PDA

View Full Version : YOu pay your due's

Shuee
November 19th, 2007, 16:43
Got this from another forum - so what hope have we got hahahah

I am a half thai, my mom is Thai and my dad is French. I can speak Thai (pretty well), but I can't read or write. I plan on taking a year abroad to study in Thailand, I need to be around the culture and my Thai family more.
When I am in Thailand, nobody really thinks that I look Thai either. Sometimes when we go out, people will ask my mom what kind of farang I am (people have asked if I was French, Australian,etc.) right in front of me!

On one instance, me and a whole bunch of my Thai family were getting on one of those thai taxi/tuk tuk, and the driver told my mom that he wanted us to pay more money for getting on because they had a farang with them (me)! My sister got on without being noticed because people say that she looks more Thai. Things like that really hurt.

PinkSilom
November 19th, 2007, 18:04
I plan on taking a year abroad to study in Thailand

So, the writer doesn't live in Thailand.

my dad is French

France perhaps? If so, he writes incredibly good English. I smell bullshit!

November 19th, 2007, 23:54
Some French speak better English than the Americans these days.....

jinks
November 20th, 2007, 01:16
Some French speak better English than the Americans these days.....

And definitely better than the Australians :clown:

November 20th, 2007, 06:47
It's not beyond the realms of belief that someone with a French father and Thai mother was brought up in an English speaking situation.

My British cousin married a Texan but they brought their kids up in Cherbourg and Dubai. Their French is excellent; Arabic non-existent.

November 20th, 2007, 07:14
Wasn't there a recent motorbike accident in which a French/Thai (age 17) boy was killed? I wasn't aware that there are so many 1/2 thai children around. I know after the vietnam war there were a lot of amerasiams that they were trying to relocate. Some really stunning looking children they were.

November 20th, 2007, 12:41
The 2000 Census of the U.S. Population was the first decadenal survey in the country to list "bi-racial" as a possible response under race/ethnicity. Surprising to the uninformed, and upsetting to the utterly ignorant, is a resulting large subpopulation of persons born of parents of different races. Were such designation possible in the censuses of individual countries of Western Europe, people would be inevitably shocked by the numbers. Since much of Europe is only now dealing with insecure feelings about living the midst of diversity - one can, perhaps, anticipate much greater apoplexy than in the U.S.

(In strict biological terms races do not exist in the human species - as races are subpopulations that exhibit signficant differences at the genotypic level indicative of movement toward becoming separate species).

Among the many photos of Asian males in magazines are those of "Eurasians", very often viewed as the orphaned offspring of White male military personnel or businessmen and Asian women. However, below the surface of this stereotype there have been significant numbers of offspring of Europeans and Asians in various countries for numerous decades. Here I am speaking not only of India, South Africa, the Philippines, etc. - but of the countries of Western Europe - where the general population has most often opted not to see them.

The ignorance is yours gentleman, and not that of the young Thai and French male referred to in opening post of this thread.

Aunty
November 20th, 2007, 15:24
Since much of Europe is only now dealing with insecure feelings about living the midst of diversity - one can, perhaps, anticipate much greater apoplexy than in the U.S..

Huh? Europeans have lived cheek to jowl in the midst of diversity for millennium. Why else do you think they have fought so many wars with each other?

Eurasians are renowned for their beauty. And given the global nature of the European, Chinese and Indian diaspora, (and the diaspora of others) people of mixed ethnicity can be born and raised anywhere in the world. I knew an extremely beautiful Eurasian man, quite quite stunning, (who used to turn silly open-mouthed queer-American heads on the streets of Boston), who was part Dutch, part Indonesian and part African. No he wasn't born in America. He was born in Jamaica, grew up in New Zealand, has Dutch citizenship and now lives in Dublin. That's what the world is like now so I have sympathy for the 16 year old Thai-French lad and his experiences in Thailand.

Personally I like the Japanese/Portuguese mix found in Brazil. Beautiful skin and hung like horses, such people have inherited the best of both parental worlds.