PDA

View Full Version : John Botting

November 6th, 2007, 17:14
I"ve been told that John Botting is currently in Bangkok Pattaya hospital following surgery for colon cancer

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 6th, 2007, 17:17
then let's send him our best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery. He's a nice chap and he couldn't be in a better hospital.

November 6th, 2007, 17:21
That's terrible. And John's a relatively young guy. Hope he comes through OK.

Brad the Impala
November 6th, 2007, 17:27
That's terrible. And John's a relatively young guy. Hope he comes through OK.

Let's hope that he can cope with the trauma of bed baths.

November 6th, 2007, 19:36
Wow. Hope he makes a good recovery and is free of that awful disease.

Wesley
November 6th, 2007, 21:16
Having just been prematurely diagnosed with Colon cancer I can tell you mentally its a tough thing to go through. I was fortunate nothing malignant about what I have and no surgery required. So, I understand how he feels since I went for two weeks before I found out for sure all was okay.

I certainly wish him all the best in every way.

Wesley

catawampuscat
November 7th, 2007, 00:27
I hope John Botting is ok with having his personal medical condition posted here and it would be great if it was a hoax.

If factual, I am sure all posters will join me in extending our best wishes for a speedy recovery.
We are all one community and like the political parties in democratic countries, we sometimes hate each other but rally
together for the common good and well being of all in our community... :cat:

November 7th, 2007, 01:31
Hang in there John I wish you a speedy recovery

Bob
November 7th, 2007, 03:45
If true, best wishes, John.

November 7th, 2007, 07:40
John,

Hope you are back on the board soon and hope everything turns out for the good!

I and others on here, know only too well what you are going through with Cancer, and I hope you recover quickly and fully.

November 7th, 2007, 07:42
I don't know John personally apart from his postings on this board but I would like to add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

November 7th, 2007, 08:23
I am hoping for a good outcome with this. Best of luck.

November 7th, 2007, 09:36
Despite our differences on this board, I want you to know that my wishes are for you to make a full and quick recovery.

Choc Dee,

George.

Lunchtime O'Booze
November 7th, 2007, 12:09
but I like the guy..and wish him all the best.

I hope someone who knows him better posts an update on his health !.

Afterall-he's a VIP now !! ( then again so are all Swatdee members)

sending you healthy thoughts John ! :cat:

Aunty
November 7th, 2007, 12:20
If true, good luck and best wishes.

colmx
November 25th, 2007, 23:06
Hi All
I missed this thread first time around...
Does amyone have any updates on how John is doing?

JB has been a good friend to both myself and Bf over the years - Hope he is doing well...

lonelywombat
November 26th, 2007, 05:24
May I add my best wishes to John for a rapid and total recovery

It raises the question for those living in LOS, do you include a colonoscopy or discuss in your annual checkups.

Whilst it is not needed annually, my first found 4 polyps which were removed and follow ups have gradually moved out from 6 months to now 3 years

Colon cancer is the third most common form of cancer in the western world, but it can be identified early and treated. Every man over 50 should discuss this with his doctor when he does his annual prostate test.

for more info just google colon cancer

BTW there is no pain or discomfort. here is a description of the procedure
http://www.mydr.com.au/default.asp?article=2475

Aunty
November 26th, 2007, 07:55
You raise an exceptionally good point lonelywombat. Most men by the time they are 50 will have several polyps (cauliflower like growths) in their colons (large intestine) Almost all (but not all) bowel cancers arise from these polyps. It is extremely important for all men when they turn 50 to have a colonoscopy examination to determine how many polyps they have, and to have them removed at the same time. If there is a family history of bowel cancer, then these examinations should start earlier around 40-45. Repeat colonoscopies should then be done about every five years.

For most gay men this should be regarded as a fabulous time, never before has so many people been so terribly interested in their arseholes!

pronto
November 27th, 2007, 03:17
BTW there is no pain or discomfort.
Having just very recently had this procedure myself, I can further attest that there is no pain nor discomfort. Agree with the posters that everyone, around "that" age, should give due consideration to having this very important procedure.

November 27th, 2007, 08:15
BTW there is no pain or discomfort.
Having just very recently had this procedure myself, I can further attest that there is no pain nor discomfort. ......

