PDA

View Full Version : Anna's Cafe Saladaeng - now MK Gold

Sen Yai
November 9th, 2007, 19:57
The closure of Anna's Cafe on Soi Saladaeng was discussed here a few months ago. It was reported that the site would be re-developed for another condo.

However, I notice the the old building has been tarted up and taken over by the MK group, given a poncy french name ~ Le Siam ~ and branded as an MK Gold restaurant.

I've eaten at other MK Gold restaurants and the food is not bad, but not very exciting, as you would expect from a large chain.

Has anyone tried Le Siam on Soi Saladaeng?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/AnnasMK.jpg

November 10th, 2007, 08:43
Yep. Half of the place is standard MK fare, the other half is thai food. When u enter they ask whether u want thai food or the MK hotpot - turn left for thai (if i remember correctly), turn right for hotpot.
The place has had a renovation since MK took over, more formal decor now. Quite classy. Feels like u should be dressed up to eat there.
The Thai food was quite good, usual upmarket tourist style and not too expensive for the standard of the place. Seemed to be a lot of staff even by thai standards, and they were very attentive and friendly.
Overall pretty good if u were wanting to impress somebody.

November 10th, 2007, 08:47
The old maitre d' from Anna's (Charlie) has opened a new place next to the Tawan Daeng Beerhous at the corner of Narathiwat Ratchanakarin and Rama III. The advertising promises the same food and ambiance from the old Anna's, and the ever-affable Charlie will be there to greet as usual.

adman5000
November 10th, 2007, 10:10
My favorite part of Anna's Cafe was the handsome waiters!

November 10th, 2007, 10:17
My favorite part of Anna's Cafe was the handsome waiters!

If I know Charlie, you'll find them all at his new place.

allieb
November 10th, 2007, 11:26
The old maitre d' from Anna's (Charlie) has opened a new place next to the Tawan Daeng Beerhous at the corner of Narathiwat Ratchanakarin and Rama III. The advertising promises the same food and ambiance from the old Anna's, and the ever-affable Charlie will be there to greet as usual.

Thanks for the info. I will avoid the place like the plague. I go to restaurants for good food not to see good looking boys, they can be seen all over Bangkok. Anna's food was shit and the service dreadful. Whoever has taken over (MK)will be a lot better than Anna's

November 10th, 2007, 13:37
I ate at Anna one time, mostly fried foods....nothing special.

adman5000
November 10th, 2007, 18:11
I was never impressed by any of the food. I only went a few times because it was convenient. But if I am going to a place for convenience, I would rather look at a handsome waiter than an ugly one.

November 10th, 2007, 18:19

Thanks for the info. I will avoid the place like the plague. I go to restaurants for good food not to see good looking boys, they can be seen all over Bangkok. Anna's food was shit and the service dreadful. Whoever has taken over (MK)will be a lot better than Anna's

That must be why it was full to capacity with happy Thais every night.

Brad the Impala
November 10th, 2007, 22:30
[quote="Gomez Fong":19r1slkx]The old maitre d' from Anna's (Charlie) has opened a new place next to the Tawan Daeng Beerhous at the corner of Narathiwat Ratchanakarin and Rama III. The advertising promises the same food and ambiance from the old Anna's, and the ever-affable Charlie will be there to greet as usual.

That must be why it was full to capacity with happy Thais every night.[/quote:19r1slkx]

That must be why it closed. Too popular. Risk of public disturbance from those unable to get a table at a restaurant filled to capacity every night. It's amazing any of us ever managed to eat there.

November 10th, 2007, 22:58
[quote=allieb][quote="Gomez Fong":1kk9wico]The old maitre d' from Anna's (Charlie) has opened a new place next to the Tawan Daeng Beerhous at the corner of Narathiwat Ratchanakarin and Rama III. The advertising promises the same food and ambiance from the old Anna's, and the ever-affable Charlie will be there to greet as usual.

That must be why it was full to capacity with happy Thais every night.[/quote:1kk9wico]

That must be why it closed. Too popular. Risk of public disturbance from those unable to get a table at a restaurant filled to capacity every night. It's amazing any of us ever managed to eat there.[/quote:1kk9wico]

That's one of the main reasons for restaurants closing down Brad, being too popular and full to capacity every night. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

G.

allieb
November 10th, 2007, 23:28
That must be why it was full to capacity with happy Thais every night.

Of course any Thai who has pulled a farang,being taken out to dinner and being paid on top of that is bound to look happy, even if eating the worst food in town. I saw all the Thai boys and girls with their LOS smiles in there too but it was still a crap place.

I suppose you will tell us now Thais with Thais well a bit thin on the ground. everytime I passed it was mostly Farang with Thai I always pass the place as I stay in Saladaeng just across the road when in BKK.

November 11th, 2007, 00:19
Perhaps it lost its lease? There are still Anna's operating at other locations (e.g. Wireless Road). The food served was home-style, authentic Thai food. That's why some less sophisticated farangs might not have liked it.