PDA

View Full Version : HIV+ boyfriend update

November 15th, 2007, 04:38
My boyfriend returned home today after his longest stay in hospital for a long time. He was on an intravenous drip for three days and was very ill indeed. As I feared it was meningitis again which flared up as his CD4 count suddenly plummeted. His viral load is way up so not good news.

But the meningitis is under control and he's had permission from his doctor to go home. On previous occasions he's discharged himself but this time he was in no condition to and the doctor made it very clear to him that he was so seriously ill that he wouldn't survive without the treatment he was having. Even an appearance by a ghost failed to scare him into going home this time. According to my boyfriend the hospital is full of ghosts which scare him terribly. There's no point me trying to dissuade him as it's part of who he is and I wouldn't change him for the world. The temptation to say "Don't be silly" is sometimes overpowering but what's "silly" to me is totally real to him.

There's no clear explanation at the moment why his CD4 count has dropped after a equally dramatic rise a few weeks ago.

As before the treatment he's had has saved his life and I can't praise his doctor enough.

As for my boyfriend he's bounced back with his usual resilience and charmed everyone, as he always does, and ended up having a meal out with his doctor.

Only just over a month until I'm back in Thailand and, hopefully, Cambodia depending on how well my boyfriend is.

Aunty
November 15th, 2007, 12:39
There's no clear explanation at the moment why his CD4 count has dropped after a equally dramatic rise a few weeks ago.

I wonder if it has something to do with the quality of these Thai HIV generics that many are put on in Thailand? I worry that their formulation/dose potency is not up to scratch! It's good to hear he's bounced back anyway. Send him our wishes for good karma.

November 15th, 2007, 13:04
Bless him.

krobbie
November 15th, 2007, 14:14
... I bet this will be the longest month of your life. As for your bf "bouncing back" ... you will soon see the reality.

If he is in the least bit fatigued or tired, don't drag him off to Cambodia for goodness sake. His immune system, such as it currently is, will be stretched to capacity and it is vital he sleep or do very little but eat and rest, so he can get back some of its fighting power.

Having thrown in my 2 cents (again), I hope he is truly on the up this time. I hope you have a wonderful time when you both get back together. Love is a really, really good heeler. Dish it out by the bucket-load.

Cheers
krobbie

Aunty
November 15th, 2007, 16:03
... I bet this will be the longest month of your life. As for your bf "bouncing back" ... you will soon see the reality.

If he is in the least bit fatigued or tired, don't drag him off to Cambodia for goodness sake. His immune system, such as it currently is, will be stretched to capacity and it is vital he sleep or do very little but eat and rest, so he can get back some of its fighting power.

Having thrown in my 2 cents (again), I hope he is truly on the up this time. I hope you have a wonderful time when you both get back together. Love is a really, really good heeler. Dish it out by the bucket-load.

Cheers
krobbie

That's true Krobbie. The immune system has to rebuild itself. One can crudely think of HIV as leprosy of the immune system, and the virus eats away at immune cells killing them. When the virus is knocked back the bone marrow (where the immune cells are made) has to make a whole lot more to replace all the ones lost, and the thymus (where the T-cells learn self from non-self) has to educate them all. It all takes time and lots of energy. Rest and good nourishment (quality protein, fruits and vegetables) helps a lot.

November 15th, 2007, 20:42
I wonder if it has something to do with the quality of these Thai HIV generics that many are put on in Thailand

I too wonder about this Jon, as the medication in the west is of such good quality it is very unusual for even someone who had a CD4 count below 20 not to get it back up to above 250-300 within a few years of starting medication. Aunty is also right about diet (quality protein, fruits and vegetables) also helps the body's systems.

I wish there was more that we could do to help you both out, but other than wishing him well and hope that he manages to pull back again, and of course if you want to ask something fire away.

Also if you can manage to meet up with Marc as he is also positive he might be able to help you more with advice.

Again, good luck to you both as you well deserve it.

November 16th, 2007, 01:22
Thanks to all for the support.

Our planned return to Cambodia was his idea as he enjoyed it so much a few years ago. It's been useful as something for him to look forward and I don't want to disappoint him at the moment.

His next CD4 count is due in two weeks time and I'll wait until I know what that's like before I make a final decision on the Cambodia trip. I know he'll try and hide it if he's not feeling well nearer the time but he's a terrible liar and I can always tell if he's not feeling well once I'm actually with him.

If there's the slightest suggestion that the meningitis is returning or he's not strong enough he'll be straight back in hospital and certainly not on a plane to Sien Reap.

At the moment he's doing everything he can to convince me that he's well enough with repeated claims of "me stong, me stong!" (I'm strong). His doctor is also OK about it. I'll wait a bit longer before making a decision.