PDA

View Full Version : Bars of Yesteryear

November 18th, 2007, 11:14
My stuff arrived from the UK and I was leafing through a 1997 copy of The Men of Thailand. There was a 1999 edition and then they stopped printing.

I was struck by how many bars are no longer there.

In the Bangkok Silom Surawong area:

Go-go and Host bars no longer around or changed beyond recognition are:

Barbiery, Blue Star ,Chardonnay, Charlie's Hidaway, Glaxy ? J-Ju Pub, Jupiter Club, Khun, New Man, Super Lex, The Mask, Top Man, Twiight Club

Bars that survived:

Aquarius, Golden Cock? My Way, Screw Boy, Tawan,

Happily there are now many more gay venues than then.

bing
November 18th, 2007, 13:53
I remember I had trouble finding Barbiery. It was in the center of things, but it takes a while to get your bearings in any city. Once I found it, it became my favorite place. Saw my first real wild show there. Painted guys under black light. One of the boys i had sitting with me understood I was like a kid in the candy store. He was perfect for me and let me enjoy every minute I was there. Never saw anything like the soap suds show before. It was one of those peak experiences. Totally loved that place.

TrongpaiExpat
November 18th, 2007, 14:16
When Barbiery on Suriwong finally closed, after a brief name change to Dream Boy Barbiery it opened a very short lived three story jungle theme bar on Soi Tawawan. It was a nice concept, it was not open very long, sometime around 1999 or 2000. I have no idea what happen.

Khun was "Sweet Khun Cigar" and a few other names. A French guy was arrested in the short time room with an underage and they changed the name a few more times.

Super A, was a big bar in the late 80's and early 90's and gradually fell to sleaze and squalor but the old sign still comes out from time to time, next to but really the same as "Nice Boys".

Nature boys is missing, that was there in 1999.

Super Lex (lux) was know for their shows.

jinks
November 18th, 2007, 15:17
I stayed at the Ambiance on my first couple of trips.
Fax booking, no internet reservation service. Hugh was really adept at scribbling a confirmation note on your fax and sending it back looking as if it had bounced.

What I remember most in these early day were ........

Breakfast at Olivers on the corner of the sio which is now part of Boyz Boyz Boyz.

Dinner at La Bistro oppiste BBB.

Drinks and cabaret at Cock Pit, with the front RH table reserved every night. A bottle of Bacardi and private waiter.

The best memory is of my first friend, Jim. Seen her (circa 1996) on the now overbuilt roof garden on the Ambiance.
He taught me oh so much about Thailand, its culture and customs.

jpg

November 19th, 2007, 09:18
the one I still miss in Pattaya is not really a bar but a disco Disco Duck close to Pattaya Thai were after closing times till early in the morning a lot of the boys came to enjoy there self

Marsilius
November 19th, 2007, 12:55
And a quick word for the long-gone The Ball Park, on Second Road to the north of the intersection with Pattaya Klang. In the early 1990s it had the raunchiest show in town!

November 19th, 2007, 16:33
In Bangkok my favorite was the Midnight Cowboy in Saphan Kwai and in pattaya it was the Cock Pit and then the Manny bar.

danny99
November 19th, 2007, 16:36
Back in the 70's my favourite bar was Lonely Boy run by an American ex G.I from the Korean war and his kick-boxing champ boyfriend. The boys were very well controlled and were not allowed to approach you unless you wished it. Regular customers were sometimes invited to watch the boys train with the master in the back yard behind the bar, afternoons, sometimes they even did kick boxing naked, a bit scary.

I think that bar is now Noriega's Salsa bar in Silom Soi 4, next door used to be an excellent massage with very straight looking boys, from Isaan of course.

My stuff arrived from the UK and I was leafing through a 1997 copy of The Men of Thailand. There was a 1999 edition and then they stopped printing.

I was struck by how many bars are no longer there.

In the Bangkok Silom Surawong area:

Go-go and Host bars no longer around or changed beyond recognition are:

Barbiery, Blue Star ,Chardonnay, Charlie's Hidaway, Glaxy ? J-Ju Pub, Jupiter Club, Khun, New Man, Super Lex, The Mask, Top Man, Twiight Club

Bars that survived:

Aquarius, Golden Cock? My Way, Screw Boy, Tawan,

Happily there are now many more gay venues than then.

Brad the Impala
November 19th, 2007, 17:31
Back in the 70's my favourite bar was Lonely Boy run by an American ex G.I from the Korean war and his kick-boxing champ boyfriend. The boys were very well controlled and were not allowed to approach you unless you wished it. Regular customers were sometimes invited to watch the boys train with the master in the back yard behind the bar, afternoons, sometimes they even did kick boxing naked, a bit scary.

Indeed Donny, I was a regular visitor to The Lonely Bar while living in Bangkok in the early 70's. For several years my post was sent C/o The Lonely Boy! I even stayed upstairs for a while. I celebrated my 22nd birthday there, perhaps you recognise someone?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/alcibiades/My22ndBirthday.jpg[/img]

dab69
November 19th, 2007, 22:15
stumbled upon city boys(?) along Sukumvit Soi 2 in Bkk.
They really rescued my last days of my second vacation back in 98-
now a Lotus dealership

I had the same guide book back then, but
didn't want to bring it back through customs.