PDA

View Full Version : A furious burst of inactivity

jimnbkk
November 16th, 2007, 09:37
There are a few needed road projects that have been started in Pattaya/Jomtien. When I was here in June, these projects were being worked: The Thraphraya Road widening between Pattaya, over the hill into Jomtien had begun. Also, the road in front of the proposed Ocean 1 Condominum, which was to be straightened and widened to intersect with Thraphraya at the monkey statue had begun construction. I've been here now for the month of November and NOTHING is happening! The pesky stoplight at the corner of Threppasit and Thraphraya Road that was sorting out the ever-increasing traffic volume at that corner has been removed in favor of the old-fashioned way of the one with the biggest balls going first. The curbs along both of these road projects have been "installed". I use quotes because some of the new curbs have already begun to crack. Otherwise, there is no work going on. The road at the Family Mart/Thraphraya road has been "holed" with 6-inch diameter holes spaced every two feet for it's entire length making walking and motor biking a real challenge. But nothing is being done now. Nothing. Nada. There's a sewage leak into the road up from where I stay at Jomtien View Talay Condo 2. It leaks into the road and runs down past the entrance to the condo, wetting the street and making walking out/in from the place a real treat. I understand it's become famous in the local newspapers, but, again, nothing happening to fix it.

I see that View Talay Condo 7 has essentially stopped. It looks like it's up to the height approved as previously reported in this forum (14 meters?). Now, nothing. View Talay Condo 5 building is up to full height, but little is happening. The new Ocean 1 Condo (the 91 storey building) is not started still. I see immobile construction cranes all over the area.

What is happening? Is this area in a recession already? Do they stop work because of the tourist season?

Amazing Thailand