 2007, 21:50
... yeah I dont see the problem here, if it was dirty, and dirty sheets and that sort of thing, I wouldn't stay there, whilst the towels and sheets are old, they are clean, the actual swimming is also maintained fairly well. Its very good value for money.

danny99
November 27th, 2007, 16:42
The only bed bugs are the ones sitting on the steps late at night. I ignore them as there are often less commercial ones over the road at the 7/11.

Bed bugs!.........................One recent guest had to flee his room twice..........initially after check in because of the horrible insecticide smell......and then later that night after being devoured by bed bugs.........
Also the place has a reputation as a bottom feeder hangout........maybe you do not care!

Pinnacle or Vincents might be better choices

dab69
November 27th, 2007, 23:18
was a real cutie working there last Feb.

just stunning cute

November 29th, 2007, 22:36
padlom

Prize money donated to PGF this evening at the Fabulous Beach Party.

Madam Jim announced it after someones else's 60,000 baht donation so the impact was small.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1609/8571041/15911717/290736889.jpg

November 30th, 2007, 04:13
... shows a sense of community within the gay community, however, small the donation.