They put you out for the actual procedure so of course there is no pain. Best sleep I ever had :flower:

But the prep! UGH. No food for 24 hours and then you have to drink 4 liters (1 gallon) of what can be best described as "seawater"...one cup every 10 minutes. BLEAH! Then you get the fun of running to the toilet after every glass of
"poo juice". :pottytrain5:

A lot of men, being straight, are terrified of this procedure probably because they live in mortal fear, and a deep sense of shame, of something being stuck up their ass. I don't think most gay men have this problem.
For me the issue was having to drink a whole gallon of a non-alcholic beverage without even a chaser! :drug:

Kidding aside...
Hope JB is doing better.

Wesley
November 27th, 2007, 09:37
The day before is the hateful part of it the procedure itself is no biggie.

Wes

November 27th, 2007, 15:24
Well i can testify that if they dont put you to sleep properly then there most definitely is pain. My language was pretty choice i can tell you.

December 8th, 2007, 17:10
Bringing this back to the top and back on topic.

Any news of John Botting?

December 10th, 2007, 21:24
This was included in an article entitled "Rotary Club of Taksin Pattaya welcomes three new members" in the current edition of Pattaya Mail on page 25:

President John Botting is still hospitalized following two major surgeries, so vice president Jean took receipt of the flower bouquet.
For those who may not know, John is the current president of the Rotary Club of Taksin-Pattaya.

Dodger
December 10th, 2007, 21:34
John if you're reading this, I hope you have a fast and successful recovery.

I spoke with Monty shortly after you were admitted in the hospital, although couldn't get any update on your condition before departing LOS.

Please take care mate, and keep your hands off those male nurses.

Mai pen rai

Vic

January 11th, 2008, 09:19
DELETED

January 11th, 2008, 09:21
... best wishes, John

Bob
January 11th, 2008, 09:47
Sounds like you've been through hell and back, John. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

PeterUK
January 11th, 2008, 10:17
A brief, dignified message encompassing a great deal of suffering. Good luck, John.

January 11th, 2008, 12:54
John! What a mess to get into, my dear friend, did you feel anything before you went to the Hospital for a check up, what were the signs, I ask because many of us could be in the same boat, as many men Including me, hate going for check ups and leave it to the last moment.

Hopefully they can slow the Cancer down or even keep it under control, you do have what seems to be the main Ingredient for a longer life, living with Cancer, your not to old to fight it.

I hope you get stronger on a daily basis, try to smile as much as you can and surround your self with love.

Try these, I hear they are very good and Informative groups, my father who was also a Policeman had it and found them very helpful.

http://www.cancerindex.org/clinks6a.htm

http://www.colonclub.com/2008May.html

http://www.bowelcancersupport-yeovil.co.uk/

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/171/

http://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/home/support-for-you

Hope to see you in the fullness of time, when your stronger again.

My preyers are truly with you.

LMTYU :bounce:

January 11th, 2008, 13:25
Wow! You have been through the wars. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

January 11th, 2008, 15:48
DELETED

January 11th, 2008, 15:54
I too hope you continue to get well.
Not really wanting to pry John, but there has been debate over the treatment at Pattaya Bangkok Hospital vs say Bumrungrad in Bangkok. You mentioned getting a very bad infection while in Pattaya and then was transferred to Bangkok for treatment.

After having heart stints (angioplasty) in Pattaya Bangkok Hospital, I also got an infection and then shingles.

When you feel up to it, I would like to know your opinion.

May the New Year be better for you

January 11th, 2008, 17:23
Again, l don't know John, but l send him all my blessings, for his body, and his mind. That is where you have to be strong. From the posts on here about John in such a short time of the initial posting he is certainly a very popular man.
I really will say a prayer for him.

pp

Dodger
January 11th, 2008, 17:32
John,

It's good to hear from you mate.

I, like everyone else, was shocked to hear about your condition, especially considering your age. I know you as a person who keeps physically fit - with a high energy level, and just know that these factors will help to get you back on your feet again.

I first heard about your condition from our mutual compadre at the Hut back in October and kept praying for the best for you. You were the main topic of conversation and sadly missed among so many friends that you've cultivated over time. I'll be back on the dusty sois in April and want to see that handsome smile of yours again...so just get off your lazy ass already.

I hope you have a fast and successful recovery my friend...and my thoughts will remain with you.

Vic

Aunty
January 11th, 2008, 17:41
Good luck!

