PDA

View Full Version : countries Thais can visit ?

Nirvana
November 18th, 2007, 21:49
info. please on countries Thais can visit without a passport (Asean countries )
tried resources forum could'nt find it ,,

thaiworthy-old
November 18th, 2007, 22:16
. . . actually, I would like to know this too. Wouldn't they need a passport for some countries and not others? (I really don't know). Which countries?

Not to hijack this thread, but I've always wanted to take a long cruise with a Thai friend. I did not know if these big luxury liners have Bangkok as their port of call, but after reading about a cruise line in an email, I learned at least one nice cruise does exist. Like the famed Oriental Express, there are excessive niceties that one can indulge in on the seas as well. (I have only taken one cruise, but it was incredible.)

An outfit called Oceania Cruises leaves Sydney, goes to Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Thursday island, Darwin, Komodo, Indonesia, Bali, Samarang, Singapore, Ko Samui and finally Bangkok. Theis particular journey lasts 21 days and is quite expensive for two people. But one could fly out to Syndey and come back on this cruise. But could a Thai make such a journey with you? Certainly a passport would be needed, I would think.

Cruises are romantic. It would be wonderful trip to be sure. Certainly, an Aussie to Thailand route would be popular, but I wonder if other routes to other nearby countries are available as well.

However you get there, there are attractions in China and elsewhere that I would not like to see alone. Any firsthand experiences helpful, too.

Thanks!

Smiles
November 18th, 2007, 22:23
" ... info. please on countries Thais can visit without a passport (Asean countries ). tried resources forum couldn't find it ... "
Googling works best:

ASEAN Member Countries:

Brunei Darussalam
Cambodia
Indonesia
Lao PDR
Malaysia
Myanmar
Philippines
Singapore
Thailand
Vietnam

You are mixing up the need for a 'passport' and the requirement for a 'visa' . . . two different animals.

I believe being a member of ASEAN means that a citizen from any of the member countries can visit any other of the others without a visa . . . but not without a passport. (Myanmar may well be an exception to this general rule at the moment.) But the privilege is not open-ended: Each of the member countries have their own rules on how long a visa-less visit can be.

Passports are an absolute necessity when visiting any foreign country . . . the need for a visa however, depends on circumstances, usually the length and purpose of the intended visit.

Cheers ...

Sen Yai
November 18th, 2007, 23:37
There are several other non-ASEAN countries that Thais can visit without a visa including Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Nepal. There are also more far flung countries that welcome Thais, for example Peru, Chile, Brazil and South Africa.

Smiles is right about the Passport though - that is generally required for international travel.

thaiworthy-old
November 19th, 2007, 00:35
http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... t5831.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/which-countries-can-thais-get-a-visa-on-arrival-t5831.html)

Sen Yai
November 19th, 2007, 01:35
info. please on countries Thais can visit without a passport (Asean countries )
tried resources forum could'nt find it ,,

Thinking about you question further, and taking it at face value: "Which ASEAN countries can Thais visit without a Passport", I think ASEAN was working on some sort of 'smart-pass' based upon national ID cards.

That would allow citizens of member states to cross borders without a traditional passport (much like some EU countries) but as far as I know, no such scheme is yet in place. And this being ASEAN, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting....

Nirvana
November 19th, 2007, 02:43
Thanks gentlemen for your answers ..might have guessed a fellow B C er had the answer ..

bing
November 19th, 2007, 08:08
If you are serious about what lines stop at Bangkok, just go the the major cruise line web sites. Princess, Royal Caribbeaan, Holland American, Celebrity, I know a few of the big ones stop at Bangkok. My observation is that the ships usually stress Viet Nam.

globalwanderer
November 19th, 2007, 11:34
As a follow up, does anyone know how easy it is for a thai to get a passport and how they go about it

TrongpaiExpat
November 19th, 2007, 12:45
As a follow up, does anyone know how easy it is for a thai to get a passport and how they go about it

They need to obtain what some call "working papers" from the home province. I guess we would call it a registry of birth or birth certificate. Momma or papa can mail it to them.

