PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fire in Bangkok

November 7th, 2007, 19:28
Looking toward Sathorn

This must be a 25 alarmer as the sirens haven't stopped in an hour and they are all lined in through the surrounding sois. Maybe a hundred of them. It could be the back yard of the Babylon (though I'd guess it just the other side of Nam du Phli) near where the village was on fire a year or two (?) ago. Smells awful, like rubber tires. No news online yet.

November 7th, 2007, 22:21
According to Thai Rath, it was a fire in slum community on Soi Suan Plu.

http://www.thairath.co.th/online.php?se ... tent=67374 (http://www.thairath.co.th/online.php?section=newsthairathonline&content=67374)

bing
November 7th, 2007, 22:36
Is this fire near Aquarius Guest House?

November 7th, 2007, 22:50
No, it's the slum soi that dead ends at a gate where you can get through to Soi Ngam Duplee (I think).

November 7th, 2007, 23:14

Sadly this is sometimes a normal procedure (to start a fire) when a Fat Cat wants to clear out his land for development

November 7th, 2007, 23:18

Sadly this is sometimes a normal procedure (to start a fire) when a Fat Cat wants to clear out his land for development

How would YOU get squatters off land that belonged to you?

November 7th, 2007, 23:41
I'd send for Gomez Fong; he's obviously got the answers- and, equally obviously, no scruples.

November 7th, 2007, 23:47
I'd send for Gomez Fong; he's obviously got the answers- and, equally obviously, no scruples.

Oh, Nelson ya big boob. I never gave my opinion or answer one way or another, now did I?

If you want to know, if I were the land owner I would give the slum squatters free lemonade and candy apples until they loved me so much they agreed to go squat somewhere else.

November 8th, 2007, 05:59
Smells awful, like rubber tires.
And I thought it was Hominturn burning his old used tampons :albino:

November 8th, 2007, 07:36
And I thought it was Hominturn burning his old used tamponsI give mine to the deserving poor

November 8th, 2007, 07:46
And I thought it was Hominturn burning his old used tampons :albino:

Well it is not so quite distrurbing as that, but China has the news this morning.

Big fire burns down dozens of houses in Bangkok

www.chinaview.cn (http://www.chinaview.cn) 2007-11-07 21:11:38

BANGKOK, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) -- More than 30 houses in one of Bangkok's central blocks were burnt down after one house inside caught fire late Wednesday.

The flame was finally put down at about 8:20 p.m. (1320 GMT) after dozens of fire trucks fought with the fire for nearly one hour.

However, more than 30 houses in the block was completely burnt down since most residences inside were wood buildings, the FM 100 Traffic Radio reported.

The block was between Sathorn Road and Rama 4 Road, both main streets of Bangkok. Witnesses told the radio that several wounded residents have been rescued while the rescuers are continuing their search and rescue effort.

Most of the streets near the block were cut off.

From a high building nearby, a black smoke column still could be seen clearly despite of the dark.

The reason of the fire is still under investigation. But, the cool weather from November to January, generally, is a high-risk fire period for the Bangkokians who live in wood buildings since they usually torch need fires near their houses to get warm.

November 8th, 2007, 07:51
The reason of the fire is still under investigation. But, the cool weather from November to January, generally, is a high-risk fire period for the Bangkokians who live in wood buildings since they usually torch need fires near their houses to get warm.

Aw, darn. "Evil landlord smokes out squatters" would have been much more fun, right Nelson?

November 8th, 2007, 14:27
If the Xinhua News agency says that Bangkok squatters are shivering in the cold I think we should believe them. Cutting off the air-conditiioning would be kinder than setting fire to their huts though.

November 12th, 2007, 17:30
No, it's the slum soi that dead ends at a gate where you can get through to Soi Ngam Duplee (I think).

Correct. There is the connecting whole in the wall to Soin Nantha or Babylon.
Or opp. the preachers seminars. The area is up for new upmarket housing developments and there are many problems since people oppose any relocation. It looks like sweeping the grounds "Thai style". Will see and wait.

November 12th, 2007, 18:58
They're having one in London to match right now. Strangely close to the Olympic site 555