January 11th, 2008, 18:28
Welcome back, Mr. Botting! That was quite an intense few months you had. I hope your therapy continues well and you are back to normal soon. That ARDS can be nasty stuff, but it sounds like you came out on top of it.

While doing so internet research on ARDS, I came upon this chilling statement on the www.ards.org (http://www.ards.org) web site:

"Thousands and thousands of Americans suffer from ARDS each year. Many more suffer throughout the world. Until the recent past, this devastating condition was uniformly fatal. However, since ARDS was first described in 1967, steady progress has been made in reducing mortality."

Thanks for the reminder to have a physical. It's been a few years for me, and complacency is the worst enemy for early detection of so many ailments.

yaraboy
January 11th, 2008, 21:30
Hey John..............Seems only yesterday that you were in Vientiane and yet you have been through so much since, Good luck;watch your diet and I hope to see you in Lao one day

bao-bao
January 11th, 2008, 21:57
Add my best wishes to the list, John. I've known two who have "beat" that type of cancer and one who just finished 6 months of chemo for it. It's one of the more containable forms, I've learned.

Hang in there and keep your spirits up. The mind is a powerful tool for things like this.

...and for any of you other guys over 50, get yourselves checked!

January 12th, 2008, 02:22
Let me add my wishes for a full and speedy recovery. All the best.

krobbie
January 12th, 2008, 02:37
I am also unknown to you but follow things on the board (including your recent disappearance and now resurrection). Glad to hear you are on the mend again.

Are you still in Bangkok or are you in Pattaya? I shall be in BKK on Monday evening (from new Zealand) and thought I may be welcome to visit, if you are indeed in BKK.

Please let me know where you are and if you are up to saying hello or if you would rather be left alone right now. Let's face it, we never look our stunning selves when in hospital. I should know, having had to go back for more ops on my amputated leg a few months ago.

Anyhow, all the best. You have been missed, even as a target for some. You know how it goes here.

Cheers
krobbie

travelerjim
January 12th, 2008, 08:41
Hello John,

You have been missed...Thank you for your update.

It seems like only yesterday that I saw you and yours sitting happily at Monty's
enjoying each other's company and sipping on a drink while
the music played on at Monty's.

How life can change in a flash....when one least expects it!

My philosophy in life has been
"Get out and smell the roses...while you can!"

Your willingness to share your life blessings and experiences with your friends
and your multi-business successes speaks volumes of good Karma for you JB...

And, when coupled with your commitment to share with the less fortunate for the
betterment of the community as a whole...surely shows the fine man you indeed are!

I am sure the Rotary Club of Taskin-Pattaya misses your leadership as its President.

If there is anything I or my bf can do for you...please pm me...

Also, as a semi-retired insurance health insurance professional, if I can be of any assistance to you
in filing any health insurance claims, at any time, please do not hesitate to pm me.

Take good care John...
Good to know you are here and best wishes for success
in gaining back better health for years to come.

TravelerJim

Dick
January 12th, 2008, 08:47
Here's hoping you'll feel better sooner rather than later.
All the best for a speedy recovery, and lay off the hamburgers.

January 12th, 2008, 13:30
DELETED

January 12th, 2008, 13:33
DELETED

January 12th, 2008, 14:00
DELETED

Bob
January 12th, 2008, 23:18
The typical danger of picking up anything at the hospital involves a staph infection (MRSA) which can range from mild to rather nasty. Related to sanitation but it occurs in even the best hospitals all over the world.

ARDS is acute respiratory distress syndrome and, I think, is just a classification for a certain level of damage to one's lungs (where the lungs are so damaged that they don't insert enough oxygen into one's blood). The usual causes, according to one site, are:
1. Sepsis. This is a condition in which bacteria infect the bloodstream.
2. Pneumonia. This is an infection in the lungs.
3. Severe bleeding due to an injury to the body.
4. An injury to the chest or head, like a severe blow.
5. Breathing in harmful fumes or smoke.
6. Inhaling vomited stomach contents from the mouth.
#3, #4 and #5 sure as hell shouldn't happen in a hospital but the other causes often do happen there (sometimes as a result of improper administration of anesthesia).

ARDS has a 30+ mortality rate but, for those that get past that, most recover normal lung function over a 3-6 month time period.

Sounds like you'll get over this, John, but, as you said, it'll take some time. Best wishes.