Then go to the Mall Central Bang Na in Bangkok. On the 5th floor walk out in the car park and in corner is a passport office. It takes a few days to get issued. 1050B. They now take the photo, don't take one.

November 19th, 2007, 17:31
So no need to buy an English football club? Should Thais be allowed to buy more than 49% of anything outside Thailand?

November 20th, 2007, 11:41
Anybody have any experience how difficult it is for Thais to get a Tourist Visa for Australia? I'd like to go to Sydney with my BF (College educated, good job).

topjohn5
November 21st, 2007, 00:32
Here is a search engine that is very accurate. It's database of visa requirements are search-able by country you are traveling to or through, and by passport holder or alien residency.
Hope this helps,

John

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... formation/ (http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/)

scroll to the bottom of the page.......

netrix
November 21st, 2007, 12:10
thanks for the post John. i'm going on a cruise from Hong Kong to China, Japan, and back to Hong Kong in March/April with my Thai bf. I used the link above to see about visas for him and it provided very helpful and detailed information. thanks again!

November 21st, 2007, 14:13
The Thai bf of a farang friend of mine told me he could not get a Thai passport because he did not have the required "army" papers - evidence that he appeared for the Thai draft when he was scheduled. Just passing along as a possible "problem" if you contemplate having your Thai bf join you for some international travel.

Hmmm
November 21st, 2007, 16:33
Anybody have any experience how difficult it is for Thais to get a Tourist Visa for Australia? I'd like to go to Sydney with my BF (College educated, good job).

Like other countries, the Australians want to see good reasons why a Thai is likely to return to Thailand rather than overstay his visa.

I have a British friend, resident up-country with an ex-barboy bf for over 5 years. They've been downunder twice. The bf has only HS education and no job, but some of their assets are in his name - at least a car. He also now has some small plots of land in his name.

The fact that they're gay has not seemingly been an issue - although the bf did get a bit hot under the collar when the question was put to them as to whether they were 'partners'. He hadn't heard that wonderful gender-neutral term in that context before, and thought the interviewer was asking if they were business partners. He responded with something along the lines of "We're bloody boyfriends for Budda's sake !!".

They got their visas.

The other criteria that are often mentioned in this context are evidence of previous travel (and return), and a letter from the employer that the 'good' job will still be there when he returns.

ned kelly-old
November 21st, 2007, 17:46
Hi Jake Nasty, If you are a non-Aussie your bf will have an easier time in getting a visa as the authorities consider it less likely that your bf would overstay. You will need a visa as well though which can be obtained by your travel agent or on-line.
If you are an Aussie, the fact that your bf has a verifable job will probably be enough for a first tourist visit, although it is likely they will want to see proof of salary, letter from employer granting holiday leave. Processing of visa's is now outsourced and is generally a little easier than used to be the case for bona-fide travellers.

anakot
December 8th, 2007, 13:25
Has anyone here taken bf to NZ for a week or so.

Visa would be a requirement of course but are the NZers easier to deal with than the Aussies when it comes to a Thai national on a visit.

krobbie
December 8th, 2007, 13:54
I am not sure of periods over 30 days. We have a reciprical arrangement with Thailand that a 30 day visa is automatic as it is when Kiwis go to Thailand.

As it happens I contacted the Royal Thai Embassy here today as my next visit is 35 days. Whoops. I couldn't get a return flight in February so I have to go over my 30 day period. Now I know I could just pay the fine before leaving but I do not want to get on the wrong side of Thai immigration/customs and have overstayer on my record there and risk rejection on furture trips ie. rejection from the authorities - the other I can deal with.

I will let you know what the outcome is but I suspect I am going to have to get a Tourist Visa. I have played allo my trumps when inquiring ... what those are I will tell you in due course.

I will inquire with immigration about Tourist Visa for Thai with NZ lover or other Commonwealth country, coming into NZ for a period longer than 30 days.

Cheers
Krobbie.